PDA

View Full Version : National property management companies

Rob's Lawn Care
08-15-2005, 10:30 AM
Does anyone do any work maintaining yards for any of these national places?
Taking pictures before and after, internet uploading & billing them, a good fee for the local work sound good. who would have thought so high tech for mowing grass! Is there someone that is doing this now? :rolleyes:

MarcSmith
08-15-2005, 10:40 AM
I tried to to get my customers into Email billing and pay-pal paying, back when they were offering $5 to join...I even offered up a small discount just to see if it would fly...but I had no takers.....Id love to do email billing....just attach the bill as a PDF file and no stamps, no envelopes, no folding........No paper cuts.....No printer ink....I think its doable, but you'd still have to rely on USPS or hand delivery for the older folks who are not internet savy....

Ric
08-15-2005, 10:41 AM
Rob

Read this thread first

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=115635

Now what is your take on National Management Companies????

MarcSmith
08-15-2005, 11:28 AM
Wow what a good read.......I could never understand why Company A hires Company B to Hire Copmany C. Then Compnay A still hires people to watch over Company B and C on such a large scale. And waste som much money doing it.

I know that I get paid to watch my guys and manage my department, and to also watch my subs do their work properly. but it a much much smaller scale.

Ric
08-15-2005, 11:48 AM
Marc

The bottom line is the little Guy get dumped on in the big picture and should stay away from these groups. Unfortunately, They have some fast talking salemen who really don't care who they hurt.

I am Glad I brought this thread up to where it may be veiwed by more people. I think it is our duty to inform as many of the smaller operators as possible, so they do not fall pray. The big boys should be able to handle themselves.

MarcSmith
08-15-2005, 12:04 PM
Good call, I 'm all about removing the middle man where possible and feasable. Property management companies are a wayof life now. I love being the middle where possible (easy money) and thats what was basically happening...money was easy for the taking, so they did...and like you said. sht on the small/new guys the one who needs th emoney to make the payroll sicne they don't have a huge bankroll.....Most of my commercial properties I took care of in orlando, self managed (ie the store manager or the HOA managed me directly) I never did enjoy the one Hoa who had the BTCH for a prop manager until I became friends with the HOA president then we just did the end-around the BTCH....She hated and she tried to throw me under the buss somany times it was funny. (One of her freinds wanted the contract so she was trying to force me out)...at all costs.

Ric
08-15-2005, 12:29 PM
Good call, I 'm all about removing the middle man where possible and feasable. Property management companies are a wayof life now. I love being the middle where possible (easy money) and thats what was basically happening...money was easy for the taking, so they did...and like you said. sht on the small/new guys the one who needs th emoney to make the payroll sicne they don't have a huge bankroll.....Most of my commercial properties I took care of in orlando, self managed (ie the store manager or the HOA managed me directly) I never did enjoy the one Hoa who had the BTCH for a prop manager until I became friends with the HOA president then we just did the end-around the BTCH....She hated and she tried to throw me under the buss somany times it was funny. (One of her freinds wanted the contract so she was trying to force me out)...at all costs.

Marc

Many people including myself don't kind the politics of Big business or bureaucratic government. That is why we choose to be in business for ourselves. Why get involved with all that again???? You are putting your self in a lose lose situation. As a multiply account service provider, no one account can make or break you.

MarcSmith
08-15-2005, 02:46 PM
I had about 100 properties with about 20% commercial and 80% residential single family homes by way of number and proably 40% commercial by $$$..... so I did not put all the eggs in one basket. I knew where the gravy train was and it was behind each single family home I could find....

IMO I have the best of both worlds now. I am still in landscaping, I am a salaried employee of a wonderful university and I get to run a multi million dollar landscape operation with no out of pocket expense(except commuting) and I have real good route density..:) Yes I have headache that you guys dont have, Union, 6000 students, old timer managers who do nothing, and yes some red tape to cut through.... But LIke my old Biz in orlando, I still feel like I am king of the castle. I'm still repsonsible for my budgets, personel, traning, discipline, ect....If I loose my job, its not becasue of being underbid, it'll be as a result of poor performance, and I don't see that happening...

Heck I enjoy landscpaing so much I cut my neighbors yard for the price of a beer on occassion.....But i don't think Id ever put myself into being a solo operation again at least not until after I retire and it can be a hobby...