PDA

View Full Version : Need new deck drive belt

LCME
08-15-2005, 11:34 AM
my local dealer wants $50 for a deck drive belt. sound a little high. where is a good place on line to purchase a deck drive belt for my exmark tthp 48? thanks lcme

Itsgottobegreen
08-15-2005, 01:33 PM
Thats cheap for a exmark belt. Don't bother with aftermarket belts. They just don't last as long.

Pro-Scapes
08-15-2005, 01:48 PM
Toro 48 z belt just ran me 37.50 cheap around. I did have good luck with the napa utility belts on my older lawn tractor but wasn't near the speed of a commercial mower. Make sure u carry a spare because downtime will cost u more than the belt. Also make sure you know how and have the tools to make these simple repairs in the field.

Tharrell
08-15-2005, 04:25 PM
Man, I can add a "don't" to this. I replaced the pillow block bearing on my wb and didn't run the wheel belt OVER the bolt that sticks out to take up the slack. I mowed about 6 hours with it running under the bolt and it rubbed all the traction nubs off. That belt was $45 from one place and $32 from my reguler dealer. I guess I was in a hurry to get going and it cost me downtime AND $32.

LCME
08-19-2005, 01:11 PM
Thats cheap for a exmark belt. Don't bother with aftermarket belts. They just don't last as long.
sounds like good advise to me. was not sure if $50 was too much or not. thanks for the input.

mcwlandscaping
08-19-2005, 01:20 PM
My eXmark belts are more expensive than $50 too.

topsites
08-19-2005, 01:20 PM
Man, I can add a "don't" to this. I replaced the pillow block bearing on my wb and didn't run the wheel belt OVER the bolt that sticks out to take up the slack. I mowed about 6 hours with it running under the bolt and it rubbed all the traction nubs off. That belt was $45 from one place and $32 from my reguler dealer. I guess I was in a hurry to get going and it cost me downtime AND $32.

My god man, are you talking about the bolt right in front of the motor, underneath the mainframe? I can't run the mower with the belt on the wrong side for less than a minute, there's rubber pieces and smoke everywhere and you ran it for 6 HOURS LOL... But don't feel bad, this is how I smoked two of my new belts too, and likely our machines are different, still it is funny you'd mention this as it has aggravated me before, too.

Nowadays I learned a few things:
- IF the manual belt-engage lever feels a bit stiff, look out for the belt having gotten on the wrong side of that bolt.
- WHEN the belt slips off the pulleys (such as when disengaged) always look under the mainframe to ensure the belt is on the correct side of that bolt.

But yes, I get most my belts from Napa but you need to make SURE you tell them it is an Agricultural belt OR they will likely sell you an automotive belt which is not as strong and only lasts about a month. That and you need to find a productive, ingenious employee as the lazy or stupid ones don't know how to truly cross-x a belt... I went there yesterday and the guy just looked in the computer and a book and was like uh, no... I asked him if we could measure the belt but he was just stupid, hate to say it.

TURFLORD
08-19-2005, 02:42 PM
my local dealer wants $50 for a deck drive belt. sound a little high. where is a good place on line to purchase a deck drive belt for my exmark tthp 48? thanks lcme
There are many aftermarket catalog part houses out there. Power equipment warehouse www.power41.com landscapers supply.com www.greenlinedist.com commercial landscape supply www.clscatalog.com and landsaperpro.com to list a few. Check their location relative to yours, the S and H might ruin the deal.