PDA

View Full Version : Ordering Parts.....OEM.

HighGrass
08-15-2005, 04:16 PM
I was in the dealer the other day to BUY a couple of items for my LazerHP. 1-insulator boot for the 12V solenoid, and a seat limit bar. Anyway, they were'nt in stock so I aske dif I could just payfor them now and I'll pick them up when they come in. He said, "Well, I don't know how much shipping is." To which I replied, "Huh?" Looks like they are chrging me shipping for OEM parts. Is this normal? (Yes, it is an offical Exmark dealer)

John Gamba
08-15-2005, 04:33 PM
They have to get there some how. Its figured in .
John

n1wlc
08-15-2005, 04:53 PM
How about ordering a part and getting wrong one. Then calling and being told I would have to pay shipping back and the shipping again for the correct part. This happened to me with J-Thomas distributors.

Go figure...

HighGrass
08-15-2005, 04:55 PM
They have to get there some how. Its figured in .
John
I know the tooth fairy doesn't bring them. If it's figured in, then why is it if it was in stock, I wouldn't pay for shipping? So because it's out of stock, I become the new customer whipping boy?

HighGrass
08-15-2005, 04:57 PM
How about ordering a part and getting wrong one. Then calling and being told I would have to pay shipping back and the shipping again for the correct part. This happened to me with J-Thomas distributors.

Go figure...

Oh that's even better. That would have frosted my tulip bulbs. Hey .n1wlc...looks like you're only 45 minutes from here!

John Gamba
08-15-2005, 04:59 PM
I know the tooth fairy doesn't bring them. If it's figured in, then why is it if it was in stock, I wouldn't pay for shipping? So because it's out of stock, I become the new customer whipping boy?

When its in stock, it came with a larger order, they divide the hole thing.

John

HighGrass
08-15-2005, 05:05 PM
When its in stock, it came with a larger order, they divide the hole thing.

John

Okay, that makes sense. Maybe I should have said, "Hey, since these are parts that I don't need right away, order them when you have a boat load to order or 5 weeks whichever comes first."

???

Edgewater
08-15-2005, 05:08 PM
A good dealer will never charge you shipping. My dealer sells Echo, Shindaiwa, Husky, Toro, Walker and Dixie Chopper. They have orders for each one of these companies several times per week. If I order a part on a monday for my walker, the will place the order tuesday morning for my part and any others they need. If the order $1000 in parts, good for them that day, If it is just my $5.00 part, then it's not such a good day. Point remains, it's a cost of doing business(for them).

Do you charge more per lawn because they are the only one on the street? Same way, do you say OK since three more people on your street signed up this year, your price will drop $10.00/month.

Volume works both ways and it's not the customers advantage/disadvantage.

John Gamba
08-15-2005, 05:12 PM
A good dealer will never charge you shipping. My dealer sells Echo, Shindaiwa, Husky, Toro, Walker and Dixie Chopper. They have orders for each one of these companies several times per week. If I order a part on a monday for my walker, the will place the order tuesday morning for my part and any others they need. If the order $1000 in parts, good for them that day, If it is just my $5.00 part, then it's not such a good day. Point remains, it's a cost of doing business(for them).

Do you charge more per lawn because they are the only one on the street? Same way, do you say OK since three more people on your street signed up this year, your price will drop $10.00/month.

Volume works both ways and it's not the customers advantage/disadvantage.

And when you miss that order deadline??

Roger
08-15-2005, 06:51 PM
This matter was discussed in another thread. I asked the same question (see my post in the thread below). For small dealers, the incentive to keep much inventory is low. Maybe I'm wrong -- dealers, help us out on this one.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=113444&highlight=shipping

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger
08-15-2005, 07:12 PM
I had a Hobby Shop surprise me with a shipping charge that cost more than the model helicopter part I requested. I won't be ordering any more parts through him. If I'm going to pay shipping, I'll just mail order it.

Most dealers will just add the part you need to their weekly order (as has been mentioned previously). Check with other dealers within a reasonable distance if he can't work with you better than that.

DLCS
08-15-2005, 07:49 PM
My John Deere dealer has never charged me shipping. If I order by closing time, I get the parts next morning by 10:00am. Never a shipping charge.

True Cut Lawn Maintenance
08-15-2005, 08:06 PM
Ive incurred Shipping charges with deere before, doesnt bother me that much and the only times its happpened is when i have broken somthing on Friday afternoon and need it saturday morning you will have you part by 10:00 AM even if its the only part they are ordering which is why in the future ill be owning deere equipment

grassmanvt
08-15-2005, 08:37 PM
Do you charge more per lawn because they are the only one on the street?

Yup, if I've got to go too far out of my way it will cost more.

HighGrass
08-15-2005, 09:05 PM
This matter was discussed in another thread. I asked the same question (see my post in the thread below). For small dealers, the incentive to keep much inventory is low. Maybe I'm wrong -- dealers, help us out on this one.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=113444&highlight=shipping

Interesting thread for sure. As you might have read in another thread of mine, my Exmark dealer was on vacation when I needed some service. When he re-opened, I stopped by to chat with him about my delimma and my opinon regarding his closing for two weeks in the summer. It was all very civil. I learned some things, and I hope he did too.

But when i was done and went upstairs to order some parts, low and behold, yet another reason to be less than a happy camper. Now granted, I know there a lot of guys out there that might say i'm making more out of this than I should, but trust me when i tell ya, if you were there in person, you'd feel more like I do than not.

LawnMowerBoy48
08-16-2005, 10:29 PM
I ordered new hand controls for either side of my wright stander from j-thomas. They did not ship with the belts and other parts I ordered, luckily I guess I could say. The part number in their master catalog does not correspond with their computer or whatever method they use. The right hand control came up on the invoice as right pump hoop control. While I was on the phone with them they found some other mix ups with the part number in the catalog and the numbers they had.

Envy Lawn Service
08-16-2005, 11:33 PM
Seems stupid on the dealer's part to me, or on the part of the supply chain...
He should have a listing of what his parts cost plus shipping...
This way he would have just quoted you a flat price for the part...

OEM parts are priced so high you would have never known you were being charged for shipping.
So, honestly in the end you wouldn't be tee-d off about it.

Trust me though... I got a better story than yours about something that once happened to me.