PDA

View Full Version : Setting Up aeration jobs....need input.

HighGrass
08-15-2005, 06:03 PM
I have started calling all of my customers to see if they would like to have thier lawns aerated this fall with possible overseeding. Looks like about a third will agree to it. Here are some thoughts of mine, see if you agree.

- Charge about 80-120 per lawn 12-20,000 sq/ft
- Accomplish about 8 lawns per day
- Add for overseeding
- Add for fert/lime
- Leave the plugs where they lay ( I read this here on this site)
- Machine rental is 65.00/day + Gas.
- Should take between 45-120 min per lawn
- 9-12 holes per square yard

Mower For Less
08-16-2005, 08:42 PM
9-12 holes per square yard

I think you mean sq. ft. At least I hope you do.

Kevin

The mayor
08-16-2005, 09:04 PM
Just keep in mind most aerators you will have to aerate twice in a cross pattern. If you have not done this, it is more work than what you would think.

sildoc
08-16-2005, 10:03 PM
Just keep in mind most aerators you will have to aerate twice in a cross pattern. If you have not done this, it is more work than what you would think.
Depends on the aerator. The spacing for the bluebird type aerators allow for right at 6-7 holes per sqft. The cam operated aerators such as the plugr produce 10-13 holes per sqft. I belive purdue university(don't quote me) had a study stating that 9-15 holes is optimal. any less you are wasting customers money, any more you are wasting your time.

J Hisch
08-16-2005, 10:10 PM
Good source of revenue, however it is hard work, you will find out after about 3 lawns. We push areation big time becasue of it profit margins, however I dont have to do it any more, thank God.

Gators_Aerator
08-18-2005, 06:15 PM
Eight lawns that size will be a long days work if you work by yourself.

Always leave the plugs. That is one of the benefits.

Keep a good pattern and you should be ok with plugs per Sq/Ft.

Rent the biggest machine you can.

turfcobob
08-22-2005, 12:12 PM
Heard some good stuff here and you have good ideas. Here are some hints.

Check your gates. Do not get an aerator that will not go thru gates and other obstacles..Steps etc.. Besure to get a waiver from the customers on invisible dog fences and irrigation. Or have them mark the irrigation and dog fences. Sometimes they tend to be too close to the top and you aerate them as welll.

Aeration is hard work. Pace yourself and route your lawns then you will get the 8 lawns per day. There are easier machines out there now than you will find in a rental shop. Be aware that rental machines are usually beat to crap. Check the machine before you leave the rental dealer. Also you should be able to get a special rate if you pick it up early and drop it off in time for him to rent it to homeowners. Try several machines to get a feel for what you want to buy later. Be aware that there has been more advancement in aerator design in the past 5 years than in the 30 years before. There are machines out there now that you drive like a mower so they do not kill you to operate them.

But renting first is a good idea, just do not let an older rental unit chase you away from aeration as a profit center. The money is good.

Another tip...You can get books online at Turfco.com or call them at 800-679-8201 to give to your customers. The books are called "Why aerate my lawn" and exlplains it all to the homeowners. I use them and they work. One last tip. When you do a lawn take some door hanger bags put a core in it with one of the books and hang it on the neighbors doors. Put a note in offering aeration services and your phone number. This really works believe me. and finally...

Make up an after care letter telling them what to do when you leave. This is also a good time to explain that the cores on top are good for the lawn and they take a few weeks to go away.

Turfcobob

HighGrass
08-22-2005, 12:30 PM
All great stuff guys. I've got about half of my customers signed up and have been looking at the rental shop and choosing the right machine (hopefully) I am actually renting it and doing my lawn and my mom's lawn first. Since my mom's footing the bill to basically have her lawn done, I't will be a very low budget excercse. More to follow (hopefully with some pics)

Oh yea, so far the average quote I've given is around 100bucks.

Runner
08-22-2005, 08:49 PM
You're charging your MOM!!!??? SHAME on you! It should be one of your CUSTOMERS footing the bill, and you should be doing your mom's because she is your MOM!~
Other than that, Turfcobob's post is an excellent one Many of the points that I was going to bring up. Another thing to consider is definitely schedule these to do on the weekend. 2 reasons....
1. Many times you can get the weekends rental for a one day price.
2.Most important...BIG time upsell. When you do it on Saturdays, you will be amazed at how many more you will sell. This is when many people are home. Mr. Johnson looks out from his garage and sees Mr. Jones getting it done, and rest assured, Mr. Johnson will want it done.