PDA

View Full Version : Gas prices and lowballers

John Gamba
08-15-2005, 06:14 PM
Do you think it will sink alot of them?? Or do you think they can go lower??
John

rodfather
08-15-2005, 06:16 PM
Like a drought JG...gonna thin out the herd IMO.

topsites
08-15-2005, 06:20 PM
Yes, which means an even HIGHER demand in a year where for me, demand is already sky high, and I learned from opec what this means is Higher prices, more money, more money, and more money.

payup + payup + payup + payup = :)

John Gamba
08-15-2005, 06:35 PM
Like a drought JG...gonna thin out the herd IMO.

LOLOL Howdy Mr Rodfather :waving:

John Gamba
08-15-2005, 06:36 PM
Yes, which means an even HIGHER demand in a year where for me, demand is already sky high, and I learned from opec what this means is Higher prices, more money, more money, and more money.

payup + payup + payup + payup = :)

YAHHOOOOOO :cool2:

Metro Lawn
08-15-2005, 07:39 PM
It isn't going to hurt them a bit. They can use a little of the extra cash they have from not paying taxes to offset the gas prices. They could prob. endure more than we could..lol sad to say..

dvmcmrhp52
08-15-2005, 07:47 PM
Well if it stays dry too much longer it could get rid of some of them coupled with the high cost of fuel........we'll see, less competition is always o.k. with me and the bank...... :cool2:

Metro Lawn
08-15-2005, 07:52 PM
I hate to ask, but what is the issue "if it stays dry like this anymore" and the like have to do with anything? Dry is good. Cutting is easy. No overtime. Less abuse to the equipment. I don't see what eveybody is talking about.

dvmcmrhp52
08-15-2005, 07:54 PM
I hate to ask, but what is the issue "if it stays dry like this anymore" and the like have to do with anything? Dry is good. Cutting is easy. No overtime. Less abuse to the equipment. I don't see what eveybody is talking about.

No money being made when the the 21" "lawnboys" aren't cutting...............

Metro Lawn
08-15-2005, 07:58 PM
No money being made when the the 21" "lawnboys" aren't cutting...............

I still don't get it. Don't even tell me that you don't cut or let a customer tell you not to cut if the lawn is dry and not growing. That is why we use contracts. This is our job. I tell the customers that myself and my guys depend on this job to make a living. I ask them if they would work for a company that told them they could work this week but not the next? They say no, and I ask them then why do you expect us to if you wouldn't?

dvmcmrhp52
08-15-2005, 08:01 PM
I still don't get it. Don't even tell me that you don't cut or let a customer tell you not to cut if the lawn is dry and not growing. That is why we use contracts. This is our job. I tell the customers that myself and my guys depend on this job to make a living. I ask them if they would work for a company that told them they could work this week but not the next? They say no, and I ask them then why do you expect us to if you wouldn't?

So because you have a contract you will cut a DRY lawn and completely kill it just so you can say you cut it?
Hmm.

Metro Lawn
08-15-2005, 08:07 PM
So because you have a contract you will cut a DRY lawn and completely kill it just so you can say you cut it?
Hmm.

Yes, in a New York minute. It is my business and how we make money. We take the good with the bad. In the spring when the grass is growing 4 inches a week and we have to spend all the extra time to make it look good. It all evens out. Most of our customers water and they are still growing. I may skip a lawn here and there, but it is my decision, not the customers. A decent customer won't argue this with you, but you have to know how to talk to them and make them see the big picture. If not, the whole world revolves around them and you don't have a snowballs chance in he!! of making it.

John Gamba
08-15-2005, 08:27 PM

I think he is trying to say DROUGHT No grass,dead lawn, no cutting.

John

dvmcmrhp52
08-15-2005, 08:27 PM
Yes, in a New York minute. It is my business and how we make money. We take the good with the bad. In the spring when the grass is growing 4 inches a week and we have to spend all the extra time to make it look good. It all evens out. Most of our customers water and they are still growing. I may skip a lawn here and there, but it is my decision, not the customers. A decent customer won't argue this with you, but you have to know how to talk to them and make them see the big picture. If not, the whole world revolves around them and you don't have a snowballs chance in he!! of making it.

If you really have contracts, there is no reason to be cutting a lawn that doesn't need it, you would be getting paid regardless.
And I didn't say it would be the customer's decision.
We don't cut lawns that are brown, ours need to be green................
Just my opinion of course...........

dvmcmrhp52
08-15-2005, 08:28 PM
I think he is trying to say DROUGHT No grass,dead lawn, no cutting.

John

Yes, thanks John.

Metro Lawn
08-15-2005, 08:52 PM
If you really have contracts, there is no reason to be cutting a lawn that doesn't need it, you would be getting paid regardless.
And I didn't say it would be the customer's decision.
We don't cut lawns that are brown, ours need to be green................
Just my opinion of course...........

The contract states that we maintain the property on a weekly basis from April to November. Just because the grass isn't growing, doesn't mean weeds aren't. If a customer does not take care of watering ect., weeds take root and grow 4 to 8 inches a week. The local laws prohibite any lawn area from getting over 6 inches high (including weeds). This is why we still cut them. If we don't, then code enforcement comes by and hits them with a fine and a bill for cutting the weeds down.

John Gamba
08-15-2005, 09:05 PM
The contract states that we maintain the property on a weekly basis from April to November. Just because the grass isn't growing, doesn't mean weeds aren't. If a customer does not take care of watering ect., weeds take root and grow 4 to 8 inches a week. The local laws prohibite any lawn area from getting over 6 inches high (including weeds). This is why we still cut them. If we don't, then code enforcement comes by and hits them with a fine and a bill for cutting the weeds down.

Thats cool :cool2:

rodfather
08-15-2005, 09:46 PM

So you will put a 800 or so pound WB or a 1500 or so pound Z turn on a lawn that you can hear go "crunch" when you make your first pass. Sorry, I stand corrected. When you walk across it even?

Unbelievable...

qps
08-15-2005, 10:33 PM
So you will put a 800 or so pound WB or a 1500 or so pound Z turn on a lawn that you can hear go "crunch" when you make your first pass. Sorry, I stand corrected. When you walk across it even?

Unbelievable...

Yeah...no wonder the "weeds" need cut...I would hate to see his lawns..

cgland
08-15-2005, 10:40 PM
He may need to cut lawns nonstop! I fear he is one of the herd that is being thined out!

Chris

rodfather
08-15-2005, 10:42 PM
He may need to cut lawns nonstop! I fear he is one of the herd that is being thined out!

Chris

You got it Chris...

Flex-Deck
08-15-2005, 10:46 PM
I am hearing a lot of comments about contracts and dry grass, and here is my deal:----

We have a 100 yr. drough in our area, and what I do on the contract lawns is just trim the weeds that like to grow over the curbs, and along sidewalks on a weekly basis - I do not drive a mower on dry "crunchy grass".

On the pay per mow accounts, I call the client and ask them if they want their propery mowed. If not - OK, If it is just a touch up = full price.

dvmcmrhp52
08-15-2005, 10:47 PM
Just for the record.............
We don't use contracts. Don't need them. :cool:

Metro Lawn
08-15-2005, 10:54 PM
I don't know where everyone gets off jumping me for running my business the way I do. We work everyday, we make money, our guys make money, the bills are paid, and the customers keep coming back (for 20 years now). We don't sit back and whine about not making money, hoping it would rain, ect. ect. Those people with the browned out lawns have chose this, not us. We have a thing here called running water. When put on a lawn it stays green. If they choose to let the lawn die by not watering, I should just say "aw heck - we will just skip cutting it". Heck no! I will cut it, blow dust all over the place and get paid to do it. The only companies around here that won't cut it, are the mom & pop or one man show lcos that are afraid they may lose the customer. We aren't here to make friends, we are here to make money. When you go on vacation for a couple of weeks and come home to your cable bill... call the cable company and tell them you only want to pay for half the month because you didn't use the cable the other half and see what they tell you. If these customers don't water the lawns, then they really don't care what they look like or that we a running over dead grass. We send out a letter evey spring that details our service policies and it explains in detail about droughts and the like. They know we will still come, so they have the choice to either water or not. Sorry if you guys don't agree with our business plan, but that's the way we do things.

deereman
08-15-2005, 10:56 PM
Back to the original question of lowballers getting out of the business because of high gas prices. I think that there will be another group to replace those who choose to quit this year. I see them come and go all the time . I love it when somebody sees me and they come over to talk to me like weve known each other all our lives, while we are mowing. Trying to get info out of me about the lawn care business.I turn them right around and give them nothing as for info that they could use to come back to haunt me.

Metro Lawn
08-15-2005, 10:59 PM

Chris

Sorry to bust your bubble and all, but we are great shape and growing all the time.

rodfather
08-15-2005, 10:59 PM
I don't know where everyone gets off jumping me for running my business the way I do. We work everyday, we make money, our guys make money, the bills are paid, and the customers keep coming back (for 20 years now). We don't sit back and whine about not making money, hoping it would rain, ect. ect. Those people with the browned out lawns have chose this, not us. We have a thing here called running water. When put on a lawn it stays green. If they choose to let the lawn die by not watering, I should just say "aw heck - we will just skip cutting it". Heck no! I will cut it, blow dust all over the place and get paid to do it. The only companies around here that won't cut it, are the mom & pop or one man show lcos that are afraid they may lose the customer. We aren't here to make friends, we are here to make money. When you go on vacation for a couple of weeks and come home to your cable bill... call the cable company and tell them you only want to pay for half the month because you didn't use the cable the other half and see what they tell you. If these customers don't water the lawns, then they really don't care what they look like or that we a running over dead grass. We send out a letter evey spring that details our service policies and it explains in detail about droughts and the like. They know we will still come, so they have the choice to either water or not. Sorry if you guys don't agree with our business plan, but that's the way we do things.

The very last thing we are going to do is "blow dust al over the place" on the 400+ acres we mow each week...period

wbw
08-15-2005, 11:08 PM
speed up the process but only a little. I don't think it is the cost of gas that puts them out of business. It is the cost of the unforseens that usually gets them. They don't allow for things like repairs, maintenance and replacement, i.e. future expenses. They only think about the here and now. Most of them are smart enough to raise their prices by a dollar to account for higher gas prices, but still not smart enough to allow for future expenses. This is of course all theory.

Do you think it will sink alot of them?? Or do you think they can go lower??
John

Metro Lawn
08-15-2005, 11:08 PM
If all of your 400+ acres are dead and brown, sounds like your working in a low end area. Out of 300+ customers, only about 5-10% of ours don't water. Half of that number are vacant homes that we are cutting for the property manager. So before you get all proud on yourself, realize that I am only talking about less than 5% of our total account base.

BTW We cut just over 300 acres

(just on Monday routes)

Now I see why none of the huge lcos aren't on this site. (75+ crew companies)

rodfather
08-15-2005, 11:16 PM
[QUOTE=Metro Lawn]If all of your 400+ acres are dead and brown, sounds like your working in a low end area. QUOTE]

Where did I say that? Low end? You wish to have the low end we have.

dvmcmrhp52
08-15-2005, 11:20 PM
If all of your 400+ acres are dead and brown, sounds like your working in a low end area. Out of 300+ customers, only about 5-10% of ours don't water. Half of that number are vacant homes that we are cutting for the property manager. So before you get all proud on yourself, realize that I am only talking about less than 5% of our total account base.

BTW We cut just over 300 acres

(just on Monday routes)

You sir are a legend in your own mind................
If you truly were soooo succesful you WOULDN'T be cutting lawns the way you say you do.

300 customers and you're cutting 300 acres just on a monday, eh?
Uhuh.
Have a nice evening.

dvmcmrhp52
08-15-2005, 11:21 PM
Hey Rod, you should pick yourself up out of the gutter and find some REAL customers.............HeHeHe :waving:

rodfather
08-15-2005, 11:22 PM
If you truly were soooo succesful you WOULDN'T be cutting lawns the way you say you do.

Uhuh.
Have a nice evening.

Thank you Dave...you saved me the effort.

dvmcmrhp52
08-15-2005, 11:23 PM
Thank you Dave...you saved me the effort.

Yup. :waving:

QualityLawnCare4u
08-15-2005, 11:30 PM
John, Im curious also. Im wondering about the 35 dollar yards I lost to the 15 dollar crowd how they are doing it? Im yet to have any of the former clients to call me back yet.

Metro Lawn
08-15-2005, 11:54 PM

ie: local example Torre & Bruglio Landscape Contractors roughly 200+ trucks, more than 100 lawn crews (cut every job every week) financials show them grossing $70+ million last year

Uhuh.
Have a nice evening.

yes We cut commercial only on Monday which includes 4 college campus locations which alone are over 200 acres combined plus the other 33 commercials that day. These are done with 5 crews. You doughting Thomas' need to ask someone from my area about us before you run of at the mouth. Are you guys so afraid of a different opinion? This was never meant to be a pushing match, I was just trying to help a few guys see the error of their ways. Geez, it's just an opinion.. everyone has one. Now I have the whole board jumping me for nothing. You run your business, we will run ours.

dvmcmrhp52
08-16-2005, 12:12 AM
The problem with your "opinion" is that it isn't based on professional lawncare.
And that is just my opinion as well.

MrFangs
08-16-2005, 12:14 AM
yes We cut commercial only on Monday which includes 4 college campus locations which alone are over 200 acres combined plus the other 33 commercials that day. These are done with 5 crews. You doughting Thomas' need to ask someone from my area about us before you run of at the mouth. Are you guys so afraid of a different opinion? This was never meant to be a pushing match, I was just trying to help a few guys see the error of their ways. Geez, it's just an opinion.. everyone has one. Now I have the whole board jumping me for nothing. You run your business, we will run ours.

How much do you gross a year?

John Gamba
08-16-2005, 07:26 AM
John, Im curious also. Im wondering about the 35 dollar yards I lost to the 15 dollar crowd how they are doing it? Im yet to have any of the former clients to call me back yet.

They wont there to embarrassed. They would have the devil do it before you again.

John

John Gamba
08-16-2005, 07:28 AM

When i was big there was no time for this foolishness. I went from 6am to 10pm 6 days a week.

John

QualityLawnCare4u
08-16-2005, 08:20 AM
They wont there to embarrassed. They would have the devil do it before you again.

John

Thanks for that comparison JG :D :D BTW when did you downsize to a push broom and push mower, see your area is catching up with mine!

John Gamba
08-16-2005, 03:53 PM
Thanks for that comparison JG :D :D BTW when did you downsize to a push broom and push mower, see your area is catching up with mine!

No offense :waving: I think most people would pay someone else more not to lose face with you. I have seen this.

You should drive by a times and see the different trucks and people doing it.

John

Dont it look impressive, push mower ,broom. ;)

Envy Lawn Service
08-16-2005, 07:29 PM
I think the discussion got off in left field out of hand.
So here is the point I would make.

A drought will hurt the scrubs because they don't have contracts and don't get paid when the lawn burns up and does not need cutting.

Go through several years of drought and then have have that followed by 3 straight opposite wet seasons. What you see will clear your thoughts rather quickly.

On the other hand, higher fuel prices hurts everyone, except the oil companies and the really rich.

dvmcmrhp52
08-16-2005, 07:39 PM
Dont it look impressive, push mower ,broom. ;)

What kind of broom do you have? We've been using the wally world boars bristle type with good success!
If you've found something better please let us know!
:waving:

John Gamba
08-16-2005, 07:57 PM
What kind of broom do you have? We've been using the wally world boars bristle type with good success!
If you've found something better please let us know!
:waving:

Gutter Broom. I'll post a pic tomorrow.

John LOL

dvmcmrhp52
08-16-2005, 07:58 PM
Gutter Broom. I'll post a pic tomorrow.

John LOL

Cool!!!!!
:p