PDA

View Full Version : crabgrass took over in NJ

snuddenstang
08-15-2005, 06:17 PM
I had my 15,000 sq foot back yard hydroseeded in April.
The shady areas look pretty good but the full sun area is heavy crabgrass. It doesn't look like there is any grass at all, just solid crabgrass.
I did water like crazy but still only got crabgrass.
I just had sprinklers installed.
Probably should have done it before the hydroseeding.
What do I do now?
How can I overseed if it is all thick crabgrass.
It is about 10,000 sq feeet.
Any ideas?

p32pac
08-15-2005, 08:35 PM
I renovated about 40,000 sq ft with a rotadairon this year and the same thing happened to me. The grass looked great for a while, then it seemed like it turned to crabgrass over night. I was going to just slit seed it in the fall, and treat for pre emergent in the spring. I thought about using a post emergent like Drive75, however I am afraid of losing all of my topsoil if there are heavy rains. I also live in NJ, must be something in the water. If anybody has a better solution please let us know. Thanx in advance.

bobbygedd
08-15-2005, 10:36 PM
do not seed in spring

muddstopper
08-15-2005, 10:48 PM
do not seed in spring

Dont be ridiculous! You can seed year round as long as the proper steps are taken. Granted, seeding in the fall is a lot easier.

bobbygedd
08-15-2005, 10:50 PM
Dont be ridiculous! You can seed year round as long as the proper steps are taken. Granted, seeding in the fall is a lot easier.
the proper steps= wait till september

snuddenstang
08-15-2005, 10:58 PM
Will the crab grass die before I can seed this Fall?
It seems like I have to kill the crabgrass first, then start over fresh.
I wish I would have waited untill the fall to seed in the first place.

bobbygedd
08-15-2005, 11:08 PM
nope, the crabrass won't die. any further consultation will be at the rate of $35 per hr on phone, $75 per hr on site

snuddenstang
08-16-2005, 07:56 AM
75 per hr. I thought this site offered advise and help.
Thanks but no thanks.

Remsen1
08-16-2005, 12:31 PM
Bobby's got a point. This site is intended for professionals to share with each other. Sharing info with a consumer would be like working for free. Our knowledge should come with a price. I could give you a basic overview of what is needed for free otherwise you'll have to do your research yourself or hire somebody to come in and fix the problem.

Your contractor should take a soil test, and kill the crabgrass where it has completely taken over. Then he should prep and adjust soil balance to desired levels for grass type. Then slit-seed and apply an appropriate weed barrier. This should all be timed so the germination is complete, and root growth firmly established, before frequent overnight frosts become common. 4-5 weeks later a premergant should be applied and a postmergant in the spring. Your contractor should instruct you on proper water for the 4-5 week period between seeding and applying premergant.

Lost Pine
08-16-2005, 12:46 PM
I'm in New Jersey too. Many lawn Pros agree this is a BAD year for crabgrass. I have had great success with Drive 75 which is a POST emergent. It's expensive but worth it !!!

Hope I helped.......

OrganicBob
08-16-2005, 12:51 PM
Drive works well,
and Bobby is a ******!

snuddenstang
08-16-2005, 09:49 PM
How long does it take for the Drive to kill the grab grass?
Will I have to rake out the dead crabgrass?
How long after spraying the Drive can I slit seed?

muddstopper
08-16-2005, 11:31 PM
the proper steps= wait till september

Poor advise if you seed for a living, what are you supposed to do the rest of the year? Of course if you cant learn how to have success planting grass the rest of the year i guess you can always go into the mowing business. Almost anybody can learn to push a mower.

bobbygedd
08-16-2005, 11:35 PM
Poor advise if you seed for a living, what are you supposed to do the rest of the year? Of course if you cant learn how to have success planting grass the rest of the year i guess you can always go into the mowing business. Almost anybody can learn to push a mower.
wrong, wrong, wrong. every SINGLE AZZWIPE, who is anxious to make a buck, seeds in spring, and ALWAYS has to fight off weeds and crabgrass. i aint that desperate. and i aint dealing with the headaches. we seed in late aug, sept, oct, early november. if you need the cash sonny, you can have all my april and may seedings

muddstopper
08-17-2005, 07:53 PM
I seed year round and have success doing it. Fact is, not everyone is going to wait until Sept to have their lawn installed. And not everyone is going to pay the price to have a lawn sodded. Why should I as a business person limit myself to four months a year to make my income. You are correct that a lot of azzwipes do plant in the spring and summer months and have all sorts of problems, but its not because you cant plant grass in the spring or summer, you just need to learn how. By you saying only plant in the fall just means you dont want to, or cant, learn how. Which is it.

ps, if I come up there and take you april and may seedings you would probably loose your fall seeding as well.

grasswhacker
08-17-2005, 10:22 PM
do not seed in spring

Yup worst time of the year to put it down. Fall best, winter second best, then if one must spring (if you need the $$) lol

bobbygedd
08-17-2005, 10:25 PM
I seed year round and have success doing it. Fact is, not everyone is going to wait until Sept to have their lawn installed. And not everyone is going to pay the price to have a lawn sodded. Why should I as a business person limit myself to four months a year to make my income. You are correct that a lot of azzwipes do plant in the spring and summer months and have all sorts of problems, but its not because you cant plant grass in the spring or summer, you just need to learn how. By you saying only plant in the fall just means you dont want to, or cant, learn how. Which is it.

ps, if I come up there and take you april and may seedings i would probably get to swim in the bay, on the bottom, like the crabs.
yup, maybe.........

Runner
08-17-2005, 11:52 PM
As long as it is kept properly watered, it can be done all season long....from early spring, when the soil temps reach a consistent temp of 53 degrees to mid fall when the night time temps start falling too low. We've put in several lawns this year on new builds, and I have some beautiful lawns, now. Did I have some crabgrass come in? A little bit. Everyone did, even on existing mature lawns. This was the worse year I've ever seen for it. It was due to certain conditions in late spring that brought it on. Drive took care of the crabgrass, and now that temps have dropped a bit, we have sprayed some broadleafs with great success. These lawns look like they've been there for years.
Now, there IS benefits to seeding in the fall, but that does NOT limit the time to JUST the fall to seed. The idea of seeding in the fall aside from the obvious (cooler temps that are prime for seed germination, more general precipitation) is so the grass can harden off for the winter, then in the spring, can grow deeper roots because they already exist and are prime to reach, and the grass is able to use stored carbohydrates for it's advantage. Also, by late spring all weeds can then be sprayed - leaving room for grass to fill in. Now, for someone without irrigation,...yes...fall is about the ONLY time you willl have any level of success.

dproft
08-18-2005, 03:10 PM
I've got a similar situation here in NE Wisconsin. All the comments here are GREATLY appreciated and have proven to be very useful. I have just one question......once the crabgrass has been killed, how should one remove the dead plants? (prep for reseeding)? I completely understand your knowledge is worth a bundle. However, I'm stuck at this point and could really use some help. I've tried local companies, some just don't respond, others don't know there arse from a hole in the ground. :( ....people don't seem to know what a slit seeder is! Thank you for all your help!!!!

kootoomootoo
08-18-2005, 03:39 PM
What makes you think its crabgrass............A lot of guys call any weed thats not a broadleaf weed crabgrass......

muddstopper
08-19-2005, 08:09 PM
As long as it is kept properly watered, it can be done all season long....from early spring, when the soil temps reach a consistent temp of 53 degrees to mid fall when the night time temps start falling too low. We've put in several lawns this year on new builds, and I have some beautiful lawns, now. Did I have some crabgrass come in? A little bit. Everyone did, even on existing mature lawns. This was the worse year I've ever seen for it. It was due to certain conditions in late spring that brought it on. Drive took care of the crabgrass, and now that temps have dropped a bit, we have sprayed some broadleafs with great success. These lawns look like they've been there for years.
Now, there IS benefits to seeding in the fall, but that does NOT limit the time to JUST the fall to seed. The idea of seeding in the fall aside from the obvious (cooler temps that are prime for seed germination, more general precipitation) is so the grass can harden off for the winter, then in the spring, can grow deeper roots because they already exist and are prime to reach, and the grass is able to use stored carbohydrates for it's advantage. Also, by late spring all weeds can then be sprayed - leaving room for grass to fill in. Now, for someone without irrigation,...yes...fall is about the ONLY time you willl have any level of success.

Bingo!!!, Thats what I am talking about.But I have never seeded a lawn that had irrigation except for what mother nature dished out. Irrigation is almost unheard of in my area. There are other steps that can be taken to help with the irrigation factor. Low salt fertilizers, low nitrogen fertilizers, proper mulching, taller mowing heights, just to name a few. You will find that by doing these things you can also reduce seed rates which further reduces the need for water. Drive is also another tool that can help control the weeds and crabgrass, if you dont wait to long before you apply it.