PDA

View Full Version : Awful Day, Need Help!

mcwlandscaping
08-15-2005, 05:40 PM
:cry: Today really sucked! All of a sudden this new customer who was very happy last week has somehow transformed into a huge PITA and is just the opposite this week. First she thinks that a whole bunch of brush growing against the back of her prop. should be part of the weekly service (she wants to drop my service because of this) and expects that any of her needs should be taken care of before anyone elses. I tried to talk to her today but basically gave me the cold shoulder and said that she would talk to her husband (yeah right). What the worst part is is that i have to see her twice a day anyway because my mom babysits her kid! What should i do, should i try to make ammends by just hacking down the brush with the trimmer and keeping up with it or just let her go? Sorry this is so long and thanks for any advice!

Shuter
08-15-2005, 05:45 PM
Never work for friends or family.

MrFangs
08-15-2005, 06:16 PM

EXACTLY!

It's one customer. Not even a decent one. Ditch here, put up some flyers, and you're back in business! :cool:

QualityLawnCare4u
08-15-2005, 06:37 PM
Do not do the brush unless she wants to pay for it! If you do, this will become a regular for her to ask for free stuff all the time. Been there and done that. Im making some different financial arrangements this week and Ive got 2 similar to this I can hardly wait to dump them! Go ahead and make this one disappear before she becomes a problem. Check to see if she has ever lived in my area also :D sounds like one of mine.

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger
08-15-2005, 06:47 PM
If it's something that wasn't included in the original price, determine how much more it would cost to include it and let her know. I doubt it has to be done every week but determine on average how much more time it takes per week. If she doesn't like your pricing, she can have someone else do it. No problem. "Sorry for any misunderstanding"
No need to be hostile about it, especially if you will be seeing her on an ongoing basis. :)

ed2hess
08-15-2005, 06:57 PM
Might want to be careful, I assume you mother is charging for babysitting?

John Gamba
08-15-2005, 07:28 PM

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mcwlandscaping
08-15-2005, 07:30 PM
I agree with the friends and family thing. She went from a good customer to a real pita in one day flat! Ed, of course my mom does charge but doesn't get much at all. She complains a lot because i can make more than her in one day than she can make in a whole week, it really sucks that she doesn't charge very much. Well, this is a lawn forum not a babysitting forum. Thanks guys for your responses, and if she continues to think the way she has then she is gone (in a nice way though!). Thanks Again!

John Gamba
08-15-2005, 07:34 PM
I agree with the friends and family thing. She went from a good customer to a real pita in one day flat! Ed, of course my mom does charge but doesn't get much at all. She complains a lot because i can make more than her in one day than she can make in a whole week, it really sucks that she doesn't charge very much. Well, this is a lawn forum not a babysitting forum. Thanks guys for your responses, and if she continues to think the way she has then she is gone (in a nice way though!). Thanks Again!

Good Luck :waving:

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger
08-15-2005, 07:36 PM
Maybe we should tell your mom what to charge and how to handle her as well :D

mcwlandscaping
08-15-2005, 07:42 PM
My mom loves her as a customer for her but also realizes that she is being a b*** to me. As long as my mom is happy with what she makes, its fine with me!!

grassmanvt
08-15-2005, 08:55 PM
Welcome to dealing with the general public. If you consider this an awfull day, if you plan on expanding you"ll have plenty of them. You"ll get used to it, just don't put too much thought into it. Figure out how you want to deal with it, do it, and move on. Try to look at it and handle it the same as any other customer as this will set patterns for your future. After a while, they all have special circumstances and if you make exceptions all the time, you're customers will walk all over you, especially because of your age. On the other hand, you shouldn't be arrogant about it either. Anyhow, just a few things for you to think about. Good luck.

mcwlandscaping
08-15-2005, 09:13 PM
Thanks for all the replys. YOu have all given me good insight on how to fix the problem. Tomarrow will probably be proving day for it. Thanks Again!

splatz100
08-15-2005, 09:19 PM
It might be that time of the month....................

dvog
08-16-2005, 09:10 PM
If its not more than a couple of minutes to hack down, i would do it.But if its alot more, than its really not worth it .I love these clients who ad on services every week.Yes ,they are little things but after awhile they add up.I have enough work now that i can tell the people nicely that this or that is an extra service and the original quote was for the grass cutting,edgeing ect.

Envy Lawn Service
08-16-2005, 09:19 PM
If it was not part of the original deal or included in what she pointed out that she wanted done.... then you MUST charge her extra for it.... even if it's only $5. This way you get off on the right foot in your business relationship right from the beginning.

This activity instills the mindset that a tad of extra work equals a tad more money.
If you do ANYTHING extra totally for free then this will become the habit.
The mindset will be that mcwlandscaping will do this little extra thing for me for free if I ask.