PDA

View Full Version : What ZTR has the heaviest duty, most durable spindles?

rochenyguy
08-15-2005, 07:47 PM
I hear lots from dealers about how great their spindles are, thick diameter, better bearings, etc. What's the real truth out there?

Considering JD 757, Toro Z500 series, Exmark, Hustler Super Z, Ferris IS 3000, and Everride Warrior.

Which has got the heaviest duty/best spindles/bearings that can take an occasional run-in with gopher holes, and occasional rock, etc. with least likelihood of bending/damage?

What brand ztr's are the most prone to spindle/bearing damage?

Looking at the above with 60" decks by the way.

Thanks for helping out this newbie.

iluvscag
08-15-2005, 07:53 PM
Scag has got some pretty heavy ones. :)

ed2hess
08-15-2005, 08:02 PM
Let's put it this way, as long as you don't do stupid things the Scag spindles will be with you a long time.

sda1416
08-15-2005, 08:07 PM
The spindles on my Toro have been bullet proof so far, knock on wood. The turbo force deck is nice too, can plow through tall,wet grass, no problem.

aklandscape
08-15-2005, 08:23 PM
check out toro's web site. They have a video clip of them sticking a big chunk of metal into the blade. They claim to have the heaviest spindles out there. I have the z500 and use the way you are discribing you want to use it.No problems with spindles yet.

TURF DOCTOR
08-15-2005, 09:12 PM
Scag= some 1 top there warranty.

Jpocket
08-15-2005, 09:18 PM
All of them are good

lwcmattlifter
08-15-2005, 09:29 PM
Anybody seen the new Hercules spindle by Ferris? The housing is huge and the bearings look like they belong on a F-350 front axle. I got to see Ferris's factory this past weekend while visiting NY.

HighGrass
08-15-2005, 10:11 PM
i have a 2002 Exmark LazerHP (52) right now. There are no grease fittings on it at all. I do have 500+ hours on it and no problems.

However....I am taking delivery of a new Scag Wildcat in about a week and already I am really pleased with the design of their spindles. Grease fittings with a small release point so you can't over grease? Sounds good to me. And, I hear their warranty is pretty decent as well.

ToroLandscaper
08-15-2005, 11:24 PM
Toros have some pretty tuff spindles. and if i recall rite you get a 2 year warrenty also (maybe one not really sure)

rob1325
08-15-2005, 11:35 PM
Scag have best, IMO

Envy Lawn Service
08-16-2005, 01:28 AM
Out of the ones the original poster listed, I think Toro has the best.

But frankly, I'm not sure I'd be weighing my purchase decisions based on spindles.

Runner
08-16-2005, 04:24 AM
You're talking about a part that hardly wears out compared to the hours of the machine, and even when it does, it's a cheap fix compared to many others. This is like asking what mowers have the best caster bearings or belts. BELT expenditures will reach more than spindles. Things like clutches will, too. I think too much emphasis is put on this spindle issue, when the REAL emphasis should be put on the deck plate that HOLDS the spindles.

JTW
09-11-2005, 11:58 PM
We have snapped 4-5 spindles already this season on the Everride Warriors.

Envy Lawn Service
09-12-2005, 01:46 AM
We have snapped 4-5 spindles already this season on the Everride Warriors.

Welcome to Lawnsite... and sorry that news ended up being your first post.

4-5 begs the question of why though?

Bad luck?
Employee abuse?
Accidents?
Bad design?

uglytruk
09-12-2005, 02:22 AM
Toros have some pretty tuff spindles. and if i recall rite you get a 2 year warrenty also (maybe one not really sure) Just bought a CubCadet M50S TANK. It has a 2 year full machine, 3 year on spindles and deck(?).

easycareacres
09-12-2005, 05:41 AM
Scag do have great spindels and yes Runner spinndles get a work out down under with sand, rocks also mowing at 1,half''-2 inch all day.
We almost rotary hoe here to the 3-4 'hieght you guys cut.
We go through a minumim of 3 spindles each machine each year.
Scag bearings use roller bearings, not sure what all other brands use.
A must for greaseable spindles, cant belive some still dont have it.
$340.00 per spindle here so not cheap with the markup that is made by ones.
Warranty heee means jack **** here, always they diddle you out of what was in origanal warranty so dont expect anything from a dealer.
Have couple back up spindles and ya safe and back mowing making dough.
payup

MBDiagMan
09-12-2005, 10:36 AM
A few people hit it right here. That is, you should not be making a mower decision based ONLY on spindles. There are lots of good spindles and they are easy to repair/replace anyway. There are many more components that are more important considerations such as engines, drives and general deck engineering.

Good luck with your decision,
Doc

Macvols
09-12-2005, 05:29 PM
Exmark, Exmark, Exmark

JTW
09-12-2005, 05:34 PM
Welcome to Lawnsite... and sorry that news ended up being your first post.

4-5 begs the question of why though?

Bad luck? Yes
Employee abuse? Not so much...anymore
Accidents? Yes
Bad design? dunno

We mow a bout 2,000 city properties that are in some not so great neighborhoods. They are lots that used to be houses that were knocked down and/or abanded houses that were either forclosed or burned. So there is a chit load of rocks, bricks, concrete chunks, wood, logs, garbage, fence posts, car parts, and stuff you wouldn't even think would be there IS there. And unfortuanetly we do not see all of it to pick it up or avoid it. So i guess it is to be expected that they break sometimes but we have not broken a single one on the laser yet each of the 3 warriors have had at least one break.

And thanks for the welcome! :drinkup:

T-N-T
09-12-2005, 07:18 PM
We are running 1952 mini Z's hustler's they are tough don't know about the rest

Travis Followell
09-12-2005, 08:22 PM
Anybody seen the new Hercules spindle by Ferris? The housing is huge and the bearings look like they belong on a F-350 front axle. I got to see Ferris's factory this past weekend while visiting NY.
I'd say the Ferris Hercules spindles are one of the best spindles available. We have a IS 3000 thats got them.

EJK2352
09-12-2005, 11:42 PM
We are running 1952 mini Z's hustler's they are tough don't know about the rest

Hustler made a Z in 1952?? I thought they started building Z's in the early 1960's??

Envy Lawn Service
09-12-2005, 11:44 PM
JTW,

Enjoy your stay.... As far as the Warriors go, I looked at them, but I don't even recall anything about the spindles. Exmark does have some pretty decent spindles too. They fail more than some people would like, and there are some much tougher ones out there. But I still reguard them as a good spindle that is a lot better than many. The thing I like about them is that they are nice and smooth until they are gone. Anyways, eXmark has a new spindle on the way for '06.

nelbuts
09-13-2005, 12:02 AM
Ok so I know you will not believe this but will tell you anyway. I have a Scag 23HP Kaw. 52" cut that is 5 years old. Only bearings I have replaced have been the caster wheel bearings twice. Have almost 3,000 hours on this mower. I grease my deck bearings once per month and that is all.

However, today I bought a new mower. Scag 29HP Kaw. fuel injected 61inch deck. Have owned these mowers for 19 years and when I find something good I stick with it and Scags are good.

Supertiger
09-13-2005, 12:05 AM
You're talking about a part that hardly wears out compared to the hours of the machine, and even when it does, it's a cheap fix compared to many others. This is like asking what mowers have the best caster bearings or belts. BELT expenditures will reach more than spindles. Things like clutches will, too. I think too much emphasis is put on this spindle issue, when the REAL emphasis should be put on the deck plate that HOLDS the spindles.
Ive never bent or broken a spindle, however ive hit stuff that left my deck bent making my spindles go out of allinment. So to me the heavy build deck is the one i want. the mowers im refuring to is the exmark Lazer 60 inck Trivintage. Ive bent it twice in 7 years.

Envy Lawn Service
09-13-2005, 12:22 AM
Ive never bent or broken a spindle, however ive hit stuff that left my deck bent making my spindles go out of allinment. So to me the heavy build deck is the one i want. the mowers im refuring to is the exmark Lazer 60 inck Trivintage. Ive bent it twice in 7 years.

Yeah, some mowers today have breakaway spindles for that reason.
They are basically designed where an impact will destroy the spindle before hurting the deck.

Now, to be real honest about it, the eXmark deck appears to be a lot more beefy than it is in reality. The thicker 7 guage side skirts, those wear plates, the thick hanger plates, and those pretty full seam welds do a good job of distracting a person from the fact that the top, front and rear are just 10 guage. They stamp homeowner mower decks out of that these days...

Some MFG's now have decks built of all high yield strength 7 guage steel.
And some others like Lesco/Cub Commercial and Scag have Tri-Plate designs.

Tonyr
09-13-2005, 02:31 AM
From experience I can say the spindles on the 500 series Toro's are very strong, I worked mine tougher than most of you guys and never bent a spindle, more likely to wear bearings.

The easiest spindle assemble and cheapest to repair would have to be Hustler.

I can't comment on my new J.D deck's spindles yet, but they look beafy...

It is hard to bend spindles with today's housings, bearings are what usually wear first or die upon impact.

seb442
03-26-2006, 07:34 AM
Any thoughts or comments (good or bad) after your visit to the Ferris factory.

Dixie Rob
03-26-2006, 09:09 AM
I've broke numberous John Deere spindles. Then again my walk behind is older and they have most likely improved the design. Mostly operator error for not checking over and making sure yards are clean.

Oldtimer
03-26-2006, 10:52 PM
My shop has always made more money from decks with greasable spindles. Just because a deck has cast iron housings and tapered roller bearings doesn't mean it will last any longer than sealed ball bearing units.

There are 2 things that shorten the life of greasable spindles and they are maintenance and blade balancing. A badly out of balance blade can actually break the housing from the deck.

Oldtimer

LLandscaping
03-26-2006, 11:10 PM
We use Scag mowers and they have heavy duty spindles. Make sure you grease the spindles (if grease able) or the bearings will wear out.

dcondon
03-26-2006, 11:25 PM
We have over 1000 plus hrs on two of our Cub Tanks that have greasable spindles and no problems. Never have balanced a blade either!!! They are all good but comes down to what you like:)

rodneyskip
03-28-2006, 02:11 AM
Of course I am going to stand up for Deere. They have improved stronger spindles on their new 7 iron II deck.

Ramairfreak98ss
04-10-2006, 11:26 PM
I'd say the Ferris Hercules spindles are one of the best spindles available. We have a IS 3000 thats got them.

i cant compare to all the other brands, but ive seen the Hercules spindles in person and they "look" huge lol, i mean my 1000z doesnt have these and i think mine are big but after seeing the IS3000 theyre not that big lol.

jason_2005lawnman
04-10-2006, 11:36 PM
I hear lots from dealers about how great their spindles are, thick diameter, better bearings, etc. What's the real truth out there?

Considering JD 757, Toro Z500 series, Exmark, Hustler Super Z, Ferris IS 3000, and Everride Warrior.

Which has got the heaviest duty/best spindles/bearings that can take an occasional run-in with gopher holes, and occasional rock, etc. with least likelihood of bending/damage?

What brand ztr's are the most prone to spindle/bearing damage?

Looking at the above with 60" decks by the way.

Thanks for helping out this newbie.
well the m60 tank also has some very tough and very good spindles; check out www.cubcadetcommercial.com and you read up on them; i hit a metal gas pipe(it was just a cut off pipe used for property marking) sticking out of the ground the other day that was covered with grass; and it did warp a blade but no spindle damage at all; went and got the other blade in the truck put it on and kept going; cant beat that;