PDA

View Full Version : Got a call today

lotamow
08-15-2005, 08:02 PM
I got a call today from a city that I mow in, but do not live in or have my business located in. They informed me that I had been reported mowing in that city without a business license for that particular city, and that I would have to purchase a business license with that city even though I had a business license in the city that my business resides. Long story short, I talked to my lawyer, and he said that I would have to buy a business license with that city and that they could legally enforce it. My question is, has anyone else run into this, or is this a local thing to get more money from out of towner's?

hole in one lco
08-15-2005, 08:14 PM
Iv never been called on It but i do carry lic for
Rocky river
Cleveland
Lakewood
North Olmsted
Avon lake
Avon
Bay village
Fairview park
I dont know if its like this every ware but hear you need to have a permit to work in the suburbs.
total cast per year is 400.00

bushtrimmer
08-15-2005, 08:34 PM
We are supposed to pay local income taxes for the hours worked in certain villages, never been called on for business licenses but have for taxes.

jbell113
08-15-2005, 08:40 PM
WOW that stinks...Luckily here I just get a license for my county and I stay in my county

wbw
08-15-2005, 10:13 PM
I got a call today from a city that I mow in, but do not live in or have my business located in. They informed me that I had been reported mowing in that city without a business license for that particular city, and that I would have to purchase a business license with that city even though I had a business license in the city that my business resides. Long story short, I talked to my lawyer, and he said that I would have to buy a business license with that city and that they could legally enforce it. My question is, has anyone else run into this, or is this a local thing to get more money from out of towner's?

This is true in many areas. Ever wonder why those idiot's don't have signs on their trucks? No sign=No business license every time they cross another boundry.

Jamesgateslandscaping
08-15-2005, 10:38 PM
Im glad I live in New Hampshire...Live Free or Die!!!

mcwlandscaping
08-15-2005, 10:42 PM
Im glad I live in New Hampshire...Live Free or Die!!!
Yeah New Hampshire, even though i am not registered or lisenced! James, I love your truck (the 05')

i_plant_art
08-15-2005, 10:50 PM
yeah same way here... im supposed to have one for every town i work in LOL yeah right. why waste my time so my money can go to waste? i have license for the country my business resides in, and we dont even do that much business in this county, the one next to us we do almost all the business in, i dont have a license for. sure hate it for them, im reporting taxes here, its all good and legit as far as i am concerned.

MrFangs
08-15-2005, 11:06 PM
How did you get called out for it? Did somebody report you?

lotamow
08-16-2005, 09:42 AM
"How did you get called out for it? Did somebody report you?"

The city recorder who does the business licenses lives across the street from one of the houses that I mow. Because I have my name on my trailer, she ran right to work and looked it up to see if I had a business license in that town. It came up when I was in her office arguing that I shouldn't't need another license, that she was the one who caused this whole problem.

dose not matter now, I have got the license for their city. I just wondered if this was common anywhere else.

OrganicBob
08-16-2005, 10:04 AM
Had that problem, city, state, and county. It doesn't apply everywhere, except for tax purposes. If you live/work in a vicinity that is close to two or several city/town/state/county govt.s, you should check first with your local, they'll at least let you know who you need to contact. Mostly the only reason it is required is for insurance and tax purposes.

Jamesgateslandscaping
08-16-2005, 06:15 PM
MCW, Where have you seen me :waving: ? Where are you based? My AIM is weather53, IM me sometime.
Thanks
James

daveyo
08-16-2005, 08:01 PM
What a ball buster! the truth of the matter is you have to get the lic, how much depends on that particular township. Here in NJ every township is different, some have no lic requirements some are $100. However, the state took over and now its a $95 yearly fee, period. Pay it, charge accordingly to the customers you do business with in that township to make up the difference.

O'Donnell Landscaping

MrFangs
08-16-2005, 08:29 PM
"How did you get called out for it? Did somebody report you?"

The city recorder who does the business licenses lives across the street from one of the houses that I mow. Because I have my name on my trailer, she ran right to work and looked it up to see if I had a business license in that town. It came up when I was in her office arguing that I shouldn't't need another license, that she was the one who caused this whole problem.

dose not matter now, I have got the license for their city. I just wondered if this was common anywhere else.

She's looking for a problem. What an idiot!