PDA

View Full Version : Different Types of grasses

Kwabdog
03-10-2001, 09:56 PM
I am preparing my soil for planting grass. However, I am not familiar with the different kind of grasses. I am interested in a grass that has a deep green color, grows thick, and grows fast. Can anyone provide me with some insight regarding the grass type that would best meet my needs. Thanks in advance.

grade
03-10-2001, 11:04 PM
There are a few things to consider when choosing grass
1. climate
2. maintenance
3. wear tolerance
4. disease resistance
5. greenup breaking dormant period
6. sun and shade
7. soil type
For these reasons it is best to go with a mixture of grass types look for for something like 50%kentucky blue grass which gives you the thick and deep green 50% red fescue which gives you high tolerance of drought,shade and is wear tolerant this way each grass complement each other.

GroundKprs
03-10-2001, 11:26 PM
Check out info at http://www.agnr.umd.edu/ces/pubs/html/fs702/fs702.html . Probably will find more useful stuff at your state extension home page: http://www.agnr.umd.edu/CES/ . There will probably be contact info there also to help you find a local extension office, where you can pick up more documents not yet published on the web site. Best to go to someone in your own geographic region for proper turf selection specific to your climate.

Lanelle
03-10-2001, 11:37 PM
I'm on the other side of the Beltway from you so conditions should be fairly similar. We use a blend of improved tall fescues. Some like to add about 10% bluegrass seed for a more uniform grown-in appearance. Lesco sells a blend that is fairly popular here.

joshua
03-11-2001, 12:41 AM
i would have to say kentucky blue all the way.seed the heck out of it and just water it in the summer if it doesn't rain for awhile.

Lanelle
03-11-2001, 12:53 AM
Kentucky Blue Grass is no longer as popular here as it once was. Our hot dry summers usually force it into dormancy unless you water it constantly. Not many people like a brown lawn in the summer. The improved tall fescues such as Rebel, Falcon 2 and many other named seed varieties do well here.