PDA

View Full Version : V6 Powerstroke

Boycea
08-15-2005, 09:51 PM
Has anyone seen our heard anything on the new ford powerstroke v6 engine. They just designed a new cab-over ford to compete with Isuzu NPR's and designed a new diesel v6. I also heard that they will be offering this optional engine in the SUV's and ford f150's

lwcmattlifter
08-15-2005, 09:54 PM
Hopefully it won't get fuel mileage like the 6.0.

Planet Landscaping
08-15-2005, 10:35 PM
I aint gonna be A first year buyer on :rolleyes: THAT ONE.LOL

Smalltimer1
08-15-2005, 10:38 PM
Hopefully it won't get fuel mileage like the 6.0.

My 6.0 gets 16-20 depending on traffic.

olderthandirt
08-15-2005, 10:56 PM
Has anyone seen our heard anything on the new ford powerstroke v6 engine. They just designed a new cab-over ford to compete with Isuzu NPR's and designed a new diesel v6. I also heard that they will be offering this optional engine in the SUV's and ford f150's
Yep I heard that same rumor about 5 yrs ago :help:

Lawnworks
08-16-2005, 12:12 AM

Yeah I am going to go w/ a "negative" on 20 mpg. No powerstroke on the planet has ever done that.

Smalltimer1
08-16-2005, 01:20 AM
Yeah I am going to go w/ a "negative" on 20 mpg. No powerstroke on the planet has ever done that.

Sorry you feel that way. Mine has, hand calculated, on the open road, @ 65mph. Lots of stop'n'go will give you your results.

Itsgottobegreen
08-16-2005, 01:32 AM

Well put a dp-tuner in it. (makes banks and bull dog look like a joke) watch the mpg go up. Between the tran shift points adjustments, more power, etc. I got a 7.3 diesel and its getting one shortly. 9mpg (its a dump truck) sucks. I should get 12 to 15 when I am done.

The 6.0 with a dp-tuner gets 20 to 24 mpg.

It all depends on how you drive. Drive it like a semi, not a race car. Makes all the difference.

lwcmattlifter
08-16-2005, 01:39 AM

Put a 5-9k load on it and see what it gets. They don't do well at all with moderate to large loads. Now, the VT365 is a good engine in international trim but when you dangle blue oval crap on it turns into a fuel consuming, surging pig. I really like their trucks especially the 7.3 DIT but I'm looking at other brands when I add another one next year. The Isuzu NPR is tried and true, this V6 better be one heck of an engine to compete with it.

2k1yzfr1
08-16-2005, 03:33 AM
Well put a dp-tuner in it. (makes banks and bull dog look like a joke) watch the mpg go up. Between the tran shift points adjustments, more power, etc. I got a 7.3 diesel and its getting one shortly. 9mpg (its a dump truck) sucks. I should get 12 to 15 when I am done.

It all depends on how you drive. Drive it like a semi, not a race car. Makes all the difference.

I am sorry but there is NO WAY a chip,programmer, or whatever you want to call it will give you 3-6 mpg. You can try and exaggerate your numbers to make you think that you spent your $500-700 purchase on better mpg, but I promise that you wont get much better mpg.If you want better mpg just drive it like your grandma driving to the local Piccadilly.

iluvscag
08-16-2005, 08:46 AM
I am sorry but there is NO WAY a chip,programmer, or whatever you want to call it will give you 3-6 mpg. You can try and exaggerate your numbers to make you think that you spent your $500-700 purchase on better mpg, but I promise that you wont get much better mpg.If you want better mpg just drive it like your grandma driving to the local Piccadilly.

You better not mess with him I think he knows a little bit more than you do. :)

Lawnworks
08-16-2005, 10:03 AM

I am gonna go w/ "no" on adding 3-6 mpg per gallon. I think it will improve your mileage, but only 1-2 mpg.

lwcmattlifter
08-16-2005, 10:07 AM
Anyways, a Ford cab over would be interesting. Has Ford announced production yet?

UNISCAPER
08-16-2005, 10:29 AM
"My 6.0 gets 16-20 depending on traffic."

Someone has been breathing the gasses from inside the blue bubble for too long....

Woody82986
08-16-2005, 12:17 PM
Yeah Ford has made some already... There is one of those new cab overs with a 16 plus 4 foot dovetail bed on the back with a 4 foot gate. They are pretty good looking trucks. The turbo on that new V6 powerstroke is tiny. you can see it from the back of the cab sticking right out. I have also heard that Ford was going to make this powerstroke an option in an 07 or 08 F-150 but I will believe it when I actually see one.

Boycea
08-16-2005, 01:52 PM
Anyways, a Ford cab over would be interesting. Has Ford announced production yet?

They are currently siting on the lots of some of the dealers in my area.

2k1yzfr1
08-16-2005, 02:46 PM
You better not mess with him I think he knows a little bit more than you do. :)

Well he may know more about his Powerjokes, but I am pretty familiar with diesel performance. There arent any chips that will give you that kind of mpg increase. They may claim that, But I quarantee you wont get it. Its called a selling method. Kind of like how Banks says their stuff wont void your warantee. :rolleyes: I think you should have just bought a cummins and had the best of both worlds. Power and Best fuel millage :p .

Smalltimer1
08-16-2005, 03:57 PM
"My 6.0 gets 16-20 depending on traffic."

Someone has been breathing the gasses from inside the blue bubble for too long....

I think you have no experience with my truck. Unless you can say you have put your rear in the driver's seat of my truck, then you have nothing relevant or useful to say.

Smalltimer1
08-16-2005, 03:59 PM
Put a 5-9k load on it and see what it gets. They don't do well at all with moderate to large loads.

Had 6850lbs. behind it last week and got 15mpg. Got the weigh in ticket to prove it. The truck didn't even know it was there.

lawnmaniac883
08-16-2005, 04:32 PM
Love these posts where you all say "the truck didn't even know it was back there" I mean really, if you are actually towing close to 7000k, you sure as hell know it is there.

olderthandirt
08-16-2005, 05:44 PM
Love these posts where you all say "the truck didn't even know it was back there" I mean really, if you are actually towing close to 7000k, you sure as hell know it is there.
Not really !!! Its like when your azz get to be 400# after awhile you don't even notice it :D

out4now
08-16-2005, 07:34 PM

Most likely it is just a re-badge of the International CF series. I've seen a couple of the International ones in town. No real hard data on the VT 275 engine. I'll try to upload the PDF brochure for you.

Potomac Lawns Inc.
08-16-2005, 08:17 PM
Well i get 23 mpg on an 03 duramax 4x4 crewcab with a programmer not sure about the fords but the duramax goes up the 23 is only on open highway open highway towing with a trailer load of about 5000lbs at 65mph is 17mpg's

UNISCAPER
08-16-2005, 08:36 PM
"Had 6850lbs. behind it last week and got 15mpg. Got the weigh in ticket to prove it. The truck didn't even know it was there."

Someone has been breathing too many gasses from within the blue bubble again....Or perhaps passing gas when their mouth opens....

Smalltimer1
08-16-2005, 10:53 PM
"Had 6850lbs. behind it last week and got 15mpg. Got the weigh in ticket to prove it. The truck didn't even know it was there."

Someone has been breathing too many gasses from within the blue bubble again....Or perhaps passing gas when their mouth opens....

How bout you put your money where your mouth is and buy my fuel if you think I'm bluffing.

You should wipe your mouth so the scent won't be so strong......

UNISCAPER
08-17-2005, 12:54 AM
"How bout you put your money where your mouth is and buy my fuel if you think I'm bluffing.

You should wipe your mouth so the scent won't be so strong......"

He has definitely been inhaling the gasses within the membrane of the blue bubble....

Lawnworks
08-17-2005, 01:30 AM
Well i get 23 mpg on an 03 duramax 4x4 crewcab with a programmer not sure about the fords but the duramax goes up the 23 is only on open highway open highway towing with a trailer load of about 5000lbs at 65mph is 17mpg's

Just because the computer says it is getting 23 mpg does not mean it is.

Smalltimer, your opinion is irrelevant on powerstrokes... you cannot even admit another company makes a different brand diesel.

I just really don't think these smaller v8 powerstrokes can be efficient engines. Wonder why they dont just stick a 466 in the trucks.

UNISCAPER
08-17-2005, 03:22 AM
After the 3rd transmission on an old Ford truck broke, I just had that crew push the truck from job to job and we documented over 100 miles per gallon! And it had a 12,355 lb trailer on up and down hills and stuff....

Smalltimer1
08-17-2005, 11:09 AM
Smalltimer, your opinion is irrelevant on powerstrokes... you cannot even admit another company makes a different brand diesel.

I OWN a Power Stroke, do YOU?

Yes I can, there's a worn out '83 Chevy with a 6.2L diesel I've put many miles on at the farm.....

We also have a C-70 with a Cat 3208 in it.....I'd say I know a thing or 2 about diesels, spent enough time under the hood of that 6.2 to know that one like the back of my hand. Just because we don't run a Cummins doesn't mean I don't know diesels.

Smalltimer1
08-17-2005, 11:10 AM
After the 3rd transmission on an old Ford truck broke, I just had that crew push the truck from job to job and we documented over 100 miles per gallon! And it had a 12,355 lb trailer on up and down hills and stuff....

After the 5th transmission on our Chevy crapped out it got over 1000mpg! :rolleyes:

UNISCAPER
08-17-2005, 11:14 AM
"After the 5th transmission on our Chevy crapped out it got over 1000mpg!"

A classic case of a young inexperienced boy, trapped within the membrane of his blue bubble only hoping to get out and see the real world....

Smalltimer1
08-17-2005, 03:17 PM
A classic case of a young inexperienced boy, trapped within the membrane of his blue bubble only hoping to get out and see the real world....

I'm sorry you think I'm inexperienced, please read my signature, I'd say that's experience, I have logged over 4000 hours and $15,000 in that venture, while in high school alone, there's probably twice that with what I have done before when I started recording my time.

You know there was a kid that acted just like you in school, thought he was the mechanical expert, and well, he's working at Mc Donald's flipping burgers now.....while I'm a sophomore in one of the finest engineering schools in the country.

I don't claim to be an expert, but I do know enough to make accurate judgements on what I have operated and maintained for many years and I know what is BS and your truck posts are full of it. I was born at night, but it won't last night.

Lawnworks
08-17-2005, 05:40 PM
I would have to say you don't know what the hell you are talking about. My qualifications?? I own 3 diesel trucks, and I have built 3 cummins diesel engines. Also I have spent 4 weeks at a diesel shop watching all of the powerstrokes coming in for engine repair while watching cummins coming in for hot rod parts. I actually like fords alot, but the cummins is by far a superior engine.

The Dude
08-17-2005, 05:58 PM
Why does every thread that smalltimer1 and Uniscaper post in turn into a bashing thread? This nonsense is getting old.

Guthrie&Co
08-17-2005, 06:42 PM
i just put 500 miles on a 25 gallon tank powerstroke.

Guthrie&Co
08-17-2005, 06:53 PM
I would have to say you don't know what the hell you are talking about. My qualifications?? I own 3 diesel trucks, and I have built 3 cummins diesel engines. Also I have spent 4 weeks at a diesel shop watching all of the powerstrokes coming in for engine repair while watching cummins coming in for hot rod parts. I actually like fords alot, but the cummins is by far a superior engine.
meanwhile in reality the dodge truck falls apart at 100k miles.
i had a dodge with the cumming in it and the entire truck including the great cummins was junk. anything and everything went wrong with that truck. if it wasnt the tires wearing out it was the calipers pulling to one side. or it was the oil pump going out,fuel shut off going bad, oil rifle plugs popping out in the motor, roof leaking, seat tearing,fuel sending unit, starter, etc etc. this was at 100k and before. the only good thing about the truck is that it got good fuel mileage. this truck was bbied and well maintained. its just that dodge doesnt make that good of a truck.

UNISCAPER
08-17-2005, 06:57 PM
Very simple answer....In a forum of people, the gneral ideais to gain knowledge and see if you can help anyone....I offewr that help any time i can. And, having had fleets of numerous types of truck, and various brands, I list faults I have had with each brand.

In smaltimers case, he has had the vast experience of owning 4 trucks, and knows no other truck exisit other than Ford. The sadpart is he lets his book learning get to his head and poses as someone who claims to beknowledgabvle in purchase of pick up trucks...So long as it is his ford, and he can beat that into every ones head, his 20 years of exisitence and ownership of 4 vehiclesmake him a renowned expert in the field of trucks.

Frankly I get sick and tiured of someone who knows little to nothing about what he is talking abouyt spew his crap upon those who offer objective opinions based from actual experience of ownership....

olderthandirt
08-17-2005, 07:55 PM
Frankly I get sick and tiured of someone who knows little to nothing about what he is talking abouyt spew his crap upon those who offer objective opinions based from actual experience of ownership....

So is this how you give your objective opinions

or

Its pretty obvious you hate Fords but even though I find it hard to believe that smalltimer is getting 15mpg, its still not impossable
NOTE- the above underlined is an opinion ! notice the differnce?

Smalltimer1
08-17-2005, 08:02 PM

You don't have to own a Cummins to know diesels.....

Smalltimer1
08-17-2005, 08:05 PM
Very simple answer....In a forum of people, the gneral ideais to gain knowledge and see if you can help anyone....I offewr that help any time i can. And, having had fleets of numerous types of truck, and various brands, I list faults I have had with each brand.

In smaltimers case, he has had the vast experience of owning 4 trucks, and knows no other truck exisit other than Ford. The sadpart is he lets his book learning get to his head and poses as someone who claims to beknowledgabvle in purchase of pick up trucks...So long as it is his ford, and he can beat that into every ones head, his 20 years of exisitence and ownership of 4 vehiclesmake him a renowned expert in the field of trucks.

The other trucks I have owned are too old to be concerned with. Therefore I do not mention them. One was a '75 D-100 with a 318 and a '78 D-100 with a 225 Slant 6. Getting ready to pick up a '77 Chevy Silverado and a '85 S-10 for free.

As I stated you don't have to own one to know them. After you've spent enough time under the hood of them and on a creeper under them you get to know them pretty damn good.

Smalltimer1
08-17-2005, 08:09 PM
So is this how you give your objective opinions

or

Its pretty obvious you hate Fords but even though I find it hard to believe that smalltimer is getting 15mpg, its still not impossable
NOTE- the above underlined is an opinion ! notice the differnce?

486 miles/31 gallons=15.667mpg, mixed city/highway and towing/empty miles.

arborist-28
08-17-2005, 08:15 PM
seems like the v10 gets 10 with or without a load doesn't matter .. c

2k1yzfr1
08-17-2005, 09:19 PM
As I stated you don't have to own one to know them. After you've spent enough time under the hood of them and on a creeper under them you get to know them pretty damn good.

Yea you have said it before and we have heard you everytime. The only thing your telling us is that, that Chevy 6.2 take alot of work to keep her running. You say you know diesels just by working on a 6.2. That is just about the poorest excuse for a diesel ever made. :rolleyes:

UNISCAPER
08-17-2005, 09:39 PM
"Its pretty obvious you hate Fords"

Absolutley wrong here Mac. At this time, I have a problem with Ford trucks from the experiences myself and others have had with them. When you have someone who has very little to no experience touting how wonderful they are acting like they have had years worth of knowledge to pass along, it is time to put that person in their place. The minute someone offers an opinion that shows Ford trucks have had problems, Smalltimer denies that it ever occured, it never could happen blah blah blah... I can't help but think hpow misguided his information is to those who truely are looking for information.

It gets old...So, instead of trying to argue with a know it all who will come up with a reverse opinion no matter what you say about a Ford truck, it is easier to point out that when one spends time inside a blue bubble meaning that if you are not open minded enough to see the faults of a particular brand, (no matter what brand you endorse) you need to step out from inside your bubble.

As far as Fords go, I own a toy car that is a Ford. The concrete pumper has a 300 cubic inch 6 for a motor, and, when I had an SK boat, it was powered by a Hillborne injected 427 tunnel port side oiler just like my toy car. I have no problems with Fords. Just at present there are serious issues with their trucks that those who may only be running one truck and need to rely on it should have to know about before investing 40K on their livlihood....
As soon as Ford truck division rectifies the problems they have been having with transmissions, head gaskets and basically making inferior products cheaper than other brands, there might be a few of them back in our fleet.

I wanted to clarify these things to you because you raised question....And, for all intensive purposes, I'm done with this thread, but you watch, if someone does not try to get in the last word I would be very surprized.

Smalltimer1
08-17-2005, 11:19 PM
When you have someone who has very little to no experience touting how wonderful they are acting like they have had years worth of knowledge to pass along, it is time to put that person in their place. The minute someone offers an opinion that shows Ford trucks have had problems, Smalltimer denies that it ever occured, it never could happen blah blah blah... I can't help but think hpow misguided his information is to those who truely are looking for information.

The problem I have with your statements is that you say ALL of them have those problems, you over generalize about this. The other problem I have with your statements is that you CLAIM that I have no experience. But your CLAIMS hold NO water. I have worked around these machines ALL my LIFE. There is nothing you can SAY to CHANGE that. The only way any of your statements about my experience would ever be true would be to build a time machine and turn the clock back 10 years, which I have no interest in and I know you don't have the EXPERIENCE to build one. The only reason I even continue this crap on is because you attack my character and my upbringing and that is something I do NOT tolerate.

Ego is a tough thing to overcome and I hope someday you will outgrow your ego.

I have more experience than 95% of other people my age. Who gets called when they have a breakdown here at college or even at home? ME.

It gets old...So, instead of trying to argue with a know it all who will come up with a reverse opinion no matter what you say about a Ford truck, it is easier to point out that when one spends time inside a blue bubble meaning that if you are not open minded enough to see the faults of a particular brand, (no matter what brand you endorse) you need to step out from inside your bubble.

Yes it does get old arguing with a person that has an ego the size of a blimp. Step out of your blimp and admit that not all Fords have transmission problems. Fords have small problems that I don't like, but for the most part, I like them. Step out of your blimp and remember the 700R4's. Step out of your blimp and recognize the Vortec knocking and oil consumption issues that have been ongoing since 1996. Step out of your blimp and remember Dodges have MORE transmission issues that Ford ever dreamed of. Note that I am not attacking any one brand, just recognizing their faults. I never claimed I knew everything, but I have enough experience to know what is right and wrong and what works and what doesn't.

As soon as Ford truck division rectifies the problems they have been having with transmissions, head gaskets and basically making inferior products cheaper than other brands, there might be a few of them back in our fleet.

I only run one truck and I have had no second thoughts about driving my 6-liter. The engine is awesome and the transmission is leaps and bounds better than the E40D in my old truck and the C6 in the '84 I had. There is nothing cheap about it other than the XL trim. But I plan to take care of that with aftermarket equipment such as nerf bars and chrome wheels. I'd rather make my own XLT than pay an extra 3-grand for it. The GM trucks really have a problem with cheap interiors as well as cheesy electronics. The 4 wheel drive works only when it wants to in ours, because the 4x4 selector even in the floor in a GM is just a giant electric switch, unreliable at best.

I know everything has problems, I have said it before, I know Fords, GM's and Dodges all have their pluses and minuses, but at this time I see fewer with Fords.

Ford 7.3's usually blow a CPS at about 60k, I know and recognize this. They also have problems with cavitation, so the SCA level must be monitored on a regular basis.

The E40D/4R100 transmissions are killed by heat and abuse, a deeper tranny pan and a bigger cooler would solve this. Believe it or not, a common build up of the C6 for pulling and racing includes swapping in a set of E40D planetaries in. They are completely interchangeable.

The 5R110 does not have these issues, it has bigger tranny lines as well as a higher output pump, its only real problem was with a snap ring on the first set of planetaries. The rest have come from abuse and SHIFTING INTO PARK, REVERSE, OR DRIVE WHILE THE TRUCK IS STILL MOVING IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION.

The 6.0 issues have been blown out of proportion by a small minority. I have talked with many 6.0 owners and the majority have not had any problems, or one reflash has fixed the running problems. Keep in mind that a happy owner won't be posting to look for answers like a desperate one will.

The head gaskets have been redesigned because the engines run a 25-30psi boost stock and they found the '03 engine gaskets were marginal at best at maintaining integrity under that kind of pressure. No one that I've talked to on the NC Ford Truck Owner's Association board has had any head gasket failures on a post-11/03 engine. Mine is a 10/03 build and I have yet to see a problem with it.

I wanted to clarify these things to you because you raised question....And, for all intensive purposes, I'm done with this thread, but you watch, if someone does not try to get in the last word I would be very surprized.

Blanket statements that are inaccurate and unsupported are very good cause to be countered by facts, which I have provided in ample supply, and on your side, have been non-existant.

I really do have better things to do than sit here and argue with your ego but I'm rather bored and its dark outside and my engineering homework is done so I figured I'd burn up some extra time.

I am one of the few youth you will find today that is not a textbook junkie or not motivated to do something with my life. I use my brain and my hands everyday to better myself for my future as well as my family's.

Boycea
08-17-2005, 11:41 PM
Sooooooooooooo...... How bout those v6 powerstrokes

Lawnworks
08-17-2005, 11:51 PM
Man smalltimer... I think you need to grow up. You talk about ego... but look at your signature. Are you insecure or something? Can I fedex you a cookie? Get real and get in the real world. BTW, do you still live w/ mommy and daddy?

olderthandirt
08-18-2005, 12:16 AM
486 miles/31 gallons=15.667mpg, mixed city/highway and towing/empty miles
smalltimer,
386 miles/31 gallons= 12.4516
As you can see your # prove nothing to me or anyone else. If your are actually getting 15 mpg good for you, and if your not then it still you that pay for the fuel so it matters none to me.
BTW- I've been running Ford trucks longer than you been around and they have always sucked when it comes to fuel economy and the 6 liter is no differnt.

UNISCAPER
08-18-2005, 10:24 AM
What did I tell you about the last word? And man the ego that kid has is bigger than life....

Smalltimer1
08-19-2005, 12:35 AM
Man smalltimer... I think you need to grow up. You talk about ego... but look at your signature. Are you insecure or something? Can I fedex you a cookie? Get real and get in the real world. BTW, do you still live w/ mommy and daddy?

I earned that honor, and it's not bragging if you've done it. I've grown a lot in recent years and I'm sorry you think I'm insecure, but maybe you should look inside and ask yourself the same question. How bout I just take a dump in a box and send it back to you? I am in the real world. I have bills to pay just as everyone else here does. I live in Raleigh, 30 miles away from home. Do you still drink from a milk bottle?

Smalltimer1
08-19-2005, 12:39 AM
What did I tell you about the last word? And man the ego that kid has is bigger than life....

I don't talk about what I haven't done.....everything I have said is true and I have done--many times over. I could care less what you think of me, or anyone else. I am my own person, and NO one can change that. Ask anyone I have dealt with and I have almost no ego. Besides, I thought you were bowing out of this one????? Someone went back on their word, thats not a testament to your character.

Smalltimer1
08-19-2005, 12:42 AM
smalltimer,
386 miles/31 gallons= 12.4516
As you can see your # prove nothing to me or anyone else. If your are actually getting 15 mpg good for you, and if your not then it still you that pay for the fuel so it matters none to me.
BTW- I've been running Ford trucks longer than you been around and they have always sucked when it comes to fuel economy and the 6 liter is no differnt.

Well I can't prove it unless you're there riding in the truck as well, but those were the numbers I had at the pump the other night, I could care less if you believe them, I'm the one paying for the fuel anyway. I've never seen any full sized pickup get anything consistently over 20mpg (only short durations), Ford, Chevy or Dodge. And all these remarks about my age are cute, they might mean something if we were all in preschool, but that topic is irrelevant to this discussion and is meaningless.

olderthandirt
08-19-2005, 09:15 AM
I've never seen any full sized pickup get anything consistently over 20mpg (only short durations), Ford, Chevy or Dodge.
87 chevy 1/2 1500 WT with 4.3 -- 21 mpg cinsistently
But Guess what YOU still have'nt seen it. WHY ? because of your age.
Your proving Bill, Uniscaper right :dizzy:

Grassmechanic
08-19-2005, 10:59 AM
I also get OVER 20 mpg consistently, with a '97 Dodge with a cummins. I got as low as 20 with it pulling 6 snowmobiles up north a few times. And it has an auto trans that is all original with 145,000 miles so far. But, I'm in the same boat as you, Mac.

Smalltimer1
08-19-2005, 03:04 PM
87 chevy 1/2 1500 WT with 4.3 -- 21 mpg cinsistently
But Guess what YOU still have'nt seen it. WHY ? because of your age.
Your proving Bill, Uniscaper right :dizzy:

My age has nothing to do with this discussion. Some folks being cenile contributes nothing to this discussion, vultures will be vultures. Think what you want, but with the geography around here there is no way a V6 full size will ever see 20mpg, pulling these steep hills will make a V6 truck downshift to keep it in the power band, which in turn decreases mileage to the 16-18 range, not saying all of them do it, but the S-10 we had only saw 20-22mpg on the interstate. Local driving kept it in the 15-17 range. If the hills don't kill the mileage, the stop lights here will. That is what I HAVE SEEN because I have driven these trucks for a long time, as I stated earlier, over 100,000 ticket and accident free miles in 4 years. Maybe if you actually were here to ride around you'd know instead of making smartassed uneducated remarks.

hosejockey2002
08-19-2005, 05:34 PM
Can someone make these bickering children shut up so we can discuss the actual thread? :dizzy: I beleive it was supposed to be about V6 Powerstrokes.

Lawnworks
08-19-2005, 08:48 PM
I earned that honor, and it's not bragging if you've done it. I've grown a lot in recent years and I'm sorry you think I'm insecure, but maybe you should look inside and ask yourself the same question. How bout I just take a dump in a box and send it back to you? I am in the real world. I have bills to pay just as everyone else here does. I live in Raleigh, 30 miles away from home. Do you still drink from a milk bottle?

Why the hell should I ask myself the same question?? Do you see anything in my signature that says anything about anything I have accomplished? Because I have grossed X amount per month should I post it in my signature? That is not bragging? Lets face it you want people to think you are something special. Well.... your not. And yes I do drink from a milk bottle if that is what it comes in. You need to quit suckin on your momma's teet.

Can someone make these bickering children shut up so we can discuss the actual thread? I beleive it was supposed to be about V6 Powerstrokes.

This is more fun than discussing some V6 junk motor.

anteater6788
08-20-2005, 09:13 PM
The 4.5L Powerstroke is pretty much just the 6.0 minus to cylinders to make it a V-6. Ford was planning on offering it in the F-150 and some SUV's but the last I heard they had dropped the idea and bought their way out of their contract with Navistar for the 4.5L. Navistar is offereing the 4.5L in medium duty trucks as well as a truck that will replace the Hummer in alot of military applications (the Hummer is way over weight with armor plating). Since Ford has dropped the idea of a 1/2 ton diesel truck I think Dodge needs to start offering the 3.9L Cummins in the Dakato or 1500.

Lawnworks
08-20-2005, 11:01 PM
What diesel are they using in that Jeep Liberty... maybe that engine could be an option. A diesel shop down here put a 5.9 cummins in a dodge dakota. It was mildly hopped up w/ 400rwhp and it ran 12.0 in the quarter mile and got 30 mpg. Talk about a sweet ride.

Smalltimer1
08-20-2005, 11:03 PM
Why the hell should I ask myself the same question? Do you see anything in my signature that says anything about anything I have accomplished?

If you don't understand, then there is no need in explaining. That accomplishment is a testament to my experience, they don't give those things away......and they don't award that to someone who does nothing productive. Being a national finalist means that I am one of four people nationwide to have made it this far, among the 50 states, and their many applicants. I'm not gloating about it or shoving it down anyone's throats here, its only there in my sig for any other past or present FFA members to see (because they know what it is and hold an appreciation for it, obviously you don't) and to discuss it should someone be interested in starting a project like the one I had or discuss the way I kept my records or how it all got started 6 years ago. I don't mind giving tips and hints to young folks just starting out in mechanics and mowing. Right now I am helping a 14 yr. old up the street get off the ground with his lawn care stuff. I helped his father get the proper permits and liscenses and also helped them get their equipment set up right to begin the transformation from using residential equipment to commercial equipment in their little operation.

Because I have grossed X amount per month should I post it in my signature? That is not bragging? Lets face it you want people to think you are something special. Well.... your not.

Money is nothing to brag about, my award was not based on money, it was based on the whole operation. Money made only accounted for a 1/10th of the selection process. So yes, you would be bragging if you posted the amount of money you made. I know I'm nothing special, but unlike you, most people are happy to cheer on their fellow man when he has worked hard to earn an achievement such as this and not be jealous. I'm sorry you feel that way.

And yes I do drink from a milk bottle if that is what it comes in. You need to quit suckin on your momma's teet.

You need to get out of the womb first, your talk really shows how intelligent you are.

olderthandirt
08-21-2005, 01:35 AM
My age has nothing to do with this discussion. Some folks being cenile contributes nothing to this discussion, vultures will be vultures. Think what you want, but with the geography around here there is no way a V6 full size will ever see 20mpg, pulling these steep hills will make a V6 truck downshift to keep it in the power band, which in turn decreases mileage to the 16-18 range, not saying all of them do it, but the S-10 we had only saw 20-22mpg on the interstate. Local driving kept it in the 15-17 range. If the hills don't kill the mileage, the stop lights here will. That is what I HAVE SEEN because I have driven these trucks for a long time, as I stated earlier, over 100,000 ticket and accident free miles in 4 years. Maybe if you actually were here to ride around you'd know instead of making smartassed uneducated remarks.
I'll take the chance on this getting deleted to point out the facts to you sonny
#1 if your gonna make a smart azz comment about me learn how to spell--it's senile not cenile.
#2 You have owned hardly anything as far as vehicles! You just now BOUGHT your 1st diesel. Since I've owned a 96-98-99-2/2002 and a 2005 PSD I think I can give a more objective opinion of them than you can since you just bought one.
#3 I told you what real life chevy 1500 got for mileage and your telling me "geography around there" that it can't happen.
That goes to your age, you have not been around the country, you been stuck in your little corner of the "region" and have no idea what a truck can get in different regions. I've have been to different region many times over the yrs with different trucks so I do know what I'm talking about in the real world.
That is what I HAVE SEEN because I have driven these trucks for a long time, as I stated earlier, over 100,000 ticket and accident free miles in 4 years.
Big deal sonny ! I've got almost 10 times the miles and yrs driving you do and BTW there also ticket & accident free.
Now when you mature and OWN instead of working on family and friend junk to get them running you can chime in with some "REAL WORLD" opinions
Maybe if you actually were here to ride around you'd know instead of making smartassed uneducated remarks.
This is the kind of remark I would expect from a kid like you, we have a phrase for people like you we call them educated idiots. Why? they spent all there time trying to learn from the books and little time applying it in the world.
The requirements for Future Farmers of America are, do you want to join? And have your parents sign this permission card saying its OK.
Class is over now sonny you can go back to school and keep getting that edumacation that you keep throwing into everyones face.

Scag48
08-21-2005, 04:04 AM
Wow, this is hilarious. BTW, I'm selling my GMC :cool: Mileage on any truck basically sucks, so I'm getting a car. I hear Honda Civics get like 35 MPG, that sounds good, but I can afford to be a little below 35, so I'll go with a BMW M3 and get 28 MPG, power and mileage, that'll handle it. Are you guys done arguing yet?

Smalltimer1
08-22-2005, 12:28 AM
I'll take the chance on this getting deleted to point out the facts to you sonny
#1 if your gonna make a smart azz comment about me learn how to spell--it's senile not cenile.

Use a dictionary, it is cenile.

#2 You have owned hardly anything as far as vehicles! You just now BOUGHT your 1st diesel. Since I've owned a 96-98-99-2/2002 and a 2005 PSD I think I can give a more objective opinion of them than you can since you just bought one.

I've put a lot of miles on lots of different vehicles, just because I haven't owned what I have driven over the years doesn't mean I don't know anything about them. I'm sure if your neighbor called you up and asked you to come change spark plugs in their car you'd be pretty familiar with the overall build of that vehicle after you finished? If it was a tough one to do, you'd be cursing it as over complicated. I don't talk about what I haven't driven, I haven't said anything about Toyotas or Nissans, because I haven't driven one.

#3 I told you what real life chevy 1500 got for mileage and your telling me "geography around there" that it can't happen.
That goes to your age, you have not been around the country, you been stuck in your little corner of the "region" and have no idea what a truck can get in different regions. I've have been to different region many times over the yrs with different trucks so I do know what I'm talking about in the real world.

I've travelled out of the South lots of times, I know what different areas can do to mileage. I've driven to Fort Lauderdale, Florida, non-stop, 14 hours, only stopping for gas and drive thru's. also driven to Washington DC, to Baltimore, Newark, and all sorts of little places between here and there. There is a huge variation in geography here in NC. You have a beach to the east, and mountains to the west. NC is home to Mount Mitchell, the tallest mountain east of the Mississippi. Again age is no factor in this discussion, it is only your crutch to try and bias the audience to your side.

Big deal sonny ! I've got almost 10 times the miles and yrs driving you do and BTW there also ticket & accident free.
Now when you mature and OWN instead of working on family and friend junk to get them running you can chime in with some "REAL WORLD" opinions

I DO OWN my own equipment. I don't care how much driving you've done, you haven't been a passenger in MY truck, I do not drive like other people my age. I use far more caution and precision. By the way, the remark about maturity was cute, but still inaccurate here, I have earned everything I have honestly and never cheated anyone, I deal fair and square with everyone, no matter who they are or where they come from.

I'm sure my friends and family would appreciate you calling their equipment and machinery junk, especially when your money is no where to be found in the purchase of these machines. BTW most of their equipment is less than 5 years old, and I maintain them, not rebuild them. I sold all my parts mowers for scrap metal a long time ago. The only machines I am restoring are a 1977 John Deere 300 and a 1974 International Harvester 149. They were good solid machines in their day and they are worth restoring to their former glory.

This is the kind of remark I would expect from a kid like you, we have a phrase for people like you we call them educated idiots. Why? they spent all there time trying to learn from the books and little time applying it in the world.

We also have a name for people like you, but just to be decent I will refrain from saying it. I'm not the idiot here, I can work just as good in the field as I can on the computer, and have proved it over many times. I am just as at home on a tractor as I am anywhere else. I have spent some time in books, but most of my time is with hands on experience, such as setting up a GPS guidance system for a tractor, where you can get out of it and let it drive itself. Other times I have used a soil sampling rig on a Gator and sent those in for analysis to see what the ground needs to be a productive field. Given the time, I could make your little ZTR run itself, further enhancing its efficiency.

The requirements for Future Farmers of America are, do you want to join? And have your parents sign this permission card saying its OK.
Class is over now sonny you can go back to school and keep getting that edumacation that you keep throwing into everyones face.

You obviously don't know squat about what it is. That might have been what it was about 40 years ago, but the application I completed was 14 pages long and asked about every little detail about my operation. Wonder if you could answer it all??

http://www.ffa.org/programs/proficiency/documents/prof_entenglish_app.zip

Take a look at that application, its more than a parent signing permission. Wish it was that easy, I spent a lot of time going through my records of 6 years to complete it.

You should respect what has been done and criticize the guy down the street trying to put you out of business.

I only speak up when I feel it is necessary, and then it is only when I know I can back it up with factual information and real world experience. Whether you choose to accept it is up to you, and quite frankly, I could care less whether you do or not, because I do not know you, and you have no bearing on what I will do tomorrow or anytime during the course of my life.

Lawnworks
08-22-2005, 02:09 AM
If you don't understand, then there is no need in explaining. That accomplishment is a testament to my experience, they don't give those things away......and they don't award that to someone who does nothing productive. Being a national finalist means that I am one of four people nationwide to have made it this far, among the 50 states, and their many applicants. I'm not gloating about it or shoving it down anyone's throats here, its only there in my sig for any other past or present FFA members to see (because they know what it is and hold an appreciation for it, obviously you don't) and to discuss it should someone be interested in starting a project like the one I had or discuss the way I kept my records or how it all got started 6 years ago. I don't mind giving tips and hints to young folks just starting out in mechanics and mowing. Right now I am helping a 14 yr. old up the street get off the ground with his lawn care stuff. I helped his father get the proper permits and liscenses and also helped them get their equipment set up right to begin the transformation from using residential equipment to commercial equipment in their little operation.

Money is nothing to brag about, my award was not based on money, it was based on the whole operation. Money made only accounted for a 1/10th of the selection process. So yes, you would be bragging if you posted the amount of money you made. I know I'm nothing special, but unlike you, most people are happy to cheer on their fellow man when he has worked hard to earn an achievement such as this and not be jealous. I'm sorry you feel that way.

You need to get out of the womb first, your talk really shows how intelligent you are.

I still don't understand why your award is in 110 font??????????

Ok this is a double standard. Money is not acceptable to brag about, but your award is. I mean I could understand you posting and saying "man look what I achieved" but I think you are insecure by wanting everybody to know what it is and why you were so special to get it.

Define intelligence?? Is it what you get from reading a book? Maybe for you, but for me intelligence is figuring out how to increase your net worth and make a comfortable living for your family. Your talk shows how arrogant and one-sided you are. You can never acknoledge someone else's opinion even if they have more experience than you. That does not seem very intelligent.

Ironmower
08-22-2005, 02:30 AM
I still don't understand why your award is in 110 font??????????

I understand where he is coming from. He really does have something to be proud of. I raised my sons active in FFA and it paid off for them in valuable skills with leadership and in work ethic. I wish they had done that well when they were in it. Keep up the good work, Smalltimer, it will pay off.

Ok this is a double standard. Money is not acceptable to brag about, but your award is. I mean I could understand you posting and saying "man look what I achieved" but I think you are insecure by wanting everybody to know what it is and why you were so special to get it.

Perhaps the double standard is in your ideas. Money is a touchy subject, and personally I wouldn't want to brag about my finances on an open forum. He is on the right track, he has something to be proud of and he has every right to say it, he earned it, if what he says is true. To put it bluntly, IT AIN'T BRAGGIN' IF YOU'VE DONE IT, however money is just not one of those things to brag about.

Define intelligence?? Is it what you get from reading a book? Maybe for you, but for me intelligence is figuring out how to increase your net worth and make a comfortable living for your family. Your talk shows how arrogant and one-sided you are. You can never acknoledge someone else's opinion even if they have more experience than you. That does not seem very intelligent.

Times were very different when I grew up, life was not all about money back in the 40's and 50's when I was coming up, it still shouldn't be today, but sadly people like you make life unpleasant for the rest of us.

I've made a more than 'comfortable living' for my family over the years with hard work and sweat equity. Maybe the arrogant one is you, he says he's had experience, I believe him, his ideas are logical and coherent and he has provided credible facts for his ideas, something which you have lacked in your discussion. Lucky my wife went to college so she taught me what she knew about the books and all. It sure looks like Smalltimer is bettering himself in school to be a better person later on in life, something that should be commendable when folks his age are only after money, booze, and women.

Keep pushing Smalltimer, don't let these nay-sayers hold you back.

Turf Dancer
09-01-2005, 10:12 AM
I have a powerstroke and I have done everything possible to try and get oever 15.4 mpg. Larger downpipe, tried the tuner and even put a chip in it. It still sucks! 12.5 in town with a 3700 pound load behind it. It is a hunk of crap! I hear all these guys talk about how they get 18 to 20! I have had several of them give me their mileage at the fuel pumps and the gallons they put in, after I calculate it out for them they get all pissed because they never checked it! They just assumed that the salemans word was good! A guy the other day said he gets 18.5 all the time. I calculated it out for him and he was getting 15.74. That in not all that great! He was all pissed off and said he was going to tell the salesman that he was a liar! The cummins is the way to go!

Smalltimer1
09-01-2005, 10:15 AM
I have a powerstroke and I have done everything possible to try and get oever 15.4 mpg. Larger downpipe, tried the tuner and even put a chip in it. It still sucks! 12.5 in town with a 3700 pound load behind it. It is a hunk of crap! I hear all these guys talk about how they get 18 to 20! I have had several of them give me their mileage at the fuel pumps and the gallons they put in, after I calculate it out for them they get all pissed because they never checked it! They just assumed that the salemans word was good! A guy the other day said he gets 18.5 all the time. I calculated it out for him and he was getting 15.74. That in not all that great! He was all pissed off and said he was going to tell the salesman that he was a liar! The cummins is the way to go!

Mine is getting 17 empty, and 15-16 towing. Perhaps you have a lower gear ratio??

Turf Dancer
09-01-2005, 10:20 AM
Gear ratio is 3.55. The guys at Ford even said that they never see any actually get better mileage than what I get.

efaubert1
09-01-2005, 11:21 AM

You'd be wrong there bud. I get 17 out of my 99 PSD on the highway and 13 pulling an 11,000 pound 3 horse gooseneck trailer, and my 1997 with banks kit would get 21 cruising at 65-68 mph. Not saying you get it every tankful, but if you drive it right it is possible, and alot of it has to do with the rearend.
As for the V6 Powerstroke, it got shelved for Ford a few years ago unless they are trying to renew interest. The engine already exist, and is used in International light trucks. So the engine would not be new, it would just be new to FORD.

waltroach
09-01-2005, 02:52 PM
[QUOTE=Smalltimer1]Use a dictionary, it is cenile.

what dictionary are you using?