PDA

View Full Version : the time has come, and it is prime

bobbygedd
08-15-2005, 10:42 PM
i see the amigos at the gas station change the numbers every day, sometimes, twice a day. $2.34, $2.37, $2.41.........i think the time has come. the gas increase has not effected me, AT ALL. with my routes, my economy trucks, and my overhead, i don't care if they raise it to $4.50 a gallon. but, my competitors do. those clowns pulling huge enclosed trailers with big dump trucks. i am seriously considering putting out 20,000 flyers that read, " WE WILL BEAT OUR COMPETITORS PRICES (in most cases)." now, while these guys need to raise thier rates just to break even, i will come in at cheaper than thier current rate, and make about 400-500% more profit than them. simply because, i can. good idea, or what

Bulletproof
08-15-2005, 10:50 PM
Do whatever works! And if you can do it more power to you.

That is phenomenal if you can pull it off payup

Albemarle Lawn
08-15-2005, 10:53 PM
With all your newfound work, how would you be able to keep posting here all the time?

Maybe, hire a sexretary to post to lawnsite for you, you could pay her $5.75/hr or better yet work off your debt to her, and you could go out and make that 500% profit. :cool2:

i_plant_art
08-15-2005, 10:55 PM
there is NO WAY POSSIBLE for the huge hilke in gas increase has not affected your bottom line, if you leave everything about your business the same and dont change a thing about it, your expenses are going up due to gas, and oil then how does that not affect you. you can get rid of an employee to compensate, cut corners on properties to make up for time, take a longer lunch, etc etc. the way gas prices have /are going up if your not doing some sort of surcharge then in time yuoll be out of business while those "big enclosed trailers" are still going down the road. Im sorry but the math just does not add up in the this case.

bobbygedd
08-15-2005, 11:00 PM
it certainly does.

JB1
08-15-2005, 11:04 PM
woel i'll dwink to dat bubby.

HighGrass
08-15-2005, 11:30 PM
I can't say that I totally agree but Since gas has gone up (this year alone) the total difference between the beginning of the year, it's gone up about .55 cents a gallon. That said, that's an increase about .30 cents per lawn for the mower, .01/per lawn for my trimmer, and .08/lawn for my truck.
Okay, so that's about .50 cents per lawn.
Even if it goes to 3.00/gallon, if I raised my prices about a dollar per lawn, that will more than cover the increase.

6'7 330
08-15-2005, 11:58 PM
Is this just a fancy way to say..you need a new cain pole to troll with?

Howie's Lawn Care
08-16-2005, 12:23 AM
Deion Sanders....is also prime time!

Brianslawn
08-16-2005, 02:00 AM
of course the high gas prices havent affected bobby... all his equipment plugs in!

Mo Green
08-16-2005, 07:22 AM
of course the high gas prices havent affected bobby... all his equipment plugs in!

Actually.......everything is cheaper and better in FANTASYLAND.

DUSTYCEDAR
08-16-2005, 08:21 AM
do it bobby put a hurtin on all the fools out there school them payup

bobbygedd
08-16-2005, 08:56 AM
it is times like this, that the truly wise will prosper. i always said keep overhead as low as possible. i always said drive the smallet, least gas burning vehicle you can. yes sir, the truly wise will prosper. the "it's all about image" guys, will crumble to dust. or, then can wack for me

bobbygedd
08-16-2005, 09:10 AM
Is this just a fancy way to say..you need a new cain pole to troll with?
i called the university, showed them your picture, and they feel we have found the missing link. don't be frightened if someone tries to throw a net on you, and capture you for observation. as far as my troll, no sir, not a troll at all. but, using fishing as an example, it's best to fish, when the fish (customers) are biting, isn't it? bigger companies, with thier bigger overhead, and thier gas guzzling vehicles, cannot take a hit like this(gas prices soaring) without raising thier rates. the little , but much wiser man, can. if they are mowing for $25, $27, they will need to go up to $30-$32 just to keep thier head above water. i come in at the original $25, or even $24, i can easily add 20-30 clients in a very short time. but don't be silly to think that i'm "lowballing", i'll just simply change the numbers a bit, and lower the level of service. the "base service" is grasscutting, this is the number they will pay most attention to, the weekly mowing rate.

PMLAWN
08-16-2005, 10:50 AM

I don't think he wanted that fact out in the open. :p

I know the higher cost of gas has hurt me- If I pay the higher price at the pump outside, I have to buy the cheaper Beer at the counter inside.

OrganicBob
08-16-2005, 10:56 AM
When your only equipment is a PC in your mom's basement and a lot of free time between feeding and burping sessions with mommy, I doubt that bobby is affected by gas prices at all, that is until they get so high that his mommy quits buying him formula and diapers and kicks him out on his a$$ to fend for himself in the real world! :waving:

efaubert1
08-16-2005, 01:47 PM
I think it is a poor business practice to "beat your current price". If you are as smart as you say you are, print the flyers with useful information. Figure out what the minimum you will cut a yard for of a given size. Being as cutting is your basic service. list it, like 2500-3000 sq ft yd $XX, 3100-3500 $XX, and then add an options list with additional costing. If your prices truly are lower than the competitor then you will gain business without looking like an a$$ to the other LCO's in your area. You maintain some preofessionalism and don't get your a$$ whipped by the local guy that wants to beat you to death for baiting his customers with the promise of beating HIS price. You just state YOUR price.

bobbygedd
08-16-2005, 02:34 PM
there are many ways to attract clientelle. better work, credentials, etc etc etc, and on that list, is price

efaubert1
08-16-2005, 02:54 PM
And the PRICE will be on your flyer, will it not? So why be a smart aleck, using questionable advertising tactics, when a less abrasive form with potentialy less repercussions for you would achieve the same goal. It's not how you get there, it the final goal you are trying to achieve. This isn't 9th grade geometry where you have to use the formula no matter what. Seeing as your formula usually includes insulting someone else.

And if you ever tried to tell me how to do my job, I might listen if you didn't make it sound condescending. But I still trim wrong sometimes :D

wrtenterprises
08-16-2005, 04:10 PM
If the real guys need to charge $32.00 per cut, I really do not see an up side to leaving money in the customers pocket???? Why give the customer a break of $5.00 per trip when you can put it in your pocket. I would rather add 10 customers at $40.00 per cut than 20 customers at $20.00. Work smarter fella's not harder..... Don't be fooled into thinking more work equals more $$$$$$$$....

bobbygedd
08-16-2005, 04:59 PM
i do know this: if i have 10 properties, all in a row, i make ALOT MORE MONEY doing these 10, at $26 a piece, than if i had a different 10, divided up into 5 separate stops, but charging $30 a piece. i'll tell you who is leaving money somewhere, the idiots working at 7% profit, that's who. if they are charging $30, and netting 7%, they are clearing $2.10 on each lawn cut. I CAN come in at $26, but clear 70% = $18.20 on each lawn cut. THEY ARE the true lowballers. they mismanage thier business to a point that they are working for pennies on the dollar. don't worry guys, as long as i'm around, i'll make sure you always have a job................weedwacking for me. do NOT let me see you edging with the wacker though

yrdandgardenhandyman
08-16-2005, 05:27 PM
And the PRICE will be on your flyer, will it not? So why be a smart aleck, using questionable advertising tactics, when a less abrasive form with potentialy less repercussions for you would achieve the same goal. It's not how you get there, it the final goal you are trying to achieve. This isn't 9th grade geometry where you have to use the formula no matter what. Seeing as your formula usually includes insulting someone else.

And if you ever tried to tell me how to do my job, I might listen if you didn't make it sound condescending. But I still trim wrong sometimes :D

Bobby WANTS the other LCO's to confront him, don'tcha Bob? He'd love it. He'd just love to turn his bad self on and teach dem not to mess wit da mahsta.
You'd have 'em runnin' for cover wouldn't you Bobby.

Seriously, the one valid point Bobby does have is that we need to keep our overhead down. Gas is only one way. Run a lean mean business machine and you can't lose. But that was true even when gas prices were $0.399 / gallon.

OrganicBob
08-16-2005, 05:30 PM
All Joking aside, you are right!
Tight Route Management is a must, esp. for a big crew or fleet operation.
It will be interesting to see how much this increases or decreases competition. . . depending which end of the stick your holding at the end of the day.

bobbygedd
08-16-2005, 05:34 PM
actually, no. i do not seek confrontation with lawnboys. i do love a good debate, but it's impossible with the common lawnboy. less than 3 minutes into the conversation, lawnboy, being toothless and of very limited intillect, gets frustrated and has to resort to throwing his fists. this can only result in disaster. someone gets hurt, someone gets arrested, someone gets sued. i'd gladly put on the gloves with anyone of them, but me having to shovel them into oblivion, in the middle of the street, would be bad for us both, although, quite satisfying for me. nope, street violence is only out of neccesity, avoid it if possible

Turfdude
08-16-2005, 07:03 PM
actually, no. i do not seek confrontation with lawnboys. i do love a good debate, but it's impossible with the common lawnboy. less than 3 minutes into the conversation, lawnboy, being toothless and of very limited intillect, gets frustrated and has to resort to throwing his fists. this can only result in disaster. someone gets hurt, someone gets arrested, someone gets sued. i'd gladly put on the gloves with anyone of them, but me having to shovel them into oblivion, in the middle of the street, would be bad for us both, although, quite satisfying for me. nope, street violence is only out of neccesity, avoid it if possible
This was what Bobby saw when he looked at the surveilance tape the police had of him going at it w/ a respectable LCO w/ larger dump truck & enclosed trailer at their local "downtown" station.

lawncare4u
08-16-2005, 08:57 PM
another BS sescion from bobby!

AL Inc
08-16-2005, 09:06 PM
It's spelled "intellect",it is better to use words you can spell when you are describing someone of lesser intelligence than you.

bobbygedd
08-16-2005, 09:11 PM
It's spelled "intellect",it is better to use words you can spell when you are describing someone of lesser intelligence than you.
who cares? WHO CARES????? all i know is, i'm sendin out 4 amigos tommorow with 5,000 fliers each. you better hope i don't expand into long island, you and paponte will end up wackin and edgin for me. while we are alone, you can call me bob, but, , in front of the guys, just call me "mr.g".

AL Inc
08-16-2005, 09:25 PM
Thank you, Mr G. Can I have Saturdays off?

bobbygedd
08-16-2005, 09:27 PM
Thank you, Mr G. Can I have Saturdays off?
no. i'm sorry. saturdays, i'll need you on the poop pick up crew. but hey, work hard, and you'll get promoted from scooper, to bucket dumper

ToroLandscaper
08-16-2005, 09:32 PM
no. i'm sorry. saturdays, i'll need you on the poop pick up crew. but hey, work hard, and you'll get promoted from scooper, to bucket dumper

Bobby we all know you are the best and make the most money and you do it the way everyone else should do.

AL Inc
08-16-2005, 09:33 PM
Wow, I thought I had a hard time picking up women when I said I cut lawns for a living, what are they going to say when I tell them I'm chief scooper for Bobby G?

bobbygedd
08-16-2005, 09:35 PM
Wow, I thought I had a hard time picking up women when I said I cut lawns for a living, what are they going to say when I tell them I'm chief scooper for Bobby G?
they will probably say, "take me, to your leader....." :cool:

AL Inc
08-16-2005, 09:39 PM
LMAO, you make me laugh, BG

Brianslawn
08-16-2005, 09:54 PM
G:\scrub 001_edited2

bobby's fuel efficient rig.

Brianslawn
08-16-2005, 09:59 PM
sorry first time doing the pic thing. hopefully this works

landcare pa
08-16-2005, 10:38 PM
i see his paper assh-le ripped the seat!! :cool2:

grassmanvt
08-16-2005, 11:15 PM
i do know this: if i have 10 properties, all in a row, i make ALOT MORE MONEY doing these 10, at $26 a piece, than if i had a different 10, divided up into 5 separate stops, but charging $30 a piece. i'll tell you who is leaving money somewhere, the idiots working at 7% profit, that's who. if they are charging $30, and netting 7%, they are clearing $2.10 on each lawn cut. I CAN come in at $26, but clear 70% = $18.20 on each lawn cut. THEY ARE the true lowballers. they mismanage thier business to a point that they are working for pennies on the dollar. don't worry guys, as long as i'm around, i'll make sure you always have a job................weedwacking for me. do NOT let me see you edging with the wacker though

Gee, what an idea, oh, wait, I've heard this before, sounds like justmowit, jersey style. Also remember, profit % numbers are often "adjusted" creatively for tax purposes. You obviously have some decent ideas for mowing procedure and public relations but why would you want to show that much of a profit? Don't you end up just giving a lot of that extra profit to uncle sam. I am genuionly curious. I have always tried to throw a lot of money right back into the business to avoid giving it to uncle sam.

bobbygedd
08-17-2005, 07:50 AM
if i have to tell you how to "hide the weinie", then you need more help than i can give you. so, you are going to "throw it back into the business" to avoid paying taxes on it? either way, you don't have it. either buy stuff you really don't need, or give it to uncle same, either way, it's not in your pocket. i try to keep things rational. do i need a $10,000 walker to mow my 3,500 sq ft properties? nope. do i need a dump truck with 8 wheels on it, to pull a trailer with a 36" and 48" mower? nope. i buy what i need, and only, what i need. don't compare my ideas to justmowit. i saw his pictures, he's making big money i do believe this, but he is another 7% man. granted, it's 7% of probably 2.5 million, but it's still, 7%.

craigs lawncare
08-17-2005, 09:37 AM
i see the amigos at the gas station change the numbers every day, sometimes, twice a day. $2.34, $2.37, $2.41.........i think the time has come. the gas increase has not effected me, AT ALL. with my routes, my economy trucks, and my overhead, i don't care if they raise it to $4.50 a gallon. but, my competitors do. those clowns pulling huge enclosed trailers with big dump trucks. i am seriously considering putting out 20,000 flyers that read, " WE WILL BEAT OUR COMPETITORS PRICES (in most cases)." now, while these guys need to raise thier rates just to break even, i will come in at cheaper than thier current rate, and make about 400-500% more profit than them. simply because, i can. good idea, or what

Actually, I agree with you Bobby.
If you had the foresight to see this coming and planed ahead and keep business costs down, than you are a smart business operator.
Me, I have an 8 year old GMC Sonoma as my tow vehicle. With the little Sonoma, I pull a Gravely 260Z, a Scag walk behind, two Stihl trimmers, Stihl leaf blower, two cans of gas and what ever miscellaneous equipment I may need that day. My tandem axle trailer is slightly smaller than a car trailer and has surge brakes so I can hook it to any vehicle. Most of my competitors all drive full size trucks. My little Sonoma has pulled this load fine for all eight years without a hitch.
I remember a thread on this site some time back where someone was considering getting a Ford Ranger to use as a work truck. Everyone said get a full sized vehicle and that a “little” Ranger could not pull such a load. There was some pretty spirited debate on the subject. Well, guess what… I bet that guy would like to have a small truck right now.
From this side of the argument I agree with Bobby. While I don’t agree with directly undercutting someone, if he can undercut and still make a profit, more power to him.

I can't say that I totally agree but Since gas has gone up (this year alone) the total difference between the beginning of the year, it's gone up about .55 cents a gallon. That said, that's an increase about .30 cents per lawn for the mower, .01/per lawn for my trimmer, and .08/lawn for my truck.
Okay, so that's about .50 cents per lawn.
Even if it goes to 3.00/gallon, if I raised my prices about a dollar per lawn, that will more than cover the increase.

Just remember that while it is nice to figure what you will loose in increased gas prices alone, there is a major cause and effect that goes along with increased gas prices.
Like many of us, fuel has affected your bottom line. Well, you are not the only one who has been affected. Shipping companies have also seen their profits drop as well. Guess who is going to see the affects of that increase. The other day I heard one of the major airlines has increased their ticket prices to cover for fuel losses. Pretty soon the business man that travels that airline on a regular basis has to raise his prices to cover the cost. See what I mean. I have raised my gas prices since gas hit $2.50 per gallon. Guess what, the businesses I do work for will probably eventually have to raise the price of their product as well, because they are being charged more for shipping of their products, more in air fare for its sales team to travel afar or what ever, all the way down to increased costs of lawn maintenance for their company.
There is much more to figure into the equation than the rising price per gallon alone.

if i have to tell you how to "hide the weinie", then you need more help than i can give you. so, you are going to "throw it back into the business" to avoid paying taxes on it? either way, you don't have it. either buy stuff you really don't need, or give it to uncle same, either way, it's not in your pocket. i try to keep things rational. do i need a $10,000 walker to mow my 3,500 sq ft properties? nope. do i need a dump truck with 8 wheels on it, to pull a trailer with a 36" and 48" mower? nope. i buy what i need, and only, what i need. don't compare my ideas to justmowit. i saw his pictures, he's making big money i do believe this, but he is another 7% man. granted, it's 7% of probably 2.5 million, but it's still, 7%.

I do agree with your philosophy on business, but as you mentioned in this post, some guys truly need the bigger equipment than others. Some guys truly need full size trucks. True, I could mow all my properties with my walk behind and not get a zero turn rider. I am sure my 18 horse Kawasaki gets a more favorable consumption rate than does my 25 horse Kohler in my Gravely. But the extra time, (probably more than double) it would take me to mow with my walk behind with my engine running, I would end up using more fuel than my Gravely and be less efficient.
Like I said, I do agree with you business sense for the most part. I laugh when I see these guys pulling the long rigs with three Z riders and as many walk binds with one or two guys in the vehicle. I just don’t see how that approach can be profitable.

Craig

DUSTYCEDAR
08-17-2005, 10:00 AM
bobby does have a tight grip on his local area which is great
he does have a point about not buying crap u dont need
but i love shinny crap it makes me happy

craigs lawncare
08-17-2005, 11:11 AM
sorry first time doing the pic thing. hopefully this works
Hahahahahaha :D
HEY!!! I used to buy those light weight weed eater straight shafts for my first few years of mowing. They were nice because they were so lite weight... easy on the body. But they were also pretty cheap and would only last me about 1 season. :D

Craig