PDA

View Full Version : look on the bright side

ajlandscaping
08-16-2005, 11:04 AM
with gas prices getting close to the 3 dollar range and still plannin on rising these prices could keep new lawn guys in your area from starting up because they don't want to pay for more gas then they already have to so they go find a different job which would give everyone who is in the industry more business and allow us to make more money because we are not getting any more competition in our area in the long run IF gas prices do go down to a decent price i think your businnes would have grown through the prices and have more yards to mow during the season.

i hear alot of guys here complaining about gas prices going up but this could be a good thing if you think about it. even homeowners won't like paying to fill there little push mowers up because thats gas money and time they could have used somewhere else.

i think this is a good thing with gas prices and keeping people from starting up in this business because around here i see alot of guys doing this as a part time job and in a couple years i hope to be doing this full time and the less competition the better.

awhile back i remember some one taking a poll or asking if business was better and alot of you guys said it was up alot more then last year well last year people didn't have to pay 2.80 a gallon maybe gas prices influenced that

just my thoughts
andrew

Tadams
08-16-2005, 01:52 PM
That's a good way to look at the gas increases and relating them to our industry in a positive way. T hadn't thought of it like that.

Itsgottobegreen
08-16-2005, 02:04 PM
What a postive look out on something that is so negative.

Scapegoat
08-16-2005, 02:23 PM
I totally agree. I think someone else stated something similar on another thread. The higher prices will drive out the "riff raff" and the strongest will survive. I know in my area people will cough up the extra cause all these old people live in deed restricted communities and HAVE to keep their yards well kept and many, if not most, can't do it themselves, at least not in this heat. So they will pay regardless of the price. And this year, in my county alone, there were over 2,000 new single family home starts. There is no threat to my business no matter how many LCO's there are around (alot). :)

I'm fortunate to have a very low overhead and being single with no family to support. So the gas price can go to $5.00 a gallon and it won't bother me. I price high enough that I won't have to add a fuel surcharge probably till it hits $3.50 or $4.00.

I don't mow as many yards as most (I do more landscape work), but I would like to expand the mowing side a little and I agree this could be a great time for me to expand as gas prices rise.

Always a silver lining :D

Tharrell
08-16-2005, 02:25 PM
That's a positive way to look at it that I hadn't thought about. I worry though that the high prices could tank our economy.