PDA

View Full Version : bite off your nose, to spite your face?

bobbygedd
08-16-2005, 11:56 AM
i have a group of homes i service, there are 6 in a row. it started with 1, the neighbors liked what they saw, and over time, i got all 6, and in fact have 2 others interested, but are waiting till next season so they can finish out thier contract with thier current guy. all are excellent payers, and i get top dollar for these accounts, which i nicknamed "harlem", because of the environment there, and the soil condition which requires the lco to be on his toes at all times. ok, like i said, all are good payers, except one. the "bad apple" at this point, will need to be cancelled, and most likely taken to court. in light of the situation, i've tried every civilized method to come to some agreement, but it isn't working. these neighbors are very friendly with eachother, and i fear if i use my usual means of collection, i will lose all 6, plus the 2 additional that will sign on next season. this amounts to well over $20,000 of gross income, and the accounts are very profitable. would you cancel the one, collect the debt, and take the chance of losing the other 7?

Howie's Lawn Care
08-16-2005, 12:02 PM
No way! Id on't believe this really happend at all. No one didn't pay. You're kidding, right? It's funny because he talk about being mean to the guy whos dinner you screwed up, then you ask for serious advice. If you treat him right, why would the other people care. If its just because he wouldn't pay, why would the others cancel? Just don't treat him the way you say you treat other customers. It doesn't really sound like a difficult situaution to me.

OrganicBob
08-16-2005, 12:03 PM
WORD! :waving:

OrganicBob
08-16-2005, 12:04 PM
I bit your nose off and threw it n the grill, but you blew grass clippings all over it so I kicked your a$$

chimmygew
08-16-2005, 12:32 PM
If you are on good terms with the others, try to collect. Then, explain the situation to them and tell them that you don't want this to damage your relationship with them. Just let them know he won't pay his bill. Unlike them.

DUSTYCEDAR
08-16-2005, 12:38 PM
u should pull up at dinner time and break out the shovel
make a example of the dead beat
then yell to the others watching see what happens when u dont pay payup

Jcs Lawn and Landscape
08-16-2005, 12:46 PM
i dont even think bobbygedd is a landscaper if he has all this so called work he wouldnt be on here all the time telling bs stories

daveintoledo
08-16-2005, 01:00 PM
i dont even think bobbygedd is a landscaper if he has all this so called work he wouldnt be on here all the time telling bs stories

why dont you go back and read some old posts, then you might get it...

your a 16 year old child, you should be more careful of who you offend , your pretty new and young to be judging anyone, bobby has some pecular post , but he is legit, makes good money and hidden in his post is usually some good information.

im not belittling your for your age, its great that you have direction and know what you want to do when you grow up...

Tadams
08-16-2005, 01:04 PM
If you are on good terms with the others, try to collect. Then, explain the situation to them and tell them that you don't want this to damage your relationship with them. Just let them know he won't pay his bill. Unlike them.

I would think this one through if I were you. If you tell the other people that he is a late payer then he might sue YOU for slander or defamation of character. Most people on here would probably like to see that happen to you but I don't really care one way or the other. I think your stories are very amusing, kinda like ...... fairytales.

olderthandirt
08-16-2005, 01:37 PM
i have a group of homes i service, there are 6 in a row. it started with 1, the neighbors liked what they saw, and over time, i got all 6, and in fact have 2 others interested, but are waiting till next season so they can finish out thier contract with thier current guy. all are excellent payers, and i get top dollar for these accounts, which i nicknamed "harlem", because of the environment there, and the soil condition which requires the lco to be on his toes at all times. ok, like i said, all are good payers, except one. the "bad apple" at this point, will need to be cancelled, and most likely taken to court. in light of the situation, i've tried every civilized method to come to some agreement, but it isn't working. these neighbors are very friendly with eachother, and i fear if i use my usual means of collection, i will lose all 6, plus the 2 additional that will sign on next season. this amounts to well over $20,000 of gross income, and the accounts are very profitable. would you cancel the one, collect the debt, and take the chance of losing the other 7?
Regions and circumstances are differnt but I would just quit cutting ALL of them. When they call to inquire why tell them that you can not afford to show up and mow 5 of the 6. Explain why they get such a great rate etc. Then let it slip that when so & so account is paid you will be able to continue taking great care of there props at such an extremly affordable rate.
If your taking the chance that you might lose them anyway why not let the good customers do the dirty work for you and hassle the non paying customer, heck they may decide to pay a little extra each to make up for your loss income from the non payer. OR you could cut it for free to keep the other 5. But I know I could never do that.

daveintoledo
08-16-2005, 01:44 PM
Regions and circumstances are differnt but I would just quit cutting ALL of them. When they call to inquire why tell them that you can not afford to show up and mow 5 of the 6. Explain why they get such a great rate etc. Then let it slip that when so & so account is paid you will be able to continue taking great care of there props at such an extremly affordable rate.
If your taking the chance that you might lose them anyway why not let the good customers do the dirty work for you and hassle the non paying customer, heck they may decide to pay a little extra each to make up for your loss income from the non payer. OR you could cut it for free to keep the other 5. But I know I could never do that.

very good sir..... :)

Remsen1
08-16-2005, 01:44 PM
I go by how high the balance was. If the account is 1-2 mows behind which is only as far as I let them get, discontinue mowing, with notice, until I get payment. Treat respectfully so as not to damage the other accounts. If they are all friends with each other you may only have to let one person (the most talkitive one) know "discreetly" what the situation is and the word will spread and you shouldn't have to worry about losing the others.

CuttingCrew
08-16-2005, 03:07 PM
Cut his butt loose as soon as possible. The service you provide is expensive, Bobby. Every day you keep him is costing you cash. (and I know how much you love cash)
Chances are, the neighbors around him are already aware of his questionable character if they talk to each other at all and will not be surprised when you stop servicing his property.

Mike

Forest
08-16-2005, 04:02 PM
I'd bust out my Ak and waste the whole block :gunsfirin , then rent a bulldozer to take out all the houses so that I can start building my new shop!....JK.

I personally would just be polite and stop service on the property in question and ride out the storm. I have a hard time believing you'll loose the rest of them, but I could be wrong. Good luck.

dishboy
08-16-2005, 04:25 PM

Quit all of them because of one. Real rational.......... if you are a twelve year old girl!

olderthandirt
08-16-2005, 04:36 PM
Quit all of them because of one. Real rational.......... if you are a twelve year old girl!
Guess your more hard up for work than a 12 year old girl then :laugh: :laugh:

Envy Lawn Service
08-16-2005, 05:59 PM
Boy, now that's sort of a sticky situation.

I know how to handle it to keep the rest if dumping one is a must.
But I wouldn't want to take that approach unless there was just no other way....
Because the conservation methods are unprofessional in my opinion....

yrdandgardenhandyman
08-16-2005, 06:05 PM
u should pull up at dinner time and break out the shovel
make a example of the dead beat
then yell to the others watching see what happens when u dont pay payup

And, let them know that if they cancel, there is more of the same for them. Not one will dare to cancel in the face of Bobby Gedd, super LCO, and his mighty shovel and 6th grade edumication. :cool2:

arborist-28
08-16-2005, 06:25 PM
I would have to cancel the account and take the steps you mentioned because who's to say the others won't find out that the guy isn't paying and decide hell if he's not paying then why should I .. then insead of losing the other 7 your cutting the 5 for free ... c

dvmcmrhp52
08-16-2005, 06:46 PM
Most people are a little smarter than folks give credit for. Simply stop cutting that one lawn. The neighbors will figure out for themselves why it hasn't been cut or they will ask you, in which case you might just let it slip why the lawn hasn't been bobbygedd manicured..............

Turfdude
08-16-2005, 06:50 PM
Bob,
Keep your good relationships going w/ the other 5 & potential 2. Stop service & take whatever measures are necessary to collect your debt, then decide if it is still worth working fore the one. I can't understand why you could possibly be out since you get paid b4 you provide service w/ your payment plan. Can't you cancel & keep the pre-paid fert, and still cokme out ahead??
Anyway, I lost one long time client this year (served them for 20 or 21 years). They said I never did their clean-up last fall (did it themselves) The bill was for a measily $100 because we hauled their brush, cleaned up their curbside leaf pile & did a quick blow thru of their beds. I re-signed the other 4 props on the block and noone questioned why I lost the one. I think they all knew. I had made several calls to the former client over the winter and even spoke to her this spring. I told the woman that I deserved a lot more for 20 or so years of very professional reliable service. I also told her that she was a very rude & inconsiderate *****. Always take the high road!!

bobbygedd
08-16-2005, 07:02 PM
turfgirl, btw, the zoo called, they are missing thier girraffe, please report back immediately. as far as "me being out." i'm not. these clients are on the flat monthly payment deal, which means i'm always about 2 months ahead of them. she defaulted before the very first payment was due. her basement was flooded, from a blow up water heater, it cost her thousands out of pocket for a cleanup and replacement. she begged me to work with her. i agreed. but she defaulted on our arrangement, and despite several attempts to contact her, she will not respond. i was told by a neighbor that they are having financial problems. my suggestion was that they cut the lawn themselves. she did manage to send me almost $1,000, all late as per our agreement. to date i have provided roughly $1100 worth of service. i should have over $1400 of her money in the bank by now. if she was willing to contact me, and work out a payment plan, i'd bite, but, she won't return phonecalls, emails, nothing. at this point i want late fees dateing back to march 1st, and compounded monthly. if not for the fact that i had all her neighbors, she'd have been in court 4 months ago

Brianslawn
08-16-2005, 10:16 PM
was that the same one you blew grass all over their BBQ. no wonder they quit paying. im surprised you still mow. all youre genius biz plans, you should be a millionaire by now. payup

just walk up to the guy and hand him a biz card showing a fist squeezing blood out of a turnip. say youre here to collect by whatever means necessary!

jtrice11
08-17-2005, 01:13 PM

Treat him like you would any other customer and then find out if you'll lose the other 7. Then you'll have your answer.

Gr grass n Hi tides
08-17-2005, 02:39 PM

You're worrying too much about the one bad client. Just keep truckin' on the good accounts & go through usual collections on the bad one. People aren't going to care about the bad apple when they see you showing up on their properties steady & doing good work. I for one wouldn't go broadcasting about the bad apple. That's not professional. They might end up asking you about him. Then maybe a brief explanation would be good enough - "we've gone our separate ways........unfortunately he never paid me for my service which left me with no choice."

Rayray
08-18-2005, 10:26 AM
It looks as if they may have formed a union,,werent we just talking about unionizing a while back??

AboveTheCut
08-18-2005, 05:47 PM
Do not discuss these non-payers with your other customers. You could be in for a lot of legal trouble. I'm not sure about your state but here it's illegal and the non-payer can sue you and make your life miserable.

yrdandgardenhandyman
08-18-2005, 05:54 PM
Do not discuss these non-payers with your other customers. You could be in for a lot of legal trouble. I'm not sure about your state but here it's illegal and the non-payer can sue you and make your life miserable.

Same way here. A creditor is not allowed, by law, to discuss the debtors credit problems with anyone.

brucec32
08-20-2005, 09:02 AM
Remember the "dear abby" column? It turned out that many of the "letters" she received were simply made up so that it would allow her to bring up a topic she wanted to cover and discuss in her column. This technique has been used many places over the years as a way to stir discussion. Lawnsite needs to keep people coming back for more. They need their Dear Abby too.

From now on, you should start your replies to his threads with "Dear Bobby".

bobbygedd
08-20-2005, 03:00 PM
Remember the "dear abby" column? It turned out that many of the "letters" she received were simply made up so that it would allow her to bring up a topic she wanted to cover and discuss in her column. This technique has been used many places over the years as a way to stir discussion. Lawnsite needs to keep people coming back for more. They need their Dear Abby too.

From now on, you should start your replies to his threads with "Dear Bobby".
yea yea yea, you left georgia cus you couldn't make it, then florida was too rough for ya, so you took the midnight train back to the peach state. where u goin next? welp, i'll tell you girls what i did, i cut every lawn, except his the last couple weeks. he looks like the black sheep

cborden
08-20-2005, 09:31 PM
If your payment policy is in your contract, the other customers should understand and expect your actions.