PDA

View Full Version : Aerate before slit seeding?

CRUZMISL
08-16-2005, 12:00 PM
Hi,
I usually make 2 passes with the aerator every fall. I want to reseed to introduce a different type of KBG. I plan to use the Ryan slitseeder but wanted to know if it would be best to aerate first.

Thanks!
J.

br549oicu8
08-16-2005, 12:36 PM
I would do either or but not both.
The aeration turds will be a mess in a slit seeder and you could disturb the seed if you aerate after seeding directly.

Gators_Aerator
08-18-2005, 05:18 PM
I have heard to do both, but I agree the plugs would make a mess.

However they also provide a top dressing effect.

You may do both a fee days apart. Aerate first.

Killswitch
08-18-2005, 07:37 PM
Do both. And broadcast perennial rye as a kick in the pants.

Be generous with your seed and I always times three the rate plus lay down rye.

Criss cross your seeding into a diamond pattern as well.

Again I dont want to be rude but some of the things I hear here amaze me.

Maybe you guys just dont know or havent been doing this very long but you cant possibly hurt a lawn you're going to seed by aerifying first. Or mess up your results. They can only and will only improve.

br549oicu8
08-18-2005, 10:35 PM
If you read closely I noted not to aerate after seeding.. The machine will do damage there.
Experience?? Is 30 years combined commercial, residential and municipal experience enough??

TURFLORD
08-19-2005, 06:14 PM
Don't set the aerator to deep and you might get away with just that alone. Use fescue. IMO.

CRUZMISL
08-20-2005, 06:16 AM
Why fescue and not KBG? I was planning on using the Galaxy blend from Turfseed.

timturf
08-20-2005, 11:35 AM
suggestion for seed, we need more info on where you are located!

Use to double aerate, then silt seed on fairways ( cut at 1 inch), most of seed that germinate was in the aerification holes, so very little of the seed from silt seeder would actually make into the silts in the soil! but the slit seeder did a great job on breaking up the aerification plugs!

wonder why the seed never made into the slits?

CRUZMISL
08-20-2005, 01:07 PM
I am in the a suburb of Detroit Michigan. I don't have a lot of traffic on my grass and have an irrigation system since the water demands are high with KGB. Is the Galaxy blend a good choice?

J.

timturf
08-20-2005, 02:00 PM
Now live in c. va., the transition zone, but grew up and maintained turfgrass west of chicago, il.

home lawns in that part of country would need very little supplemental irrigation as a rule.

What grass, % of and varieties are in the galaxy blend?

what is the quality of existing turfgrass now?

CRUZMISL
08-20-2005, 02:43 PM
The website says it has Midnight, Brilliant and Blackstone. Apparently a recent label of Galaxy indicates the following,
Midnight II 39.67
Brilliant 29.27
Serene 28

Probably one of these combinations is what they're shipping.

J.

turfcobob
08-22-2005, 10:29 AM
I have been at this for 31 years this year and here is what I do.....

Aerate before you overseed...Make as many holes as you can...Holes are good they make an excellent germination location..seed/soil contact, hidden from the UV, birds and etc...

If you go in too soon after aeration (expecially depending on the type soil) you can really mess up your seeder. Wet gummy core will plug up the unit. Wait till the cores are dry enough to break up It may take a day or more depending on things such as wetness of the lawn. Note: A lawn has to be damp to wet for an aerator to work correctly and dry for a seeder to work correctly..kinda makes both at the same time difficult.

Do you want to plant a good lawn or just do it quick?

Plug the lawn good at least 12 holes per sq ft

Wait for the cores to dry

Seed the lawn going over the lawn at least twice with the seeder...Why...Accuracy of application is why...All seeders and I mean all of them lack accuracy of seed output.

Determine how much seed is going on the lawn

If it is 8 lbs per thousand, set the seeder as close as you can to 4 lbs per thousand.

Go across the lawn once measue your seed.

Re-set your seeder.. If you have used more than half the seed close it up a bit. Less than half open it up a bit. The second pass gives you accurate application of seed no matter the seeder..

Some one said use a diamond pattern..This will hide skips better than a square pattern and you can usually adjsut for slopes better with a diamond.

Seed across slopes not up or down...The water will wash seeds downhill faster if the slits are running that way. Forgot you are using a Ryan...You will not be seeding slopes. Been there done that and never again..

Turfcobob

CRUZMISL
08-22-2005, 11:40 AM
Thanks Bob. I can get my hands on a Bluebird overseeder. Is that a better unit? I only have one berm otherwise it's a pretty flat area.
Thanks,
J.

Runner
08-22-2005, 07:41 PM
I would certainly love to know what THEE most beneficial fepth of aeration is for overseeding. It just seems that normal depths, like those for beneficial aeration (2" or so) are too deep. Once the hole is that deep, there is just too much lack of light, especially after the seed washes down and gets uried a little bit. It seems that much of the seed just goes to waste because of this.