PDA

View Full Version : Seed

The mayor
08-16-2005, 06:31 PM
Who nowadays has a good price and quailty on lawn seed. It seems more expensive this year.

OrganicBob
08-16-2005, 06:32 PM
and poor quality! I can't tell you how many horror stories about bad seed I've heard this year. If anybody has the hook up, let us know!

muddstopper
08-16-2005, 11:46 PM
There was a lot of land took out of crop production the last few years. Seems the growers got together and decided the best way to make more money was to produce less seed. Then the weather turned bad and a lot of what was produced was of poorer quality and some was lost. This has resulted in doubleing of prices for popular seed varities. I was paying $18 per 50# bag last year and now it is up to $35. And thats buying by the ton. Turf grass has increased in price also but not as much as the plain fescue. I have also gotten bad seed. I bought one ton of contractors mix, 80/20 fescue/rye for tempseeding in a large development. The grass that came up looked more like it was 80% rye instead of fescue. I am just glad it was mostly temporary seeding that seed was used on.