PDA

View Full Version : I swapped mowers

Dashunde
08-16-2005, 06:45 PM
About three months ago I bought a new 2004 Gravely w/b (a 15hp 48" floating deck hydro w/ Prosteer controls).
At first I really liked the mower, it was easy to control (fun actually) and overall it was looking like a pretty good buy, then...
Then I started getting more and more accounts with very hilly yards and it soon became apparent that my mower was not going to get the job done in a professional manner. Don't get me wrong, on your average yard my Prosteer machine was great, but on hills it was horrible. With the control set-up it was very difficult to "man-handle" or use body weight to supplement traction. In short - it would easily climb a hill that it would skid all the way back down. It was simply dangerous on our many and steep hills. Prosteer is very nice on flat yards with a sulky... or on medium hills on foot.

So I called my dealer...
After some pleasant discussions they were willing to trade my (very low time) Prosteer machine + $500 for a 2005 1548 fixed deck hydro with pistol grips.
($100 msrp increase + $400 which is 10% of my Prosteer selling price. So they were giving me 90% of original price for the Prosteer)
Overall it was not a bad offer... but after some thought I found that I didn't want to have $4600 or so in a $4000'ish mower.

So I called Gravely...
I explained the issues I was having with the Prosteer machine to several people (I got passed around alittle) and in the end they agreed to cover the $400 difference. Bear in mind this is not something they will regularly do, but after speaking with the right people at length about some very valid problems associated with hillside operations they relented.

The point of this post is to let everyone know what a quality group the folks at Gravely are.
I presented them with the worst of all customer requests (new/different mower) and they handled everything very kindly. For that I would like to thank the four people I spoke with at Gravely and Roy at Bill's Service Center in O'Fallon, Mo.

I picked up my new mower today, a 1548 fixed deck hydro with pistol grips.
I brought it home, made some adjustments, oiled some control linkage points, installed double blades, my mulch kit and Velky and I went mowing.
I am thrilled to report that hills are no longer an issue, in fact this mower goes down them better than it goes up - which is fine by me. Gravely also moved the drive motors further out toward the edges of the deck and this has dramatically improved turning leverage and overall control/stability.
The new one even gives a better cut and stripes alot better, (maybe the doubles?). It also tracks much straighter for better looking stripes.
I am very happy with the new mower, and the new pistol grips are smooth and easy on the fingers.

It seems that Gravely is not a dominate force here on Lawnsite, people are routinely talking about Prolines, Exmarks, Bobcats and the rest.
Based on the performance of my new Gravely and my experience with the company I would urge all of you to give them a look when shopping for your new cutter.

promower
08-16-2005, 06:53 PM
Glad to hear everything worked out!

TClawn
08-16-2005, 07:16 PM
I have some bad news for you my friend, you are supposed to go SIDE TO SIDE ON HILLS if you mower is slipping downwards while mowing side to side, you would have a very hard to walking let alone riding.

for those kind of hills, it is possible to cut them, but it would be a good idea to have a two stroke motor.

ed2hess
08-16-2005, 07:33 PM
More news, going up big hills with velke could overheat the hydro, if the hills were so high a new WB couldn't pull them. And when you go side-to-side on steep hills think about the effect on oil pressure. The general concensus is that on steep hills only run with oil filter on low side.

Dashunde
08-16-2005, 07:40 PM
Both mowers pull my can up hills just fine, but the Prosteer simply had near-zero traction overall, but especially when nosing back down, it would just skid to the bottom.
The new pistol grip machine with with its wider track also turns MUCH better.

As a side note.. I'm not mowing anything that I have not watched Ferris' mow routinely. I mow the same territory, I needed the same performance and now I have it thanks to the kind folks at Gravely.

MOturkey
08-16-2005, 09:32 PM
When I had a pump go out on my Gravely 250Z this spring, the warranty had expired some 3 weeks earlier. My dealer called Gravely, and they replaced if at no charge. My dealer says they are also great to deal with from their standpoint as well. I've no doubt my next mower will be a Gravely as well.

Envy Lawn Service
08-16-2005, 10:13 PM
Kudos for Gravely I say...