PDA

View Full Version : mowing for HUD

i_plant_art
08-16-2005, 07:49 PM
Anyone here ever mow for HUD or any companies that manage HUD properties. We mow for them , and just today got screwed (well i think i did). Just wondering how anyone else experience has/is/was with them.

Thanks

65hoss
08-16-2005, 10:56 PM
Do a search on my name and HUD, you will find out about my horror stories with them.
NEVER AGAIN WOULD I EVER SUBJECT MYSELF AND MY WORKERS TO THAT!!!

SellPoint
08-16-2005, 11:14 PM
I generally no longer contract to HUD if I don't have to.

6'7 330
08-16-2005, 11:14 PM
I would not walk,I would run from anything HUD. We did HUD homes in Chicago,dope-dealing squatters would be in some of the homes, with pit bulls and rifles. Packing handguns and we were much-outgunned lol.

i_plant_art
08-16-2005, 11:37 PM
hoss- what areas of memphis did u do for HUD. i tried the searcxh and didnt find much of anything. Currently we are doing home for a property managment company that manages HUD homes. They are all vacant we just have to go up sign a book inside and mow the grass every other week. The areas arent too too bad, well we havent eperienced any problems where i am at.... (not yet knock on wood) im just curious to see who else is out there that has done work for them and what all happened.

Frontier-Lawn
08-17-2005, 12:09 AM
What about habit 4 humanity? are they good to mow for?

65hoss
08-17-2005, 05:05 AM
hoss- what areas of memphis did u do for HUD. i tried the searcxh and didnt find much of anything. Currently we are doing home for a property managment company that manages HUD homes. They are all vacant we just have to go up sign a book inside and mow the grass every other week. The areas arent too too bad, well we havent eperienced any problems where i am at.... (not yet knock on wood) im just curious to see who else is out there that has done work for them and what all happened.
If I am not mistaken, the property mgmt company is now different, but the way it works is still the same. Go inside and sign in, cut it every 2 weeks...etc. To make any money with those hud yards you need volumne and lots of it. You have to be in Raliegh, Frayser, nutbush, etc were the Hud houses are 2 to every street. You have to be doing 4-6 per hour based on the pathetic pricing. I had Bartlett, Cordova, Arlington, Lakeland, Germantown, and Collierville back then also, and they didn't have enough in them to pay for the fuel. There would be maybe 1 in each of those areas but the 15 miles between them would eat all hope of a profit up.
The way to make money with the Hud lawns is to have some old w/b mowers, and a few people. You must be in the worst parts of Memphis(1st and 2nd worst places in the country by all reports) doing extremely high volumne. Anything else will cost you money.

Oh, do they still use your money for free? Meaning you submit after the month end, and then they pay you the 15th of the following month after you submit? Meaning May 10th I submit the paperwork for April. They cut the check but hold it until June 15th so they collect the interest. Its June 18th before you collect the money for April. If you want your money faster(on time) they take 15% for early payment.

i_plant_art
08-17-2005, 11:12 AM
hoss- they seem to be pretty easy going on payment....their contract says we get paid within 30 days of them getting the invoice. they have been paying roughly within 20-30 days of me sending the invoice out...... like you said it does have to be a volume thing. the nice thing about it is that its not trim and edge unless uts over 4" no need to blow unless its all over..... right now they pay $30 per yard which aint bad considering the average yards takes us about 12-17 minutes. In a 10 hour work day we are doing 28-30 houses. Ive got 105 right now all of which are in Frazier and Raleigh. Next yard im gonna try and get the zips for cordova, collierville, and g'town and hopefully pick up some more work around those areas be people seeing us outr mowing. we do most of our there anyhow so it would hurt to add some more to the mix. I hate being in frazier, raleigh is not too too bad, it has its rough spots. It is rough though i carry when we go, 45on the left hip, 900,000 volt stun gun on the right, cell phone in the front, never enter a home alone, be prepared for anything.

65hoss
08-17-2005, 11:56 PM
The day I finally gave up on them I had to wear the S&W 45 on my hip and show the thugs across the street I had it. I had to stand them off while the guys cut. I decided right then it wasn't worth it any longer. They are paying better now than before. Good luck...

i_plant_art
08-19-2005, 12:47 AM
hey hoss what days do u cut out in the Gtown colliervegas areas?

plateau lawn care
08-19-2005, 09:37 AM
we mow for them everything is good so far. Like you say its not much money but one man can cut the ones we have in 20 min and its suppose to be all year round so that stands for a little.

65hoss
08-19-2005, 12:21 PM
hey hoss what days do u cut out in the Gtown colliervegas areas?
I don't. I quit working in those areas a few years ago. To much drive time. 90% of my business is in the Bartlett area now.

LawnBrother
08-19-2005, 02:17 PM
We mowed some hud homes last year, but I decided not to this year. Good money but not worth the trouble. Trouble meaning trash/debris in the yards, angry idiots with guns, and theives. If you decide to do it be careful, and lock everything up at all times. My advice would be not to mow in the ghetto, though. Too many things can go wrong.

i_plant_art
08-20-2005, 12:05 AM
I don't. I quit working in those areas a few years ago. To much drive time. 90% of my business is in the Bartlett area now.

ah ok just wondering i saw a truck like ur 250 i have seen in post b4 out the other day looked exactly like it out running a route thought it might have been you.