PDA

View Full Version : I tried mulch blades !

Drew Gemma
08-16-2005, 08:26 PM
Mulching blades just suck I don't see why you guys like em but if they work for you then good for you they just clogged my exmark all up and missed grass all the time. High lifts only for me!

Dashunde
08-16-2005, 08:31 PM
They are vastly superior when circling mulch beds all day.

jbell113
08-16-2005, 08:32 PM
I feel your pain bro It clogged mine up to and the cut was terrible plus I burned a up a belt...I just took mine off this past weekend....It mulched great up to july....so I think what im going to do is mulch in early spring up to july then take it off ....until october, then put it back on

Kilroy
08-16-2005, 09:25 PM
For example, the Operator's Manual for my 36" Viking Hydro reads,"If the mulching kit is installed, the highest quality cut can be obtained with 3 spacers between the blade and spindle (minimum is 1 for a good cut)."

Let's say I wanted to obtain the highest quality mulching cut (3 spacers between the blade and spindle) on my 36" hydro with the blades set at 3 1/4" cutting height. To do this, looking at Exmark's "Cutter Height Adjustment" chart in the manual for the 36" mower, I'd have to have the axle position set in the "D" position, the # of 1/2" spacers below the front casters would be 4, and the number of 3/16" spacers below the front casters would be 0. If I wanted to change my blade height and still maintain this highest quality mulching cut of 3 spacers between the blade and spindle, I'd have to look at the chart to determine what the axle position should be for this new blade height (A,B,C,D,orE) and the number of 1/2" and 3/16" spacers that are supposed to be below the front casters for this new height.

I guess what I'm trying to say is both my 48" and 36" Viking hydros give great mulching cuts when setup according to the Exmark manual. And conversely, when they're not, they don't. You might want to check it out. HTH.

mcwlandscaping
08-16-2005, 09:36 PM
My eXmark is great with it on. Great cut and no clumps even in high grass. I wonder why.

Envy Lawn Service
08-16-2005, 10:32 PM
I don't care for the blades either. Not enough lift so they miss a lot. Limp, whispy or wide grass blades... forget it. They often get blown over instead of cut. I had problems with streaky stripes and mowhawk rows with them also. I guess they may do better on lower powered walkbehinds... but what I finally figured out was causing the streaky stripes and mowhawk rows is that the blades are too weak. They flex pretty easy, which was the culprit.

As for the July thing, to be fair about it, I'm betting your area is like mine this year. The crabgrass is coming on really strong right now and it's just hard to do anything with that stuff with an eXmark. It sticks and clogs and clumps because it is ultra sappy. The Tri-Vantage deck clogs up and pukes clumps like crazy.

lawnmaniac883
08-16-2005, 11:24 PM
If you have all the mulching baffles in place, then mulching blades should work well. The deck on my Gravely has never clogged up running mulching blades with baffles.

Envy Lawn Service
08-16-2005, 11:32 PM
Gravely probably has a better blade.

bushtrimmer
08-17-2005, 12:07 AM
Why u using mulch blades if high lifts are acceptable?
We only use mulching blades with baffles in place on dedicated mulching mowers for tight parking lots and the like.
If you want to really chew up the grass so it doesn't lay on top, try using gator blades away from the discharge and a high lift blade at the discharge to disperse the grass clippings well.

South Florida Lawns
08-17-2005, 12:17 AM
Never a problem on my Toro Z's. Just keep em sharp. Faster then bagging and no clumps or rows of grass. They just stink if you have to mow fields as they will require higher hp. If I had to mulch in thick grass, go with a mower with the smallest deck available and a big engine no less than 27 hp. This way the deck size and engine hp are in moderation.

iluvscag
08-17-2005, 12:36 AM
Gravely probably has a better blade.

Exactly right. :)

S man
08-17-2005, 12:59 AM
Hi lifts on snappers are bagging blades. They don't mulch well on 21" mowers. I've tried one but prefer the ninja mulching blade. Gator isn't great either.

kleankutslawn
08-17-2005, 01:05 AM
they skip alot of grass to me especially in bahia

Eclipse
08-17-2005, 01:20 AM
If you want to really chew up the grass so it doesn't lay on top, try using gator blades away from the discharge and a high lift blade at the discharge to disperse the grass clippings well.

Interesting :) I might have to give it a try.

Envy Lawn Service
08-17-2005, 01:54 AM
Exactly right. :)

Yup...

Now, once I had in my possesion some mulching blades that were literally PERFECT for the application I was using them in with a mulch kit. However, I have been unable to attain any more exactly like them.

But, I am still working on re-aquiring them. I just have to do some trial and error reasearch to see who actually manufactures them, or who did. I have kept my worn out specimens lying around and currently I have a pretty good lead...

So if it pans out, I'll let eXmark users know because I know for a fact they will fit the 48" and 52" decks.

Envy Lawn Service
08-17-2005, 01:57 AM
they skip alot of grass to me especially in bahia

In my experience, eXmarks just skip a lot of stalky stuff period.
Especially the 52" HP... rather you are side discharging or mulching.