PDA

View Full Version : Question on pole saws.

QualityLawnCare4u
08-16-2005, 11:11 PM
Today I encountered some rather large shrubs that my long shaft echo trimmers could not cut. I was standing on a ladder reaching as far as I could and quickly saw they would not work. What do you folks use on these kinds of bushes? I thought about trying a pole saw but I have never had a use for one until now. I cant use a chainsaw because they are to tall for me to reach safely. The clint wanted them cut down to about 8 feet and they are over 18 feet right now and about 6 feet wide. Will a pole saw do the trick and what is a good one. Im sorta shying away from echo since the last 2 new pieces of equipment have not been real good. BTW, hot days are NOT a good time for this kind of work, having to do trimming after about 6:30 PM or so, and its still over 90 then.

lawnmaniac883
08-16-2005, 11:18 PM
Yes, if the branches are too large for a pruner's teeth, then a pole saw will work wonders. The ht 101 by Stihl is nice for cutting branches/limbs and will work well for the application you have listed. A little pricey but, it is a versatile piece of equipment.

KLBCCTALLY1
08-17-2005, 12:26 AM
Want the best for that and cheaper than a gas unit. Get the best pruner available. Go to Silky Store and try a Silky Saw. I bought a 20' Hayate and it cuts like 8" thick branches in seconds. Heavy duty with a lifetime warranty. I highly recommend a Silky. Mine was $260- I think but cheaper than $675-. Good luck.

QualityLawnCare4u
08-17-2005, 12:40 AM
Want the best for that and cheaper than a gas unit. Get the best pruner available. Go to Silky Store and try a Silky Saw. I bought a 20' Hayate and it cuts like 8" thick branches in seconds. Heavy duty with a lifetime warranty. I highly recommend a Silky. Mine was $260- I think but cheaper than $675-. Good luck.

A silky saw? I cant say Ive ever heard of one of them and probably no dealer in my area has one but am curious. I like Stihl products but REFUSE to buy from the rude azzh-- dealer we have here.

stumper1620
08-17-2005, 09:04 AM
A silky saw? I cant say Ive ever heard of one of them and probably no dealer in my area has one but am curious. I like Stihl products but REFUSE to buy from the rude azzh-- dealer we have here.
I have an echo and I've been very happy with it, I recommend since the initial outlay of cash is high just to get a pole prunner, spend the extra and get the adjustable length pole, mine is solid with a 3 foot extension, I really wish it were the extendible pole. that is my only regret about it. has plenty of power, and cuts really impressive. :D

justanotherlawnguy
08-20-2005, 02:23 AM
I've got an echo ppt-260. It is the bomb!!!!!!!!It cranks up better than my trimmer, edger, or blower. Doesn't matter how long it goes between uses, it always fires up.
It was expensive, like $550 or something. I got it last year and it has been paid for many times over again.
Makes trimming palm trees a dream.
It is a great way to pick up a ton of side work also. I have picked up countless jobs because someone saw me trimming palm trees and they asked to have thiers done...
Definately get one, you'll never look back. It happens to be my favorite piece of equipment...

QualityLawnCare4u
08-20-2005, 02:26 AM
Thanks for the replies, will look into the different models.