PDA

View Full Version : Blowers & truck loader vs Lawnmower

willretire@40
08-17-2005, 08:53 AM
I would like to know which method is better for leaf removal. 1) Blower and truck loader 2) Run over leaves 3-4 times with mower then bag with mower. It seems like #2 would be better b.c no addition equipment is needed. You only have to use what u use in the summer for mowing. Why is one way better then the other. Anyone that has tried both please let us all know which one is better and why.

willretire@40
08-17-2005, 01:39 PM
bump back to top.

KathysLGC
08-17-2005, 02:13 PM
It all depends on the lawn. If the lawn is flat and the grass was cut a bit shorter before the leaves fell I would say the blower/truck loader will be faster.
Sometimes going over the leave 3-4 times makes it harder for the mower to pick up. Look at the time it would take you to go over and over the lawn, then go over again bagging which will need to be dumped (depending on size) in the woods/ your truck, etc.
If the lawn has a lot of hills then the mower might be better but bagging on the first or second pass.

In this area you can't mulch.

willretire@40
08-17-2005, 03:26 PM
a little more information from my area. Yards are about 1/4 acre or less and it is flat here.

Shuter
08-17-2005, 03:29 PM
Leaf loader is much better. Then mow one last time after clean-up to pick-up any misc. debris. You are correct that extra equipment is needed, but you need the right tools to get the job done.

freddyc
08-17-2005, 04:13 PM
It all depends on the lawn. If the lawn is flat and the grass was cut a bit shorter before the leaves fell I would say the blower/truck loader will be faster.
Sometimes going over the leave 3-4 times makes it harder for the mower to pick up. Look at the time it would take you to go over and over the lawn, then go over again bagging which will need to be dumped (depending on size) in the woods/ your truck, etc.
If the lawn has a lot of hills then the mower might be better but bagging on the first or second pass.

In this area you can't mulch.

In your area you can't mulch...... how come??

Metro Lawn
08-17-2005, 07:42 PM
We mow the lawns with vac equipped mowers 1 time. Haul the clippings and leaves out to the truck where they are blown into the box with a truck loader. Fast and effective.

GrassFearsMe
08-17-2005, 08:46 PM
same as metro use my walkers to pick up the leaves and dump them at the leaf loader. blowers and or tarp to leaf loader, but i hate absolutely hate the look of chopped up leaves in the lawns like a walkbehind or ztr would do.

willretire@40
09-27-2005, 08:21 AM
anyone else have a opinion.

impactlandscaping
09-27-2005, 10:10 AM
We use the GGs on the Standers on weekly leaf accounts, until the majority of the Maples and Oaks start to get heavy around the end of October. Then, we go to bi weekly visits for residential and one minor and one major cleanup for commercials around the first week and third week of November. That's when we use blowers and the truck loader. Then, we do about the same as Metro and others..we clear them off, and have a second truck with the loader come vac up all the piles from the first 2 man crew.

Runner
09-27-2005, 10:48 AM
If you're doing 1/4 acre lots, you're not accumulating enough debris (per stop) to even justify a loader. You can have tarps hoisted up in faster time. Also, in tighter areas, blowers don't work as well as just vacuuming it with mowers. Also, you always get it a little cleaner with mowers than what you do with blowers.

lawncuttinfoo
09-27-2005, 11:35 AM
If you're doing 1/4 acre lots, you're not accumulating enough debris (per stop) to even justify a loader. You can have tarps hoisted up in faster time. Also, in tighter areas, blowers don't work as well as just vacuuming it with mowers. Also, you always get it a little cleaner with mowers than what you do with blowers.

What are you using? With my machines I get a much cleaner look with blowers than mowers. I can blow every single leaf to a tarp while my trac vac equipped mower leaves the lawn a shade of brown from the mulch not sucked up by the vac also matting down much of the grass killing it.

Lawns that I have used the vac on typically take 1.5 months longer to green up in the spring because of all the matted grass.

willretire@40
09-27-2005, 11:47 AM
I am trying to determine if i should even invest in all it takes to do leaves using blower and truck loader and dump trailer. I am looking at a min of $7000 to get started. Billygoat 10hp blower $889 6x10 dump trailer $3500 and 16hp lesco truck loader with swing mount $2500 and this is all before tax and building a leaf box. Is it worth it? I know i can make money doing leaves but would it be better to use mowers because i already have them just need to buy bag catcher.

Howard Roark
09-27-2005, 12:03 PM
Does anyone just mulch leaves up and leave the clippings on the lawn, not bagging anything?

Toro 21 prolines make leaves not existent with a few passes. Or is this bad for the lawns?

dlandscaping
09-27-2005, 06:50 PM
Does anyone just mulch leaves up and leave the clippings on the lawn, not bagging anything?

Toro 21 prolines make leaves not existent with a few passes. Or is this bad for the lawns?
If its oak leaves, its bad because they are acidic, but as long as the leaves dont build up a "thatch" layer because there are too many, it is fine.

LB1234
09-28-2005, 02:36 PM
People will disagree...but hey everyone is entitled to their opinion

Blowing the leaves off first and then mowing will make the lawn look much better than just running them over and over with a mulcher.

M RASCOE&SONS
10-21-2005, 08:53 PM
i prefer truck and leafloader(billygoat proser 16hp) and some echo backpacks.you have to have the tools to do the job,it starts out a big investment but it will payoff.

Darryl G
10-22-2005, 10:41 PM
I mostly use my mowers and blowers for leaf cleanup. I can just blow the leaves to the woods or dump on-site on most properties. For those that I have to haul them away, I'll grind the leaves up a little but no more than coin-sized or they don't pick up well. I don't like the grind-to-dust method. For a few accounts that get a lot of leaves at the curb, I sub out a vac truck.

DAVELAWN
10-23-2005, 07:08 AM
Blow out beds, either push to curb where we vac if the leaves are heavy, or mow and bag them up with the gators.

jtkplc
10-23-2005, 10:38 AM
I use gators on my 260Z and run over the leaves until the volume is greatly reduced. then i use my bagger to take them to the truck and haul them off. this year i bought a load handler to unload the leaves from the back of the truck very quickly. we'll see how it works. this is also the first year i will be able to use my leaf gobbler for my walkbehind to get the leaves up. in the past, the only bagger i've had is on my push mower. I will also use my blower first thing to get the leaves out of corners and beds into the lawn where they can be mulched. I don't have any problem with the leaves staying behind and looking unsightly in the grass. this method works well for me.

Future LCO
10-23-2005, 11:09 AM
We use backpack blowers and blow leaves out of corners, flowerbeds, curbs, around trees. Pretty much move everything into the biggest section of turf we can. Then mow once or twice, no more with a side discharge. then go over with a bagger mower, in our case, a walker. reduces clipping by 50% by mowing first with a s/d. then we just dump on a tarp and put in back of a dump bed truck.

cantoo
10-25-2005, 07:19 PM
Walker, Blowers and a couple of leaf loaders. Some of you guys need to consider used equipment for these part time or short lived jobs. New isn't always the best way unless you don't know what a wrench is.