PDA

View Full Version : Stripping

Meg-Mo
08-17-2005, 12:08 PM
This picture is of a lawn mowed 4 days ago with Meg-Mo's on a Lesco 48". We don't need stripping kits.

craigs lawncare
08-17-2005, 12:32 PM
This picture is of a lawn mowed 4 days ago with Meg-Mo's on a Lesco 48". We don't need stripping kits.
Looks nice.
How about a picture that shows off the strips better. One that directly faces the strips.
Are you saying that one does not need a stripe kit if you have these blades?
How about a before and after shot that shows how the mower mows with and with-out the Meg Mo's.
I would personally attribute nice stripes to the deck more than blades.

Craig

DLCS
08-17-2005, 01:38 PM
Looks nice.
How about a picture that shows off the strips better. One that directly faces the strips.
Are you saying that one does not need a stripe kit if you have these blades?
How about a before and after shot that shows how the mower mows with and with-out the Meg Mo's.
I would personally attribute nice stripes to the deck more than blades.

Craig

Deck construction and deck pitch is what makes stripes. Most mowers will stripe if set up correctly. My JD's stripe nice with stock highlifts.

KathysLGC
08-17-2005, 01:49 PM
Exmark WB's comes stock with a stripe kit. Doesn't Lesco do the same?

eshreve1234
08-17-2005, 02:57 PM
Meg-Mos improved the striping on my Deere. IMO they are worth the $$.

DaveRave07
08-17-2005, 03:01 PM

You may not need a stripping kit - we will save those for the employees of gentlemen's clubs across America. However, you might want to try out a striping kit.

Just busting your chops.

hillndale
08-17-2005, 03:10 PM
You may not need a stripping kit - we will save those for the employees of gentlemen's clubs across America. However, you might want to try out a striping kit.

Just busting your chops.

Yea! If you're gonna be stripping on lawns, go for it, no one will even notice the striping. :D

lawnworker
08-17-2005, 03:50 PM
Yea! If you're gonna be stripping on lawns, go for it, no one will even notice the striping. :D

I am glad someone pointed out the difference between stripping and striping. :)

naturescape
08-17-2005, 04:09 PM
Well, you all have seen my comments on megmos.

I'll stick with double blades and the Proslide -- I'd say these stripes of mine look a tad better. :)

firstclasslawncareandplow
08-17-2005, 04:11 PM
I did this at my parents house with my Exmark 60" lazer Z. A couple notes: This was SINGLE CUT!, This was cut in a different direction than last week. I bought the kit from exmark so dont think that i just cut in the same way every week. I works well, the customers love it, and it is truely worth the $250

any questions about it please feel free the drop me a email: Jonalke12@yahoo.com

iluvscag
08-17-2005, 04:40 PM
I do not need expensive meg-mos to stripe. :)

08-17-2005, 04:44 PM
You sure talk a ton, now lets see some pics of how great your mower and your work are. SHOW me that scags stripe well. I have to see to believe.

naturescape
08-17-2005, 04:47 PM
You sure talk a ton, now lets see some pics of how great your mower and your work are. SHOW me that scags stripe well. I have to see to believe.

Scags do stripe well. One of the better stock striping mowers, along with Bunton/Bobcat.

08-17-2005, 06:38 PM
I dont doubt that they do, but I just get sick of the people that are so incredebly brand loyal that they come on here and say "my .... is the best" and thats all. Tell me the features, show me some pics, explain new ideas. I own all exmarks and have been very happy with them, but I'm not closed to new ideas.

Just a side note, my neighbor has a Bobcat that is nearly identical to my Lazer, and they both stripe about the same stock and they both cut about the same.

Steppenwolf
08-17-2005, 07:25 PM
Firstclass, I don't believe ilove scag said anything against any other brand it was just that he was happy as a clam with his set up and put a smiley at the end.Brand loyal, maybe, so what.I don't care.

nobagger
08-17-2005, 07:29 PM
I just put on a set of BigLeagueLawns 33" stripping roller kit and holy sh*@ what a difference in stripes! I was using a home made kit from angle iron and chain it did ok but the chains got stuck in the lift gate often, or I had to back off the trailer at mach 2 so they didn't. But this stripping kit does an incredibale job!

lawnmaniac883
08-17-2005, 08:53 PM
Firstclass, nice lookin stripes there dude.

PCUTSLAWNCARE
08-17-2005, 09:48 PM
what is double blades everyone keeps talking about

Runner
08-17-2005, 09:57 PM
what is double blades everyone keeps talking about

Do a search...Put in the term and you will have a entire night's (AND day) worth of reading.

topsites
08-17-2005, 10:02 PM

That's what I thought this was about, and I am sorely dissapointed to see no stripping after all.

TURF DOCTOR
08-17-2005, 10:10 PM
Scags do strip well, you don't need to buy the striping kit local lco here run exmark they strip good also.

iluvscag
08-17-2005, 10:21 PM
Blah Blah Blah brand loyal. You know what I am a nice guy and I don't think mine is the best all that I'm saying is I don't need Meg-Mos to stripe. I do like other brands and I am not saying mine is best. Is it my fault my mower stripes good? :rolleyes:

iluvscag
08-17-2005, 10:24 PM
1.You go buy me a digital camera. I am to poor to buy one since I always buy from "One Brand" Since I am a "Brand Loyal" type of guy and you nothing about me. 2. Features, I think you can do this yourself. 3.New Ideas, Brand Loyal guys dont like to share there ideas with a#@holes. :)

Envy Lawn Service
08-17-2005, 10:51 PM
Different mowers stripe differently "stock" for different reasons.
No one really knows what makes a mower stripe well in stock form.

Therefore, Meg-Mow blades may make one mower stripe well and do nothing for another.

By the way, Lesco mowers already stripe in stock form because they come stock with a striping kit.

eshreve1234
08-22-2005, 04:49 PM
If the Scag stripes so well, why is there a mud flap hanging off the back of it in your avatar?

John Gamba
08-22-2005, 04:58 PM
Lazer 60"______________________

Tonyr
08-22-2005, 05:18 PM
Hey John ol' mate, ya know riding the ol' eXmark accross a driveway to set straight lines is cheating don't ya?

Now, if ya real gooood you'd stop, stripe the first section, then go around the drive way, and restart the stripes and git em straight...

It's ok, just lookin' out for ya mate! :waving: :p :p :p :p

Just to add something fairdinkum, over 'ere our grasses don't stripe well, but anything stripes with a rear discharge deck, no need for a striping kit!
true! :cool2:

John Gamba
08-22-2005, 05:23 PM
Hey John ol' mate, ya know riding the ol' eXmark accross a driveway to set straight lines is cheating don't ya?

Now, if ya real gooood you'd stop, stripe the first section, then go around the drive way, and restart the stripes and git em straight...

It's ok, just lookin' out for ya mate! :waving: :p :p :p :p

Just to add something fairdinkum, over 'ere our grasses don't stripe well, but anything stripes with a rear discharge deck, no need for a striping kit!
true! :cool2:

Thanks mate!! i'll think about it :laugh: :p

Tonyr
08-22-2005, 05:37 PM
:D :D :D :D :D

mate, I'm here to help you poor blokes running those glorified home owner mowers....like who'd put a white feul tank on a commercial machine LOL! :dizzy:

Look, ya gota get more professional before you can come down under and see the real pros at work ya know! :rolleyes: :p :p

Ahh just takin' the pizz mate.... :waving:

Spose for an exmark, those stripes are ok-ish, if I had the time I'd show ya really how it's done on a real mower, but I'm just too busy right now! :sleeping: :sleeping:

just kiddin' John! the stripes are fantastic! heck, we don't even have grass here as green as that! :blush:

John Gamba
08-22-2005, 07:29 PM
:D :D :D :D :D

mate, I'm here to help you poor blokes running those glorified home owner mowers....like who'd put a white feul tank on a commercial machine LOL! :dizzy:

Look, ya gota get more professional before you can come down under and see the real pros at work ya know! :rolleyes: :p :p

Ahh just takin' the pizz mate.... :waving:

Spose for an exmark, those stripes are ok-ish, if I had the time I'd show ya really how it's done on a real mower, but I'm just too busy right now! :sleeping: :sleeping:

just kiddin' John! the stripes are fantastic! heck, we don't even have grass here as green as that! :blush:

Thats ok Mate!!! I like your new mower :cool2:

John

John Gamba
08-22-2005, 08:35 PM
Thats ok Mate!!! I like your new mower :cool2:

John

Mate ive seen your type of grass :D I'm glad you like your mower :cool2:

John

milo
08-22-2005, 10:07 PM
hi wow some of you guys really make nice strips... how in the world can i get my mower to strip like this???? some people told me to buy a striping kit. and some told me to get a truck mud flap and strap it behind my deck or behind the mower.. PLEASE HELP. THESE STRIPS LOOK AWESOME. THANK YOU.. i have a exmark zhp 44 inch and yazoo 61 inch. and both dont do no striping in stock form.. also any special blades? HELP.. :help:

John Gamba
08-23-2005, 06:19 AM
hi wow some of you guys really make nice strips... how in the world can i get my mower to strip like this???? some people told me to buy a striping kit. and some told me to get a truck mud flap and strap it behind my deck or behind the mower.. PLEASE HELP. THESE STRIPS LOOK AWESOME. THANK YOU.. i have a exmark zhp 44 inch and yazoo 61 inch. and both dont do no striping in stock form.. also any special blades? HELP.. :help:

See if you can put the roller on the Exmark.

John

mcwlandscaping
08-23-2005, 09:04 AM
If you can't get the roller for the exmark and/or yazoo doesn't offer one, then try www.bigleaguelawns.com. Those have gotten some high ratings on this site. If all goes well, i am probably getting one for my exmark in a couple of weeks, Good Luck!

geogunn
08-23-2005, 11:39 AM
Exmark WB's comes stock with a stripe kit. Doesn't Lesco do the same?

sir--exmark WB's come with a stripe kit? really? :confused:

and I have a LESCO that will stripe as well or better than any mower out there that isn't dragging something to make stripes.

GEO

KathysLGC
10-04-2005, 03:07 PM
sir--exmark WB's come with a stripe kit? really? :confused:

and I have a LESCO that will stripe as well or better than any mower out there that isn't dragging something to make stripes.

GEO

Yes they do. It's the rubber flap behind the deck. To me a stripe kit is anything added to a mower to bend the grass down after cutting. Rubber flap/ chains/ roller...

Appalachian landscape
10-04-2005, 06:27 PM
that rubber flap is to keep debris from flying back at the operator.

KathysLGC
10-04-2005, 06:41 PM
It's a side discharge deck......

wowlawncare
10-04-2005, 07:32 PM
I have run dixies my whole life. Ive tried them with many stripe applications. The chains that dixie offers wrok ok if you hook all the chains togather and drad them then so they dont bounce around as much. Ive tried the mudflap too. You really need to put some weight on the flap to make it work good. But I recently bought a big league lawn rooler. This thing is amazing. Best striping ive ever done. I run X baldes on my dixies. Which stripe great stock but no where near the scags or exmarks in my town. But the big league lawn striper puts my dixies right up there in the league with them. I can't take a word away from scag or exmark. They are bolth amazing machines. and the exmark rooler lays some crazy stripes in about any grass that you mow. But the big league lawn rooler striper will bolt to many mower applacations and is only around 200$ as apposed to the exmarks which is 250$.

Soupy
10-05-2005, 02:58 AM
You guys running the bigleague. Do you have a problem on ditches or any other areas were the roller might get hung up. I looked at that roller a couple years ago and it does look nice but I was concerned about it getting hung up.

Here is a picture of stripes made by my old Dixie Chopper with homemade chain kit. But since I switched to Hustler I have not bothered making a kit for it. It stripes nice, but not as good as everyone showing with stripe kits. I just don't want something thats going to get in the way because a large percentage of my lawns are laid out were I don't bother laying perfect stripes. I might consider springing for the bigleague if it's not going to slow me down on small lawns with ditches or other obstacles.

jasonnau
10-05-2005, 07:29 AM

Just busting your chops.
What you really need for a stripping kit is : a pair of speedos, some kind of construction worker/ indian/ village people outfit, and at least one woman.

jasonnau
10-05-2005, 07:33 AM
I did this at my parents house with my Exmark 60" lazer Z. A couple notes: This was SINGLE CUT!, This was cut in a different direction than last week. I bought the kit from exmark so dont think that i just cut in the same way every week. I works well, the customers love it, and it is truely worth the $250

any questions about it please feel free the drop me a email: Jonalke12@yahoo.com
I've been kicking around getting a striping kit for my exmark tracer. I'd say those stripes look a little bit better than mine. My dealer said that I could take a piece of heavy duty rubber "something like a mud flap material" and replace the flap behind the deck. I think I may get the striping kit to. Next year.

naturescape
10-05-2005, 08:27 AM
You guys running the bigleague. Do you have a problem on ditches or any other areas were the roller might get hung up. I looked at that roller a couple years ago and it does look nice but I was concerned about it getting hung up.

Here is a picture of stripes made by my old Dixie Chopper with homemade chain kit. But since I switched to Hustler I have not bothered making a kit for it. It stripes nice, but not as good as everyone showing with stripe kits. I just don't want something thats going to get in the way because a large percentage of my lawns are laid out were I don't bother laying perfect stripes. I might consider springing for the bigleague if it's not going to slow me down on small lawns with ditches or other obstacles.

I ordered two Big League rollers (the smaller and larger ones) for my ExM 48 TT. They both fell apart within weeks (the brackets).

wowlawncare
10-05-2005, 01:31 PM
Ive talked to the owner of bigleaguelawn roolers. And he told me the proper mounting for a ZTR. You have to mount them as close to as the wheels as possible. If you hang them way off the back they wont spin in a stationary position, when they are mounting way behind the mower they swing around and not spin. As for the brackets i modified mine on my dixie chopper. I took a spring and made it spring loaded. Helps keep it on the ground harder and makes it have some give. They also have a one year warantie.

Appalachian landscape
10-05-2005, 03:05 PM
It's a side discharge deck......

it's a safety feature.

KathysLGC
10-05-2005, 03:09 PM
So what's to stop something from flying out in front of the deck or to the left?

Appalachian landscape
10-05-2005, 03:23 PM
who cares...I won't be standing there.

KathysLGC
10-05-2005, 03:39 PM
LOL so it's a stripe kit.....

TClawn
10-05-2005, 03:57 PM
you know, if megmo used a lesco Z, they come with a built in striping kit. the megmos would have nothing to do with it then.

10-05-2005, 04:02 PM
Toward the beginning of this thread i put a pic of my parents house with nice straight lines. Well, that got kinda boring so I had some fun today! Here ya go guys.

geogunn
10-05-2005, 04:13 PM
Yes they do. It's the rubber flap behind the deck. To me a stripe kit is anything added to a mower to bend the grass down after cutting. Rubber flap/ chains/ roller...

well you'd be wrong in the case of the little rubber flap that hangs between the rear wheels of the exmark wb's cause that aint no stripe kit I don't care what you think it is.

GEO

10-05-2005, 04:17 PM
Guys lets not fight now.....its both!!!! its primary function is to protect the operator should something shoot out the back! ( I HAVE seen things come back out the front, so i am sure they would come out the back too)...but it also does cause the mower to stripe SOME.......but not like a stripe kit

geogunn
10-05-2005, 04:20 PM
Toward the beginning of this thread i put a pic of my parents house with nice straight lines. Well, that got kinda boring so I had some fun today! Here ya go guys.

how did you mow around that car?

GEO :alien:

wowlawncare
10-05-2005, 07:18 PM
That is funny. Its a shame to park that car on that beautiful grass.

Nosmo
10-05-2005, 07:40 PM
Is that Bobby G's ?

Hard Worker
10-05-2005, 08:43 PM
Guys all joking aside, there are some yards we mow that you could drive a tank across and it would not stripe. My opinion is that with a properly pitched deck, cutting heighth > 3" and proper lawn maintenance, almost any mower will stripe decently. Do you agree?

10-05-2005, 09:28 PM
Both of the lawn pictures that I took are cut at 3.5". I have found that WITH the stripe kit (a roller right behind the deck) longer grass stripes MUCH better than short grass.

As for the car.....I know, its such a shame to park it there, but its my parents house, not much i can do... but hey, anyone looking for a sunfire?