PDA

View Full Version : dealing with customers

imdawrlus
08-17-2005, 02:13 PM
i have a couple lawns that i cut every thursday. well for the past few weeks they have been growing slower and slower because it hasent rained at all. on thursday when i cut them i asked them if they wanted to skip a week because of the slow growth. they said yes. since thursday it has rained three times and needless to say if i skip a week now its going to be a jungle. i know that one of my customers is going to understand completly....i'm worried about the other one tho..i'm affraid shes going to say "can u cut it every ten days instead?" she tried to pull that this spring but i told her "lets just try it every 7 days and see how it works out" and i never heard anything about it again....this is one of my better paying accounts so i want to cut it haha....should i just talk to her husband about it and explain the situation? i think that would work out better, and then just tell him to make sure he tells her i talked to him about cutting it...what should i say to him/her if they try to pull the ten day crap??

twindiddy
08-17-2005, 03:42 PM
No way! If you've been talking to her, continue to talk to her. I think it would be a bad idea to talk to her husband. Then she would know you thought she was too stupid to understand and get offended. Drop you like a bad habit.

Unless... you could work it so she wasn't available when you called.

GR8LAWNS
08-17-2005, 04:05 PM
I'd call her and let her know you're just gonna mow thursday, because of the rain and all....I try not to ever do the 10 day thing, it's not really possible unless you want to work 7 days a week. This week you mow thursday, next week its sunday, then wednesday, then saturday and so on. NO 10 days.Weekly for whatever price or bi-weekly for that price and 40/50% more.

Tn Lawn Man
08-17-2005, 04:17 PM
Like GR8LAWNS said, a 10 day schedule can be very hectic. People get into routines and like to KNOW when you will be there rather than do long division to figure it out.

Also, I don't "ask" my clients if they want to skip. I TELL them when I am going to skip.

Don't get me wrong. I am very polite and courteous. But, they understand that I make the decision as to whether or not we will mow.

I base my decision many times, however, on the type of client they are. If they are a penny pincher I will err on the side of skipping. They like that. Yet, if you have a client that wants their lawn immaculate then I will err on the side of not skipping.

Both ways are designed to make the client happy. And, it keeps the decision making in your court.

If I get one that gets pushy about skipping when I think it is not necessary, and I want to keep them as a client, then I add a surcharge to the next visit for the extra labor in trimming. This offsets the extra time it takes on the next visit to make the lawn look nice again.

Shuter
08-17-2005, 04:32 PM
I tell customers that I will do my best to schedule their maintenance when they want it, but I do it when it works for me. None of my customers have ever complained.