PDA

View Full Version : exmark lazer stopped and won't start

trussell
08-17-2005, 05:56 PM
i have bought a used mower earlier this year and has been running great and then today went out for about 20 min and the mower just cut out on me and now i can't get it to start back up it has plenty of gas when i turn the key it feels like it won't turn over what could be the problem?

jbell113
08-17-2005, 06:10 PM
If it wont turn over I would start with the battery

rodfather
08-17-2005, 06:42 PM
Could be a bad regulator or magneto that isn't recharging the battery too. Have them checked as well.

HighGrass
08-17-2005, 06:47 PM
He's right start with the battery. If it has been cranking good up to this point, but it suddenly died while mowing, my guess is it's a switch....the question now becomes, which one?

Make sure when starting that the brake is on, the mower switch is off (in) and the control handles are in neutral and all the way out.

An easy check is the two fuses you'll find just under the seat. There should be 2-20amp automotive style fuses, make sure they are good. Check all connections that you can for anything that might be loose or disconnected.

I had this happen to me about 2 weeks ago. I would turn the key and it wouldn't even click. Turned out to be a Delay Seat Module (12.00). It's under the console.

mcwlandscaping
08-17-2005, 06:49 PM
He's right start with the battery. If it has been cranking good up to this point, but it suddenly died while mowing, my guess is it's a switch....the question now becomes, which one?

Make sure when starting that the brake is on, the mower switch is off (in) and the control handles are in neutral and all the way out.

An easy check is the two fuses you'll find just under the seat. There should be 2-20amp automotive style fuses, make sure they are good. Check all connections that you can for anything that might be loose or disconnected.

I had this happen to me about 2 weeks ago. I would turn the key and it wouldn't even click. Turned out to be a Delay Seat Module (12.00). It's under the console.
I agree with what ^^^^^^ said

lawnmaniac883
08-17-2005, 09:56 PM
My reccomendation is to make sure the engine is not frozen up. Try and turn the crankshaft by hand.

GR8LAWNS
08-17-2005, 10:46 PM
every now and then I had the same problem with my lazer...ok twice...both times it was the parking brake saftey switch...jiggled it the first time and it started...replaced it the second time....no mo problem

HacMan91
08-17-2005, 11:12 PM
If it stopped while cutting and hasnt turned over yet, I would check the PTO switch. If it goes bad your mower will think the blades are engaged and wont do anything. I have 1200 hrs on mine and have had 2 replaced. Its under $20 and takes about 10 minutes to change out.

milo
08-17-2005, 11:42 PM
check to see if you have 12volts at the battery. if you do then it is a safety switch. make sure your control arms are open and brake on and blade clutch off also check seat switch. if still no luck look at the fuses. you should have 2 of them. if battery is lower than like 9 volts, your battery is not strong enough to turn it over. so buy a new battery and also make sure all your wires on your regulator are on. one time one fell off mine and i ran out and bought a new battery. so check that to

Brianslawn
08-17-2005, 11:45 PM
safety switch or regulator most likely. might also check battery ground wire or battery. guys truck wouldnt start recently cause ground wire had dirty connection.

HighGrass
08-21-2005, 03:19 PM
So what's the verdict? Did you get in fixed or what?

Keith
09-16-2005, 05:48 AM
Man, this sounds kind of familiar. Tuesday, I finished a lawn, load up the 03 EFI Lazer to head to the next account and the mower won't start. Nothing, no click, no nothing. The fuel pump does come on though. Battery voltage is good. All the fuses seem fine. The seat switch, motion lever switches, and brake switches all seem to be in order. But I am getting no power to the little spade connector at the starter. Is this seat delay switch up under the panel, directly under the seat?

BladeRunner1967
09-16-2005, 08:14 AM
If it stopped while cutting and hasnt turned over yet, I would check the PTO switch. If it goes bad your mower will think the blades are engaged and wont do anything. I have 1200 hrs on mine and have had 2 replaced. Its under $20 and takes about 10 minutes to change out.
Just happened to me the other day while I was mowing. Bypassed the seat switch and still didn't turn over. It was the PTO. Lost 3 hours getting it back to the dealer. Took them 3 minutes. LOL. Now I carry an extra.

Keith
09-18-2005, 03:28 AM
Well, I live 40 minutes from the closest Exmark dealer with a good inventory. Hauling the mower down there would cost me probably $15+ roundtrip. Of course I would have to do that twice, take it, leave it, then go back and get it. So make that 30 bucks. It obviously would cost me some labor and some parts. So I called them Saturday afternoon (they close at 5pm) and asked them if they had the parts that I thought it could be. They had everything, so I took the car (that gets a little better gas mileage) and got the parts. I figured I would throw parts at the mower and maybe I would get it right :p

The very first thing I tried was the PTO switch, maybe because it was the easiest. Maybe because I thought that was the problem. Or maybe because of HacMan91 or BladeRunner1967's experience. With the new PTO switch it started right up :cool: So I got a few extra pieces (ignition switch, seat delay, and relay)and I spent $30 more than I needed to...but it is fixed! :)

topsites
09-18-2005, 04:04 AM
ahhh nevermind, i posted this before I saw you fixed it (this the edit). ;)