PDA

View Full Version : Neighbors in a stare down

nobagger
08-17-2005, 09:02 PM
We picked up a new account where the two neighbors don't get along, so for two weeks now every time we mow the damn lady does nothing but sit and watch with the nastiest glare and walk over while we are mowing to see if we mowed on any of her property. It kind of bothers me, being followed back and forth being stared at.

vipermanz
08-17-2005, 09:20 PM
been there, it's probably one of those keepng up with the jones's situations, that's happening in my n'hood now too

jt5019
08-17-2005, 09:23 PM
I was in the middle of a neighbor dispute over hedges.The "drunk" neighbor wanted them down(said she couldn't see out her driveway) and asked me to do it several times.I kept telling her it's not my call, the homeowner has to ask me to do it. I'm not doing it without her permission.I told the homeowner that the neighbor was getting on my nerves and she said "No way" she didn't want them "chopped up"

Finally one day while i was there mowing the two neighbors went at it.. yelling back and forth, calling each other names, threatening the whole nine yards.My worker and I just stood there like what do we do now.The neighbor still comes out and watches me mow to this day but hasn't said anything in a few weeks. It's a crappy situation to be in but not a whole lot you can do. I just pretend she isnt there.

lawnguyland
08-17-2005, 09:23 PM
Sounds quite torturous. I hate that crap. Try to blow clippings on her. Make it a game. I'd stare back and act crazy too. Who needs that. Or...be really nice to her and ask her if there is anything you need to be aware of that would make it easier for all....who am I kidding. Blow dust on her. Lots of it.

6'7 330
08-17-2005, 09:27 PM
Try one of the following two approaches with this lady.

Number one, if she really bothers you to all distraction, tell her the evil eye act causes you anguish, and if she doesnít quit you will poke it out.

Number two,just go about your business of mowing and let the evil eye fly lol.

lawnguyland
08-17-2005, 09:35 PM
Or get my cousin vinny, I mean bobby gedd to have a wacking arranged.

olderthandirt
08-17-2005, 09:39 PM
Or get my cousin vinny, I mean bobby gedd to have a wacking arranged.
HA Ha see man above ^^ who do you think whacks harder ? 5'6" or 6'7" and lets not forget the extra 150 pds :D

Woody82986
08-17-2005, 09:48 PM
When I get people who stare at me either sitting or standing in visibility while I am mowing and it starts bothering me... I turn my mower straight toward them, turn my mower off, cross my legs, and stare back at them until they get more spooked than I was at them staring at me and leave. Its really worth the time wasted to get their reaction when you stop and stare back at them.

nobagger
08-17-2005, 10:02 PM
Well I'm glad I'm not the only one that it bothers. I should have just asked WWBD "what would Bobby do? Great now I gave him an idea and he will make millions.LOL :dizzy:

Mower For Less
08-17-2005, 10:16 PM
I have been in similar situations where neighbors dont get along and they hold it against the lawnguy because he's working for the neighbor. One guy would not let us park our truck in front of his house (next to account, we park accross the street or the next house down so we can edge & blow the curb). And he would not let us edge the side of our customers driveway that bordered his lawn (normal cutting here is driveway to driveway, and edge both sides of your customers drive). Now he couldnt legally stop us from parking in front of his house I know (and there was no reason for him to complain, our trucks are well maintained and do not leak anything), but I honestly feared this nut might come out shooting, so I did not tempt fate. And he edged the side of the drive, so it was less work for me. It did make it miserable to cut the customers lawn though knowing somebody hated your guts and was watching your every move just because of WHO you worked for and not because of the work you were doing.

Normally though, people watching me does not bother me. I am especially used to the senior citizens hanging out and sitting on the porch while we work. Not so much to keep an eye on us, but just becuase thats what they do for a large part of the afternoon. I'm ok with being watched like that.

Kevin

6'7 330
08-17-2005, 10:34 PM
One approach I feel compelled to mention,if one and two fail whack the bat with a caber.lol

du4485
08-17-2005, 11:40 PM
Why not just give her a wink and a smile and tell her how nice she looks. It might make her day and she might even make you some sun dried tea. Hell, she might even ask you to take a look at her lawn for her!!!!!!!! You've seen king pin right? :o :dizzy:

j&c
08-18-2005, 12:02 AM
I just give them a card with a quote for their yard on the back and let it go at that you would be surprised what a little smile or just a showing of kindness :waving: can do for business.... payup

leadarrows
08-18-2005, 12:15 AM
I would Nuke her. LOL

JK
I would just go over and tell her "look I have beat up a lot of old people in my time" and one more isn't going to make any difference.
LOL Johnny Fever in WKRP in Cincinnati. LOL

OK OK Really I agree with du4485 and j&c just be nice and show her nothing but kindness and try to get the property. If your doing her yard as well then that completion you spoke of could be very profitable for you.

dvmcmrhp52
08-18-2005, 12:21 AM
The biggest insult to a person is to ignore them.
If you let it bother you then they win and they know it, on the other hand if it doesn't bother you and you go about your business totally oblivious to their presence they no longer have the upper hand and will soon give up the childish B.S.

ITL
08-18-2005, 12:23 AM
I usually do not pay attention to those with nothing to do but stare. If it continues I usually smile and wave at them. Normally they are not there at the next pass. A few years agos we mowed a Church that the rear couple of acres had homes bordering it with one elderly man who would alway stand and look at us from large open window. Funny thing is he always would be in same outfit underwear only. I felt like posting a sign "spare the women and children". After a few times I would always wave at him. He would not be visible for the balance of that mow but next week he was always there.

RonB
08-18-2005, 12:49 AM
I had two neighbors bickering, I found out when I got this new customer. The problem was rain water was washing into the others front yard and taking some debris with it. The street was sloped so there wasn't really anything to do is what the customer complained.

After looking over the problem I suggested why not build a flower bed using railroad ties. I ended up making a 2'x30' box with a liner next to her driveway, one tie high on one side and two the other.

It diverts the water now to the street, customer put in flowers and loves it. Neighbor doesn't complain anymore and I made a grand!

See if you can "fix" the problem.

yrdandgardenhandyman
08-18-2005, 12:55 AM
I would Nuke her. LOL
JK

OK OK Really I agree with du4485 and j&c just be nice and show her nothing but kindness and try to get the property. If your doing her yard as well then that completion you spoke of could be very profitable for you.

Sounds like it could cause problems. Be assured that a neighborhood feud can get crazy and violent and unreasonable. What if one neighbor starts accusing you of dragging the other neighbors crappy grass into their higher quality grass because it is growing on the right property. Or, "You left a divet in my yard and you never did on their property. Are you in cahoots?" It makes both accounts PITA's. Believe me, I know about nutty neighbors and neighborhoods. I like the "Nuke her." concept....... errrr in theory at least. :rolleyes:

General Landscaping
08-18-2005, 01:08 AM
Looks like it's time for some loose fitting pants and a "sideways smile"; make sure you bend WAY over to adjust your trimmer for a few minutes while casting a half moon her way.

Or just let the bottom of your marble bag get some sun while riding the Z ..... make sure to wave and smile.

Keep in mind this is all secondary to making the sale.
Go over to the neighbor and offer the lower "discount neighbor rate"
In this case, it is $10/cut more than your current customer.

stuie
08-18-2005, 06:03 AM
Do Voodoo dolls really work???? :rolleyes: :angry:

Pro-Scapes
08-18-2005, 01:47 PM
Sounds quite torturous. I hate that crap. Try to blow clippings on her. Make it a game. I'd stare back and act crazy too. Who needs that. Or...be really nice to her and ask her if there is anything you need to be aware of that would make it easier for all....who am I kidding. Blow dust on her. Lots of it.

This is one of the most unproffesional replies I have ever heard. Its not your business what the nieghbors prob is. Ignore her. Besure your discharge is covered and do what your there to do. Get in and get out. Noo confrontation needed. Its not your beef. You can bet if she is already irate that blowing clippings on her will get you sued.
Lawnguy needss to grow up and act proffesional.

If its a prob explain to your client you won't be able to service her property any more.

Davis Lawn Mowing, LLC
08-18-2005, 01:53 PM
There is something that comes to mind, "Kick her ass sea bass". Tell her to stay the hell back while you are mowing because if she gets hit with a rock it will be quite funny for you.

jtrice11
08-18-2005, 01:57 PM
This is one of the most unproffesional replies I have ever heard. Its not your business what the nieghbors prob is. Ignore her. Besure your discharge is covered and do what your there to do. Get in and get out. Noo confrontation needed. Its not your beef. You can bet if she is already irate that blowing clippings on her will get you sued.
Lawnguy needss to grow up and act proffesional.

If its a prob explain to your client you won't be able to service her property any more.

...what he said.

Mope Head
08-18-2005, 02:16 PM
As a firefighter we're often called into the middle of neighbor disputes, usually because one of them is burning leaves and the smoke is pissing off the other one.
I had a call once where, at the root of the problem, a landscaper had a house in an older subdivision, corner lot, and he stored some of his equipment in the backyard. Well, a new cul-de-sac was cut in with much newer, more expensive homes, one of which backed up to his backyard. The new neighbors hated the "unsightly" older home and landscape equipment and before long there was quite an ongoing feud. Police were often out there as well as the fire department.
We were out one day, checking to see if the landscape guy had a burn permit for his leaf pile (he did), we ended up having to go tell the neighbor who called it in that he was within the law to burn lawn debris. As we were crossing the property line I heard a clanging sound above me and saw that the landcape dude had hung three 4x6 pieces of tin from an oak tree at the corner of his property like a giant wind chime. Each tin panel had a smiley face painted on it and the words "Have A Nice Day!" painted on it.
Every time the wind blew even the slightest bit the tin would CLANG.

sheshovel
08-18-2005, 03:55 PM
I would simply stop and ask her if there is anything that you are doing that is bothering her.Find out what her problem is.Then go from there but be nice to her and smile alot.