PDA

View Full Version : kown problems of '96 ford trucks.

TClawn
08-17-2005, 09:40 PM
I am looking at buying a '96 f150 xlt x-cab with an auto tranny.

what are the known problems with these trucks? I mainly want to know about trannys going out and major problems with the frame and engine. but anything else you can think of will be appreaciated.

lawnmaniac883
08-17-2005, 10:00 PM
How many miles on the truck now? Dont expect much more than 130-150,000 miles out of any slush box.

nobagger
08-17-2005, 10:07 PM
How many miles on the truck now? Dont expect much more than 130-150,000 miles out of any slush box.
Oh come on now,LOL I'm still running my 94 I put new fenders and bed sides on it but it's got 145000 and running strong.
As far as know problems there are a couple either the speedometer's go bad or the vehicle speed sensor both causing the tranny not to know when to shift, it will either start bucking or act like it's slipping. And the bed sides go bad after awhile, other than that Iv'e replaced a few things here and there but nothing major.

smullen
08-18-2005, 01:39 AM
Myself, I would not buy any Ford Trucks except maybe the Ranger or Escape... Pretty much ever Explorer or Fullsize Ford I've seen has had a Transmission problem....

I had a 88 F150 XLT, went through 3 Trannys and I never towed anything...

My dad had a 96 F150 , went through 2 trannys,

My buddy John, has a newer (not sure of year) F150, tranny is slipping bad and about to go....

At my Primary job, we all have Ford Rangers, Escapes and Explorers if your somewhat important.... Ever one of the Explorers I've ridden in or heard about has a slip or a Clunk in the tranny...

My Cousin Tanya bought an Explorer new like 3 years ago had it in the shop like 4 times for the tranny, they could never find issue.... Supprsingly enough, 3 weeks after the Warrenty expired it was back in the shop and they found the issue.... They wanted like 2800 to fix her tranny.... She traded it in on a Chevy and has been happy since....

jt5019
08-18-2005, 01:57 AM
i had 180,000 on my 90 ford f250 before i got rid of it. never changed the tranny but it was in the shop a lot near the end of it's days for stupid things :drinkup:

PLM-1
08-18-2005, 02:32 AM
A buddy has a 93 3/4 with a p%ssy 351. He's got 230k on it...original everything. Also has a late 80s 1 ton with well over 300k on the orig. 460. He has more trouble with rear springs than anything.

xcopterdoc
08-18-2005, 11:00 PM
These were pretty solid trucks. There were some tranny issues early on. Some had multiple trannys installed. Due mostly to failure to installing in line filters, replacing the torque convertors and flushing the cooler. The crud from the tore up tranny went right into the new one and soon wiped it out too. I looked up recalls and tsb's and there really isnt much there other than the normal crap. No real solid issues to be worried about. If you are serious about buying it, have it taken to a 3rd party shop and have em look it over. Usually costs about .5 to 1 hr labor. Money well spent if yur serious about buying it. Could save major bucks down the road.

aspen NJ
08-18-2005, 11:15 PM
I had a 94 my brother has a 96 f- 250 The manifolds cracked on both trucks . Mine twice. I was told this is common on the Fords.

Smalltimer1
08-19-2005, 12:48 AM
I had a 94 my brother has a 96 f- 250 The manifolds cracked on both trucks . Mine twice. I was told this is common on the Fords.

My old F-250 had a bad exhaust manifold gasket, the manifold itself was fine.

As for the truck in question, being that it's a 150, depending on its condition, will determine what you should give for it. If it has been taken care of, it is entirely possible to see 200k+ out of the transmission.

The only real issues with that body style was the rust over the rear wheelwells. Other than that, these trucks were pretty solid. Having owned an '84 F-150, a '95 F-250, and used a '90 F-250 on the farm, I'd say the only real other issues would be the EFI injectors going bad as the truck gets older, the injectors are really sensitive to trash in the line. The replacement injectors from Ford have a 1 year warranty on them.

Dirty Water
08-19-2005, 03:04 AM
Myself, I would not buy any Ford Trucks except maybe the Ranger or Escape... Pretty much ever Explorer or Fullsize Ford I've seen has had a Transmission problem....

Explorers and Rangers share the same transmission and drivetrain.

smullen
08-19-2005, 10:38 AM
Explorers and Rangers share the same transmission and drivetrain.

Well then I don't know how to explain that about every Exploder, I have had experience with had tranny issues and I have yet to see a Ranger have issues...

I'd by far rather have a Chevy anyway.... But thats just my opinion...

My Father works at a Ford Plant (25+ years) and will not own a Ford; he owns and recomends all Chevys...

When realitives used to come to him to help get the Employee discount, he always said, OK, I'll hook you up, but when this things starts having problems, I don't want to hear a word about it...

Smalltimer1
08-19-2005, 03:20 PM
Well then I don't know how to explain that about every Exploder, I have had experience with had tranny issues and I have yet to see a Ranger have issues...

I'd by far rather have a Chevy anyway.... But thats just my opinion...

My Father works at a Ford Plant (25+ years) and will not own a Ford; he owns and recomends all Chevys...

When realitives used to come to him to help get the Employee discount, he always said, OK, I'll hook you up, but when this things starts having problems, I don't want to hear a word about it...

Your preference is your choice, but statements like this hold no water. Remember the Chevy 700R4??? Had 5 of them replaced in the '83, this truck only has 130k on it. Also had a S-10 that had 3 trannies within 100k. I wouldn't own a new Chevy even if it was given to me, the main reason being the piston slap and low mileage oil consumption problems the '96-present ones have had.

I've owned 3 Ford trucks (put 50k+ on these) and worked with 4 others (put more than 20k miles on these each) and none have had a single transmission problem, even after 216k on the '84 F-150 I had 2 years ago, 178k on the '90 F-250 also 2 years ago, 186k on a '90 F-150 6 years ago, 94k on my old '95 F-250, 107k on a '97 F-150, and 88k on a '98 F-150. I have no problem getting into a Ford truck and driving long distances.

Every brand has problems, but this Ford bashing is rediculous. Ford trucks have accomplished many things over the years, and so have GM and Dodges, each has its own set of peculiarities. No one brand is perfect. Some question my ideas but they do not recognize my acknowledgement of this.

I like Fords because they have done everything I have asked them to do and have done a good job at it. I have no complaints with the overall construction and engineering of these trucks. My only issue with the Fords I've had are that the gas and brake pedals tend to be too close together for my size 15 feet. :D But I realize that they know that everyone who drives their trucks aren't 6'6" like me and the design it for more of a 6'0" or 6'2" individual with maybe a size 13 shoe at most.