PDA

View Full Version : How long shoud it take?

gil
08-17-2005, 08:42 PM
This is going to be my first big patio job. The total square foot is 1250. I told my customer it will take me 1 week with a 2 man crew. Does the time sounds right? :help:

Drafto
08-17-2005, 09:08 PM
Ooooh. First one? How will you be excavating? What kind of experience do you have? Education? 1250 is a good size patio. I did a driveway in March with some walkways that was 1400 and it took me an embarassing 9 days with 3 guys (that does include myself). It was my 3rd job. I have learned a lot since then, if it was tomorrow I could get it done in probably in 4 or 5 days now that I have a clue.

Dan

P.S. Flame away everyone, I am not afraid to say it took me 9 days!

mbella
08-17-2005, 09:19 PM
NINE days! We could have manufactured the pavers and installed them in nine days. Just kidding.

Gil, is this a raised application? How is the access? Do you have to haul out the excavated material? Are there a lot of cuts? There are too many variables to give you an answer based on the info. you provided.

Drafto
08-17-2005, 09:37 PM
(NINE days! We could have manufactured the pavers and installed them in nine days. Just kidding.)

Dude - It hurt typing it out! I actually thought about removing that blurb while I was proof reading it! Encouragement to others to follow:

I never had any experience with pavers before in my life until last year when I did 1 job, without any help form anyone who ever even used pavers before (except every professional on this site that responded to me as I frantically looked for direction!). Anyway, on that 1400 sqft driveway, we were on hands and knees setting each paver and tapping it into place with rubber mallets. No I am not drinking truth serum tonight! I took the ICPI course this spring and wow, do I feel real DUMB looking back at all 3 jobs I have done. Are they done right? The principles were there, but man did we waste a ton of time................tapping each paver with mallets......

If this is your first job, good luck, but take the ICPI course if you intend to do anymore. Educate yourself and ask the right questions, posting here is a good start.

Dan

mrusk
08-17-2005, 09:44 PM
I am up to my 3rd or 4th paver job solo now. My secound paver job was a 1200 sq patio. It was a rasided patio. The home owner built the walls and did a rough grade base for the patio. I had to spend 1 day leveling out the base and getting the right pitch. Then i laid the 1200 feet of pavers in 2 days solo. The 4th day i made all the cuts and sanded it. This was all by myself.

Then the job after it was a 400sq walk way.This was the first paver job i had where i had to do the excavation also. This walkway was tricky. Alot of curves and ground was pitched 4 feet in a distants of 50 feet. This job took me 7 days. I was embarrased. I expected to be out of there in 3!

Matt

gil
08-18-2005, 08:19 AM
Thanks for the reply. I have done several walkways. Mostly 20' long but i've never done a big patio before. I have the education and also the tools. The only problem is how to calculate the hours it will take me to complete the job. I didn't wanted to price this job to high (or too low) because of the hours or days I think this could take me. With your responses I have an idea of how long it will take me.
Thanks to all of you.
Gil

Bobcat s250 NY
08-18-2005, 06:50 PM
LOL i find myself taping pavers with my mallet too. ;) Maybe this is why it takes longer than i figure.. Please dont kill me with this but if your not on your hands and knees setting all the pavers and giving them alil tap what do you do??? ;) ;)

hole in one lco
08-18-2005, 07:10 PM
LOL i find myself taping pavers with my mallet too. ;) Maybe this is why it takes longer than i figure.. Please dont kill me with this but if your not on your hands and knees setting all the pavers and giving them alil tap what do you do??? ;) ;)
I hope you use a rubber mallet :)

Drafto
08-18-2005, 09:18 PM
Go take the ICPI course, it is just "click and drop", set the edges tight and drop it into place. Go on ICPI.org and spend $20 on one of their videos, and you'll be real depressed at how fast YOU lay pavers.

Dan

Bobcat s250 NY
08-19-2005, 07:00 AM
Just Ordered it !!!

Dreams To Designs
08-19-2005, 09:59 AM
Working on your hands and knees is for young guys that want to make their knees old before their time. You may still need to tap a few pavers around when you stand and lay, but a deadblow hammer or one with a synthetic head is better than a rubber mallet. Too much bounce from the rubber mallet, you may end up with an elbow problem. If you are setting in sand, and you should, the seating of the pavers will take place after the edging is tight and you compact. No need to seat each paver as you go along. The ICPI course can't hurt, but a day or more with an accomplished paver installer will take you much further than the class, books or video will. Learn it, watch it, then do it and you will get it.

Kirk

Bobcat s250 NY
08-19-2005, 02:14 PM
Over the last two years i have done ~30 patios and walkways. They always come out great, i was just thrown alil by the hands and knees , mallet comment. When i lay them i make slide the next paver down the previous one to make sure no sand gets between and then tap lightly, very lightly with a deadblow hammer. I thought that was the way to do it. I see everyone out here with the rubber mallets, oh well i guess it works .... :cool:

Ps. The majority of our work is rip-out regrade plant and sod. What do you guys prefer? Brick work that takes a decent amount of time, or planting ect, which i see as very fast money.

The reason i was asking was over the last few weeks we did a few of each type and in the end we make more money in the landscape construction with far less time involved. I know this may is probably because we dont bang out the hardscape very fast. For my area we are almost on the high end for the paver pricing, so i know the price we are working for isnt the problem. The man hours on the Hardscape jobs are ridiculous. In order for me to get many of these planting jobs i need to also offer the hardscaping. Oh well i guess it all will balance out in the end :cool2:

Rex Mann
08-19-2005, 08:47 PM
Most new installers have a few reasons why they have low production. The laying of the pavers is generally the fastest and easiest part of the process.

Loose the hammer, mallet and the mullet if you have one of those
Do not lay on your knees, instead bend at the waist your productivity will go up 5-fold
Use string lines or chalk lines and follow them
Use a paver cart if your pavers are packaged in a fashion to allow this
Use the pyramid laying principle to create a larger laying face, which allow more people to lay

Just a few tips.

Peace,

Rex

PaversInstalled.Com (http://paversinstalled.com)

Drafto
08-19-2005, 09:34 PM
Hey Rex - How have you been? I agree with Rex 100%, I have been doing these jobs with zero under my belt. Looking back at how foolish I was and now looking over the time sheets form the jobs, the only thing we did efficiently was cut the pavers.

Dan