PDA

View Full Version : Waycross verses Blackshear, cheap verses ticky.

QualityLawnCare4u
08-17-2005, 11:25 PM
There is one thing I have discovered and found amazing at the same time. Waycross and Blackshear are only 9 miles apart. Most of the folks in Waycross (except the rich area) are ticky about their yards and will pay. In Blackshear I have NEVER kept a yard more than 3 months. This week I picked up 3 in Blackshear that wanted it done "cheap" no weedeating,edging, or blowing off the driveway. I mowed all 3 wide open, left bahai stalks standing everywhere, grass around the house and drive 2 feet tall, large clumps of grass turds in the yard, stuff that I would have NEVER done before, and the clients were happy! I was blown away and ashamed of the work I done on these yards. Oh yeah, 2 were 40 and one was 35 and all 3 took about an hour to mow.I know this is not a dollar a minute but my area if you get 30 and hour you are doing great. One lady told me her husband would weedeat and the other said they would use a push mower to trim. I quoted 2 at 65 for complete service and the 35 one at 55 for complete but they wanted "cheap".and by gawd they got cheap! :D I posted a thread awhile back about cutting a yard once a month (3.5 acres) for 200 and I did it 3 times and lost it to a cheaper service and the SOB is one of the richest folks in Blackshear and has a half million dollar house. I am changing some of my polocies to servive and it has gotten where it does not bother me as bad to do work like this for the cheapskapes. Just cant believe 9 miles makes that much difference.

jbell113
08-18-2005, 12:00 AM
Its funny how something that we think looks like crap, someone else will think it looks good.

Jason Rose
08-18-2005, 12:16 AM
I guess I'm too picky.. I fear others seeing me doing service like that and thinking that's just how I do my job. Like crap. I have one that tells me that he will do the trimming and edging and all I am to do is mow. that's all I charge for is the mowing. BUT... when he dosn't edge for 3 weeks, I do it anyway. I hate that other neghibors see me there and then not know the situation and assume that I'm a horrible contractor.

Personally I would LOVE to have about a days worth of just mow and go's! No trimming or anything else to bother with. Heck I wouldn't even have to get dirty!

QualityLawnCare4u
08-18-2005, 02:14 AM
I guess I'm too picky.. I fear others seeing me doing service like that and thinking that's just how I do my job. Like crap. I have one that tells me that he will do the trimming and edging and all I am to do is mow. that's all I charge for is the mowing. BUT... when he dosn't edge for 3 weeks, I do it anyway. I hate that other neghibors see me there and then not know the situation and assume that I'm a horrible contractor.

Personally I would LOVE to have about a days worth of just mow and go's! No trimming or anything else to bother with. Heck I wouldn't even have to get dirty!

Jason, yesterday I done a mow only (front yard) for 20 bucks. I have not weedeated the past 3 times and I finally broke down and weedeated because this was a upscale area, told the deadbeat not to expect that every time either. The other yards I did were in a low class area except one and they all looked crappy so it did not bother me as bad, but I still dont like doing it this way. The worst looking one I left was in a nice subdivision and I parked a block over so no one would see me! :D

topsites
08-18-2005, 03:26 AM
There is one thing I have discovered and found amazing at the same time. Waycross and Blackshear are only 9 miles apart. Most of the folks in Waycross (except the rich area) are ticky about their yards and will pay. In Blackshear I have NEVER kept a yard more than 3 months. This week I picked up 3 in Blackshear that wanted it done "cheap" no weedeating,edging, or blowing off the driveway. I mowed all 3 wide open, left bahai stalks standing everywhere, grass around the house and drive 2 feet tall, large clumps of grass turds in the yard, stuff that I would have NEVER done before, and the clients were happy! I was blown away and ashamed of the work I done on these yards. Oh yeah, 2 were 40 and one was 35 and all 3 took about an hour to mow.I know this is not a dollar a minute but my area if you get 30 and hour you are doing great. One lady told me her husband would weedeat and the other said they would use a push mower to trim. I quoted 2 at 65 for complete service and the 35 one at 55 for complete but they wanted "cheap".and by gawd they got cheap! :D I posted a thread awhile back about cutting a yard once a month (3.5 acres) for 200 and I did it 3 times and lost it to a cheaper service and the SOB is one of the richest folks in Blackshear and has a half million dollar house. I am changing some of my polocies to servive and it has gotten where it does not bother me as bad to do work like this for the cheapskapes. Just cant believe 9 miles makes that much difference.

Man those kind of fancy-folk can feel free to kiss my arse, I don't work like that no more. Way I see it, if the lady living in the trailer park can pay 20 dollars for me to play around for 10-15 minutes on this TINY yard then the big house folk can afford it, too.
Far as cost, I can adjust it and they CAN get it done a little cheaper SOMETIMES but when they start to try to out-lowball me then it's sayonara mufugga and there's plenty of them out there that try that crap. Usually when I see it coming, I add 20% or so to the standard price at the time of the estimate as I find that shuts them up the fastest so then I can get out of there. Most of my customers are mainstream, average americans, I don't, as a rule, target the rich neighborhoods at all anymore. Besides, I spend too much on advertising to have to put up with it, and if I let it go then they will call someone who HAS to put up with it and then HE or SHE can deal with it.

But 3.5 acres for 200 isn't cheap around here, I can cut that anywhere in a 140 - 175 range. I START my acres at 45 - 60 depending on whether it's 0.85 acres or 1.25 acres but once you get over 2-3 acres, the price / acre goes down and at 200 you're getting over 55 per acre.

mcwlandscaping
08-18-2005, 04:50 AM
One lady gives me 25 for everything, small yard, another guy gives me $40 and doesn't give a dam when i do it, how i do it, if i trim or blow, same sized yard too. I like customers like that. He is very pleased too! I don't understand it.

QualityLawnCare4u
08-18-2005, 08:17 AM
Man those kind of fancy-folk can feel free to kiss my arse, I don't work like that no more. Way I see it, if the lady living in the trailer park can pay 20 dollars for me to play around for 10-15 minutes on this TINY yard then the big house folk can afford it, too.
Far as cost, I can adjust it and they CAN get it done a little cheaper SOMETIMES but when they start to try to out-lowball me then it's sayonara mufugga and there's plenty of them out there that try that crap. Usually when I see it coming, I add 20% or so to the standard price at the time of the estimate as I find that shuts them up the fastest so then I can get out of there. Most of my customers are mainstream, average americans, I don't, as a rule, target the rich neighborhoods at all anymore. Besides, I spend too much on advertising to have to put up with it, and if I let it go then they will call someone who HAS to put up with it and then HE or SHE can deal with it.

But 3.5 acres for 200 isn't cheap around here, I can cut that anywhere in a 140 - 175 range. I START my acres at 45 - 60 depending on whether it's 0.85 acres or 1.25 acres but once you get over 2-3 acres, the price / acre goes down and at 200 you're getting over 55 per acre.

Topsite, I may not have made the 200 one clear. It has a HUGE amount of weedeating and and a airport size drive to blow off and he is very ticky but also a rich tightwad. This is not one I would do sloppy work on, sorry for the unclear post. This one really had nothing to do with the original thread, just a point of how Blackshear is a bunch of cheap azzes!. The yard took me about 4.5 to 5 hours to do, 2 hours weedeating and blowing and 3 mowing.