PDA

View Full Version : Aerate/new sod

Green-Pro
08-17-2005, 11:31 PM
Not a lot of experience with new sod and what you should and should not do.

Got a newly sodded lawn (spring 2005) client wants fert & squirt, no problem, also wants to aerate.

Question, is it o.k. to aerate sodded lawn this early? I can't seem to think of any reason not to the turf seems strong in that it seems like its bonded (right principle/wording?) to the soil quite well.

Thanks in advance

-Geoff

Runner
08-17-2005, 11:39 PM
It can be aerated. Does it need it? Probably not. But it CAN be done.

Green-Pro
08-17-2005, 11:48 PM
It can be aerated. Does it need it? Probably not. But it CAN be done.

Thanks Runner, Thats what I suspected, just wanted to confirm. Your right, doesn't really need it but thats not my call on this one, he stopped me while I was mowing sub-division right of ways today, shows me the lawn, says put me on your list, told him I need to be sure we can do this for new sod.

His money, his call

Thanks

-Geoff

Gators_Aerator
08-18-2005, 06:09 PM
Yes it can and yes it is good.

I make sure sod has had 6 mths of good growing. Even then some may be not rooted well. Be careful.

It is good because it stimulates root growth. It will encourage more root structure in the sod. Most sod in my area is layed on crap soil, so aeration is a benefit to the roots.

Once again, be careful. Some areas may not be rooted as good as others, so extra care and explaination to client is needed. Be honest with them that you may have to core lightly or not at all if any sods lifts.

TURFLORD
08-19-2005, 07:21 PM
Leave it alone. It's not broken so don't fix it.

turfcobob
08-22-2005, 11:38 AM
Be careful with a newly sodded lawn...

If the sod is not fully knitted into the new enviroment (that is the sod is rooted into the new soil) Aeration will tend to lift and rip the sod.

You can do a few test runs with the aerator or you can go try to lift the sod by grabbing and lifting it.

It is good and beneficial to aerate and fert new sod. By making holes thru the new sod and getting the fert into the sub soil you will force the roots into the new soil faster and deeper.

Big mistake people make is feeding and watering new sod too much so the sod does not grow into the new soil. I will fert before I put down new sod. yup right on the bare soil and soak it in. Get it real wet. Put down the new sod the roots go right after the fert and I get a better lawn faster.

Just make sure the sod is rooted in good and aerate the well out of it. It is good for it..

Turfcobob

Gators_Aerator
08-22-2005, 07:51 PM
So is it better to have green grass or good roots?

Aeration helps stimulate good roots and life to the plant which will in time give you great looking green grass.

I agree with Turfcobb as long as the sods is well rooted and will not pull up. Give it a go!