PDA

View Full Version : Git yer switch

MOJOmowers
08-17-2005, 11:00 PM
First off I have to say thanks to everyone on this site because your collective knowledge has saved me (time, money) many times. I typically don’t post because the archives and current threads are great.

Well . . . there was that one time with the scrub post (I'm sorry about that Sean).

Anyway, today I was finishing up with an easy one: front yard only, flat, level, healthy and it stripes well. Then one of the homeowner’s kids came out on the front lawn and started pulling a few limbs (about a meter to a yard long) off of one of the trees I installed last season!

I didn’t think too much about it, I mean it’s their tree and I was pretty beat so I just thought it was kind of odd. Then I heard several loud whacks over the engine of my 48. Then again I hear it . . . whack, whack, whack and a kid crying . . . no, it was more like howling.

Well, it turns out that the kid (14 yr old boy and he’s big as a house) had yelled at or “punked out” a teacher at school and been suspended. When his dad got home, he had him cut his own switch and then tore him up old school style.

Just had to share this. (Sorry if this is the wrong forum to post)

a a green
08-17-2005, 11:26 PM
To be honest, if more parents would do this to their children(not beat them) but punish them,and were not afraid of social services being called, there would be less kids getting into trouble. Then there would be less crime , less criminals, less prisons. And we wouldn't feel that letting our kids ride their bikes down the street was a bad thing. there is something wrong in the world when you have to be afraid to give your child a good ol passionate a$$ whop pin.

yrdandgardenhandyman
08-17-2005, 11:36 PM
To be honest, if more parents would do this to their children(not beat them) but punish them,and were not afraid of social services being called, there would be less kids getting into trouble. Then there would be less crime , less criminals, less prisons. And we wouldn't feel that letting our kids ride their bikes down the street was a bad thing. there is something wrong in the world when you have to be afraid to give your child a good ol passionate a$$ whop pin.

It didn't hurt me one bit. And it taught me to respect and, yes, fear just a little bit, my elders. These young people don't know fear. But without fear, we don't survive very long.
By the way, we had 2 full grown weeping willows and one smaller weeping willow. Plenty of thin, flexible and durable switches. :mad:

Off topic
When I grew up, at 12 years old, if I went all the way to the other side of town, down by the river and snuck a cigarette, by the time I got home my Dad had known about it for an hour. Someone called him. The point is that if I call a kids Dad, now days, and told him his kid was smoking or some other bad activity, his Dad is just as likely to try to pick a fight with me instead of correcting the child. Kids know that they can't be punished so they go wild.

MOJOmowers
08-17-2005, 11:46 PM
The homeowner came about and said something about, "sorry you had to be here for this" or something like that. Then I said something like, "for what?" and we both laughed!

Then, and I would never lie because there is no point, he made the kid get some small pruning sheers (just a little bigger than scissors) and start cutting this overgrown lot next to their house that he had asked me to clear.
Thanks to everyone on this site I had measured and bid that job according to what seems to be a national standard and felt good about the price and service I was going to be able to give for it.

I reminded the homeowner and he told the kid to work on the neighbors shrub . . . it was great.

General Landscaping
08-18-2005, 12:18 AM
The thing that really sucked was that if you came back with a crappy switch; momma would go pick one out for ya.

mcwlandscaping
08-18-2005, 12:23 AM
Mowing lawns and learning the basics of running a business has taught me disiplie. Keeps me busy doing something productive. I go to bed tired because after a long day of school (honor role all honors classes) then work, i feel good. This site helps a lot too. Thanks Everyone for all the help you have given me.

yrdandgardenhandyman
08-18-2005, 12:36 AM
Mowing lawns and learning the basics of running a business has taught me disiplie. Keeps me busy doing something productive. I go to bed tired because after a long day of school (honor role all honors classes) then work, i feel good. This site helps a lot too. Thanks Everyone for all the help you have given me.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

:cry:

topsites
08-18-2005, 02:32 AM
Nothing works like a good ole' fashioned a$$-whoopin' to set things straight.

Funny thing is, you don't actually GOTTA whoop'm to get them to act straight so long you make them THINK you're going to do it. May not work with kids but it works with adults, such as when they think they don't want to pay lol.

a a green
08-18-2005, 05:18 PM
well usually after the first spanking or whoppin, very little corrective action has to be taken, because they know whats comming.

Itsgottobegreen
08-18-2005, 09:15 PM
Just the fear of my old man beating me kept me straight. :cry:

quiet
08-18-2005, 10:50 PM
When I grew up, at 12 years old, if I went all the way to the other side of town, down by the river and snuck a cigarette, by the time I got home my Dad had known about it for an hour. Someone called him. [/QUOTE]

Dontcha just love small town livin'? My kids hated it when they were teenagers, but I love it!

JB1
08-18-2005, 10:54 PM
There was never anything worse than gettin the limb that you going to get your butt beat with, boy that was a long walk.