PDA

View Full Version : A hypothetical unsticking question

6'7 330
08-18-2005, 01:20 AM
This is hypothetical situation, youíre a solo operation, and for whatever reason you get, a z-turn stuck in a clients back lawn. You canít get a truck back there, itís farther away then the amount of rope and come along, or you or you donít have a rope with you.

It is stuck up to the axles and to further complicate this scenario, the customer will be hi-tailing out of town in 45 minutes; the property is completely fenced in, and will be locked up tight for 5 days. There is no way you can get to a store to buy a longer rope.

The question is, how do you get it unstuck, or in this scenario are you going to be doomed to be without a mower for 5 days? All options are at your disposal, except using your truck, chain, rope and come a long.

I have an answer what I would do, lets here what some of you would do in this revolting situation

ALarsh
08-18-2005, 01:24 AM
Get one of those winches that attach on to trees and pull it out.

HOOLIE
08-18-2005, 01:26 AM
Wedge a few pieces of wood, or the floor mats from your truck under the rear wheels to gain some traction. If all else fails, call Fareway, he has experience getting mowers out of tricky spots :D

6'7 330
08-18-2005, 01:28 AM
Get one of those winches that attach on to trees and pull it out.

One further and the last complication,no trees back there.

6'7 330
08-18-2005, 01:31 AM
Wedge a few pieces of wood, or the floor mats from your truck under the rear wheels to gain some traction. If all else fails, call Fareway, he has experience getting mowers out of tricky spots :D

It's buried both wheels,like in a swamp ,fareway's stairways dont count lol

General Landscaping
08-18-2005, 01:33 AM
I'm so new at this that I have not had a machine stuck beyond pushing (on customer's prop.)...... but here's my current plan.......

Go back home and get the OLD Cub Cadet 149 with 23X10.50 deep lug tires.
Pull out the Z with that.

The old Cub has just the right weight and traction to get the job done but not make a mess.

mcwlandscaping
08-18-2005, 01:33 AM
Get another Z to pull it out, it might work. Never really used one. Just a suggestion!!

lwcmattlifter
08-18-2005, 01:37 AM
Break out the lifting belt and start the Backyard Strongman Games 2005. Make sure to stand on a wide board so that you don't sink also.

HOOLIE
08-18-2005, 01:49 AM
Alright, take a shovel, dig out an area around each wheel, then you can try the floormat trick. But if you're really in a swamp, you'll probably just get stuck again 3 feet later :dizzy:

EJK2352
08-18-2005, 01:50 AM
Bypass the seat switch, get off the seat and push/pull it out by hand, useing the hydro's while pushing/pulling. I have been working solo for 5 years, and have only had one incident (stuck in a 4 foot deep ditch) that I needed help to get my Lazer unstuck. I'm not a little guy by any means either (6'-235 lbs) so this technique may not work for everyone.

Envy Lawn Service
08-18-2005, 02:03 AM
I've had all my ZTR's stuck, and even some demos. But I've got them all out by brain power and man handling. Boy I could tell some stories... But, I've never had to resort to winching or towing and I hope I never do.

olderthandirt
08-18-2005, 02:22 AM
hammer stake into ground and wrap a rope around the tire, tie rope to stake and start driving. instant winch, and when your free just drive stake all the way in till its out of site.

Brianslawn
08-18-2005, 02:42 AM
usually push or pull while its in drive, or get other mower off trailer and pull it out with that (someone else post couple weeks ago said 2 z mowers a crew was a waste). we had to use truck couple times and a nearby backhoe once. never had to devise another method but in the situation id probably think of something if all else failed.

topsites
08-18-2005, 03:16 AM
Get another Z to pull it out, it might work. Never really used one. Just a suggestion!!

Actually I ALWAYS have two of stuff like that... Thou I don't have 2 ztr's (I have none) a 52" floatdeck is no joke at 500 lbs., either. No longer using this behemoth, I wouldn't have hesitated back in the days to pull the other one off the trailer and keep on going - Another thing I don't do no more, I only carry one mower with me nowadays.
But believe it or not, the Wb is strong enough to pull a car.

Personally, I think it's a trick 'hahaha' question, except it's not a joke and I find this much like just another problem that will never really happen but when a similar problem happens you still may or may not know the solution.

impactlandscaping
08-18-2005, 08:04 AM
I dunno, Bill. I think Mac may be running the lead of the pack here..lol. I guess if it were you to hypothetically get stuck, you could just pick it up and move it..lol :p I guess I'd try to get some boards(possibly side boards off the flatbed) and make a cross at the rear, lifting the back of the mower up to keep increasing the fulcrum height(firewood, etc..). Then, when the rear tires were high enough, slip a couple more boards under the tires lengthwise, and drive out on the planks in reverse.

OMG
08-18-2005, 08:34 AM
Use jack from truck to jack it up, put board or something under tires and drive out.........

Have used this method many times----that's why I keep a floor jack in my trailer.

P.S. I also always have a chain and two come-alongs. (I've used them several times too)

Green-Pro
08-18-2005, 08:36 AM

Been there done that, not in a fenced back yard though. Had big Z buried, I mean buried toward the bottom of a steep ditch after it had rained the night before, I sort of slid down into it. I had just finished telling employee to be wary of the ditch you could easily get stuck :blush: I had him grab the one of the straps we use to tie down and pull me out iwth the smaller Z, worked perfectly.

I then proceeded to tell him, "see this is what I'm talking about stay away from the ditch dammit!!"

-Geoff

P.S. Think Macs Idea would do the trick to

Nosmo
08-18-2005, 08:40 AM
What I have done before is what I would do. Don't have a Lazer but my garden tractor has been stuck more than once .

I have my safety switch disabled so the engine will run with me even walking along side with it in low gear.

Gotta work pretty fast in the situation about the customer leaving in 45 minutes and locking the fence . I would put the transmission in
reverse after I had found any materials I could slide under the rotating back tire (one rotates and the other will not spin) unless the machine has pos-trac . When that rotating tire grabs it will stop
and then the other wheel will begin spinning. Slide more bark, boards, shingles or whatever you can find under that tire and it should begin backing out.

Then get it out of that swampy back yard . Sure as hell don't want to face the customer and show him his new land fill but he does need to know.

Nosmo

nmurph
08-18-2005, 09:47 AM
when we get our 110hp new holland 4x4 tractors (8k lbs) stuck in the woods, we have great luck by passing a log under the tractor and in front of the rear tires. then we use a chain to secure the log to the tires by passing it through the openings in the wheels and around the log. put it in 1st gear, release the clutch and boomo, it will pop out like a cork. i have never seen the technique fail and i have seen it used on all sizes if tractor, many of which were bogged to the chasis.
i don't know if it will work with a z because there may not be enough clearance, but if you can get the log (a thick stick will work for a z) and have wheels that have some cut-out in them, it is a sure fire method for self-extraction.
btw, oldtimers method with a stake and rope will work, too. but sometimes its impossible to get the stake to stay in the ground and the rope to stay on the tires.

The mayor
08-18-2005, 10:42 AM
This is easy. I would just pick it up and move it.

Rayray
08-18-2005, 10:51 AM
Take the expandend metal ramp off ur trailer if it is not too heavy and u can put it back on by yourself,,slide it under the rear wheels and drive yourself out,,,,,,

Nosmo
08-18-2005, 11:03 AM
We've gotten plenty of solutions and I am gonna keep them in mind if I ever need another method of getting unstuck.

The original problem said what would you do and what you could not use.

Quote: All options are at your disposal, except using your truck, chain, rope and come a long.

PS: I really learned something about the log and tractor tires in the last post.

DEEJ
08-18-2005, 11:38 AM
Nmurph was right on with the log tied to the wheels with a chain method. This method works very well. The last time I used it, the farm tractor's rear wheels fell through the ice in a swamp on a minus 30 degree day. The tractor was sitting on the rear diff. The log technique stood it right up. Just as we were cheering, the whole tractor fell through!!!! Now we had a log chained to the wheels under 3 feet of freezing swamp water. That was a bad day. Ended up using the chainsaws to cut long sections of ice out. Another tractor with a skidder winch dragged the water logged International B275 out of its cold grave.

The only thing I would add to the log method is you have to make sure the rear differential is locked so that both wheels do the exact same thing. My foot slipped off the differential lock pedal once and the tires moved independent of each other. The log and chains twisted on the tires enough that it squeezed one tire and popped it - calcium spraying everywhere - huge mess - not to mention expensive mistake.

The log method is extremely effective - but only works because the tractor is geared low enough to do the lift. Would the hydros on a Z have the power, or would they just complain (or worse cook)? If I tried it, I would certainly use the smallest piece of wood or steel that would do the job - ie a 2x4 instead of a log. I would pay attention to how much strain appeared to be on the hydros.

I have used the "jack it up any way you can and stuff anything and everything under the wheels" method many times with the Z, the farm tractor, and the bulldozer. If the machine has a way of lifting itself (loader, blade, 3 point hitch with down pressure), you are ahead of the game. I have used hardwood pallets and huge timbers under the bulldozer that disappeared into the quag, never to be seen again. With patience, this method works well.

I like the "strap or rope around the tires tied to a stake" method. I question whether the stake would hold, the rope would lock to the tire, and the hydros had the power to turn the wheels in this situation. I have had machines sitting on the belly pan that end up sucked to the mud. It takes a lot of power to overcome the suction effect. This is definitely something I would try though.

The other good suggestion is to bypass the seat switch temporarily so you can get off the machine with it in gear, and push yourself out, or lever yourself out with a 2x4 or such. I have done this a few times and it works well.

Often it takes very little push or pull to assist the wheels in getting you out. There are times though where extreme measures are required!

Tn Lawn Man
08-18-2005, 12:12 PM
The 'Ol Hypothetical Situation

Is this like "My Friend" has a problem?

I really like the stake in the ground self made wench anchor plan. That is using the ol noggin Olderthandirt.

In absence of a mechanical advantage I would get on the phone and call everyone I could think of. I bet 6 to 8 guys could pick it up out of the mud.

MarcSmith
08-18-2005, 12:28 PM
how about keeping a come-along in the truck with a 6' sign post. Drive the sign post into teh ground at an angle, Bam- spot to hook the come-along to.... or better yet, pick up a small danforth style anchor, Probaly easier that the sign post routine....
http://www.boatus-store.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=20002&langId=-1&catalogId=20002&productId=143620
or I guess you could get some of the tree anchor screws to help with a tie down place.
http://www.jimssupply.com/anchors.htm
screw and go.....

If they have been a client for a while, I'm sure they would be more than willing to let you lock up after them, besides I'm sure theyd want the lawn repaired while they are away...I know I would...

alwaysgreener
08-18-2005, 12:34 PM
It becomes a very expensive yard decoration.. just add it to your next month invoice :D

nmurph
08-18-2005, 04:31 PM
yeah, i forgot to mention that it is necessary to lock the differential. as to the point of power, the log and chain method requires very little power. the tractor will pop out with the motor barely above idle. yeah, yeah i know that it is diesel, but the tractor is 8k lbs and i hooked to a 2k lbs Brown Tree Cutter (if you are not familiar with BTC's google it. the will make mince meat out of a 10" oak in nothing flat), in 3 ft of mud. i certainly think that the log trick will work with a z. when the log is tied to the wheel it is picking the mower straight up so there is very little resistance from the mud that is holding it in traction.

6'7 330
08-18-2005, 05:19 PM
If they have been a client for a while, I'm sure they would be more than willing to let you lock up after them, besides I'm sure theyd want the lawn repaired while they are away...I know I would...

It is all hypothetical,these people have an automatic locking system lol.

hammer stake into ground and wrap a rope around the tire, tie rope to stake and start driving. instant winch, and when your free just drive stake all the way in till its out of site.

There is one flaw to your plan mac,remember no ropes,trees or chain.

olderthandirt
08-18-2005, 05:29 PM
The question is, how do you get it unstuck, or in this scenario are you going to be doomed to be without a mower for 5 days? All options are at your disposal,

Guess I would leave it there for the 5 days and just use a differnt Z till I could send someone to get it unstuck.
Or instead of rope a tie down strap would work :p
I'm like an old boy scout "always be prepared" :D

gumper48
08-18-2005, 05:31 PM
6'7,
I get stuck on a regular basis, due to types of customers I've got, and located in sw fla. I carry a hi-lift jack and a piece of 2" pipe about 6' long and between the two I can work it out with out too much delay.
The winch is a good idea except the trees are always "over there", or a fence post is "way over there" .
I use a Lazer z and have it bogged to the hilt all the time.
It aint no fun you just got to git'er done.
Always carry your hi-lift . Jack up the backend and push it over to the left or right which ever the best ground is. Get traction and your on your way. Sometimes you can take the pipe and slide the front end around and get her pointed in another direction and the tires will grab and go (if not burried too deep).
Its a real witch to get stuck, sure is sweet to get out.

hope this helps

gump

LawnBoy89
08-18-2005, 07:40 PM
Push it out cuz you are 6'7 and 330, haha jp, I really don't know what I would do, and if I was in the situation I would be nervous so I wouldn't even be able to think straight.

Tharrell
08-18-2005, 09:16 PM
Anybody tried lowering the tire pressure?
A bag of gravel would be worth a mint in that situation too.

6'7 330
08-18-2005, 09:37 PM
Many of your replies have provided very good but overly complicated solutions. :D

Brianslawn
08-18-2005, 09:50 PM
no rope or chain or come along. easy! one of my crews did it last year when 1 of the walkers slid done a steep ditch. they looped a lot of trimmer line around the frames of that walker and the other walker they had and pulled it up out of the 20' ditch. the guys figured it out and told me when they got back. as for the gate... dont they usually have a button on the inside to open them up after they auto close. the ones ive seen around here do anyways.

olderthandirt
08-18-2005, 09:53 PM
so you want simple huh?
Fire the customer and call the cops and report your mower stolen after they leave. Cops call a tow truck to get the mower out. All damages and cost would become the customers responsability. After that I would take the next 5 days off becoase of emotional distress and sue them for it in civil court along with the damage to my mower and lost income.

Lux Lawn
08-18-2005, 09:56 PM
so you want simple huh?
Fire the customer and call the cops and report your mower stolen after they leave. Cops call a tow truck to get the mower out. All damages and cost would become the customers responsability. After that I would take the next 5 days off becoase of emotional distress and sue them for it in civil court along with the damage to my mower and lost income.

FINAL ANSWER!!!!! :)

6'7 330
08-18-2005, 10:03 PM
so you want simple huh?

Still to complicated lol :D Just pick up the back end and pull it out ...simple lol

olderthandirt
08-18-2005, 10:12 PM
Still to complicated lol :D Just pick up the back end and pull it out ...simple lol
Thats to much work!!!!! And besides I don't get payed enough to get dirty :D

Drew Gemma
08-18-2005, 11:24 PM
do what i did hoked up a tie down to my wb and pulled it out seriously it worked!

hosejockey2002
08-18-2005, 11:51 PM
Still to complicated lol Just pick up the back end and pull it out ...simple lol

That's what I would do if I were 6'7" and weighed 330 pounds. But since I'm only 5'6" and 150 pounds, I was given brains instead of brawn. I wouldn't have gotten the SOB stuck in the first place! :D

But if my brains failed me and I got stuck, I would use what I carry in my truck. I carry two 8 foot 2x4s. I would use one as a lever, utilizing a medium size rock (which most back yards have) as a fulcrum, to lift the rear end of the ZTR. I would find a heavy object (around 100 pounds) to weigh the end of the lever down to hold the ZTR up. I would cut the other 2x4 in half with my folding saw, and use those halves as ramps to put under the drive tires and drive on out.

Pecker
08-18-2005, 11:52 PM
Great ideas. . .some I can't top, so I give. . . what's the answer?

Kelly's Landscaping
08-18-2005, 11:53 PM

It does work I have now done this 4 times my 44 lazer pulls my 60 and 52 inch lazers around like they are not even there.

leadarrows
08-18-2005, 11:56 PM
With out reading any further then the first page. I can pick my DC up one end at a time. So I would walk it out by alternating ends till I was on solid ground.

Other than that if I had a come along just drive a shovel in the ground at an angle away from the mower as far as you can and put the come along on the handle next to the ground and wench it out.

Steppenwolf
08-19-2005, 12:03 AM
Get some flower pots and some ornimental grass around it and leave it:-)

topsites
08-19-2005, 12:07 AM
What I have done before is what I would do. Don't have a Lazer but my garden tractor has been stuck more than once .

I have my safety switch disabled so the engine will run with me even walking along side with it in low gear.

Ahhhh so there are others who've disabled the safety :-)

Same with the mowers nowadays, operator absence usually kills the engine or at least the blades so I, too, have disabled this stupid feature.

topsites
08-19-2005, 12:10 AM
Many of your replies have provided very good but overly complicated solutions. :D

Well hell none of us ever made rocket science out of getting a mower unstuck until you came around and asked us to, lol !

topsites
08-19-2005, 12:13 AM

yup, ha-ha-ha solution, very funny.

I kinda hope you buy a z one day and find you CANT pull it out after you get it stuck and are feeling all smug and secure in your smartness.

efaubert1
08-19-2005, 12:23 AM
6'7" 330,

At 6'2" 281, I could lift it, but I wouldn't. I'd pull the bag of Ag Lime I carry in my truck, for just such purposes in fact, and dump it on the tires and into/around the wheels to harden the surface. Once hardened I would drive it out. Old trick learned while running heavy equipment on construction sites. Worked on a D9 Cat up to the belly, it'll work on a Z.

Envy Lawn Service
08-19-2005, 12:34 AM
Ahhhh so there are others who've disabled the safety :-)

Same with the mowers nowadays, operator absence usually kills the engine or at least the blades so I, too, have disabled this stupid feature.

I have not disabled the feature, but I do have a "jumper wire" I made that I carry in my truck.

6'7 330
08-19-2005, 01:16 AM
yup, ha-ha-ha solution, very funny.

I kinda hope you buy a z one day and find you CANT pull it out after you get it stuck and are feeling all smug and secure in your smartness.

We have not just one but many z-turns. When I was still going out in the field ,sometimes it required the 2 minutes to pick it up and pull it out of the muck.

It is not a question of ,if you are going to have a stuck z-turn during wet periods but when. So maybe the subliminal message was of some value

MarcSmith
08-19-2005, 07:24 AM
It is not a question of ,if you are going to have a stuck z-turn during wet periods but when.

Truer words were never spoken.....

Nosmo
08-19-2005, 08:54 AM
Do you know of anyone who practices levitation ? No ropes , no chains, no comealongs just brainpower.

:D

MarcSmith
08-19-2005, 10:32 AM
Do you know of anyone who practices levitation ? No ropes , no chains, no comealongs just brainpower.
:D

Brain power exhibited by a landscraper. come on.....say it aint so....

Itsgottobegreen
08-19-2005, 11:02 AM
Well I have gotten my stander stuck a few to many times. They are the easiest to get out. Just lean back and grap the controls. Which makes it pull a wheelie. Just ride out on the back wheels. Or stand on the ground and push it with the controls engaged. That works too. :)

Other wise I have a 4x4 kubota tractor with loader. It can pick up a stander completely off the ground. :D Thats really cheating. If not I got 7 JD garden tractors. They can aways pull it out. :p

Pecker
08-19-2005, 11:42 AM
So is that the answer? Pick it pull and pull it out? C'mon! :realmad: payup

lpwhandyman
08-19-2005, 06:03 PM
Got my Z stuck pretty good on a new property. Of course no trees to tie a cum-a-long to. I tried pushing it, while holding down the seat (due to the safety shut off feature) with no luck. I thought, boy it would be great to have someone here to help me. A young kid, probably like 12, but big for his age, came down the road on his bike. I asked him if he'd like to make some quick cash. That's all it took. The smallest bill I had was $10. The best money I spent and boy was he happy. Hope he didn't get in too much trouble when he went home with one dirty sneaker.

Howie's Lawn Care
08-19-2005, 07:12 PM
That's what I would do if I were 6'7" and weighed 330 pounds. But since I'm only 5'6" and 150 pounds, I was given brains instead of brawn. I wouldn't have gotten the SOB stuck in the first place! :D

But if my brains failed me and I got stuck, I would use what I carry in my truck. I carry two 8 foot 2x4s. I would use one as a lever, utilizing a medium size rock (which most back yards have) as a fulcrum, to lift the rear end of the ZTR. I would find a heavy object (around 100 pounds) to weigh the end of the lever down to hold the ZTR up. I would cut the other 2x4 in half with my folding saw, and use those halves as ramps to put under the drive tires and drive on out.

I'm 5'6" and 155 pounds! Man, we have so much in common.

djlawn
08-19-2005, 07:51 PM
The original question said that the gate would be locked for 5 days and you didn't have the right equipment with you. Just ask the customer to let you lock the gate and just go get some extra supplies, equipment, or people to push/pull the Z out.

TClawn
08-19-2005, 09:03 PM
first I would use my traler ramps to jack the Z up, then I
I would look around for some gravel/soil around the customers house and promise to replace it while they are gone.

I like the ag lime idea.

leadarrows
08-19-2005, 09:17 PM
I never used AG lime but when I get the dump truck stuck on a job site I just look around for a bag of mortar mix. Works amazingly well.

brucec32
08-19-2005, 09:43 PM
This is hypothetical situation, youíre a solo operation, and for whatever reason you get, a z-turn stuck in a clients back lawn. You canít get a truck back there, itís farther away then the amount of rope and come along, or you or you donít have a rope with you.

It is stuck up to the axles and to further complicate this scenario, the customer will be hi-tailing out of town in 45 minutes; the property is completely fenced in, and will be locked up tight for 5 days. There is no way you can get to a store to buy a longer rope.

The question is, how do you get it unstuck, or in this scenario are you going to be doomed to be without a mower for 5 days? All options are at your disposal, except using your truck, chain, rope and come a long.

I have an answer what I would do, lets here what some of you would do in this revolting situation

Based on your member name, why not just push it out!

d&dlawnservice
08-19-2005, 10:37 PM
Mower stuck? No problem! I'd just borrow my friend's helo and airlift it out of there. :D

all ferris
08-19-2005, 11:33 PM
I've got a z you couldn't pick up. 72" liquid cooled 31hp 3 cylinder with 17 gallons of gas = 1500 pounds or more. Ferris rates the IS 4500 at something like 1900 pounds (could that be right?) and I have a IS4000 which is about the same size. Let's see you pick that up and move it.
BTW it cost me $42 this morning to fill it up.

6'7 330
08-20-2005, 01:21 AM
I've got a z you couldn't pick up. 72" liquid cooled 31hp 3 cylinder with 17 gallons of gas = 1500 pounds or more. Ferris rates the IS 4500 at something like 1900 pounds (could that be right?) and I have a IS4000 which is about the same size. Let's see you pick that up and move it.

One thousand bucks says, I can lift those back wheels up enough to get that z-turn unstuck.

efaubert1
08-20-2005, 01:32 AM

If I can pick up the back end of a 1966 Karman Ghia and a 1972 Bug, your Z isn't going to be much of a challenge. Your not picking the whole thing up off the ground. 6'7" 330 would have an easier time than me if that's his pic in the avitar.

6'7 330
08-24-2005, 08:46 PM
The guys got a z-turn stuck in a retaining pond at a bank today,it slipped in the edge of the pond lol.I thought about this thread lol.

6'7 330
08-24-2005, 10:18 PM
Almost forgot,the guys called for me to come and get it unstuck,i was gone so my girlfriend went and did the job :cool: :D

yrdandgardenhandyman
08-24-2005, 10:30 PM
Almost forgot,the guys called for me to come and get it unstuck,i was gone so my girlfriend went and did the job :cool: :D

So anyway, what is your answer to the initial question? You said you had a solution.

gorknoids
08-24-2005, 10:43 PM
Can I use my trucks bottle jack?
Can I use the tailgate from either my trailer or truck?
Can I use the spare tire/wheel from my trailer?

First things that need to happen are to get the thing elevated and onto something solid. The jack can do the lifting, and the tailgate of the trailer (expanded steel mesh welded to 90 degree iron stock) will support the unit and provide great traction for driving away. The tailgate of the truck and the spare wheel could be useful for supporting one side or the other if it has to come up one side at a time. Any of these things can be removed in two minutes max unless the round stock holding the trailer gate has been pinned or welded to keep it from sliding out. If you carry a portable air tank (and we all should) and the thing is truly resting on the skid plate, you can deflate the tiressome, pound stuff under them and then re-inflate the tires to gain a couple of inches. Chock and repeat until you run out of air.