PDA

View Full Version : what is this and why can't it be killed?

sailinstud420
08-18-2005, 01:20 PM
I sub out my fert stuff because I don't know anything about it nor do I want the headache. Anyhow, my fert man tells me that this grass cannot be killed, he tells me it is something other than crab grass. Please tell me what you think. He told me what it is but I do not want to bias anyone in anyway, I'll see what you pros think first. For your viewing pleasure here a few nice stripes I layed yesterday...

Ric
08-18-2005, 01:47 PM
I sub out my fert stuff because I don't know anything about it nor do I want the headache. Anyhow, my fert man tells me that this grass cannot be killed, he tells me it is something other than crab grass. Please tell me what you think. He told me what it is but I do not want to bias anyone in anyway, I'll see what you pros think first. For your viewing pleasure here a few nice stripes I layed yesterday...

sailin

Not being a cool season turf guy I maybe wrong. But from the pictures it looks like SEDGE. It appears to be more Sedge than Turf. Sedge is a water loving weed and is neither a Grass or Broad leaf and in classified in a group all to it's own. It grows from nutlets under ground that are in long chains. "Manage" and "Image" are two herbicides that will suppress it. But it takes Years of treatment to finally control it. If even one treatment is missed you lose ground with Sedge. It requires monthly treatment to finally get control. Chemical cost per treatment are over a $ 100 per acre. So maybe your chem guy doesn't want to try and deal with selling the high cost of treatment and lack of success if not done properly.

lawnservice
08-18-2005, 02:09 PM
I'd agree that it looks like yellow nutsedge. (it will have a triangular stem)

it can be controlled (killed) but not with regular fert/herbicide applications. this will take a specialty product (manage does a good job, as already mentioned) and will cost extra.

we have acheved very good control over nutsedge with just a couple of treatments

Ric
08-18-2005, 02:25 PM
I'd agree that it looks like yellow nutsedge. (it will have a triangular stem)

it can be controlled (killed) but not with regular fert/herbicide applications. this will take a specialty product (manage does a good job, as already mentioned) and will cost extra.

we have acheved very good control over nutsedge with just a couple of treatments

Lawn

Florida and New England have many difference. Therefore I maybe wrong about control in Cool Season Turf and tried to qualify my answer as such.

lawnservice
08-18-2005, 04:15 PM
Lawn

Florida and New England have many difference. Therefore I maybe wrong about control in Cool Season Turf and tried to qualify my answer as such.
i understand.
if we have a situation where the lawn is being over watered (rare but we see it from time to time) then several applications will be in order.

but for your run of the mill lawn that is a bit under watered and stressing from heat (seems like FL here this summer hot and humid, cool season grasses really gettin beat up) we've had good control with 2 apps using manage. (it will seem like 100% control after one app....then a few weeks later it explodes again and the second seems to be all thats needed. I assume thats due to our short growing season.)

philk17088
08-18-2005, 04:21 PM
Looks more like tall fescue

lawnservice
08-18-2005, 04:24 PM
pictures are hard to tell. but the first picture, if you look closely, you can see the 'ridge' (or triangle) on the blade of the plant

might have been better to see photos before the mowing was done

SodKing
08-18-2005, 05:08 PM
yellow nut sedge up here would be a brighter green. WHat you have there is Tall Fescue. Corsair would control it though you have to make sure it is registered in your state.

cemars
08-18-2005, 05:21 PM
It looks allot more like a grass than nutsedge to me. The pictures show it recently cut, it would be easier to I.D. when it was a bit taller but I would guess dallas grass or barnyard, either of which can be controlled with repeat apps of MSMA at 10 day intervals.

sailinstud420
08-18-2005, 06:33 PM
some of you got it right, the fert man is telling me it is tall fescue. Is there a way to get rid of that or do you kill and replant like he is telling me?

TOMMY1115
08-18-2005, 06:35 PM
I'll have to agree that it's fescue.
#1 it's in a clump
#2 not lime green
#3 never seen that much nutsedge all in one "clump" like that
#4 Looks like the grass hasn't been mowed for a few days, if it were nutsedge, it would be a few inches taller!

MOW ED
08-18-2005, 07:11 PM
It IS tall fescue. It is a grass. If you want to kill it you can A. paint each leaf with roundup, yes I said paint with an artists paintbrush or B. dig it out and replant the area.

This crap is a huge eyesore in lawns here in Green Bay and there is little you can do to change it. Many complaints from customers but you have to know that the cure is very time consuming or in my terms very expensive to change.

ArizPestWeed
08-18-2005, 07:55 PM
What type of grass is it in??
I'd just spray it with RU and reseed it

SodKing
08-18-2005, 08:00 PM
What type of grass is it in??
I'd just spray it with RU and reseed it

Corsair will work with mixed results. Check to see of it is registered in your area.

Runner
08-18-2005, 08:18 PM
Here's what you do...Here is our trade secret (you guys can't tell anybody, though! LOL)
Mow the area real short. In 2 to 3 days, go back and the tall fescue will be almost twice the height of the regular grass. Use either a wicket or a sponge to wet the leaves iof the higher grass. The fescue will die out while the other grass stays healthy. Sometimes, this has to be done a couple of times. This tall fescue is the Kentucky 31 type. It has real coarse blades and spreads. I hope this helps.

sailinstud420
08-18-2005, 10:34 PM
sounds like a blast to get rid of, too bad the people that have it all over their lawn are too cheap to have it fixed anyways. I guess I just live with it. This is also called nutsedge? It doesn't really seem to grow any faster than the other grass.

nelbuts
08-18-2005, 11:31 PM
The blades looked a little to wide for the sedges we see down here. If it is fescue then can not help you. But arent there lawns with nothing but fescue up north? If so the other grass is very fine and what is it?

GrowinGreeninc
08-18-2005, 11:39 PM
This is dallis grass. It looks absolutly nothing like sedge. too wide for tall fescue very hard to kill takes 2 to 3 msma treatments.

Enviro Green
08-18-2005, 11:46 PM
It looks allot more like a grass than nutsedge to me. The pictures show it recently cut, it would be easier to I.D. when it was a bit taller but I would guess dallas grass or barnyard, either of which can be controlled with repeat apps of MSMA at 10 day intervals.

Dallis is my vote. Listen to cemars. It is not nutsedge, I believe the lawn to be TTTF with TF. MSMA when it is hot, or roundup if you can treat the center.

EG

NattyLawn
08-19-2005, 12:54 AM
Looks like the old type of tall fescue like Runner mentioned.
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/WEEDS/tall_fescue.html

Dallisgrass is not clumpy like that according to the link...

ArizPestWeed
08-19-2005, 01:44 AM
Easy , treat with Glyfosate , let it get as high as possible before , though .

AlpineNaturescapes
08-21-2005, 01:58 AM
Really hard to tell from picture, but first picture looks most like fescue to me - so I believe your fert man.
Chlorsulfuron is a selective herbicide registered for the control of tall fescue in many turf species. Note also that MSMA warns against spraying tall fescue lawns esp in the heat.

sprayman73703
08-22-2005, 01:36 AM
Do not use corsair on any fescue grass it WILL damage it. I use Corsair all the time and if you even edge up to the fescue you can tell. Good Luck!

osc
08-23-2005, 07:00 PM
The grass in the pics looks absolutely nothing like Nutsedge. If you don't believe it the come back 2-3 days after you mow. If it's Nutsedge, it will be 4-6 inches higher than the rest of the lawn and yellowish green.
Your pics really could be closer but it looks like Kentucky 31 Tall Fescue.
For sedge use a product called Manage. For K-31, I don't know, Glyphosate or hand eradication, possible Mexican backhoe.

PSUturf
08-24-2005, 11:56 PM
I'm not sure if they still carry it but years ago Lesco had a product called TFC (a.i. chlorsulfuron I think). It's a sulfonyl urea herbicide that will selectively remove tall fescue from Kentucky bluegrass. I think it also injured or killed perennial ryegrass.

tremor
08-28-2005, 07:38 PM
TFC (Tall Fescue Control) is no longer produced but Corsair is the same active.

This is a cute thread. The disgruntled homeowner has litmus tested his applicator by testing the boards most active members. Almost funny if Sailor weren't so sneaky about it.

Hey Sailor, Bite the bullet & have the guy use Roundup (or whatever Glyphosate stuff suits his fancy). Yes, you will have brown spots in your lawn until the new seed pops. So what?

If brown spots really bother you then seed the spots first. Spray some homeowner RTO Glyphosate right over the seed. (Yes - You read that correctly) In several days the Perennial Rye seed will be coming up & the Tall fescue will be dying.

PS....Not responsible for the illegal yet effective off label use of Glyphosate containing stuff.

lordohturf
08-31-2005, 12:49 AM
If you like to keep your hair, turn around, walk away and allow the Fescue to grow.

If you want to pull your hair out while trying to control this problem, spray corsair, spray roundup or other Tall Fescue controls, then plan to keep doing it on this lawn until either you lose the account or you commit yourself to the asylum.

In a large lawn with small patches of Fescue scattered around, there will always be an area where Tall Fescue either recovers from the control or the very small, unnoticed plant becomes more visible.

Good luck.

rob1325
09-01-2005, 12:06 AM
Looks more like tall fescue

Like he said.

westwind
09-01-2005, 08:39 AM
try using "drive" it is a lesco product. also kills crabgrass, barnyard, and nutsedge.

tremor
09-01-2005, 05:57 PM
Drive doesn't control Tall Fescue.

bobbygedd
09-01-2005, 06:59 PM
who said sedge? HA HA HA HA HA, amatuer!

qps
09-02-2005, 12:08 AM
Here's what you do...Here is our trade secret (you guys can't tell anybody, though! LOL)
Mow the area real short. In 2 to 3 days, go back and the tall fescue will be almost twice the height of the regular grass. Use either a wicket or a sponge to wet the leaves iof the higher grass. The fescue will die out while the other grass stays healthy. Sometimes, this has to be done a couple of times. This tall fescue is the Kentucky 31 type. It has real coarse blades and spreads. I hope this helps.

Off topic but do you know why it's called Kentucky 31??? It was developed in 1931...that's some old grass :)

Runner
09-17-2005, 11:09 PM
Now THIS is cool! I did NOT know this! There's an interesting "tidbit" of information...