PDA

View Full Version : Who Would You Spend The Most Time With As A Dealer?

MMLawn
08-18-2005, 09:02 PM
Lets say you are a commercial mowing equipment dealer that sells the hottest brand (XYZ Mowers) of mowers currently on the market. You are on the sales floor on a Monday and you are the only sales person there because your other salesmen are in training say. You look up and the four "levels" of potential buyers below walk through your doors all looking at new ZTR mowers. None of them are prior buyers, but through conversation and/or prior knowledge you know their "levels". Would you spend more time and effort in selling with one than the other? If so which one would you spend the most time and effort on and why? If you did is this fair?

#1) Fulltime LCO owner whose business is well known in the area.

#2) Part-time small LCO owner.

#3) Early Teenage (under 18) Year old Neighbohood boy.

#4) Homeowner

hole in one lco
08-18-2005, 09:07 PM
take them all as a group and show them what you mower can do for all of them at ones and make 4 sales.

MMLawn
08-18-2005, 09:09 PM
take them all as a group and show them what you mower can do for all of them at ones and make 4 sales.

ah...but not possible because each will have different applications for the equipment and probably also different needs....

hole in one lco
08-18-2005, 09:10 PM
If i was the lco . Id hire the kid get the homeowner as a customer buy a mower and go home

hole in one lco
08-18-2005, 09:13 PM
ah...but not possible because each will have different applications for the equipment and probably also different needs....
first come first served

1MajorTom
08-18-2005, 09:16 PM
If I was a dealer, and my family was depending on me to make the sales so we could eat, I would first spend time with #1. That would be in my mind, the best chance of a sale. Of course there are always exceptions, but I would take my chances with #1 first. Is this fair to the other 3 people standing there waiting too? No, but life isn't always fair.
Of course mmlawn, this was the answer you were fishing for right? ;)

MMLawn
08-18-2005, 09:26 PM
If I was a dealer, and my family was depending on me to make the sales so we could eat, I would first spend time with #1. That would be in my mind, the best chance of a sale. Of course there are always exceptions, but I would take my chances with #1 first. Is this fair to the other 3 people standing there waiting too? No, but life isn't always fair.
Of course mmlawn, this was the answer you were fishing for right? ;)

"Fishing", Now my feelings are hurt Esteemed Mrs. MOD :cry:

I see it as a very legitmate question that probably happens more than we realize. Yes, I know what I would do and why and you hit on "part" of it but there is more to who and why I would approach than just the sale. Hum....who and what reason could that be?

Lux Lawn
08-18-2005, 09:29 PM
"Fishing", Now my feelings are hurt Esteemed Mrs. MOD :cry:

I see it as a very legitmate question that probably happens more than we realize. Yes, I know what I would do and why and you hit on "part" of it but there is more to who and why I would approach than just the sale. Hum....who and what reason could that be?

Its always nice to have the big company's running around town with YOUR mowers on their trailers.

OMG
08-18-2005, 09:32 PM
#2.....#1 already has a dealer and may not be willing to change.

#2 is looking for a dealer for life.

#3 & #4 will probably be a less profitable customer than #2.

Kelly's Landscaping
08-18-2005, 09:36 PM
Hands down #1 if I do not get that treatment you lose me and while I am not huge I do spend 25-40k a year at my dealer. Which is why he even stayed there to midnight this year so I could pick up my new mowers as soon as he had them built and have them for the next cutting day. In my personal business I do not like having to kiss up to any of my customers but this is a completely different game there are not that many guys buying Lazer XS mowers so I would think you would have to go to who puts food on your table. Say you take my area there are 245 landscapers listed in the yellow pages this is a book of 30 some odd towns though. How many of them can even afford new mowers perhaps 100 and now you need to get them to spend it with you at your dealership one of them is worth 20-100 smaller customers.

The other guys you listed look at the price and go from place to place they think its so much money and debate if they should or shouldn’t do it. For a me its not even in question just today my personal crew me and one 11 an hour guy 12 hour day broke 800 dollars in cuts that does not include the 700 dollars my partners crew took in. what’s 8-10k for a new 60 inch mower when you can pay for one in 2 weeks of cutting. Now if you are not serious in to lawn care it may take you most of the year to pay for that mower so you are a much weaker sales lead.

olderthandirt
08-18-2005, 09:40 PM
#1 repeat business in the future

MMLawn
08-18-2005, 09:42 PM

DING...DING...DING!! Look at the brain on my buddy Mac!

Lux Lawn
08-18-2005, 09:43 PM

That was the other thing I was thinking about along with service on all of the machine's they already own.

MMLawn
08-18-2005, 09:43 PM
Very good points!!

Hands down #1 if I do not get that treatment you lose me and while I am not huge I do spend 25-40k a year at my dealer. Which is why he even stayed there to midnight this year so I could pick up my new mowers as soon as he had them built and have them for the next cutting day. In my personal business I do not like having to kiss up to any of my customers but this is a completely different game there are not that many guys buying Lazer XS mowers so I would think you would have to go to who puts food on your table. Say you take my area there are 245 landscapers listed in the yellow pages this is a book of 30 some odd towns though. How many of them can even afford new mowers perhaps 100 and now you need to get them to spend it with you at your dealership one of them is worth 20-100 smaller customers.

The other guys you listed look at the price and go from place to place they think its so much money and debate if they should or shouldn’t do it. For a me its not even in question just today my personal crew me and one 11 an hour guy 12 hour day broke 800 dollars in cuts that does not include the 700 dollars my partners crew took in. what’s 8-10k for a new 60 inch mower when you can pay for one in 2 weeks of cutting. Now if you are not serious in to lawn care it may take you most of the year to pay for that mower so you are a much weaker sales lead.

vipermanz
08-18-2005, 09:45 PM
#2.....#1 already has a dealer and may not be willing to change.

#2 is looking for a dealer for life.

#3 & #4 will probably be a less profitable customer than #2.
The dealer i was working at has tiered pricing levels, Consumers and Commercial customers in the computers marked with asterisks(*) recieved the highest level Tier 1, Tier 2 would be would be for people that are frequent, Tier 3 is for extremely good commercial or friends of employees that get the lowest price.
it's totally the oppsite of what most people think when you are on the other side of the counter.

Precision
08-18-2005, 10:18 PM
I bought some oem blades the other day from my dealer for my Scag. List price 23.99 my price 12.99. If that was a homeowner I Know it would have been 22.00 or more. He does the same with all the equipment. I have never paid list or his sticker price. No haggling needed.

I bring all my service there. Have bought 2 small mowers, 10 pieces of stick equipment and a ZTR all this year. I am sure that has something to do with it.

dvmcmrhp52
08-18-2005, 10:31 PM
#1 and #2 both have the same potential.
#1 probably has a dealer and is fishing, after all, he hasn't bought any equipment from you yet...........
#2 has just as much potential as #1 for the time being because he's just getting established and good service could win him over.

Coin toss.

Kelly's Landscaping
08-21-2005, 03:41 PM
#1 and #2 both have the same potential.
#1 probably has a dealer and is fishing, after all, he hasn't bought any equipment from you yet...........
#2 has just as much potential as #1 for the time being because he's just getting established and good service could win him over.

Coin toss.

Na number 1 is proven and has become a force in our trade number 2 has not and odds are against him yes many of you have been number 2 and grown but honestly you all know a lot of them that either just stayed as part time or just finally gave up and faded away. So while the potential is there it is not the same as number one until he has become number 1.

On the point made about the full time guy already having his own dealer this is probably true but I know I do not go into new dealerships for the fun of it. I only go looking when I want to switch dealers as I am way beyond price comparisons and if I did show up at your dealership then it would be advisable to jump and try to get me to switch before I walk out that door perhaps forever.

lawnman_scott
08-21-2005, 04:37 PM
I think its obvious it should go 1234.

lawnmaniac883
08-21-2005, 06:41 PM
#1 is obviously the first priority, however, try and work through all of the customers. Ask periodically if they need assistance but dont blow one off to help another.

HighGrass
08-21-2005, 07:33 PM
Sorry...can't answer that. My dealer was on vacation for 2 weeks. :angry:

waffletown20
08-21-2005, 07:59 PM
#1 and #2, there will be a higher turnover of sales. A new mower every two years is more profitable. However, if you treat #3 right, once they do grow as all companys do, they will return to you and buy a lot of equipment. Homeowners aren't that critical unless they have a monster property.

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger
08-21-2005, 09:14 PM
once they do grow as all companys do,
ERROR, ERROR, Your facts are uncoordinated. Only a percentage survive. :p

Pecker
08-21-2005, 09:45 PM
If I were being helped by the salesman and he comletely blows me off to go wait hand and foot over the #1 guy, do you think I would be back? Do you think I wouldn't go out of my way to tell everyone I come into contact with what dealer to not go to?

The #1 guy may spend lots of his dough at the dealer, but lawn guys don't usually stop and chat with other lawn guys about the great service at their local dealer (which all but elininates word of mouth advertisement - the least expensive and most significant). On the other hand, the homeowner has friends, family, and neighbors to tell about the great service. FYI, people are 7 times more likely to relate a negative experience (with a store, restaurant, your lawn services, etc.) than they are a positive one.

IMO, the successful dealer will honor first come, first served. However, he should also personally greet everyone who walks into the store by acknowledging them which lets them know they are important to him, and tell them he will be with them shortly (no reasonable person minds if the salesman briefly turns to greet another customer; this also goes for the homeowner who is taking his time in contemplating the new mower when the #1 guy walks in and needs 5 minutes of service - the salesman should tend to #1 but keep it brief). If thats not possible, he needs to call for someone out of the back to come help out (I don't care if he's short-handed, even the mechanic can offer minor advice or at least help the people who are just there to buy a spool of string, etc.).

Bottom line, everyone deserves to be treated with respect and that's not hard to do. payup

stumper1620
08-22-2005, 12:14 AM
If I were being helped by the salesman and he comletely blows me off to go wait hand and foot over the #1 guy, do you think I would be back? Do you think I wouldn't go out of my way to tell everyone I come into contact with what dealer to not go to?

The #1 guy may spend lots of his dough at the dealer, but lawn guys don't usually stop and chat with other lawn guys about the great service at their local dealer (which all but elininates word of mouth advertisement - the least expensive and most significant). On the other hand, the homeowner has friends, family, and neighbors to tell about the great service. FYI, people are 7 times more likely to relate a negative experience (with a store, restaurant, your lawn services, etc.) than they are a positive one.
IMO, the successful dealer will honor first come, first served. However, he should also personally greet everyone who walks into the store by acknowledging them which lets them know they are important to him, and tell them he will be with them shortly (no reasonable person minds if the salesman briefly turns to greet another customer; this also goes for the homeowner who is taking his time in contemplating the new mower when the #1 guy walks in and needs 5 minutes of service - the salesman should tend to #1 but keep it brief). If thats not possible, he needs to call for someone out of the back to come help out (I don't care if he's short-handed, even the mechanic can offer minor advice or at least help the people who are just there to buy a spool of string, etc.).

Bottom line, everyone deserves to be treated with respect and that's not hard to do. payup
I say ding ding ding to this,
this was my opinion also, I do not expect nor would i accept being put on a pedestal, yes, I am spending more than the others, but, right is right, a dealer should make contact with all and try to get an assistant to help the least likely sale, and he should tend to the others in the order that they came in.

cantoo
08-22-2005, 12:30 AM
#1 isn't going to waste time asking questions about a mower I'm sure he is already interested in or he wouldn't be there. He will want a quick price and a few minutes to decide on his own. Go over to him, tell him the price, hand him the keys and tell him to take a test drive out back. Go to #2 and #3 separetley and tell them to go out back for a few minutes to watch an expert put the mower thru it's paces. Then spend a few minutes with #4 the homeowner and tell him he can save some money and buy some leisure time by buying a commercial mower like the pros out back are using. Give everyone enough attention to keep them interested.

stumper1620
08-22-2005, 12:36 AM
#1 isn't going to waste time asking questions about a mower I'm sure he is already interested in or he wouldn't be there. He will want a quick price and a few minutes to decide on his own. Go over to him, tell him the price, hand him the keys and tell him to take a test drive out back. Go to #2 and #3 separetley and tell them to go out back for a few minutes to watch an expert put the mower thru it's paces. Then spend a few minutes with #4 the homeowner and tell him he can save some money and buy some leisure time by buying a commercial mower like the pros out back are using. Give everyone enough attention to keep them interested.
LOL, beat my opinion all to he!!, must be a saleman? what a perfect way to address the situation. :D

cantoo
08-22-2005, 01:08 AM
I sell houses part time. I have tons of calls and emails everyday and don't have time to deal with them all at once. Stall, stall, stall, take a breath and prioritize everyone.
A bird in hand is worth two in the bush but there's nothing wrong with keeping an eye on the two in the bush while you reload.