PDA

View Full Version : Successfully installed grease fittings on spindle housings.

jbell113
08-18-2005, 08:05 PM
This spindle housing grease fitting issue has really bothered me. I took my spindle housings off and took the bearings out cause they were roaring very loudly. Installed the fittings and pumped them full of grease to the point where grease was forced out of the bearings. You could see the old grease oozing out of the bearings. When I took the bearings out the housing was bone dry not a drop of grease, where it goes I have no idea but it has to go out though the bearings when it heats up. Put them back on and now its quiet when it runs. Just wanted to let whoever is interested in making the bearing last longer know that it can be done. GOOD LUCK

Roger
08-18-2005, 09:11 PM
"... roaring very loudly ....," "... bone dry not a drop of grease..."

And, you put the old bearings back in the housing ... right?

If the bearing was dry, what was the "old grease?" "... oozing out of the bearings" after greasing it implies the seal was broken because of excessive grease.

Can you explain to us why you installed the old bearings?

Primary question: Were the bearings loose? The "roaring" is a good clue. If they were "dry," then most likely they were loose and needed replacing. And, if they were worn out before installing the grease fittings and the new grease, they will still be worn out after you did the install and the greasing.

What am I missing here?