PDA

View Full Version : Gas prices & Mowing fees

harry beaver
08-18-2005, 09:47 PM
Just curious how everyone is planning on recovering the extra cost of gasoline etc. Here in NC gas today is 2.59.9. It has trippled in the past 3 years, with lawn mowing prices staying virtually the same. One of my accounts is a 5 acre Church lawn with a cemetery of around 40 stones. I mow, trim. edge sidewalks and parking lot, and blow off all the above. What kind of money should they be paying? Just curious what other parts of the country are charging.

D Fricks
08-18-2005, 10:11 PM
Here in Ga. we try to make 60.00 per hour but not always this area Im in is 90 miles north of atlanta Started increasing prices this week gas is 267 here

djlawn
08-18-2005, 10:42 PM
Is that $60.00 per man hour or 2 man crew.

willretire@40
08-18-2005, 11:00 PM
per man hour

djlawn
08-18-2005, 11:05 PM
That's what I thought, just makin sure though. I try to get $1/min which equates to $60.00 per man hour.

MrFangs
08-18-2005, 11:18 PM
ok, enough about the gas prices. as stated in a precious thread, they really don't make a huge difference.

ProLawns
08-18-2005, 11:24 PM
I just did a price increase on eight customers who were over due. That will bring in $35.50 more per week which will more than cover the gas increase. Gas is $2.49 here. You could add a $1 per week gasoline surcharge to every customer if they're not due for a price increase anytime soon.

Tharrell
08-19-2005, 06:31 AM
I raised most of mine a buck and the weekly increase is enough to cover my fuel increase.
I'm sure most have done it.
The .405 that we get from the IRS should be increased when fuel jumps like it has recently.

alwaysgreener
08-19-2005, 07:34 AM
Are you kidding us fangs? you better have a gas budget unless you are using all electric tools. sounds like your solo operation

harry beaver
08-20-2005, 02:55 PM
I have a solo operation. I mow with a Turf Tiger 61 in cut, 27 hp liquid cooled kaw. Yesteray, I put 9.00 worth of fuel in it alone after mowing the 5 acre church grounds. If I bust my hump mowing/trimming/blowing/edging, it will take me 5 hours to "get er done". 60.00 X 5 = 300 I only wish I was getting half that. There seems to be no shortage of people willing do it for 30 per hour and less around here. Oh well just venting today.... Too hot to mow. :)

Shuter
08-20-2005, 03:51 PM
I am letting the customers know on the Sept bill, that in Oct the price will be increased for weekly maintenance due to the rise in energy costs.

harry beaver
08-21-2005, 03:00 PM
It's about time to renegociate my contract on the 5 acre project. I will be increasing it was well as my others, due to the higher energy costs. I have noticed that the cost of repairs & parts have increased as well. Most customers will understand, and those that don't have the option of doing it themselves. The OPEC countries have us all by the short hairs and they know it. George W's family being in the oil business isn't helping either....

HighGrass
08-21-2005, 03:07 PM
I am using the $1/minute rule and then watching my consumption over the next two months. Then I'll take whatever increase in gas, multiply that times the gallons consumed and then double that to figure out the increase for next year. I figure that way, I'll have a bit of a pad to start the spring with. Of course that could all change when I take a look at prices in the spring. Oh and don't forget oil and truck fuel as well! payup

topsites
08-21-2005, 03:15 PM
Just curious how everyone is planning on recovering the extra cost of gasoline etc. Here in NC gas today is 2.59.9. It has trippled in the past 3 years, with lawn mowing prices staying virtually the same. One of my accounts is a 5 acre Church lawn with a cemetery of around 40 stones. I mow, trim. edge sidewalks and parking lot, and blow off all the above. What kind of money should they be paying? Just curious what other parts of the country are charging.

How is 2.59 triple of what, you figuring the LOW price after 9/11 when the planes stopped flying due to ppl being afraid then that is not fair! Around here prices are 2.75 - 2.80 for bp premium but that certainly is not triple anything I've paid over the past 20 years except perhaps that 6 month timeframe past 9/11 when premium was like $1.15 for a bit and still triple of that would be $3.45 !

In addition my fuel consumption today is less than half what it was 3.5 years ago and that makes up for a lot of it and if you are not using less fuel today than you were using when gas was cheap then you are contributing to the problem and really have no right to complain.

I *AM* raising prices effective now but it is as much if not more in response to a BIG 2-thousand dollar advertising campaign which increases my demand considerably and really you can forget the price of fuel but yes it is the other part of the reason.

Finally, all my equipment WITH the truck consumes an average of one gallon of fuel / yard so I don't really see what all this ado is over a minor increase of $1.50 over anything I've paid since I first started driving in 1985.

Far as I'm concerned ppls need to start conserving fuel as of yesterday but everyday I see absolutely no sign of any respect towards the prices other than I hear the complaints but to be quite blunt, it serves them right and I hope the price of gas goes up some more and I mean a LOT more. But you see, the government knows all this and all that's really going on is the price of fuel is stabilizing itself to account for inflation which means it SHOULD be around $3.05 /gallon or so and has a little ways to go in order to compensate for the 20-year oil embargo declared after the fuel shortage of the 70's which prevented the price of fuel to go past a certain point for a long time and which expired in the year 2000 where if you do your research you will see that is when prices first started to rise past any point we've seen since 1980.

And all the crap about the refineries and supply / demand is exactly that: crap. If there were such a shortage, there would be NO fuel at least at some gas stations, even if sporadically.

gl1200a
08-22-2005, 07:24 PM
When last year started I charged a $2 fuel excise when gas was over $1.50 here. It stayed above that this year so I absorbed the $2 into their normal hourly charge. Then when it went above $2.00 per gallon I added two more dollars per hour for another fuel excise and went to $4.00 per hour above $2.50 per gallon as it is now. I won't go any higher unless it really spikes after this though.

I have a seperate column on their monthly bill that shows a heading of fuel excise and the amount itemized on their bill for each mowing and have no complaints at all. They are the end comsumer, not me.

jtrice11
08-23-2005, 01:18 PM

Everyone needs to get on board and raise their prices for next years contracts, politely explaining the reality of the gas price increases.

mowmasteruk
08-23-2005, 06:14 PM
You guys don't know how lucky you are. Gas prices in my part of the world are £4.14 per gallon, that $7.45 per gallon in your money. Except we call it petrol!