PDA

View Full Version : Red Max 8000 or Stihl BR600?

mkwl
08-18-2005, 11:25 PM
I am looking into getting a big BP blower for fall leaf cleanups in addition to my Little Wonder 10HP, Mighty Mac 8HP, and Stihl BR320 blowers. I primarily use my Little Wonder and Stihl, since the Mighty Mac is nowhere even close to the power of my Little Wonder. My Stihl is good and reliable, but I'd like something more powerful for blowing out shrub beds with lots of leaves, and in hard to reach areas. So which is better?- Red Max 8000 or Stihl BR600?

iluvscag
08-18-2005, 11:44 PM
I would get the Redmax. :)

mkwl
08-19-2005, 12:11 PM
Anyone else?

Howie's Lawn Care
08-19-2005, 12:45 PM
What about the Shindaiwa EB630RT? Out of those two, I say Redmax.

Jamesgateslandscaping
08-19-2005, 12:48 PM
Red max, I love my 2 7001, amazing power. Rumor has it that the 8000 will plow patio blocks...I will find out when I buy one this fall :cool: .

Richard Martin
08-19-2005, 01:53 PM
I will be buying a Stihl BR600 as soon as leaf season starts. It's numbers are actually better than the Redmax and Stihl equpment has given me good service over the years.

MTR
08-19-2005, 02:31 PM
Looking to buy BR 600 sometimes this year, but still just like you, trying to wait longer for more info and experience. I am more of BR 600 since all my tools are mostly Stihl and they are so reliable and great.

John Gamba
08-19-2005, 02:33 PM
I will be buying a Stihl BR600 as soon as leaf season starts. It's numbers are actually better than the Redmax and Stihl equpment has given me good service over the years.

Mr Martin

I do think you will like the 600 :D

John

rthacker
10-06-2005, 02:30 PM
I just purchased the BR600. I never thought I would purchase another Stihl product (except their chain saws). I owned a BR340 for several years and it has severed me well except it is so hard to start somtimes.

So when it came to purchase a new blower this year I didn't even consider Stihl. From reading the posts on this site I was going to look at Red Max's EBZ 7001/EB630 or the EBZ 8000. So when I went to the dealer I had him gas both above models so I could try them out.

First I tried the EBZ 7001. This blower was very powerful,light,and comfortable. The only con I had with the blower is that it appeared cheaply built. I know that the blower will last from the great reviews from the post, but it just for some reason felt cheap.

Second I tried the EBZ 8000. This blower was alot stronger than the EBZ 7001, but was kind of heavy. Again the blower just seemed cheap, but I trusted the people on this site that it would last.

So I decided to purchase the EBZ 8000. Just before purchasing the EBZ 8000, I thought since I was thier I would try the BR600.

So I went outside and started the blower. The blower started on the first pull even without priming (I couldn't believe this was a Stihl product). I put the blower on and without question was the most comfortable blower I have ever used. I put the BR600 through the same test as the Red Max products. The BR600 was alot more powerful than the 7001 and was tied with the 8000 as far as power, but as for control and comfort the BR600 won hands down. The build quality also went to Stihl. This blower can be decieving because it is so quiet.

I couldn't believe it, but I ended up leaving the store with the BR600 ( The blower was also on sale from $469.99 to $439.99) . I couldn't get over the build quality, price, or the power to weight ratio.

I know Shindaiwa is coming out with their EB8510. And everything I own is Shindaiwa, but I believe the EB8510 is going to very similar to the EBZ 8000. The BR600 is going to hard to beat.

This is my first reply to this great site. I want to thank you all for the great reviews and infromation. I'm currently a State Trooper in Georgia and doing lawn care part time.

Toro 23hp/48" Z453-great mower, but looking at the newer Triton decks.
T-230
T-260
LE260
JX75
and now a BR600

lawnmaniac883
10-06-2005, 07:13 PM
Love my Redmax8000, after first start of the day it ALWAYS starts on first pull. Wonderful machine with a sh!tload of power.

IRISHGARDA
10-06-2005, 07:43 PM
BR600 - Bought one two months ago. light,comfortable,powerful as my redmax. "quiet" I just love the machine.

biglawndog
10-06-2005, 07:44 PM
Stay away from the 8000, all the kinks aren't worked out yet! :nono:

stevesmowing
10-06-2005, 07:49 PM
I have a redmax 8000 and its a good blower. Stronger than the shindaiwa eb630 I have. It is big and heavy though. I am very interested to see what the shindaiwa eb8510 brings.

John Gamba
10-06-2005, 08:16 PM
The other day, I used 87 octane in the br600(about two tanks) a noticeable deferents in power loss was felt.

When i went back to 89 it got stronger and the revs where faster from idle to max.

John

dcplace2004
10-06-2005, 08:53 PM
"Stihl" having problems with mine...I know it is a great blower, but I just got a lemon...the dealer is giving me the go around saying that if I keep using it their may be a warranty issue, to which I added that for 500 dollars, there should not have been anything on it broken, being brand new and all. I said that it was messed up from the start and if anything there should never be an issue with me on warranty...they will not give me a loaner and I asked him if they were going to supply me the money for the money lost while my blower is in for repair...I did not hear anything after that but silence on the other end of the phone...Some people right from the start cannot just bring in their equipment until they have backups...THIS THING IS BRAND NEW WITH LITTLE HOURS! To be honest, I want a new blower and may keep on them until I get one cause this is ridiculous...it is blowing smoke constantly even with the carb screws correctly (which the dealer could not even do properly--I had to call Stihl and the high is set 3.5 turns open and the low is set 2 turns--that is with the limiter caps broken like mine), the limited caps are broken, the trigger is messed up (I had to rig it to work properly), the thing has lost power and they want to tell me that there may be a warranty issue? Give me a dogdamned break...Heck, the redmax 8000 is a broke-dik machine also...do they make things like they used to anymore?

mkwl
10-06-2005, 08:55 PM
I think I've decided on the Red Max EB7001.

ITL
10-06-2005, 10:28 PM
First I will say both BR600 and EBZ 8000 are good choices but after having the Redmax EBZ8000 for one year and moving into the second leaf season I would still pick the Redmax. I like the simple 2 cycle over the more complex 4 cycle and the possible valve adjustments with the Stihl. The Stihl advantage would be less weight and smaller. The Redmax Stratocharged engine delivers exceptional power with good fuel economy due to scavinging the burnt exhaust with air only. The stratocharged design has saved fuel and kept up with emissions. As a side benefit the manual allows 87 (R+M/2) octane fuel on the Redmax as opposed the Stihls requirement of 89 (R+M/2) so I save fuel money with the redmax products over the stihls products. I have tried the higher grades of fuel without any improvement. None of the Redmax, Toro/Suzuki, Lawnboy 2 cycles I have seem to care so why waste my money. Reduced cost = increased profits payup

rob1325
10-06-2005, 11:03 PM
I have many Redmaxx's 7001 and love them. I had to replace acouple of burned out blowers and had same problem. I did buy three new redmaxx 7001 and one Stihl 600. I am trying the 600 this year to see how well it does. Only thing did not like about 600 is they are still using the springs for vibration. I remember on the old 420's they would break alot. I did not buy the Redmaxx 8000 because way to heavy IMO.

dcplace2004
10-06-2005, 11:49 PM
I have and I was pleased...I am not sure how the redmax 8000 does with leaves cause my demo did not involve leaves...Say you have some clumped leaves or decomposing leaves on the asphalt of a parking lot--how does the redmax do with this?...does it peel them up easily or do you have to get right up on the stuff?...I used mine in the rain on pine needles on asphalt and it did pretty good...It also did pretty good on large amounts of leaves...I may wait for Redmax to come out with a better model, then I will buy Redmax...After using the Stihl for a season, I have "4" mixed emotions...Next year, I may go redmax and use my Stihl as backups...I always have to learn the hard way...2 cycle is simple, easy to repair, and has a good running track record...it is proven technology...as long as EPA does not affect redmax to go hybrid 4 mix, then I may look into them next year...Wonder if Stihl used a stepped tube if it would make their blower more powerful, instead of that bullet end?

John Gamba
10-07-2005, 11:28 AM
I just blow very wet grass with my br600 :D I'm very impressed with this blower :D

I will wait on the other blowers till the middle of next year. I can see this br600 will do an excellent job for what i bought it for,Blowing grass,blowing out leaves from bushes to close to the windows on houses and it is very comfortable :waving:

John

dcplace2004
10-07-2005, 01:36 PM
is over...anything better than the Redmax 8000 or Stihl BR600 with their newer models will only be icing on the cake...I would like to see a 3.5 to 4 inch tube opening with 900 cfm at the pipe with 220 mph...tube design needs to be researched more extensively (stepped tapered tube or straight tube to the end with end taper)...it NEEDS a grounding wire like Stihl has inside the tube for anti-static shock (low humidity in my area)...it needs to have all the internal components COVERED such as fuel lines and throttle controls (I like the dial design)...IMPELLER design needs to be perfected...It needs to be light, streamlined, and have a large fuel tank...This thing needs to be able to blow large AREA...one should be able to knock a pile of wet and partly decomposed leaves into the middle of next week...large piles of pine needle should be no problem...piles of pine cones should fly and stick in trees from the velocity...I think Gamba says it best when he says that both blowers serve their purpose with different applications...next year I will have the best of both worlds and hopefully the redmax will come out with a better model blower...the only thing is how will the demand be on this blower?...people are already crying about the weight, and the buck 0 five lightweights might not stand a chance with 900 cfm and a 4 inch pipe...perhaps they have gone as far as they can go with power but lets hope not...I want a blower I have to really lean into...how bout two impellers with dual pipes, one for each arm for better balance?

Richard Martin
10-07-2005, 04:50 PM
"Mr Scott, I need more power"

"I'm giving you all she's got Captain, she's got no more"

I think without going to turbos or a ProCharger the power to cubic inch ratio is getting close to maxed out. The Stihl is already making over 1 horsepower per cubic inch. Hell, if I could get that out of my 5-oh I'd be turning low 12s instead of high 13s.

premierlawncare
10-07-2005, 05:18 PM
What about the shindawa vs. the RedMax. I am buying 2 new blowers tomorrow. I am stuck between the shindawa 1 year warrenty (dealer closer to my route) and redmax (2 year warrenty).

Price on shindawa S630 is $399
Redmax 7001 is $409

John Gamba
10-07-2005, 05:30 PM
"Mr Scott, I need more power"

"I'm giving you all she's got Captain, she's got no more"

I think without going to turbos or a ProCharger the power to cubic inch ratio is getting close to maxed out. The Stihl is already making over 1 horsepower per cubic inch. Hell, if I could get that out of my 5-oh I'd be turning low 12s instead of high 13s.

If sthil can get the power out of a 20Lb blower, just think what power a 25Lber would be :laugh:

Richard Martin
10-07-2005, 10:41 PM
If sthil can get the power out of a 20Lb blower, just think what power a 25Lber would be :laugh:

I could probably get 9s out of the 5-oh with a 25 pound blower if the block didn't split in two. ;)

lawnmaniac883
10-07-2005, 11:13 PM
dcplace, more power could easily be made, but weight becomes a very large factor. People on here are worried about a measily 25lbs on their back, hell, to put out 900cfm at 200 mph you would need a massiave blower, it would be heavy as hell and they would only sell a few.

Darryl G
10-15-2005, 11:57 PM
Weight is no object for me. I can walk around with 50 lbs on my back all day. Are you guys landscapers or wimps?

I wear 2 EB630's, one on my back and one on my chest and put out 1200+ CFM. Works best if you move them back and forth in opposite directions so they cross in the middle with each wave. Sometimes I'll even run the Billy Goat 10HP at the same time as the 2 BPs.

Turfdude
10-16-2005, 12:02 PM
MKWL,

I would also suggest that you check w/ the mechanics at your dealer. A lot of times they can give you the pros and cons on the 2 units side by side. They are the ones who have to do the repair work and will tell you what is well built and or shoddily built on the units in question. My dealer sells echo & redmax. I use redmax exclusively. My dealer loves the 7001, but does sell the 8000. I have used an 8000. The power is definately much more than the 7001. I did notice a weight difference which may be a problem w/ smaller guys. If someone doesn't know how to properly use it, I could see mulch and or stone from beds all over the turf. THere is a big problem w/ the choke and or choke plate on these units from what I hear. I will stick w/ 7001's for now> We currently have 5 of these, 1 6200 and a real old 431. Maybe if the kinks are worked out of the 8000's I will check into them, but for my accounts, when more power is needed, we go to the w/b Little wonders as well. Hope this helps.

Lazer_Z
10-16-2005, 12:32 PM
MKWL,

I would also suggest that you check w/ the mechanics at your dealer. A lot of times they can give you the pros and cons on the 2 units side by side. They are the ones who have to do the repair work and will tell you what is well built and or shoddily built on the units in question. My dealer sells echo & redmax. I use redmax exclusively. My dealer loves the 7001, but does sell the 8000. I have used an 8000. The power is definitely much more than the 7001. I did notice a weight difference which may be a problem w/ smaller guys. If someone doesn't know how to properly use it, I could see mulch and or stone from beds all over the turf. There is a big problem w/ the choke and or choke plate on these units from what I hear. I will stick w/ 7001's for now> We currently have 5 of these, 1 6200 and a real old 431. Maybe if the kinks are worked out of the 8000's I will check into them, but for my accounts, when more power is needed, we go to the w/b Little wonders as well. Hope this helps.

I gotta agree with you on the weight Bob. The 8000 is a hefty one I have had it on my back but, then again I'm not a light weight by any means I'm about 6' and 200+ so the weight didn't really bother me but, I don't know how I would feel after say 2 or 3 hours of steady use with it I might change my mind after that. I currently have an Echo 650 that gets to be frank "pissy" in cooler weather it's hard starting and that's why I too am looking for a new machine I think I'm going to go with Stihl on this and keep the Echo as a back up.I have a very good dealer who will not steere me the wrong way or sell me a machine that won't work for me. As for MKWL I say go with what works best for you. Good luck in your search and let us know what you end up with.

Rob

Jpocket
10-16-2005, 04:08 PM
I run Redmax Blowers the biggest is the 7001, so imo I would get the 8000 any thing more powerful than the 7001 is an absolute monster.

BryPaulD
10-16-2005, 06:17 PM
Weight is no object for me. I can walk around with 50 lbs on my back all day. Are you guys landscapers or wimps?

I wear 2 EB630's, one on my back and one on my chest and put out 1200+ CFM. Works best if you move them back and forth in opposite directions so they cross in the middle with each wave. Sometimes I'll even run the Billy Goat 10HP at the same time as the 2 BPs.

you wouldn't happen to have a picture of this operation would you? :D

Turfdude
10-16-2005, 07:07 PM

I too have done the 2 bp & push blower deal if its getting dark or starting to rain. I wouldn't recommend it for more than an hour and a half or so though especially if its latee in the day... your azz will sure be draggin.

Darryl G
10-16-2005, 08:39 PM

Nope, sorry, no pics. I try not to let anyone see be doing that...don't want the competition getting any ideas.

For the record, I'm a former long distance backpacker (Appalachian Trail, John Muir Trail and the northern Third of the Continental Divide Trail). I may be doing the Pacific Crest Trail in 2010. Believe me, after you've carried 3 weeks of food along with winter mountaineering and camping gear in the mountains all day for weeks on end, wearing a BP blower on a lawn for a few hours is nothing.

I only do the 2 BP deal when I'm trying to finish up like Turfdude said. It works great for blowing piles into the woods. I leave the wheel blower stationary, point the discarge chute up into the woods, and use the 2 BP blowers to feed it. I've done this on a windy day and I swear I had an airborne wall of leaves 30 feet long 15 feet high flying into the woods. Get them airborne and let the wind do the rest.

The down sides....you've gotta clean out the intake of the BP if it clogs up with leaves. The BP on the chest is a little unconfortable because you have to bend the flexible part of the chute pretty good to go the opposite direction it's designed to. And with the Shindaiwa's and the left hand throttle, it's WOT all the way, because with wands in both hands, there's no other way. Next I'm gonna try it with a handheld blower duct taped to the ouside of each leg...that would be 5 blowers at once. O.K., now I'm just kidding.

I think all you guys should give the doulble BP thing a try just to see how much of a differnce it makes. I swear I can move 3 times the leaves with only twice the power. Then report your findings back here.

LawnMower
10-16-2005, 10:33 PM
First I tried the EBZ 7001. This blower was very powerful,light,and comfortable. The only con I had with the blower is that it appeared cheaply built. I know that the blower will last from the great reviews from the post, but it just for some reason felt cheap.

Second I tried the EBZ 8000. This blower was a lot stronger than the EBZ 7001, but was kind of heavy. Again the blower just seemed cheap, but I trusted the people on this site that it would last.

I bought a EBZ 8000 at the beginning of this year. Ya it dose blow a lot of air, but oh boy is it seem cheaply built. The lap belt broke. I have to jam the choke off so that it will stay off when I'm blowing. Engine gaskets aren't cut to fit and they hang out all over. Gas lines from the tank to the carb are right out in the open, and look like after thoughts.

As soon as Stihl makes a blower that blows as much air as the 8000 it will be my next purchase.

gqnine44
10-17-2005, 12:21 AM
I have both BR600 and Redmax 8000 blowers. Both are great. But If I could only buy one with everyday use in mind I would go with the BR600. It is comfy, light, quiet, easy to start, and powerful. and cheaper.

kturf
10-17-2005, 12:42 AM
The red max is great it will eat alot of fuel but cant beat the power i have changed all my blowers over to the 8000

dcplace2004
10-17-2005, 07:25 AM
I believe the engineers said "phuck this man, let's not spend the extra few dollars it takes to cover the fuel lines and choke lever...let's make a crappy choke lever and not put a grounding cable inside the tube for anti-static shock prevention...Now, le'ts charge the customers half a thousand dollars plus for this blower...they won't complain about the shoddy work..." Wouldn't you feel protected if your vehicle's fuel lines were exposed so they could snag on some debris, where the fuel would flow out and contact the hot muffler and burst into flames?????????? Man, would that be worth every penny for THAT vehicle...Afterthoughts by a company show how much the company pays attention to detail for the customer's satisfaction...

Freshcut Lawn Care
10-17-2005, 06:09 PM
I spoke to a dealer in St. Clair Michigan today and he sells and repairs both the Red Max and the Stihl.

He highly recommended the Red Max over the Stihl due to service history for both brands; when it comes to Back Pack Blowers. He feels the Red Max are more durable! Also the guys he sells to use mainly Red Max and they seem quite pleased.

I did find the Stihl more comfortable, but it only comes with a one year commercial warranty vs. a two year for the Red Max. (What's up with that)!

I am leaning toward the Red Max 7001 for the extra warranty and his advice along with the advice of many of you folks. I will let my son (partner) make the final decision however, as he will be the main user! :D

John Gamba
10-17-2005, 06:21 PM
I spoke to a dealer in St. Clair Michigan today and he sells and repairs both the Red Max and the Stihl.

He highly recommended the Red Max over the Stihl due to service history for both brands; when it comes to Back Pack Blowers. He feels the Red Max are more durable! Also the guys he sells to use mainly Red Max and they seem quite pleased.

I did find the Stihl more comfortable, but it only comes with a one year commercial warranty vs. a two year for the Red Max. (What's up with that)!

I am leaning toward the Red Max 7001 for the extra warranty and his advice along with the advice of many of you folks. I will let my son (partner) make the final decision however, as he will be the main user! :D

Witch brand do you think he makes the most on????

LawnMower
10-17-2005, 06:33 PM
I believe the engineers said "phuck this man, let's not spend the extra few dollars it takes to cover the fuel lines and choke lever...let's make a crappy choke lever and not put a grounding cable inside the tube for anti-static shock prevention...Now, le'ts charge the customers half a thousand dollars plus for this blower...they won't complain about the shoddy work..." Wouldn't you feel protected if your vehicle's fuel lines were exposed so they could snag on some debris, where the fuel would flow out and contact the hot muffler and burst into flames?????????? Man, would that be worth every penny for THAT vehicle...Afterthoughts by a company show how much the company pays attention to detail for the customer's satisfaction...

I completely agree with you here. If your paying that much money for a blower, it shouldn't be engineared they way it is . It would have very easy to fix the things that aggravate me, and I'm sure others.

lazer 46
10-17-2005, 09:23 PM
I used my new BR 600 today for the first time. I like it. I also have the Red Max 8000. I'll use that for that mountain of leaves, but for everyday use I'll use the Stihl. I like the trhrottle control on the tube and I like how comfortable the unit feels on my back. And it is lighter.

mkwl
10-17-2005, 10:16 PM
Thanks guys, but would I be buying an under powered BP blower if I got the 7001? How do you guys (who have them) like your Red Max 7001 blowers? Are they drastically more powerful that a BR320 (44cc's)?

BryPaulD
10-17-2005, 10:28 PM
Underpowered? The 7001 was the most powerful last year until they came out with the 8000 and stihl's br600. I love my 7001. I used it this evening to clean all the leaves out of my yard after it rained pretty much all day. The leaves still went c-ya l8r, no problem.

John Gamba
10-18-2005, 08:02 AM
BTW - how many RedMax and Stihl reps do we have on this board. Anyone who buys a product from getting advice on this board is foolish. Demo these products and you'll be surprised!!

So we are lier's

pcc070197
10-18-2005, 10:03 AM
No - not at all...I think there's a lot of great advice on this website and I think the machines/products this thread is referring to are decent, however, a lot of discussions in this forum are biased and people who are looking for advice on how to spend their money are only getting part of the story.

John Gamba
10-18-2005, 11:08 AM
No - not at all...I think there's a lot of great advice on this website and I think the machines/products this thread is referring to are decent, however, a lot of discussions in this forum are biased and people who are looking for advice on how to spend their money are only getting part of the story.

Tell us the other part. I think the br600 is great for everyday use, getting between bushes and windows it will be even better. I also think the 8000 will do great on blowing the deeper piles of leaves and larger areas. You will need both imo.
John

John Gamba
10-24-2005, 05:03 PM
Had the br600 in leaves today. I mite add wet leaves and it did great!. I will say The 8000 will be better on moving the larger piles but the 600 (for what i bought it for) did great even on the mulch beds. I didnt have the mulch on the drive or grass like i would with the bigger blowers. It has rained alot but the mulch just stayed there.

Try and get the info you need from users not dealers. I will look at the bigger blowers next year but now i'm very happy with the 600.

John

lazer 46
10-24-2005, 05:14 PM
I used my BR 600 on leaves the other day for the first time. Worked great. I had the 8000 on the truck, but didn't need it. The manuverability and the comfort of the 600 is great. i agree with John that the 8000 will handle the big piles better but that occasion hasn't happened for me yet. Now, I would like to know what that metal wire that runs down through the tube is for.

Richard Martin
10-24-2005, 05:49 PM
Now, I would like to know what that metal wire that runs down through the tube is for.

It to discharge the static electricity that air makes when it moves at high speed. Don't remove unless you like getting shocked.

S man
10-24-2005, 06:06 PM
Redmax. The stihl hasen't been out long enough and doesn't seem as reliable.

John Gamba
10-24-2005, 06:40 PM
Redmax. The stihl hasen't been out long enough and doesn't seem as reliable.

Ive had my 600 and weed wacker( 4mix) for about 7 months now and i love it:waving:

John

John Gamba
10-24-2005, 06:42 PM
Now, I would like to know what that metal wire that runs down through the tube is for.

So you don't get shocked like with the Red-max 8000 does :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

lazer 46
10-24-2005, 06:46 PM
So you don't get shocked like with the Red-max 8000 does :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I've never gotten shocked with my 8000

S man
10-24-2005, 06:46 PM

That's one thing I don't like about redmax.

Lazer_Z
10-24-2005, 07:31 PM
Ive had my 600 and weed wacker( 4mix) for about 7 months now and i love it:waving:

John
I've kinda got ya beat John I've had my FC110 for a little over a year and have had 0 problems with it. It has also gone up in price it went from $399.99 to $419.99 at my dealer. What model trimmer did you buy the FS110?

Rob

John Gamba
10-24-2005, 11:13 PM
I've kinda got ya beat John I've had my FC110 for a little over a year and have had 0 problems with it. It has also gone up in price it went from $399.99 to $419.99 at my dealer. What model trimmer did you buy the FS110?

Rob

Yes it is:waving: :waving:

John Gamba
10-24-2005, 11:15 PM
I've never gotten shocked with my 8000

Try using it:dizzy: Or turn it on:help:

lazer 46
10-25-2005, 07:34 AM
Try using it:dizzy: Or turn it on:help:

Oh, it has to be running to get shocked?

John Gamba
10-25-2005, 08:12 AM
Oh, it has to be running to get shocked?

Yeup:waving: