PDA

View Full Version : Ford ,chevy, Dodge

FordManKubotaDreamer
08-18-2005, 11:21 PM
I curently own a ford and am looking for another truck thats good at pulling any suggestions? Ratio of 4.1 or better

mcwlandscaping
08-18-2005, 11:27 PM
I don't know about ratios and stuff but EVERY Landscape Co. in my area has at least one 2005 Chevy Silverado 2500HD's. Thats what i want! With an 8 ft. Fisher HD MM2 Plow!!

i_plant_art
08-18-2005, 11:51 PM
well currently own a ford f350 4x4 dooley PSD, love it..... previously owned a chevy z71, chevy blazer... spent too much $$ in parts a repairs..... have heard bad things about Dodge but have never owned one.... but i sure do love the way the new body style Dodge Ram crew cab dooley looks... something about it looks good...... i dunno though im a ford man ..... iwould say based on my experience i would stick with the Ford. What kind(of ford) do u have now?

ElephantNest
08-18-2005, 11:52 PM
Get one of these: GMC 2500HD 6.0 ltr/4:10 gears

Rated to pull something like 10,500+ lbs. Pulls our 26ft 7500lb camper with ease.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/EleNest/GMCs03.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/EleNest/2001_0101_000047AA.jpg

Last pic was before I installed the wheel to wheel nerf bars. Now both trucks have them.

BTW, the BLUE 2002 is FOR SALE.

Brianslawn
08-19-2005, 12:43 AM
new 06 ford i got on order will pull 30,000 lbs. 4.88 limited slip

Itsgottobegreen
08-19-2005, 10:49 AM
F-350 dually dump truck with 4.10 limited slip gears.

RedWingsDet
08-19-2005, 10:54 AM
IMO. As long as you get one of the big three, you cant go wrong. They all make good quality trucks. IMO the dodge trannys are fine, it seems as if the fords are the trouble trannys, but IDK, I have no personall expierence.

Honestly, I would just get the cheapest one ton with what you want (4.10, 4.30, diesel, gas, 4x4, 4x2, etc.) out one of the big three, which will supprisingly most likely be chevy if you buy one by september 6th (when employee price ends).

Or, wait until like october and get a 05 450, because they mark the 05's down to make room for 06's. At least thats how it is in detroit.

FordManKubotaDreamer
08-19-2005, 12:35 PM
well currently own a ford f350 4x4 dooley PSD, love it..... previously owned a chevy z71, chevy blazer... spent too much $$ in parts a repairs..... have heard bad things about Dodge but have never owned one.... but i sure do love the way the new body style Dodge Ram crew cab dooley looks... something about it looks good...... i dunno though im a ford man ..... iwould say based on my experience i would stick with the Ford. What kind(of ford) do u have now?

I currently own a 2002 F-150 Supercrew Fx4 HD towing package. It has no troubles pulling anything yet but would like a bigger truck to plow with maybe. I do not personally like the dodge. From what I've seen they have immense power but they cant put it to the ground.They have truck pulls all the time here and the dodges are either loosing or breaking. I personally like the 06 F-350 w/7.3 stroker and 4.88 gears.

Smalltimer1
08-19-2005, 02:22 PM
I currently own a 2002 F-150 Supercrew Fx4 HD towing package. It has no troubles pulling anything yet but would like a bigger truck to plow with maybe. I do not personally like the dodge. From what I've seen they have immense power but they cant put it to the ground.They have truck pulls all the time here and the dodges are either loosing or breaking. I personally like the 06 F-350 w/7.3 stroker and 4.88 gears.

'06 Fords don't have the 7.3--those were phased out in '03. Get the 6.0L PSD or the V-10 (which has come a long way) and a stickshift in a F-450 and you'll be fine.

FordManKubotaDreamer
08-19-2005, 03:53 PM
Im not a big fan of the 6.0 I really like the 7.3 well i guess ill just have to keep looking.

lawnmaniac883
08-19-2005, 09:14 PM
Do yourself a favor. Go to your local dodge dealer, order a 2005 2500 or 3500 with a cummins turbo diesel (High Output), a G56 manual transmission (Mercedes tranny) and 4.10 gears. Trust me, it will pull anything you can hook up to it.

UNISCAPER
08-20-2005, 08:10 PM
We got rid of all the Fords we ownedbecause of numerous transmission issues and other small knit picky stuff. Switched to GM, 3500, 4500, 5500... 3 times the truck with none of the problems we had with the Fords.

In the 4500 series for example, the rear suspension and rear end is larger than the 550 Ford and the frames are 100,000 PSI....With the pick ups, the suspeension, engine and transmission are all larger than the Ford and work well for us.

We had some Dodges back in the day as wel, have not run them recent enough to give an honest opinion.

ElephantNest
08-20-2005, 08:33 PM
Cummins are nice, but the Dodges fall apart around them.

FordManKubotaDreamer
08-20-2005, 08:54 PM
We got rid of all the Fords we ownedbecause of numerous transmission issues and other small knit picky stuff. Switched to GM, 3500, 4500, 5500... 3 times the truck with none of the problems we had with the Fords.

In the 4500 series for example, the rear suspension and rear end is larger than the 550 Ford and the frames are 100,000 PSI....With the pick ups, the suspeension, engine and transmission are all larger than the Ford and work well for us.

We had some Dodges back in the day as wel, have not run them recent enough to give an honest opinion.

What tranny poblems have you had?????

UNISCAPER
08-21-2005, 09:55 AM
It would be far easier to ask what Ford transmission problems have I not had... starting with the illustrious E-4OD....Broken drive carriers...5 back when they made them from aluminum. The supposedly fixed that, and the idiots never used a bearing to hold the carrier in the center of the tranny, it was a bushing. After the bushing wore out, ford realized that bronze and spinning shafts don't work so well in heavy applications... Heavy meaning using a truck for what it was intended for.... After that, in reverse gear, backing trailers up a grade to place in a yard we worked at, blown front seals, 13 times over 5 trucks. Ford never designed their transmission to flow oil in reverse gear, so, it sits, in the transmission body, dormant, building heat, until it boils, and explodes inside, pushing the only release it has forward, that being the front seal.

We then graduated to th new and improved version of junk, this \i'll call garbage.... The 4R100...the glorified E-4OD....6 torque converters...They did not design them with enough beef to lock up as they need to....5 front seals, backing up with trailers...A function that has to be done in the type of landscape work we do.... 2 front input shafts twisted beyond usage. when the torque converters locked up. Before we went to GM, I was still after all the inadequacies, considering the new 6.0 line in the 350, 450, 550.

I have been in this game 30 plus years, worked in 7 countries, and 15 states, so, I know quite a few people from other companies around the country who over the years are my friends and mentors. Of 31 company owners I not only know, but trust and speak to on a regular basis, every one of them has had some transmission related issue with Ford products. on the more serious side, last winter were 13 cracked Torque Shift transmission outer cases. And, at the time, in the middle of winter when folks back east rely on their trucks for plowing snow to eat, Ford had cases back ordered and some who had trucks with less than 1000 miles were told they had to wait 6 weeks before the parts were in... One actually had to argue at 14,000 miles weather the tranny would be covered under warranty because it was in an F-550. The factory claimed too heavy usage for the vehicle.

Supposedly, Ford has corrected their issues. I don't for a minute believe they have, I believe they have done little more than place a band-aid on the problems like they did with the other two junks they designed in their early diesels. I am not a brand sensitive idiot as some people are, I look at production and what is going to get the job done better for our company situation. Clearly, there will be no more Ford trucks in our shop for at least 6 years, until I see proof, and speak to many of the folks I know in our same industry.

As a result, in a related and pertaining note, the numbers on vehicular maintenance went from $21,000.00 a year and change, to $3,700.00 and change, and that covers scheduled maintenance. The rate of production, went from where we were 3 years ago at $700K, and this year we will project out at 2.1mm. If we ran the numbers on lost revenue due to vehicles sitting in the shop, we would be projected out at 1.5mm. So basically, transmissions cost us 500K in lost production, wages, etc, while they cost us the same amount of fixed overhead just for sitting idle.

Sorry for the long post, you asked, I summed it up, listed the largest problems and why we made the change.

lawnmaniac883
08-21-2005, 05:48 PM
That sucks big time. Ford has always fixed their trannys...until they break again. Ford is sheer garbage, nothing you can do to make up for that.

UNISCAPER
08-21-2005, 08:35 PM
'Ford is sheer garbage"

That I have to say I disagree with. The trucks are actually kind of fun to drive, by far I think the best looking, and, you are absolutely correct...They fix their trannies, until they break again...That down time is the largest single deal breaker in my book, because once the time is gone, you can never get it back.

Unlike Caterpillar Tractor, they simply don't get down time and lost billable hours. The transmissions were the biggest factor in our decision to change brands, but there were also a few other factors as well.

Ironmower
08-22-2005, 11:24 PM
That sucks big time. Ford has always fixed their trannys...until they break again. Ford is sheer garbage, nothing you can do to make up for that.

I'd rather replace a transmission, which I have NEVER done in my fleet of 12 F-250's and 4 F-450's than to have a frame repaired like I did with a 2004 C-4500 Crew Cab I had last year. It cracked while I was pulling an 36' gooseneck loaded with 17k worth of bales of wheat straw on the way to drop them off at a job site. Took right at a $18k loss at trade in as I had to have the title registered as a salvage due to the frame damage. Initial purchase cost was around $52,500 new with a 12' hauler body to handle the 36' GN, when I sold it I only got $22k for it with only 14k miles on it.

Frightened me so bad I sold off all 10 other GM products in the fleet as I didn't want to put any of the crews at risk, an occasional transmission in a Ford is cheaper than a wrongful death lawsuit due to a GM frame breaking on one of the company trucks.

Made the GM mistake once, never will happen again.

UNISCAPER
08-22-2005, 11:55 PM
Ironmower:

You must have one of the rarest Ford fleets going. We had just the opposite. The 450's are not half the trucks the 4500s are, at least in our operations.
I am almost beginning to think it is looking like a crap shoot, no matter what you run. All in all, in our operation ford logged the most costly truck over the time we ran them. If GM does the things Ford did, then it's time to switch.............again

2k1yzfr1
08-23-2005, 12:04 AM

The only reason those Dodges are breaking is because those fords and chevys dont even have enough power to enter the pulls. :cool2: So its like 10 Dodges to 1 Ford so which is more liable to break? J/K :p