PDA

View Full Version : Smokers

Varsity L&G
08-18-2005, 11:37 PM
Are you a smoker, non smoker.

Do you have a strict rule that there is no smoking near or on a customers property?

mcwlandscaping
08-18-2005, 11:39 PM
I am deffinatly not a smoker and i think it would be very unprofessional to smoke while on a customers property. Just my 2 cents.

Varsity L&G
08-18-2005, 11:43 PM
I watched a guy today, even though it was commercial property I thought it was really un pro. He was working the WB with a smoke hanging off his lip. When I have worked for others in the past there were rules regarding this. You would get fired.

Just wondered what others would say.

1MajorTom
08-18-2005, 11:43 PM
Both Matt and I don't smoke, but if we did, I would not find it appropriate to be flicking butts near the customers property.
When we had our pool installed, I was not too keen on looking out the kitchen window and seeing a few guys smoking and dropping their cig on the lawn and snuffing it out with their boot that's for sure.

grassmanvt
08-18-2005, 11:45 PM
I don't smoke, hate the smell, and won't hire a smoker unless I'm really desperate. My experience has been that they are the most un-productive workers and no matter how much crap I gave them I always found a butt here and there. I know I didn't put it there and didn't find them on the properties before but it ofcourse it was't them.

mcwlandscaping
08-18-2005, 11:49 PM
If you hired a smoker and you provided insurance for that person, wouldn't it be higher because of the fact that they smoke? Just wondering because by the time i need a real employee once i become legal, this would be a good thing to know.

Brianslawn
08-18-2005, 11:55 PM
we got smoke free policy. also we probably wont even give any smokers a try out ever again. they are the stupidest, laziest people i have ever seen, and we get nothing but complaints on them. no one here smokes.

bugspit
08-18-2005, 11:55 PM
oh boy, another reason to quit.

http://www.stayinghard.info/

Guthrie&Co
08-19-2005, 12:03 AM
i dont let people smoker on properties or chew tobacco. i had no clue of this concept until i started posting here. now its a must policy

mcwlandscaping
08-19-2005, 12:08 AM
When i become legal, that will be my policy too. Makes 100% sence.

olderthandirt
08-19-2005, 12:11 AM
we got smoke free policy. also we probably wont even give any smokers a try out ever again. they are the stupidest, laziest people i have ever seen, and we get nothing but complaints on them. no one here smokes.
Smoked for 30 yrs before quitting and doing OK, I don't consider myself stupid or lazy and neither do most other people and/or customers. What the problem is, lack of respect. No respect for others property, rules, health, etc. Don't group all smoker together for the actions of a few, to do so shows ignorance. Most of the industrial united states was built by smokers and those same guys fought WW2 and the govt. supplied there cig. I don't think men that can fight and work 16 hrs a day are lazy or stupid :waving:

Brianslawn
08-19-2005, 12:23 AM
Smoked for 30 yrs before quitting and doing OK, I don't consider myself stupid or lazy and neither do most other people and/or customers. What the problem is, lack of respect. No respect for others property, rules, health, etc. Don't group all smoker together for the actions of a few, to do so shows ignorance. Most of the industrial united states was built by smokers and those same guys fought WW2 and the govt. supplied there cig. I don't think men that can fight and work 16 hrs a day are lazy or stupid :waving:

good point mac. ive only had one smoker that was decent and respect rules. my driveway is littered with butts and i got half dozen outdoor trash cans spread out. instead of walking few steps they trash my yard and light another one. my favorite phrase for first day workers... can i get a pay advance to buy some ciggs. say no and they pout rest of day. haha. majority of people in this area that smoke will not follow your non smoking rules while you are not around. my appologies and no disrespect to the few people like you Mac that smoke or used to smoke, but always honored other peoples wishes when you did smoke. thanks.

Dirty Water
08-19-2005, 12:29 AM

As a former smoker, I take offense to that comment.

I never smoked while working, and I never smoked on a customers property even during breaks. This was not company policy, just mine.

If I had to have a smoke, I'd go out and have it in the street, away from the property, but only on my lunch break.

We had one guy working for us that could dig faster than I could, and would do it with a smoke hanging out of his mouth at all times. Nobody complained about him, and he was the hardest worker I'd ever seen.

QualityLawnCare4u
08-19-2005, 12:58 AM

Excuse me, but until 2 years ago I smoked and I NEVER smoked on a clients property and I sure as hell am not lazy or stupid. I also never smoked in someones elses car or EVER in a resturant because no one should have to smell my bad habit. I was a very respectful smoker such as it was until I had to quit. Also my twins have never seen me smoke and my hosue has never been smoked in (wife hated them). I only smoked in my vehicle between lawns. Dang, now got me wanting one! :angry:

BobcatZT
08-19-2005, 01:29 AM
they are the stupidest, laziest people i have ever seen

And that statement right there tells me what kind of person you are. No need for me to go any further with it. :realmad:

Brianslawn
08-19-2005, 01:46 AM
And that statement right there tells me what kind of person you are. No need for me to go any further with it. :realmad:

Yes, I dont have patience for people that cost me time, money, or business... and that is why i am successful and have a profitable business. If they cant follow rules then i dont need them. In my personal experience smokers do more complaining than non smokers, and non smokers do twice as many yards a day as smokers. non smokers get almost no complaints as well. that is my 1st ammendment opinion and experience of a business owner.

easycareacres
08-19-2005, 03:13 AM
First of all I am a smoker and proud.
Some of my employees smoke, some dont. They smoke not to harm or annoy anyone so not a problem at all.
If one was lazy usless and dropping butts around well yes can see a prob forshore. I find them equal as I expect 200% work.
Right wheres my cigars heeeee. :waving:

topsites
08-19-2005, 03:16 AM
Both Matt and I don't smoke, but if we did, I would not find it appropriate to be flicking butts near the customers property.
When we had our pool installed, I was not too keen on looking out the kitchen window and seeing a few guys smoking and dropping their cig on the lawn and snuffing it out with their boot that's for sure.

For me, smoking and working together don't normally work, most the time I'm working too hard to be smoking because it interrupts my breathing pattern and I get too light-headed... Thou if I feel like lighting one up then I do it BUT I usually only do it on 'abandoned' yards (meaning there is NOBODY there) and I put the butt in the truck afterwards. And sometimes when I need a break I'll sit in the truck for 5-10 and believe it or not, the cigarette is a great kitchen timer, when I'm done, break is up. Other than that, break time is usually the windshield time and that's when smoking happens as well, it truly is a rare thing that I smoke near a yard.
All butts go in the truck, always. I also keep a garbage bag in the back to pick up the slew of detritus some yards collect from passing traffic (bottles, cans, papers, etc, etc...)
Don't take it out on me or other smokers, take it out on the inconsiderate folk because smoking has nothing to do with being considerate and mindful.
Just like with drinking alcohol, you wouldn't drink on a jobsite would you?
Now smoking on the job is NOT drinking, however I can see if you have employees then I am sure the problems never end BUT it's not always the smokers, either.
Well, then.

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger
08-19-2005, 08:45 AM
Darn government won't let me smoke what I'd like to :D

Itsgottobegreen
08-19-2005, 10:10 AM
:realmad: Well I fired one guy three weeks ago over smoking. He couldn't do a damn thing with out a smoke. I told him no smoking on a customer's property. Well twice I caught him riding a stander while smoking. Well he was sitting in the trailer waiting for me to finish talking to a customer. Well he was smoking next to 21 gallons of gasoline plus 4 machine with 23 more gallons of gasoline, then 2 gallons of mix in 2 stroke equipment too. That was it. He was fired on the spot and dropped off at his car back at the shop. :realmad: He could have made the whole thing go kaboom.

I have no problem if you smoke. Just don't be stupit when doing so.

REENO
08-19-2005, 10:17 AM
just quit in may. but have no problem smoking during and only during water breaks at the trailer. never in or on property~!1 :cool:

prizeprop
08-19-2005, 10:32 AM
My workers smoke and chew.If it ever became a problem of losing customers because of it , it would then stop.Some times customers know my crew leader as the guy with the smoke hanging from his mouth and not by his name and he has been doing great things for the company for over six years. Never has been a problem for us.

TWUllc
08-19-2005, 10:59 AM
Smoking looks very unprofesional to me.

C&KLawnCare
08-19-2005, 12:02 PM
smokers a try out ever again. they are the stupidest, laziest people i

Hey pal watch it , I smoke and rub snuff , just switched over to the herbal snuff because i am trying to quit both habits.

I have seen more lazy. stupidest people that was NON Smokers

and not hiring someone due to the fact that they smoke, rub/chew tobacco that would other wise be qualified for the job , May one day end some folks in a discrimantaion law suit

fcl01
08-19-2005, 12:12 PM
i myself smoke. however, i never throw butts on a customers property. i always snuff them on my boot, put it in my pocket and throw it in the truck when i get back to it. as far as being lazy and stupid, i guess all of us smokers are a little stupid for doing it, but i am certainly not lazy.

topsites
08-19-2005, 12:24 PM
Darn government won't let me smoke what I'd like to :D

Hell they've been righteously working on outlawing standard tobacco smoking.

Big Red
08-19-2005, 12:30 PM
No one is going to admit smoking even if they do...they will get ripped too hard by you guys.

topsites
08-19-2005, 12:30 PM
I will say smoking clouds your judgement meaning that if you're a smoker then you can't always SEE as clearly what is going on. Now here's this never-ending argument about how bad smoking is but you know what? One of the MAIN reasons I continue to smoke is because I don't WANT to see a lot of the crap going on, I'm talking about when someone is about to rip you off, if you smoke you can still see it coming but not as clearly and that is very nice because otherwise I would get HELLA angry, so angry in fact that when I did quit smoking for 3 months (couple of times) then when ppls wanted to try and pull some SH!7 on me it got to where I wanted to beat the living crap out of them for it... Truth be known, I wish you could do it because more than a few really deserve it.

So maybe if it were not for the fact that 9 out of 10 humans are ALWAYS up to some no-good thing or another such as lying / cheating / stealing / ETC, then maybe *I* wouldn't smoke. In the meantime, I dunno how the hell the non-smokers live with each other, it's got to be rough seeing what truly is, and all of it.

grassmanvt
08-19-2005, 02:01 PM
Ok here, a couple observations. For those of you who took offense to the comments of lazy littering smokers, remember that most of you who took offense and wont smoke on a customer property are also the owner of the business and have a reason to exibit good behavior. Out of the four or five smokers I had NONE who would respect my wishes. I'm not saying all are lazy and inconsiderate but the basic laborers who are just there to collect a paycheck often just don't care and this is one more thing to have to babysit them about. Also, c+k, I feel it is my right to not hire someone who stinks up my truck and produces an unpleasant odor that I have to deal with. It also produces an image that I don't want for my business. It is also easier if littered butts ever come up as a problem I can say to the customer we are all nonsmokers, wasn't us. Heres one more issue, health insurance, it is pricey enough and smoking compounds the problem. Non smokers generally have better lung capacity which usually means better indurance as well. That's been my experience anyway.

stumper1620
08-19-2005, 03:10 PM
I'll run rings around your sorry ass any day you want to try me, If their is one thing on this earth I can't stand its a holier than thou shi! head that I'm sure has his own personal problems that I can't stand, judge yourself before you try judging me. a person you have never met. now when would you like to bring your sorry ass over here and we'll see who is lazy and who isn't.
I pay for my smokes, I pay the tax for the schools by buying my smokes, I pay more for health insurance (as well i should) and I pay more for life insurance, which makes no sense to me since you and I and every other person on this earth WILL die someday. I consider myself to be a very courteous smoker, I don't throw my butts around but in your case I would make the exception, no wonder you have problems with your employees.
I would throw the butt at your feet too! ya f**king judgmental Prick.

BobcatZT
08-19-2005, 03:30 PM
I was not offended of the fact that some of you have smokers that throw butts on the ground, or if you don't like the stink in the truck. That is all fine, you have every right to be mad about that. My problem is with the moron that said ALL SMOKERS are lazy and good for nothing...blah blah. 24% of the US are smokers, and he is saying ALL smokers are lazy. I see just as many non smokers that are quite lazy. So making an assumption that ALL smokers are lazy is not just a bad assumption, it makes you look like an ASS!

And for the record, I am a smoker, and I do NOT own the company I work for. My boss has no complaints about my work or being lazy.

Kate Butler
08-19-2005, 03:54 PM
Never have, never will, don't allow it on the job, and no one gets into my rig reeking of smoke (any sort). Chewing?? Are you deranged? Think about what a client thinks if they happen to see someone spitting black gunk in their yard!!

Dashunde
08-19-2005, 06:09 PM

Wow... I'd probably beat the snot out of you instead of working for you... dick.

jbell113
08-19-2005, 06:12 PM
Actually tobacco juice is a good insectacide

hole in one lco
08-19-2005, 06:22 PM
Yes i smoke and at every property to and yes. I maintain million dollar homes too

Oldtimer
08-19-2005, 08:54 PM
Anyone can quit smoking but it takes a real man to face lung cancer. I cannot understand why someone would work in the hot sun and then spend his money on a product that is just about guaranteed to kill.

A smoker has a cigarette in his hand about 15% of the time which means he is partially handicapped. Shouldn't an employer get a tax break for hiring the handicapped?

Oldtimer

hustlers
08-19-2005, 09:02 PM
speakingof smoking,

I just got done with a flavorful 93 rated Onyx cigar all while mowing my yard, then got off and finished it off while picking a few hundred organic apples off my tress.

I m Topping it off right now with my home roasted organic mexican coffee....

No cigarrettes, but fine central america cigars are incredible, especially sitting on my mower mowing my lawn, looking at my 70 acres of a thick healthy hay mixture... SOme cows out chewing the hay.... and one heck of a sunset---thats the only kind of smoking i approve...

Anybody here like GOOD CIGARS?????????

Evergreenpros
08-19-2005, 09:25 PM
I'm a smoker, even though I quit all the time, sometimes for 1.5 years lol. Mmmm nothing like a smoke with that cup of coffee in the morning!!! Do I smoke on customer's property? Nope, I'm there to work.

Have I ever found a lick of difference between the work ethic or production of smokers vs. non-smokers? No, the notion is laughable.

You think you're gonna be healthier and live longer than me because you don't smoke? LOL I laugh at that too!!!!

My neighbor died of heart disease. The doctor's report reflected he died because of smoking. My neighbor's family, who had other close relatives die of the same disease who never smoked in their life, questioned the doctor's report. The doctor said that if they smoke and they die of anything that can be linked to smoking they are instructed to list the cause of death as a smoking related illness.

My neighbor was 83 when he died, of smoking.

If you're going to get cancer or heart disease you're going to get cancer or heart disease, no matter what you do or don't do.

There is a greater relationship between healthy people and their lifestyle than any one thing like smoking or not smoking. Sorry but a non-smoker sitting all day eating potato chips, who's family has a history of heart disease, is probably gonna have a heart attack before he's 50.

Quit if you can, live if you want to.

jerryrwm
08-19-2005, 10:31 PM

You, my young friend, are an idiot. Not because of your non-smoking policy which is your right as the owner of your company. But for you to make a generalization based on your limited exposure is just plain ludicrous.

And I have a number of customers that have given me some fine cigars and even bummed a cigarette a time or two. So I do enjoy a smoke with them too.

RedWolf
08-19-2005, 10:43 PM
I do smoke and yes i do love a good cigar.all my customers smoke.i have one job that the guy gives me hand rolled cigars,cherry wine and pays my in cash.i bust my tail in the heat and do a good job.i hate when people think that a persons no good because he or she smokes or drinks.its makes people like me and others really mad.by the way the man the gives me those fine cigars just asked me if i could watch his house.he told me his maids will cook for my if i say yes so i told him yes.the man is great.fine cigars,cherry wine, and cash.can life get any better?

QualityLawnCare4u
08-19-2005, 11:06 PM
I do smoke and yes i do love a good cigar.all my customers smoke.i have one job that the guy gives me hand rolled cigars,cherry wine and pays my in cash.i bust my tail in the heat and do a good job.i hate when people think that a persons no good because he or she smokes or drinks.its makes people like me and others really mad.by the way the man the gives me those fine cigars just asked me if i could watch his house.he told me his maids will cook for my if i say yes so i told him yes.the man is great.fine cigars,cherry wine, and cash.can life get any better?

Redwolf, send me some clients like that :D I dont know where the poster went to that made that comment, guess he exercised his 1st ammendment and left. In fact, after reading this thread and being told how lazy and stupid I am think Ill go burn me one and think of ways not to be so lazy and stupid and Ive been quit for awhile :D . I burn one tonight I would have to leave after listening to my wifes bi--hing about heart and health problems but the urge NEVER goes away.