PDA

View Full Version : Mowing or the Money

olderthandirt
08-19-2005, 09:53 AM
How many would continue mowing/working if you had the money not to?
I'm not talking rich but could live OK. Would you continue to mow so you have more money or would you stop and enjoy the fruits of your labor ?
Or would you look for other kinds of work to supplement your income and break up the monotony of the same old thing all the time. Having multiple crews means for the sake of argument, would still be doing the same thing, since you are ultimately responsible for the results.

Runner
08-19-2005, 10:27 AM
If I had more money, I would do JUST mowing...that seems to be the most enjoyable....

DFW Area Landscaper
08-19-2005, 10:33 AM
I'd get out of this business in a heartbeat if I didn't need the money.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

bushtrimmer
08-19-2005, 10:40 AM
I would definitely quit mowing except for high paying commercial accounts. Might actually do that anyway. I really enjoy large landscape and irrigation installations for large retail developments and then maintaining those for customers with open checkbooks.
Mowing crews are the only stress I have as an employer.

TWUllc
08-19-2005, 12:05 PM
I'd continue with it, just mowing like Runner, but I'd be VERY VERY picky on who I would mow for. I have some customers who treat me like God, those are the ones I love, and would continue cutting for. :angel:

65hoss
08-19-2005, 12:19 PM
I would continue on regardless. I love what I do.

fcl01
08-19-2005, 12:59 PM
id do only installs
and id only do them if they were bid high payup

mcwlandscaping
08-19-2005, 01:05 PM
I would continue on regardless. I love what I do.
I agree with ^^^^!

1MajorTom
08-19-2005, 01:36 PM
No, if we had enough money to live comfortably for the rest of our lives, we would not do this. We do this honestly because we can make a decent living at it. However, it is not something we LOVE to do, there are too many factors that come into play which can make the job less than enjoyable.
Sure there's that nice crisp fall morning when the sun is shining, and we are out there mowing and it's a beautiful day, ya we enjoy it. But then there are the bee stings, the poison ivy, hot humid sticky weather, too much rain, fighting heavy grass growth in the spring etc....that makes the "job" less than fun.

Nope, we wouldn't mow anymore, BUT we would do something else on the side. Not only for some extra money but to keep ourselves occupied.

Nosmo
08-19-2005, 01:47 PM
I'm probably the oldest one (or close to it) who visits this site. I have already made mine in life but I will never quit mowing my own yard if I can get aboard the mower. Edging , weedeating, and mowing is what I really enjoy and I just hate to see winter set in and I anxiously await spring to hurry up and get here.

Nosmo -- DOB - 07-30-1941

Ric
08-19-2005, 01:58 PM
I'm probably the oldest one (or close to it) who visits this site. I have already made mine in life but I will never quit mowing my own yard if I can get aboard the mower. Edging , weedeating, and mowing is what I really enjoy and I just hate to see winter set in and I anxiously await spring to hurry up and get here.

Nosmo -- DOB - 07-30-1941

Nosmo

Got you beat 10-19-40 and I already took the plunge and sold out. But with the cost of Living going up up up. I realize I need to go back to work at least part time if I want the extra's in life. But if I hit the Lotto you better believe I would never hit a lick at a snake again. :D

Remsen1
08-19-2005, 02:01 PM
I would mow only. Hire somebody else just for trimming etc. I would only mow the nicest properties. No more weed pits.

robby
08-19-2005, 02:07 PM
Everyone has different goals as they go through life. Mine was/is to live comfortable while working as little as possible. At age 40 I've only worked "full time" 6 years out of the 40. While everyone else was at work mon thru fri, 9-5, I was out enjoying life doing all those things that most people got to do only on the weekends, if even then. If I had to do it over again I wouldnt change a thing. Once the years pass and you've spent it all working and no playing, you cant get that time back. Money is of no use if you dont make the time to enjoy it. For me the perfect mix of work/pleasure is about half and half. Working a 3 or 4 day work week makes me a very happy camper. Mowing is the best job I could have ever found because it pays well enough to allow me to work those limited hours and still make enough to live comfy. My wife quit her job a year ago, so we spend tons of fun time together now going out on "dates" an avg of 4 nites a week. So for me I'd rather work less and live more conservatively. Although I certainly respect those that are highly driven and work their tails off to make something of their business and pulling in the bigger bucks. I just hope they find the time to enjoy it at some point in their lives.

MTR
08-19-2005, 02:16 PM
If I had that amount of millions? I would continue to stay small and very picky on accounts to mow and maintain...and enjoy life, especially boating, cruising, fantastic islands and such without worrying any of finanicial things.
You can not quit mowing, it keeps you in shape especially those wb...., and keeps you abreast of what and how hard people trying to make a living cutting grass :-))

QualityLawnCare4u
08-19-2005, 02:21 PM
I would keep mowing some and get rid of the pita fast. I have several I really enjoy doing and dealing with the cleints. It would be nice though to know you did not have to do it unless you felt like it.

ProLawns
08-19-2005, 02:54 PM
I would probably do about 10 of my nicer properties. I'm looking forward to the day when I don't have to work so hard but I can't imagine stopping completely. I would really miss it.

LwnmwrMan22
08-19-2005, 03:31 PM
I'm with the guys that would mow only.

I'd keep the schools that I've got, about 3 days / week of work for one guy working solo, and leave it at that.

RICHIE K
08-19-2005, 04:09 PM
I would still do it i love it

Richie K

www.kulakandcompany.com :blob3:

alwaysgreener
08-19-2005, 04:18 PM
Always greener would live on but with someone else in the driver seat. :)

freddyc
08-19-2005, 04:33 PM
Everyone has different goals as they go through life. Mine was/is to live comfortable while working as little as possible. At age 40 I've only worked "full time" 6 years out of the 40. While everyone else was at work mon thru fri, 9-5, I was out enjoying life doing all those things that most people got to do only on the weekends, if even then. If I had to do it over again I wouldnt change a thing. Once the years pass and you've spent it all working and no playing, you cant get that time back. Money is of no use if you dont make the time to enjoy it. For me the perfect mix of work/pleasure is about half and half. Working a 3 or 4 day work week makes me a very happy camper. Mowing is the best job I could have ever found because it pays well enough to allow me to work those limited hours and still make enough to live comfy. My wife quit her job a year ago, so we spend tons of fun time together now going out on "dates" an avg of 4 nites a week. So for me I'd rather work less and live more conservatively. Although I certainly respect those that are highly driven and work their tails off to make something of their business and pulling in the bigger bucks. I just hope they find the time to enjoy it at some point in their lives.

You are a very wise person.

You never know when your time is up or when you might get permanently sick... you can never go back.

RedWingsDet
08-19-2005, 04:47 PM
I'm not talking rich but could live OK. Would you continue to mow so you have more money or would you stop and enjoy the fruits of your labor ?
Or would you look for other kinds of work to supplement your income and break up the monotony of the same old thing all the time. Having multiple crews means for the sake of argument, would still be doing the same thing, since you are ultimately responsible for the results.

I would not continue mowing. I would try to get into another feild for supplemental income/something to do. Something like Electrical, Plumbing, Police Officer, or Firefighter.

Actually, I wouldnt mind being a firefighter, and doing mowing/landscaping 3 days a week.

MOOSE
08-19-2005, 04:48 PM
To tell you the truth, I only do what I'm doing cause I enjoy it. I enjoy it so much it is my hobby. If I wanted too I could quit mowing lawns and sit on a beach everyday or go golf. But that is not what I wanna Do! My family is very well to do and I'am somewhat there. Just not all the way. Back before I got in the biz for myself I worked for my father doing this and took winters off and vacationed in Tennesse where I have a house. Now that I went into biz for myself I'm plowing snow in winter and only go down south twice a year.

I just enjoy what I do. Plus the $$ ain't that bad.

Lux Lawn
08-19-2005, 04:55 PM
If my wife and I came into a chunk of money and didn't have to work anymore I would keep the business around with someone else running it.Maybe find a good partner and let him buy a small piece of the business.

topsites
08-19-2005, 04:58 PM

If I had a ton of money, I would spend a TON on advertising so I can do mowing only, I get tired of some of this really off the wall crap ppls ask me to do sometimes...

bobbygedd
08-19-2005, 05:10 PM
i would put on a white tuxedo, light up an 8 inch cuban cigar, and shoot grass on thier cars till they cried thier eyes out. then, i'd fire them for being a pita

prizeprop
08-19-2005, 05:44 PM
i would put on a white tuxedo, light up an 8 inch cuban cigar, and shoot grass on thier cars till they cried thier eyes out. then, i'd fire them for being a pita
and they would probably be more pissed off that you were being unproffesional by smoking on their property.

6'7 330
08-19-2005, 05:52 PM
I will let know,after the final papers for the sellout are signed lol.

HighGrass
08-19-2005, 05:58 PM
I'm 46 this year and have been mowing on and off since I was a kid (9). Only in the last three years have i gooten seriuos about it.

If I came into some money where I was comfortable, I'd still mow. Mostly because I like the work, the smell of fresh cut grass and the look of a well manicured lawn. I also like the solitude of being solo. I take about thirty to forty minutes everyday for lunch, read the paper and listen to the radio. I don't think I could ever stop.

rodfather
08-19-2005, 06:28 PM
Still mow, just a lot less. I'll let you know Mac :D

twindiddy
08-19-2005, 06:56 PM
There ain't nothin' like the smell of fresh cut grass!

dvmcmrhp52
08-19-2005, 07:17 PM
Keep on cuttin the primo props and forget the rest.
A person needs to stay busy doing something no matter how much is in the matress................Right Rod????? :waving:

KINGjosh
08-19-2005, 07:20 PM
I drop mowing and open up a plant nursery. That is really my hobby, growing things.

shepoutside
08-19-2005, 07:29 PM

Well said, and this is my plan also, as this is the first year, of just mowing, and taking more time to live. I just mow, a Government Contract, and work 3 days a week, and use my boat, or take my Beemer out, for cycle trips, and enjoy time with my Wife ( she has MS, and dosn't work now ). If I won a ton of money, I'd probably quit it all, but love the 3 day work week :)

rodfather
08-19-2005, 07:54 PM
Keep on cuttin the primo props and forget the rest.
A person needs to stay busy doing something no matter how much is in the matress................Right Rod????? :waving:

You know it Dave :D

J-Dubb
08-19-2005, 09:01 PM
Looks like Robby has it figured out. I need to follow in his footsteps. How about becoming my mentor, Robby???? Hell we live close together too, I'm about twenty miles west of you...........

Turfcutters Plus
08-20-2005, 02:22 AM
Bobby that was funnier than hell!! :D

jtrice11
08-20-2005, 12:00 PM

IF I didn't need the money, I'd be fishing on the Gulf of Mexico and mowing grass would be THE LAST THING ON MY MIND!

robby
08-20-2005, 12:14 PM
IF I didn't need the money, I'd be fishing on the Gulf of Mexico and mowing grass would be THE LAST THING ON MY MIND!

Ditto!....Its funny you mention that. Heres an idea to any of those guys who have winters off and can get away for a month or two. You can rent a condo on the beach in Mexico for quite cheap when rented for a month. Last year we stayed in a beach condo in cancun for around $900 for the month. Other places in Mexico are even cheaper. You can find apartments renting in Puerto Vallarta for $500 for a month. Staying in a resort area in Mexico still can cost a whole lot less than living here in the US. Not to mention getting away from the cold midwest winters. :) Now if you have kids or a wife that has a job, then staying for a month isnt an option.

jtrice11
08-20-2005, 12:49 PM
Ditto!....Its funny you mention that. Heres an idea to any of those guys who have winters off and can get away for a month or two. You can rent a condo on the beach in Mexico for quite cheap when rented for a month. Last year we stayed in a beach condo in cancun for around $900 for the month. Other places in Mexico are even cheaper. You can find apartments renting in Puerto Vallarta for $500 for a month. Staying in a resort area in Mexico still can cost a whole lot less than living here in the US. Not to mention getting away from the cold midwest winters. :) Now if you have kids or a wife that has a job, then staying for a month isnt an option.

My goal is to buy a house on a canal somewhere around Ft. Myers, Cape Coral area, buy a 30' Grady-White and spend my days bopping around the Gulf of Mexico and the Caloosahachi River playing my Jimmy Buffet CD and partying with Captain Morgan!

MTR
08-20-2005, 01:13 PM
My goal is to buy a house on a canal somewhere around Ft. Myers, Cape Coral area, buy a 30' Grady-White and spend my days bopping around the Gulf of Mexico and the Caloosahachi River playing my Jimmy Buffet CD and partying with Captain Morgan!

How about 4 major hurricanes last year? No easy, how about evacuating? You abandoned everything, and you can 't do nothing about it. Just keep it in limit, please.

Ric
08-20-2005, 01:57 PM

Jtrice

Cabbage Key is where you get that Hamburger Jimmy wrote about and a short trip North from there you could dock at his sister dock. Been quite a while, but I have had the pleasure of his company one time. I believe you have found boaters Paradise. But water fronts lots are priced way out of sight. The rest of the world has found it also. I can only say I knew it "when".

LwnmwrMan22
08-20-2005, 10:12 PM
Jtrice

Cabbage Key is where you get that Hamburger Jimmy wrote about and a short trip North from there you could dock at his sister dock. Been quite a while, but I have had the pleasure of his company one time. I believe you have found boaters Paradise. But water fronts lots are priced way out of sight. The rest of the world has found it also. I can only say I knew it "when".

Ric -

Another one of those "DANGIT, I KNEW I should have bought that land when I was offered!", huh?? :D

shortgut
08-21-2005, 01:22 AM
Actually do not really ned the money now but I do it mainly to have something to do but am seriously thinking about running for the Justice OF the Peace position the next time it come up for election instead of just letting the person that has it now have a unoposed position nobody run againist him last time so I figure why not give him a run for his money and it is not a full time job just part time so I am looking at that possibility at least I know that I would have a job for 4 years anyway for the most part it has a/c. JUst got to figure if I can be a JP and a school bus driver too that might really be a good position to be in just file charges again misbehaving little darlings

jtrice11
08-21-2005, 12:17 PM
Jtrice

You are sooo right, the rest of the world has unfortunately found paradise. I've been to Cabbage Key. Love it. Love everything down there actually, except the except the exploding population. I wish I had some money about 5 years ago, could have gotten a water front lot for 200K w/ house on it. My parents had a corner water lot, bought the house for 340, two and half years later, they got 680K. THey also had a condo they bought for 170 and sold it for 350K. Unreal!

Ric
08-21-2005, 01:28 PM
You are sooo right, the rest of the world has unfortunately found paradise. I've been to Cabbage Key. Love it. Love everything down there actually, except the except the exploding population. I wish I had some money about 5 years ago, could have gotten a water front lot for 200K w/ house on it. My parents had a corner water lot, bought the house for 340, two and half years later, they got 680K. THey also had a condo they bought for 170 and sold it for 350K. Unreal!

J

You just can't believe the economical effect Hurricane Charlie has brought to this area. Scum Ball investors swooped in to take advantage and found property prices so low, they were will to pay top dollar. 20% of property transfers are to corporations. A home on the market before the hurricane was listed at $ 425K. After the Cane with over $ 150K in damages it sold for $ 550K and was bull dozed. A year later that property is selling for $ 700K. Just UNBELIEVABLE.

In the mean time wages and cost of service by contractors have not gone up proportionally. The working class man looks good on paper because of the increased value of his home. But he is starving to death in the mean time as are those on fixed income. With gas prices effecting everything, I can for see a real problem in what I believe is a very false economy in the USA today. I now fear my own retirement issues and have decided to go back to work as a safety factor. I am debating whether to go back in business or just take a job at this point. I do like my area and desire to stay here.

jtrice11
08-23-2005, 01:23 PM
J

You just can't believe the economical effect Hurricane Charlie has brought to this area. Scum Ball investors swooped in to take advantage and found property prices so low, they were will to pay top dollar. 20% of property transfers are to corporations. A home on the market before the hurricane was listed at $ 425K. After the Cane with over $ 150K in damages it sold for $ 550K and was bull dozed. A year later that property is selling for $ 700K. Just UNBELIEVABLE.

Wow Ric, I didn't know that. What a shame. I wish you the best.

mrusk
08-23-2005, 01:39 PM
Fack mowing! I'd rather be laying pavers or wall block everyday instead. I only mow because it is there every week. Mowing keeps me from worrying so much.

Matt

jtrice11
08-23-2005, 02:01 PM
Fack mowing! I'd rather be laying pavers or wall block everyday instead. I only mow because it is there every week. Mowing keeps me from worrying so much.

Matt

HOw hard is putting down pavers?

John Gamba
08-23-2005, 02:24 PM
If I had more money, I would do JUST mowing...that seems to be the most enjoyable....

Joe
Thats what i do. it fun when you dont have to worry about anything like weather.
John