PDA

View Full Version : Fall season mowing

adam5557
08-19-2005, 01:57 PM
Hey guys as the fall season is approaching I need to come up with a way to keep mowing when the leaves fall. How do you guys deal with the fall months. I was thinking about either bagging the lawns to pick up leaves which would be time consuming or for the houses i can blow the leaves into the street for the city to pick up and charge w/e.Also what is an idea of how much extra to charge for these extra services. Thanks any ideas would help me out alot.thank you .Adam

LawnScapers of Dayton
08-19-2005, 02:29 PM
I maintain the regular mowing schedule through September. If there are more leaves than can be shredded with one pass. I will double cut the lawn and charge accordingly. As of Oct 1, I switch to bi-weekly visits with the focus on leaves instead of grass. Typically I charge 2.5x the normal mowing rate to take care of leaves. The final visit includes blowing all leaves out of the flower beds and a final clean up of the lawn.

This system works for me because the biweekly visits typically take only 50% longer than a normal mowing service. Therefore I maintain my monthly income, with half the stops each week and my overhead per customer is cut nearly in half......

Your best bet is to mulch the leaves with double gator blades as long as you can. Then when the leaves get too deep, mulch them 2-3 times then bag whatever is still there. I typically only have to empty my bagger 3-4 times for a normal 1/2 acre lot, after mulching.

Derek