PDA

View Full Version : Convertibles New Mower For 06!!!

John Gamba
08-19-2005, 03:31 PM
Not bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll have more later.

John

John Gamba
08-19-2005, 03:32 PM

John Gamba
08-19-2005, 03:33 PM
Lots of room for a bog air cleaner now.
John

John Gamba
08-19-2005, 03:53 PM
Thats BIG air cleaner

Envy Lawn Service
08-19-2005, 04:53 PM
Yeah, I'd say they have made some improvements

John Gamba
08-19-2005, 04:54 PM
Yeah, I'd say they have made some improvements

Not bad :D :D :D The seat is lower,Wider tires,Engine in rear :D It will be at Expo :D

I might have to go :D

John

Oh more soon :waving:

Lux Lawn
08-19-2005, 05:00 PM
The perfect mower for the old lady who doesn't want the riding mower on her lawn.

John Gamba
08-19-2005, 05:02 PM
The perfect mower for the old lady who doesn't want the riding mower on her lawn.

I was just thinking that. Those small front yards with small low trees and bigger back yards :cool2:

John

topsites
08-19-2005, 05:03 PM

It does look like a home-owner's type of thing was what I was thinking too.

South Florida Lawns
08-19-2005, 05:10 PM
I could use one of those. What was the make of that machine? Looks like a 5 gal fuel tank, wonder if thats enough or would you have to fill it more often on the big properties? Other than that great innovative design, I like it.

John Gamba
08-19-2005, 05:11 PM
It does look like a home-owner's type of thing was what I was thinking too.

Its getting more commercial every year. This is a big step forward.

John

John Gamba
08-19-2005, 05:15 PM
I could use one of those. What was the make of that machine? Looks like a 5 gal fuel tank, wonder if thats enough or would you have to fill it more often on the big properties? Other than that great innovative design, I like it.

I think if its full when you start, it will cut the whole lawn before it runs out. I dont mind filling it on the trailer.

John

John Gamba
08-19-2005, 06:30 PM
Envy!

One of the biggest complaints was a small Laud muffler :cry: I think this one has a bigger one, Take a look :D

impactlandscaping
08-19-2005, 06:39 PM
John, I'm still waiting for my demo..lol..They have made great strides forward to make it into the entry level of commercial machines. Looks a lot different than the one I first saw at Expo in 2002. I hope they have one at the outdoor demo area.

Bill

John Gamba
08-19-2005, 06:55 PM
John, I'm still waiting for my demo..lol..They have made great strides forward to make it into the entry level of commercial machines. Looks a lot different than the one I first saw at Expo in 2002. I hope they have one at the outdoor demo area.

Bill

I think so. Let me get back to you. Its got allot of potential.
John

John Gamba
08-19-2005, 10:30 PM
ttt----------------------------------------

Envy Lawn Service
08-19-2005, 10:49 PM
The only thing I can SEE right off that looks like it could be a bit better is the front forks.

splatz100
08-19-2005, 10:54 PM
They need to rig up some kind of mount and holder for a sulky

John Gamba
08-20-2005, 09:51 AM
They need to rig up some kind of mount and holder for a sulky

Why would you ride on a sulky when you can ride on a seat. If its in walk mode i think the hill would be to much to ride.

John

John Gamba
08-20-2005, 09:57 AM
The only thing I can SEE right off that looks like it could be a bit better is the front forks.

Very true. I dont think i'm going to be able to get one for a proper demo this season.

I think i will be better off waiting till next season to try one. I'm looking into something different to try for mowing.

Ive narrowed it down to the new sentar. Ive heard its 19000 blade speed and there small and fast. Small and fast is what i need. I just email jim velky and asked why no 48" deck on the new sentar sport.

That mower looks like it would fit my needs NOW, but we will see.

John

Grass Man
08-20-2005, 10:03 AM
.... Thanks for showing :).

John Gamba
08-20-2005, 10:09 AM
.... Thanks for showing :).

Anytime :waving:

Runner
08-20-2005, 10:24 AM
Where's the little chicky they had for it in their ads??? THAT's what I want to see! :rolleyes:

John Gamba
08-20-2005, 10:27 AM
Where's the little chicky they had for it in their ads??? THAT's what I want to see! :rolleyes:

Hold on i'll get her :D How Yeall doing :waving:

Thirdpete
08-20-2005, 11:35 AM
what size/brand engine is on that?

John Gamba
08-20-2005, 01:18 PM
what size/brand engine is on that?

I think its a Kohler,22,25?

bmurrell
08-20-2005, 01:27 PM
Still not a DC never will be !

John Gamba
08-20-2005, 02:01 PM
Still not a DC never will be !

Can the children play some place else. Theres a dixie forum please use it. This company is very up and coming in the mowing business, and could be a Sponsor here. there mower is going to be in the fore front of this industry.

Hay hows the run behind :laugh:

John

John Gamba
08-25-2005, 04:04 PM
i found out the mower will be at 13MPH, it is still 64" long :D and alot shorter in walk mode :cool2:

More later.
John

John Gamba
08-25-2005, 06:19 PM

Bill

Bill
I do belive there will be one at the expo. Let me find out for sure :waving:

John

gogetter
08-25-2005, 07:20 PM
It's a strange thing about those mowers, they advertise a LOT, yet I've never seen one on a trailer, and I don't recall ever seeing anyone here mentioning that they have one.

It is looking better now, the seat use to look SO high up before!

It would be interesting to see how well they handle, how the controls feel and how it cuts.

John Gamba
08-25-2005, 07:25 PM
[QUOTE=gogetter]It's a strange thing about those mowers, they advertise a LOT, yet I've never seen one on a trailer, and I don't recall ever seeing anyone here mentioning that they have one.

It is looking better now,

the seat use to look SO high up before!

QUOTE]

Thats why :D

John Gamba
08-26-2005, 08:54 AM
I should know tonight about the 2006 Convertible at Expo.

John

John Gamba
08-26-2005, 05:32 PM
Convertible mower will have DEMOS at Expo!!!!!!!!!

John

John Gamba
08-26-2005, 09:54 PM
:waving: :waving: :waving: :waving:

HometownLawn
08-26-2005, 10:02 PM
so its a rider and a walk behind in one?..spiffy.

price?

OnMyOwn
08-26-2005, 11:38 PM
Earlier comment about DC - In my seasoned opinion, that stands for "Don't Cut"

John Gamba
08-27-2005, 07:40 AM
Earlier comment about DC - In my seasoned opinion, that stands for "Don't Cut"

In connecticut it means Dont cut good :waving:

LandscapeSolutions
08-27-2005, 08:03 AM
The mower looks like itd only work for homeowners/ light commercial use. The frame seems somewhat flimsy, the gas tank is small, the front castors look worse than homeowner ztrs castors, the deck looks like it might have reliability issues down the road. Otherwise its a well thought out concept. Im sure over the next few years they'll make a wider choice of models and a more commercial duty machine.

John Gamba
08-27-2005, 08:14 AM
The mower looks like itd only work for homeowners/ light commercial use. The frame seems somewhat flimsy, the gas tank is small, the front castors look worse than homeowner ztrs castors, the deck looks like it might have reliability issues down the road. Otherwise its a well thought out concept. Im sure over the next few years they'll make a wider choice of models and a more commercial duty machine.

For 10 years ive been waiting for this mower. They have made a very big step forward. i dont think it will be long before its a true commercial cutter.

I will post a pic of the last years model so you can see what they did to improve it.

John

John Gamba
08-27-2005, 08:18 AM
Here it is in ride mode.

John Gamba
08-27-2005, 08:20 AM
as you can see very high and cramped.

John

The Dude
08-27-2005, 09:12 AM
I see the seat is directly over the engine. Does your butt get heated? May be a good winter time mower. lol.

John Gamba
08-27-2005, 09:20 AM
I see the seat is directly over the engine. Does your butt get heated? May be a good winter time mower. lol.

Thats the old mower or old design. If you look at the top of the tread its been moved.
John

John Gamba
08-27-2005, 08:49 PM

Did you look at the new design?????

Cutter LLC
08-27-2005, 10:13 PM
There is a LCO that cuts a yard next to mine with a convertible mower and I asked him about it, he said it cut very well and has it parked behind his exmark on his trailer. He's cutting a weed infested yard though so I can't tell how it would cut some nice turf. He's not the most wealthy LCO and his wife drives him to the property in a minivan but he's a pretty nice guy and always waves at me while I cut 8 properties all around him lol. In fairness to him one is my house so I have the upper hand there. It seems like it does a fair job but is really slow, the higher ground speed, lower center of gravity, and larger rear tires should help this mower a lot. I was going to demo one on a property but found the hustler holds hills like a goat so I didn't. The people were incredibly nice though at the GIE.

Cutter LLC
08-27-2005, 10:16 PM
Sorry about the double post. Do you know if when switched into walk mode if the mph decrease or is there a setting to slow it down. Seems like it might get a little out of hand if not.

Dashunde
08-27-2005, 11:50 PM
That is one goofy mower... It may be "OK" in both modes, but its not going to do anything really well.
It looks kinda flimsy too, and I'll bet maintenance is a pain.

It smells like a homeowner gimick.

gogetter
08-28-2005, 12:27 AM
I love how some guys can make a complete assesment of a machine based on 2 or 3 photos! :rolleyes:

John Gamba
08-28-2005, 08:19 AM
Sorry about the double post. Do you know if when switched into walk mode if the mph decrease or is there a setting to slow it down. Seems like it might get a little out of hand if not.

You can move the metal bar behind the control levers so it wont go any-faster then needed. so if you only need it to go 3MPH just set the bar close. it takes a second to do this.

Let me see if i can get a close up for you.

John

John Gamba
08-28-2005, 08:21 AM
That is one goofy mower... It may be "OK" in both modes, but its not going to do anything really well.
It looks kinda flimsy too, and I'll bet maintenance is a pain.

It smells like a homeowner gimick.

Yeah and i'm going to listen to what you have to say :cry:

John

Dashunde
08-28-2005, 12:00 PM
Yeah and i'm going to listen to what you have to say :cry:

John

Damn! That was my goal, now my whole day is ruined.
You've been going on and on over this contraption, so buy one and give us the skinny. Until then all that is left is the pics...

Fundamentally it can not be a good long lasting mower... it totally defies the KISS principle which is paramount for a solid commercial machine.
eg.. Where there should be a nice chunk of steel bolted onto the frame as handlebars, there is instead a convoluted mass of rotating parts attached to a SINGLE sided "swing-arm" of sorts.

Give that thing 500 hours of commercial use and all of that junk is going to be as loose as a 5 year old ungreased sulky.

John Gamba
08-28-2005, 12:33 PM
Damn! That was my goal, now my whole day is ruined.
You've been going on and on over this contraption, so buy one and give us the skinny. Until then all that is left is the pics...

Fundamentally it can not be a good long lasting mower... it totally defies the KISS principle which is paramount for a solid commercial machine.
eg.. Where there should be a nice chunk of steel bolted onto the frame as handlebars, there is instead a convoluted mass of rotating parts attached to a SINGLE sided "swing-arm" of sorts.

Give that thing 500 hours of commercial use and all of that junk is going to be as loose as a 5 year old ungreased sulky.

YEUP. :cry: :cry: :cry:

John Gamba
08-30-2005, 04:04 PM
Ok now lets get back to making this mower over the top.

John

John Gamba
08-30-2005, 06:29 PM
:waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving:

Envy Lawn Service
08-30-2005, 06:37 PM
Ok now lets get back to making this mower over the top.

John

John,

I have serveral things to add to that. I'll put together a list and post it later on tonight if possible.

John Gamba
08-30-2005, 06:51 PM
John,

I have serveral things to add to that. I'll put together a list and post it later on tonight if possible.

Thank you. :waving:

John Gamba
08-30-2005, 07:49 PM
Thank you. :waving:

Come on envy :waving:

Envy Lawn Service
08-30-2005, 09:15 PM
OK John... I was cooking dinner and eating... and got suckered into cleaning up aftewards too.

So here is my list...

First of all, I want to say that I believe one of their biggest challenges is going to be getting customers... aka growth. Now, like it or not, and rather it really makes a flip or not... they are going to have to make the machine more asthetically pleasing. Yep, that's right... they are going to have to shift to a little more common look and add some eye candy.... eXmark for eXample has figured out this concept. A common styled mower that is pretty sells. Rather that truely makes any real sense, it is fact. I for one think that Encore has finally accepted this and is now testing the waters with their Extreme 52 which will likely be a stellar seller for them.

Anyways, I just wanted to point that out because I will make several style references which will be percieved as having nothing to do with upgrading performance.

First of all, it looks better than it did here... but they really have to get away from the Snapper rear engine rider look.

http://www.convertiblemower.com/images/dethatcher1.gif

They need to embrace the common rail buggy look and in this case, also duel tanks over the tires. Like so...

http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductCatalog/GC/media/images/product/667a_400241_p.jpg

http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductCatalog/GC/media/images/series/ztr/quik_trak/667a_400244_2col.jpg

And as much as I hate to give this crap company free press
http://www.yazookees.com/Files/products/large/Y210-0005.gif

The foot plate could also use a more normal look. Lesco/Cub uses a flip-up one piece footplate with a wedge formed out of a single sheet of diamond plate. This would look good and also be very functional on the convertible mower.

Now I will move on to the actual usefull mechanical, design and performance points.

Envy Lawn Service
08-30-2005, 09:53 PM
Now on the mechanical end of things, starting from the front and going back...

The minimum standard for front tires should be no less than 13x6.5-6 front tires for all ride-on Z's.

As previously mentioned, the front forks also need work.
Heavier common looking forks and beefier larger fork bearings, as in tapered rollers.

The whole deck suspension and lift leaves a LOT to be desired.
This needs to be standardized all the way around and to a normal lift and height selector.
The way this application looks, I would highly recommend the Lesco ZTR type suspension system. It's pull from the front design would work well here, plus I am a fan of their threaded rod pitch adjustment as well as their right to left leveling at the links, although it does not float as freely as chain suspension.

The metal discharge shield has also got to go!
Anything short of Toro's new rubber chute/shield is second best both in form and function.

From the pictures, it still looks like the seat height could be lowered a good bit more if needed without being too close over the pumps. And here again, I'm going to suggest another Lesco part. Their new for '05 seat. Very comfortable, formed and contoured, light grey, fold down AND adjustable back, fold up AND adjustable ARMRESTS, low profile, and available suspension.

As mentioned previously, dual over the tire tanks for better fuel capacity.

In the engine bay, with the mower being that short coupled, I don't like the Kohler or the standard air filtration. Mainly this is because of the exhaust. I see the unique shield... but employees would probably manage to get their legs against it for a nice burn. I'd rather see (you guessed it!) what I have on my Lesco. The short coupled 25hp Kawasaki with the canister air filtration... and Lesco's small tube muffler, which is the same orientation as the muffler on the convertible. But I believe it would rest "in-frame".... (refer to the riding mow pic of the '06 for the best view). I would also probably be looking into some 'space-age' cool to touch shielding too.

I'm betting the mower will also need some rear weights for traction.

As for the motion control setup, I can't tell.
But I'm not at all concerned about the "extra moving parts."

John Gamba
08-31-2005, 07:15 AM
Thanks Envy!!!!!!! Off to R&D we go :waving:

John Gamba
09-02-2005, 07:49 PM
If you are from Fishers Indiana!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please call convertible mower as soon as you can!!!!!!!!! I think they have a demo for you!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a great Holiday!!!!!

John

John Gamba
09-06-2005, 07:54 AM
If you are from Fishers Indiana!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please call convertible mower as soon as you can!!!!!!!!! I think they have a demo for you!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a great Holiday!!!!!

John

I hope you got this!!!!!!!!

John Gamba
09-12-2005, 03:27 PM
I hope you got this!!!!!!!!

Well did you?????????

John

John Gamba
09-21-2005, 08:19 AM
More good news!!!!! convertible is hanging the deck a different way for 06!!I'll see if i can find out more.

John