PDA

View Full Version : ferris wb not throwing grass far............

sjw1176
08-19-2005, 04:43 PM
just curious why my ferris wb isnt shooting grass good....compared to my gravely the ferris isnt right....any solutions

thanks,

John Gamba
08-19-2005, 04:57 PM
just curious why my ferris wb isnt shooting grass good....compared to my gravely the ferris isnt right....any solutions

thanks,

Try Double blades. Or How old is the mower.

John

rodfather
08-19-2005, 05:32 PM
Too little info to help. Need to know:

1. What machine is it (deck size, deck height, horsepower, etc.)
2. Blades you are using
3. Grass conditions
4. Property conditions
5. Etc., etc., etc.

Drew Gemma
08-19-2005, 05:43 PM
nothing will out throw a gravley you make 2 saftey passes and the dam thing still throws grass on the roof of the house. I like air flow but they need to tone it down a bit.

NAT
08-19-2005, 05:53 PM
MY gravely 150 throws the grass ,have you cleaned the deck or use high lift blades.

Dashunde
08-19-2005, 05:59 PM
My Gravely will launch the crud too.
It's part of the reason I went to mulching... I never could get far enough away from the beds and stuff.
Now I'm running double mulchers (one Gator type + oem) with near-zero bog and I'm getting a fantastic cut out of it, especially for mulching.

As for the Ferris... Did it used to pitch the clippings further and now it is not?
I've noticed that the Ferris' around here dont really seem to throw it far.
They stripe real well though.

Compared to a Gravely, the Ferris shouldnt throw far.

rodfather
08-19-2005, 06:01 PM
I've had almost nothing but Ferris machines for the past 11 years...never a problem throwing the grass either btw.

John Gamba
08-19-2005, 06:04 PM
I've had almost nothing but Ferris machines for the past 11 years...never a problem throwing the grass either btw.

Try an exmark to see how the grass gets throw. :waving:

naturescape
08-20-2005, 09:23 AM
It's a Ferris.

waffletown20
08-20-2005, 10:17 AM
Try opening up chute or taking it off. You might get a couple extra feet.

MTR
08-20-2005, 12:25 PM
It's a Ferris.

Naturescape, how is your Bunton WB with a Z control? Do you like it? How is it compared to ECS of eXmark? I have not seen a single guy running a Bunton WB with new system so if you can chime in, it will be so informative and truely appreciated a bunch.
regards,

all ferris
08-20-2005, 12:49 PM
I have had a problem with a couple of my ferris wb's not throwing grass like I feel they should. I have no problem with my ferris ztr's but the 52" and smaller wb's do have some problems. On mine the grass seems to be thrown down as soon as it leaves the chute (it should throw out more). High lift blades will solve this problem but they use much more gas than regular lifts. Ferris is supposed to be comming out with a new deck for the wb. To fix my problem I think I'm going to experiment with different pulleys to get more tip speed.

BTW - Ferris does know that this is a problem.

Don't get me wrong, This is the only problem I have with Ferris. They make a great machine. And if anyone from Ferris reads this PM me please.

liquidforcedude7
08-20-2005, 01:52 PM
I hate how my 42" tractor throws it 4-5 stripes away straight out to the side its soo much blowing :realmad:

naturescape
08-20-2005, 02:58 PM
Naturescape, how is your Bunton WB with a Z control? Do you like it? How is it compared to ECS of eXmark? I have not seen a single guy running a Bunton WB with new system so if you can chime in, it will be so informative and truely appreciated a bunch.
regards,

I have both those mowers. The problem with the Buntons is price -- $6400 for the 17hpES 48" floating deck mower vs. $5400 for the ExM.

The Bunton is effortless to use, the Exmark is a bit faster because of its quick pinpoint control. I think the Bunton discharges grass even better than the Exmark, and the ExM impressed me. The Bunton does not throw it as far, but the dispersal is more even. Also, no problems with blow-out on the Bunton.

I bought the Bunton with a fixed deck, which I don't like. After writing to Bunton about it, they are replacing it this coming week with the floating deck, at minimal loss to me. Seems you really need the floating deck with the z setup........

I have been switching off between both mowers, they are both good machines. After a day using the Bunton tho, there is no stress on my hands.

One thing about the Bunton -- it took a while to get used to the controls, because I have only used pistol grips or a form thereof since 1986! (pistols, Snapper loop steering, ExM ecs)

rodfather
08-20-2005, 04:07 PM
[QUOTE=naturescape]I have both those mowers. The problem with the Buntons is price -- $6400 for the 17hpES 48" floating deck mower vs. $5400 for the ExM.QUOTE]

6400 for a 48??? You gotta be kiddin me. I can buy a Ferris 61" with a 23 Kawi for 6100...I have a bunch of them

naturescape
08-20-2005, 05:18 PM
[QUOTE=naturescape]I have both those mowers. The problem with the Buntons is price -- $6400 for the 17hpES 48" floating deck mower vs. $5400 for the ExM.QUOTE]

6400 for a 48??? You gotta be kiddin me. I can buy a Ferris 61" with a 23 Kawi for 6100...I have a bunch of them

I'll take the Bunton. Sorry, just don't like the feel of Ferris controls or the cut they leave.

rodfather
08-20-2005, 06:15 PM
[QUOTE=rodfather]

I'll take the Bunton. Sorry, just don't like the feel of Ferris controls or the cut they leave.

Fine then...not everyone can stand up to pistol grips repeatedly all day long.

BTW if they are so great then, what are they? They're virtually non-existant in the Northeast and I have been mowing full time now for over 11 years. Truthfully, I have never seen one....ever.

John Gamba
08-20-2005, 06:25 PM
[QUOTE=naturescape]

BTW if they are so great then, what are they? They're virtually non-existant in the Northeast and I have been mowing full time now for over 11 years. Truthfully, I have never seen one....ever.

Hi Mr Rodfather

They said that about Exmark 12 or so years ago.

John

rodfather
08-20-2005, 06:35 PM
[QUOTE=rodfather]

Hi Mr Rodfather

They said that about Exmark 12 or so years ago.

John

Have you seen them (Bunton) in CT John?

John Gamba
08-20-2005, 06:45 PM
[QUOTE=John Gamba]

Have you seen them (Bunton) in CT John?

Yes, but some years ago. they are mostly in Boston and lower Massachusetts.
John

They are a Textron company.

naturescape
08-20-2005, 08:28 PM
[QUOTE=naturescape]

Like I said, price. They are the most expensive wb's out there.

By the way, are you calling me a wussie? LOL I used pistol grips daily from 1986 to 2000. Let's face it, they suck.

rodfather
08-21-2005, 12:15 AM
[QUOTE=rodfather]

Like I said, price. They are the most expensive wb's out there.

By the way, are you calling me a wussie? LOL I used pistol grips daily from 1986 to 2000. Let's face it, they suck.

Most expensive maybe. Still non-existant here. I've used pistol grips for 11 years...no one wants to shake my hand LOL.

naturescape
08-21-2005, 12:25 AM
[QUOTE=naturescape]

Most expensive maybe. Still non-existant here. I've used pistol grips for 11 years...no one wants to shake my hand LOL.

Well, also keep in mind these mowers have only been out for a couple years now also.

MTR
08-21-2005, 02:06 AM
Are you kiddddding me...on $ 6400 for 48"/17 kawi ES? You can get full size eXmark TT 52"/23 kawi for that price! What is in the $6400? electromagnatic PTO clutch like Z? No wonder , no one uses Bunton new walk down here. Oh well, thank a bunch for sharing some insight about your Bunton. It is an eye opener. I know you like your a lot. I'd better stick with my TTHP's ECS. Thanks.

naturescape
08-21-2005, 09:03 AM
Are you kiddddding me...on $ 6400 for 48"/17 kawi ES? You can get full size eXmark TT 52"/23 kawi for that price! What is in the $6400? electromagnatic PTO clutch like Z? No wonder , no one uses Bunton new walk down here. Oh well, thank a bunch for sharing some insight about your Bunton. It is an eye opener. I know you like your a lot. I'd better stick with my TTHP's ECS. Thanks.

The z control setup on the wb is what makes it expensive. You can still get these mowers with standard pistol grips too.

When I bought my 48", the dealer had 3 new 52"s, with 21kaws for $5K each. It's a shame they would not fit into many of my yards.....

LwnmwrMan22
08-21-2005, 09:36 AM
I have / had (2) Ferris IS4000s 27 hp / 60".

The first one would flat out not throw grass if it was at all wet, just roll it out the deck in a big roll.

Eventually, Ferris brought out new decks, with the front-middle of the nose of the deck brought forward about 3-4 inches.

It was not only because I complained I know, but after about 3 months of me calling my dealer, who was constantly calling the rep, they said they'd change the deck.

The sent a new deck, but I was responsible for changing all the pulleys, guage wheels, etc., over, which I thought was pretty chicken-bleep since they're the ones that decided there is / was a design flaw.

My dealer ended up covering the cost of the labor of switching everything over, they too thought it was a crappy deal.

My second IS4000 I bought, the dealer had it on the showfloor for a little over a year. I didn't really want it, but the Toro I had on the trailer was starting to get a little old, and the dealer kept bugging me to buy the IS4000 so he could move the machine. We settled on a price that I was extremely happy with.

Now the second IS4000 I have still, it's got the new (since 2003) deck under it. IMO, the problem that Ferris has is their decks are too shallow.

I traded my first Ferris in on a new Kubota. The 60" Pro-deck on the Kubota is almost twice as deep as the Ferris. Same thing goes for Exmark, they have a deep deck.

I believe that if a deck isn't over 4-5" deep, that you're not going to get the proper airflow through it, therefore not going to get the discharge.

I love my IS4000 for the ride, but if it's at all wet outside, it just stays on the trailer. Same thing if I'm on a yard that's got quite a few dandelions, I don't even start it.

Most of the time I'm on the Kubota. The Ferris has pretty much turned into a backup mower.