PDA

View Full Version : Lesco 60" Z Two, any Comments

cglass1
08-19-2005, 06:21 PM
I've been shopping for a new ZTR for my 3 acres. Looked at Scag, Exmark, Hustler, Gravely and Kubota. Based on my review, the Lesco is by far and away the best deal for the money. Any comments on the brand? The one I'm looking at has a 25hp Kawasaki engine, 24x12" rear tires and other features that are appealing to me.

Thanks,

Tony

southlin
08-19-2005, 06:25 PM
well Tony, dont know sh*t bout lesco but exmark is by far my favorite.

I have 52'' for 3 years know mowing comm. and havent changed anything other than the regular maint.

depends on what feels comfortable

cglass1
08-19-2005, 06:32 PM
I looked at the Exmark LazerZ HP 52" and liked it alot. But the best price I could find was $7k or more. I am able to get the 60" Lesco for $5999. The only thing I found with the Lesco that is lowere grade was the deck is 10gauge versus 7 with most of the others.

wriken
08-19-2005, 07:23 PM
Its probably the same build as the other mowers, most mowers are 7 and 10 guage. I have a 2001 cub, with over 1000 hours, and the deck is as good as shape as my 2004 mower.

cglass1
08-19-2005, 07:32 PM
Additional features I like about the Lesco is the roller across the back providing a built-in striping kit. Also the pivot points have zerk fittings, for greasing when needed. I'm not really sold on the sealed bearings.

cglass1
08-19-2005, 07:38 PM
I really like this site. It has provided a wealth of information to me, and helped me in making my decision. So many informative posts. I was considering getting a light kit for the mower I buy. Any thoughts on those? Do they provide adequate lighting to mow late in the evening?

southlin
08-19-2005, 07:43 PM
well then it depends on the terrain of the 3 acres. if its smooth then u can go with the cheaper mower and make out just fine. But if its rough, the best investment in the long run would be the exmark or even the scag if your pockets are deep enough.

gravely make a good residential home edition i think is tougher than most home editions. take a look at them :)

wriken
08-19-2005, 07:49 PM
The cubs/lesco's are tough mowers, just like the rest of them, we cut around 140 acres, and they hold up great. Check this link out, here is some of the wear on the blades that they and the decks go thru.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=113357

I scanned some info about the decks, hopefully it will work. :)

cglass1
08-19-2005, 08:10 PM
The terrain is flat. The only problem may be the minor ruts created from my old heavy dependable Ford 9N tractor that has been providing my lawn care duty for the last 15 years with a pull behind 60" Befco finishing mower. It's provided a good service. But I think it's time to end this relationship.

southlin
08-19-2005, 08:25 PM
Sorry guys, not bashing lesco at all. But ive never even sat on one.

if they are a good price and dependable as they say they are. Then yeah, get it

hope i helped, gonna have to check out the lesco's myself. see what they are all about

qualitylandscaping
08-19-2005, 11:39 PM
I run pretty much all Lesco mowers..

Have several 60" Z-Twos and they are great mowers.. Although, I do not have many good things to say about the 2005 model.. Have had my newest one in the shop almost weekly.. All of the others from 2003 and 2004 have been doing great.. They did alot of redesigning for 2005 and they did a half ass job at best with the new designs..

They are still good mowers though. Good luck!

Turf Lady
08-20-2005, 09:30 AM
Hi everyone :waving:
I have a lesco mower, used a 60' until mine came in, loved it. used it in different enviroments and had no problems. I have a 54' and I have sat or used a variety of the other mowers and it all comes down to this what you are used to and what makes you comfortable. Price and down time is important to.
Compact and built heavy duty, love my lesco :D

cglass1
08-20-2005, 11:47 AM
Well, since I have no experience with ZTRs, I'm not used to anything like that. But the Lesco (and others) do seem to offer a pretty comfortable position for cutting. I drove a couple of different ones yesterday, and steering using the levers will take a little getting used to. But, I'm really excited about getting one. I never thought I'd actually look forward to cutting grass.

davechick12
08-20-2005, 01:30 PM
Although, I do not have many good things to say about the 2005 model.. Have had my newest one in the shop almost weekly.

What kind of problems? and is 25 hp enough for a 60in ztr

wriken
08-20-2005, 05:56 PM
Although, I do not have many good things to say about the 2005 model.. Have had my newest one in the shop almost weekly.
What kind of problems? and is 25 hp enough for a 60in ztr

Whats up with the 05's, My old 60" has a 23 kaw on it, runs good.

Runner
08-20-2005, 06:26 PM
My neighbor just bought one. He bought the 54" with the 23hp Kaw.. It feels good, rides nice, and has plenty of room. The only thing I didn't like about it was the reverse was just SO slow. It makes it hard to even do a 3 point turn (used to the lazer). There are stops on the bars (steel). we unbloted these and took them off. This improved it a bit, but it is still slow. Another thing, is that you have no access to the hydros without taking the whole bolted plate off under the seat.

bondman35a
08-20-2005, 06:38 PM
lesco's are all I run. Like i have said before everyone around me has at least one lecso. My 60" ZTwo is an great machine and i recommend getting one, for the price you can't go wrong.

olderthandirt
08-20-2005, 07:06 PM
Forget the lites -- waste of time
And I would demo any mower your thinking of buying on your prop. I know that those tire rut don't feel like much on a 9n but they can feel like the grand cayon on a Z

Envy Lawn Service
08-20-2005, 09:37 PM
My neighbor just bought one. He bought the 54" with the 23hp Kaw.. It feels good, rides nice, and has plenty of room. The only thing I didn't like about it was the reverse was just SO slow. It makes it hard to even do a 3 point turn (used to the lazer). There are stops on the bars (steel). we unbloted these and took them off. This improved it a bit, but it is still slow. Another thing, is that you have no access to the hydros without taking the whole bolted plate off under the seat.

Runner,

Had the same thing with mine and couldn't figure it out. But after a bit of time I did. He needs to take it back and make the shop jack the rear wheels off the ground and set the forward/reverse tracking to ZERO creep with no load at full RPM.

This makes a huge difference believe it or not. My right tire would hardly move in reverse. Now it's fine. I did the adjustment myself. But this was a HUGE pain because it is soooo sensitive and the adjusters are not in an easy place to get to.

Envy Lawn Service
08-20-2005, 09:46 PM
Oh... and I forgot to add... I like the 23/52" Lazer Z HP... It's a nice machine... Very well built... And precison quality... But SORRY... It's not even in the same league as the 60" Z Two... Not in any catagory...

parttimer
08-20-2005, 09:49 PM
My new z two has 150hrs and it seem to be great . The cut is nice and the strips are to. You will be glad you saved the two grand.If its for home use you will be fine for many years to come. :blob3: :blob3:

Ketron'sLawnService
08-20-2005, 11:53 PM
I have a comparison question between the Cub and Lesco....It looked like the cub had more settings for deck height adjustment...is this true? I compared a pic from a Lesco and one from a Cub. Also, do the lesco's have the same size pumps and wheel motors as a comparable size Cub? I was interested in the M60 tank at my local dealer. They are asking $7999 on sale (probably won't go lower than 7200-7500 on it). Then i looked at the lesco, and it's $6299 for practically the same thing. So whats the differences? Does cub private label manufacture for lesco? It looks fairly obvious that they do but i still just wanted to know how they are working it. And my final comparison question....i noticed that the Lesco has no dump collection system listed on their website.....so will the cub's system just bolt right on since it's the same mower with different paint? My only downfall is that the nearest Lesco center is 75 miles away. :(

wriken
08-21-2005, 08:20 AM
I have a comparison question between the Cub and Lesco....It looked like the cub had more settings for deck height adjustment...is this true? I compared a pic from a Lesco and one from a Cub. Also, do the lesco's have the same size pumps and wheel motors as a comparable size Cub? I was interested in the M60 tank at my local dealer. They are asking $7999 on sale (probably won't go lower than 7200-7500 on it). Then i looked at the lesco, and it's $6299 for practically the same thing. So whats the differences? Does cub private label manufacture for lesco? It looks fairly obvious that they do but i still just wanted to know how they are working it. And my final comparison question....i noticed that the Lesco has no dump collection system listed on their website.....so will the cub's system just bolt right on since it's the same mower with different paint? My only downfall is that the nearest Lesco center is 75 miles away. :(

If the lesco has less adjustment holes, you can change to the plates that has 1/4" hole increments instead of 1/2" increments, but if the lesco's a 2003/04 it should have the more adjustment plates. maybe the pic of the lesco was an old one, I have a 2001 cub, and I put the 1/4" plates on it. The 03 and 04 that I have has the more hole plates. There the identical machine, everything that will fit the cub will fit the lesco, pumps/motors are the same, also some of the other mower company's use the same pump/hyd motor combo's. I have 2 60's and a 72" cub tanks, and a 52" hydro MTD pro, and a 36" belt MYD. The tanks like your looking at has had very, very little shop time, My dealer is about 35 miles away. They use parker hyd. motors and I believe hydo-gear pumps. Both big names in hydo systems. Overall I'm very happy with the cub/lesco/mtd mower's :)