PDA

View Full Version : whats the deal with balancing blades?

GreenGrassEarnsCash
08-19-2005, 07:45 PM
hey i was wondering what it means to balance blades and why so many people talk about it i have never heard of this before i joined lawnsite

Jason Rose
08-19-2005, 08:32 PM
To balance a blade is to make it so that both sides (picture the center of the bolt hole as being the center) the exact same weight, so as to not cause an imbalance when rotating at 16,000 fpm (blade tip) or so.

I have never really balanced a blade in my life. run a search on here and you will find that most people don't. I do have a set of blades that cause vibration, I'd love to know if one is out of balance or not, but hanging a blade on a nail is not accurate at all... and I really can't see spending 100+ bucks on a balancer.

Nosmo
08-19-2005, 08:59 PM
I sharpen my 3-blades with a belt sander (hand held) and of course the blades are clamped down. To check the balance without any store bought equipment is easy. Use a nail which is driven into a wall and put the blade on it. No matter which position you place it there should not be any movement . No matter if it is perpendicular with the ground or at eight o'clock and two o'clock. If there is any
movement which indicates heavy on that side grind some metal off.

Nosmo

PS: By putting the blade on the nail I need to be clearer. Put the blade's center hole on the nail. Move it around to be sure there is
no movement by itself.

stumper1620
08-19-2005, 09:00 PM
To balance a blade is to make it so that both sides (picture the center of the bolt hole as being the center) the exact same weight, so as to not cause an imbalance when rotating at 16,000 fpm (blade tip) or so.

I have never really balanced a blade in my life. run a search on here and you will find that most people don't. I do have a set of blades that cause vibration, I'd love to know if one is out of balance or not, but hanging a blade on a nail is not accurate at all... and I really can't see spending 100+ bucks on a balancer.
90 bucks for a really acurate one, scroll midway down this page.
http://www.saw-toolsharpening.com/lawnmowerSharpening01.html

Scotts' Yard Care
08-19-2005, 09:48 PM
Definitely check the balance as another poster said by putting a nail or whatever in the hole and checking to see that the blade stays in position no matter where you initially place it. Our new Z had a noticeable vibration when we first put it in service until I sharpened and balanced the blades. I used a half inch rod and set the blade in between the jaws of our bench vice as this will let the blade rotate freely. One blade was very out of balance and when I corrected this the deck smoothed out a great deal.

stumper1620
08-20-2005, 02:56 PM
Definitely check the balance as another poster said by putting a nail or whatever in the hole and checking to see that the blade stays in position no matter where you initially place it. Our new Z had a noticeable vibration when we first put it in service until I sharpened and balanced the blades. I used a half inch rod and set the blade in between the jaws of our bench vice as this will let the blade rotate freely. One blade was very out of balance and when I corrected this the deck smoothed out a great deal.
I check my new blades and the last set of Gators I bought had 1 blade that was so far off balance when i put it on my wall mount balancer it went straight to the 6:00 position fast, I took a lot of steel off that blade to get it balanced. I never would've thought a blade could be that far off until I got that balancer.

SENClandmower
08-20-2005, 05:43 PM
Take it from one who use to balance large industrial equipment. A balance component will save you a lot of repair bills also because your equipment will run longer. A properly balanced object once rotating at the operating speed will basically suspend itself in the bearings with little to no load on the bearings. Vertical supports will see more load than the horizontal in these cases.

Jason Rose
08-22-2005, 12:15 AM
90 bucks for a really acurate one, scroll midway down this page.
http://www.saw-toolsharpening.com/lawnmowerSharpening01.html

Well thanks for the link man! I checked it out and, well, It looked good to me. I have one of the "cone balancers" Like on down that page, but not one of the steps on it will match the hole size of my blades, they are odd, like 11/16" I think...

I have seen the Magna Matic balancer, looks like that one for 90 bucks, and I think theirs was more like 150. I'm giving it a shot. If I find that none of my blades are out of balance I'm sending YOU the bill! LOL!

stumper1620
08-22-2005, 12:22 AM
Well thanks for the link man! I checked it out and, well, It looked good to me. I have one of the "cone balancers" Like on down that page, but not one of the steps on it will match the hole size of my blades, they are odd, like 11/16" I think...

I have seen the Magna Matic balancer, looks like that one for 90 bucks, and I think theirs was more like 150. I'm giving it a shot. If I find that none of my blades are out of balance I'm sending YOU the bill! LOL!
Ok, I really like mine.
you may need to grind the paint a little in the center area of the blade so the mags can hold it tight. :D

Jason Rose
08-22-2005, 12:46 AM
Ok, I really like mine.
you may need to grind the paint a little in the center area of the blade so the mags can hold it tight. :D

Something else I kinda spaced out on... I forgot that the blades need to be CLEAN. Correct? Like after they are used, during some seasons (usually spring) they get caked up with 'gunk'. Not a big issue, they are basically clean right now, but the wire brush wheel on the bench grinder is a rather dangerous thing! Time to invest in a whole face shield! I so nearly took a piece of wire to the eye one day. It stuck in my cheek about 1/16" from my eye. So close it was hard to tell for sure. That's too damn close for my comfort... 26 years old, and yeah, still take saftey stuff for granted. dumb dumb dumb me.