PDA

View Full Version : Paying Your Employees

OH-grasshopperlover
08-20-2005, 05:59 AM
Here's some background on my situation...

This is my 8th year in the LC Industry, mostly in Minnesota. I have had zero injuries (other than hornet stings) on the job. Never had an accident with the vehicles or ZTR's. Always on time, never call in sick. I have great attention to detail; trimming is as close to perfect as you can get, striping is perfectly straight, always make the drives/walk ways look like we were never there. I can repair most mechanical issues in the field. I can run a crew of up to 6 people or run solo. Can be trusted. In the winter, I have my own Bronco with Western Plow. Skilled in Landscaping. I also have a sales/mkting background.

Now...

I moved to Ohio in December, called around to the local LCO's and hooked up with a small operation that is run by a hubby and wife. In the interview, it was understood that I would make $8/hr and 40% of profit for a couple weeks, then a raise after that. We were running 2 people, now I am solo with their equipment. I have aspirations of running my own LCO really soon. I never did get a raise even though I performed above their standards. Spent numerous hours on here (great advice guys!), marketing, ect. They keep promising me more money and giving me great compliments in front of clients and when traveling to job sites but when it comes to deserved compensation, they clam up.

What should I do for next year???

I can't continue to give them everything I have for $8/hr. The landscape jobs are few and far between but I make $18/hr avg. (based on profit). I have around $7k saved up for equipment, already have the truck w/plow.

Should I move on and start my own company? Am I whining? How much would you pay someone with my abilities? I love working for the people that I'm with but, don't feel like I should be making $8/hr with my experience...

Any comments? Suggestions???

Thanks All!!!

Chad

OH-grasshopperlover
08-20-2005, 08:10 AM
"it was understood that I would make $8/hr and 40% of profit for a couple weeks"

The 40% is on landscaping jobs ONLY, not profit on lawn mowing...

Sorry for the confusion

The Ripper
08-20-2005, 08:19 AM
If you lived around here I would pay you $10.00 an hour and gladly share i nthe profits for any landscape jobs that you brought in to the business. I also wouldn't have you out working by yourself (that is too boring even for a pro like you).

OH-grasshopperlover
08-20-2005, 08:50 AM
Thanks for he feedback Ripper! I agree that $10/hr is about right for this market in this area. I was making $14/hr as a Foreman in MN...

Turf Lady
08-20-2005, 09:00 AM
Hey grasshopper, :waving:

Send me an email !

OH-grasshopperlover
08-20-2005, 09:07 AM
I tried to email you, however, it states that you do not want emails from lawnsite. Send me one! chadmsmithohio@yahoo.com

grassman2001
08-20-2005, 10:43 AM
I'm in southwest ohio, and with your experience it sounds like you could be in the $15 an hour range down here cause you would probably be a foreman. If it would be I would give you a kickback for every job that you brought to the company. Since you have your own plow truck, I would probably pay you as an indapendant contactor in the winter. As far as braching out on your own goes, I might start by plowing on your own this winter, and then do a massive adveritsing campaign in early spring to branch out on your own.

Nathan 281
08-20-2005, 01:21 PM
Sounds like you had a good record in MN why leave? what were you getting payed here?

OH-grasshopperlover
08-20-2005, 01:42 PM
I was making $14/hr running a crew. I moved here to be with my now fiance! MN is where I would be planning on starting my new biz if I chose to follow that path. I already have a HOA on board for me if I come there. Thanks for the replies, I appreciate all of them...

Chad :waving:

OH-grasshopperlover
08-21-2005, 10:51 PM
Well, thanks for the few people that gave me feedback on this. It must be a sore subject with folks on here. I actually expected more, rip on me or whatever. Yes, I got job offers. I wanted advice! Thanks a TON to the people that responded, you know who you are. I will crawl back in my hole now and be an employee. When I own my own biz, I will be back to posting. Have a great fall ya'll! :pumpkin:

greywynd
08-22-2005, 12:22 AM
For what it's worth, I think you deserve the raise to at least $10/hour if everything you say is as it is. I know I personally feel that anyone that has some common sense, is a decent worker and can run some equipment without putting it in the repair shop all the time should be about 2x minimum wage, and then be adjusted from there. (Minimum wage here is about 7.50? right now, I often start my casual helpers at about 12, but often will bump them up to 15, sometimes even the first paycheck, when I've seen that they can work. (If they didn't last that long it's not an issue.) I had one guy 3-4 years back that I did that with, he always went the extra mile after that. Unforunately I only needed him for a few weeks for a couple of specific jobs, but it gave him the extra that he needed until he found some other work, as it was he was only available because of a company closure.

JimLewis
08-22-2005, 03:47 AM

What should I do for next year???

Should I move on and start my own company?
Any comments? Suggestions???

Thanks All!!!

Chad

Chad, YES! Start your own company now. If you have half a brain and a good amount of persistence, then you need to start your own co. ASAP. If you're even asking yourself that question, then the answer is YES, IMO. Most people who aren't meant to be leaders or business owners never ask themselves that question. They already know they are happy just being a worker bee. Or at the very least, they realize they don't have what it takes to ever run something on their own. But if you suspect you do - you probably do! Go for it! Now!

daltonbuck
08-28-2005, 08:30 PM
$8/hr?! Are you kidding me?! When I first came into the lawn care business, I worked for a family friend with a well established LCO business. At first (I was 16) he paid me $8/hr for picking up trash, cleaning up crape merdles, stick edging, and a little line trimming. Quickly, I graduated to doing anything and everything except running the ZTR's...along with this came a $10/hr pay rate. Soon, he took on so much business that he bought a whole new rig and made me the foreman of a 4 person crew (I was a full time college student as well). I then was making $16/hr.

My thought: You are taking it up the rear from these folks. Take your 7K and buy you a used ZTR and other necessary equipment to get you on your feet and drop them. The extra profit they are paying you for "few and far between" lanscaping jobs are just a penny they are throwing at you to make you stick around. The numbers sound better than they really are.

If you are as experienced as you say, you should easily be able to get on your feet with a quickness. Make no mistake about it, though, you are getting screwed by these jews.

OH-grasshopperlover
09-08-2005, 11:39 PM
I did find someone off of here, or did they find me?, but I am now making somewhat what I deserve, running things along with the owner, making decent money, and overall HAPPY. The reason I pulled the trigger on my former employer is that we had a situation with the hitch/trailer combo. Long story short, we had a mulch job (the 40% deal), would have made me $13.00/hr. Short job, maybe 3 hrs. Well, hitch rusted out of the F350, bought a drop hitch rated for only 3k lbs (can't bring the tractor w/ bucket). So it's all manual labor, drops all hope of profit, and during Sunday of Labor Day. It would have worked out to $3-4 bucks an hour. So that went nuts and he tried to hold my 6'6" Western Plow, dropped it in a ditch with no hitch pins. Well, I picked it up and plopped it in my Bronco and took off. That's the respect I got for being able to run solo and take care of a lot of stuff, making $8/hr. I don't think that anyone on here would have been a d i c k like that. But, like I said, it was a means to an end and now it's working out. More than likely will assume the equipment and accounts (still have to work out what I would pay for that) in the future. SO, not many employees are on here but if you ARE experienced (this means more than 3 years and over 22 y/o, valid DL and good record), post your concerns on here, someone is willing to take you in and take care of what their business needs and what you are looking for.

Take Care and THANKS TAZZ!!!!

Chad

lawn_jockey
09-09-2005, 12:41 AM
keep the sluring with 12pack

$8/hr?! Are you kidding me?! When I first came into the lawn care business, I worked for a family friend with a well established LCO business. At first (I was 16) he paid me $8/hr for picking up trash, cleaning up crape merdles, stick edging, and a little line trimming. Quickly, I graduated to doing anything and everything except running the ZTR's...along with this came a $10/hr pay rate. Soon, he took on so much business that he bought a whole new rig and made me the foreman of a 4 person crew (I was a full time college student as well). I then was making $16/hr.

My thought: You are taking it up the rear from these folks. Take your 7K and buy you a used ZTR and other necessary equipment to get you on your feet and drop them. The extra profit they are paying you for "few and far between" lanscaping jobs are just a penny they are throwing at you to make you stick around. The numbers sound better than they really are.

If you are as experienced as you say, you should easily be able to get on your feet with a quickness. Make no mistake about it, though, you are getting screwed by these jews.

OH-grasshopperlover
09-09-2005, 12:57 AM
whoaa! Why is everything that is said in the world have to do with racism...I feel that everyone is entitled to opinion, yes, you feel that the "jew" comment is racist, BUT, Dalton is entitled to his opinion. I had no idea that this world got soooo bad that people are checking LawnSite for racism. Un-Fricken_Believable! Did you have a suggestion on the thread or just being the racism police? This site is about everyone getting suggestions about how to better yourself or your business, not about racism. Keep it to the GREEN industry please, or is that racist against the GREEN people? oppps, there I go being racist against the GREEN people. Sorry, WTF has this sad world come to?

daveintoledo
09-09-2005, 09:09 AM
he just politely told you what a moderator will tell you maybe not so politely

we all read and agreed to the rules of the forum right?????????

cursing or racilly sluring any group is not allowed thats all

and you cant use the (s) word either scr&% (new rule)

now get out there and start your own business, sounds like you have what it takes

OH-grasshopperlover
09-09-2005, 10:38 PM
Dave,

Lawn Jockey was referring to DaltonBuck in his post, not me. Maybe I was over sensitized by all of the finger pointing and racism on the news regarding Katrina. Oh well...