PDA

View Full Version : float like a butterfly, sting like a bee

bobbygedd
08-20-2005, 04:44 PM
i was mowing a lawn today, and there was a tight area, with overgrown junipers, and a small section of turf. no biggie, i'll squeeze thru, and let the junipers scratch up my arm and neck, no biggie. so, i'm going thru, and "ouch, ouch, damn, those are some pointy junipers......." i got stung about 5 times before i realized they werent the junipers pinching me, i was being swarmed by bees. i got stung about 10-15 times all on my back, right through my shirt. my lightning fast reflexes allowed me to avoid any further damage, and i got away , and looked back at about 30 bees hovering over the juniper bush. i dusted my self off, sent chico over to finish with the wacker, and off we went. my question is, can i sue the homeowner for this? i feel i have suffered mental trauma, and emotional damage, not to mention pain and suffering. oh, and my neck, i think i got whiplash as i lunged to escape the attack. can i sue?

mcwlandscaping
08-20-2005, 04:53 PM
That has happened to me before, sucks big time. I don't know if you can sue or not though, i wouldn't think so though, not sure.

southlin
08-20-2005, 05:02 PM
I hate people who sue for stupid stuff. You think they put the bees there on purpose to sting you. Come on man!

How would you feel if the cable man sued you if he got stung by bees in your yard.

bobbygedd
08-20-2005, 05:05 PM
I hate people who sue for stupid stuff. You think they put the bees there on purpose to sting you. Come on man!

How would you feel if the cable man sued you if he got stung by bees in your yard.
i'd feel like i was finally getting some use out of my homeowners insurence. stupid stuff? ha! i am tramatized

nobagger
08-20-2005, 05:06 PM
That has happened to me before, sucks big time. I don't know if you can sue or not though, i wouldn't think so though, not sure.
Why??????????????? Thats like trying to sue someone for an "act of God" or something. Comes with the territory.

mcwlandscaping
08-20-2005, 05:07 PM
Thats why i said i didn't think so but, no big deal.

southlin
08-20-2005, 05:20 PM
i'd feel like i was finally getting some use out of my homeowners insurence. stupid stuff? ha! i am tramatized

then your insurances goes up, smart move
;)

bobbygedd
08-20-2005, 05:42 PM
not my insurence

Ric
08-20-2005, 06:07 PM
BooBy

It might be hard for you to see from the back seat of the bus, But. You are a Licensed pesticide operator, I don't think Bitterman would have a good case.

bobbygedd
08-20-2005, 06:12 PM
licensed in turf management, not killer wasps. i'm suing. beats the hell out of working

Kate Butler
08-20-2005, 07:10 PM
Be grateful that you didn't go into anaphylactic shock from that many stings: it only takes 5 or 6 to set me off. I always have an up to date EpiPen with me just in case.

rodfather
08-20-2005, 07:18 PM
Be grateful that you didn't go into anaphylactic shock from that many stings: it only takes 5 or 6 to set me off. I always have an up to date EpiPen with me just in case.

Kate, do you need a doctor's script to get one of those? I was told that you do...

Runner
08-20-2005, 07:20 PM
my question is, can i sue the homeowner for this? i feel i have suffered mental trauma, and emotional damage, can i sue?

You can't sue for pre-existing conditions. :p :D

olderthandirt
08-20-2005, 07:24 PM
Can you sue? YES!
can you win NO!
Can you be made to pay punitive damages for a frivolous lawsuit ? Absolutely
payup

Mark McC
08-20-2005, 07:24 PM
The only way you could sue for that is if you could start the lawsuit in the U.S. 9th District Court of Appeals, which is notorious for entertaining some of the most ludicrous notions in the entire judicial system. Unfortunately, you cannot start in the U.S. 9th or any other district court of appeals.

On the other hand, gang, maybe Bobby's just pulling our legs. Derrrrrrrrrrr.

Brianslawn
08-20-2005, 07:38 PM
bobby, are you cutting grass or smoking it?

lawnman_scott
08-20-2005, 07:55 PM
Kate, do you need a doctor's script to get one of those? I was told that you do...
Yes you do. It only takes me one sting and I swell and my throat starts closing up. And yes bobby can sue anyone he wants to, its a free country.

sildoc
08-20-2005, 08:01 PM
This is a ridiculous thread. The only helpful info from it is that a epinephrine shot(synthetic adrenaline) will help you long enough to get you to a medical professional. Yes you need a prescription for it, and yes you need to see a qualified doctor to give you the prescription

rodfather
08-20-2005, 08:03 PM
Yes you do. It only takes me one sting and I swell and my throat starts closing up. And yes bobby can sue anyone he wants to, its a free country.

Thanks scott...think I will look into it.

Not sure as you get older multiple stings are worse for an individual than if you were in your 20's (I'm 50). I got stung 4 times by yellow jackets on last Tuesday. Damn do those MF's hurt. Those little bast***s will chase you clear across a lawn and down the road I swear. First the day or so of pain... and then 2 or 3 days of itching too.

What was the good Lord thinking???

olderthandirt
08-20-2005, 08:11 PM
they make good bait :D

Howard Roark
08-20-2005, 08:11 PM
Got tagged by a bee 2 weeks ago, and a hornet or wasp this past Tuesday. Went right through my glove and nailed my hand, quite a different pain than the bee, as it had my entire hand swolen and itching right up to today.

I'm suing bobbygedd for bringing up the topic as I had repressed the entire memory prior to him posting this.

Kate Butler
08-20-2005, 08:55 PM

Yes, you do need a prescription for an EpiPen, but well worth the expense by not having to worry about your throat closing up and becoming dead after one too many venomous stings. It gets a bit dicey about having 'em on hand for employees, though (medicine without a license, etc..). I have a fellow working with me this season who's quite allergic and he has his own. I told him I wouldn't take the chance (of having him work) without him carrying one at all times.

It's a good season when no one needs their EpiPen! I knew (note the past tense) a fellow who KNEW he was allergic but didn't realize that every time he was stung, his reaction escalated. He was found in the woods about an hour too late.

Dwan
08-20-2005, 09:40 PM
Go for it, Just think about it, standing in court striped to the ankles just to show the bite marks. maybe you better make sure thoes sting marks stay in like new condition by getting your own nest and putting it under your bed.
I can see it now CSI unit pulling the little stingers out with a pre of tweesers just so they can get a DNA making sure thoes bees came from the customers house. You would have to prove which bees they were, not just any bees but each bee by name. That is if bees have names and not numbers. All right bee up aginst the wall. ware were you when so and so was stung? you got an aliby?

LOl

lawnman_scott
08-20-2005, 10:07 PM

Not sure as you get older multiple stings are worse for an individual than if you were in your 20's (I'm 50). I got stung 4 times by yellow jackets on last Tuesday. Damn do those MF's hurt. Those little bast***s will chase you clear across a lawn and down the road I swear. First the day or so of pain... and then 2 or 3 days of itching too.

What was the good Lord thinking???The way the doctor explained it to me was that unlike other allergies like hayfever that sometimes goes away as your exposed to it, a beesting can get worse and worse, then one day you get stung and get a life threatening reaction. Mine happened in a matter of 30-45 minutes, I couldnt breathe or talk good byu the time I got to the hospital. On the bright side I was helped immediatly. Good thing I wasnt in Canada. After taking my # and waiting there I would be dead.

KenH
08-20-2005, 10:28 PM
i got stung about 5 times................ my lightning fast reflexes ..................

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Jason Rose
08-20-2005, 10:49 PM
Wasps! I was actually just thinking about this a week ago. I encountered a large nest (15 or so) of, what we call "paper wasps" the ones that make the honeycomb looking nest, usually under eaves, in empty bird feeders, playground equipment, and so on. This one was under a wood box that was about 6' x 6' and was completely hidden from sight. This was within 6 feet of a swimming pool. The box was about a foot and a half high, the perfect place to flop your butt down to take off your shoes and get in the pool... I had just happened to set the powerhead of my edger on the side of it to turn on the hose in the pool and turned back around to see 4 of them checking it out! I waited till they decided it wasn't a threat and then took the edger back to the truck and got my can of wasp spray I always carry. I ended up using the whole can trying to get enough mist under the boards to nuke 'em. An hour later, as I was finishing I finally had the guts to open the lid and sure enough there was numerous casualities but still 2 survivors on the nest where the spray couldn't reach. I toasted them!

What would have happened if a kid sat down on there and was stung ????? times before they knew what was happening. What if the pool guy was allergic and dropped a pole on the box while cleaning the pool? What if the lawn guy got stung a few times?

Is the property owner neglegent??? They should be aware of these hazzards on their property. A nest starts with ONE wasp and then grows over time. This nest had been there for probably 2 months. No I wasn't thinking about sueing, but I wondered if someone could.... I understand it's would have to be a no-fault if the nest is in a out of the way location on the property, but to be within 15 feet of the back patio door and 6 feet of the pool one has to be oblivious not to notice that.

mkwl
08-20-2005, 11:00 PM
i was mowing a lawn today, and there was a tight area, with overgrown junipers, and a small section of turf. no biggie, i'll squeeze thru, and let the junipers scratch up my arm and neck, no biggie. so, i'm going thru, and "ouch, ouch, damn, those are some pointy junipers......." i got stung about 5 times before i realized they werent the junipers pinching me, i was being swarmed by bees. i got stung about 10-15 times all on my back, right through my shirt. my lightning fast reflexes allowed me to avoid any further damage, and i got away , and looked back at about 30 bees hovering over the juniper bush. i dusted my self off, sent chico over to finish with the wacker, and off we went. my question is, can i sue the homeowner for this? i feel i have suffered mental trauma, and emotional damage, not to mention pain and suffering. oh, and my neck, i think i got whiplash as i lunged to escape the attack. can i sue?

Oh brother . :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Are you sure you aren't related to the Woman who sued McDonalds for $10 million a few years ago and won, because they didn't have "Coffee is hot" stamped on the cup. Maybe you should have the homeowner put up a sign that says "DANGER- you are in an area where there may be dangerous insects". LOL.

southlin
08-20-2005, 11:26 PM
AMATUER! Then you have that reputation for the rest of your life.
Some of the happiest people in the world come home smelling the high heaven at the end of the day.

Remember:" the lord dont whip you with a whip"

greywynd
08-20-2005, 11:35 PM
The way the doctor explained it to me was that unlike other allergies like hayfever that sometimes goes away as your exposed to it, a beesting can get worse and worse, then one day you get stung and get a life threatening reaction. Mine happened in a matter of 30-45 minutes, I couldnt breathe or talk good byu the time I got to the hospital. On the bright side I was helped immediatly. Good thing I wasnt in Canada. After taking my # and waiting there I would be dead.

And Canada would be a better place for it with attitudes and comments like yours, do us a fovour, and stay south of the border :rolleyes:

rodfather
08-21-2005, 01:23 AM
[QUOTEdo us a fovour:[/QUOTE]

no problem. btw, what is a fovour?

SoloMow
08-21-2005, 01:41 AM
Bobby,
Drink 6 beers, take 2 aspirin, and post again in the morning. :cool:

olderthandirt
08-21-2005, 01:45 AM
well, in my back yard, i have a fence, surrounding the pool. one of the kids took the end cap off of the one end of the fence, leaving an opening. well, some bees or wasps built a nest in the opening. yesterday, i'm in the pool, and the deaf kid comes over, we talk to eachother in sign language, mostly it's me pointing to the cooler, and him fetching me another beer. so, he walks through the gate, and i guess out of the corner of his eye he sees something fly into the opening on the end of the fence. being a curious child, he puts his eyeball right into the opening to see what it was...

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=113721&highlight=deaf

Might not want to be talking about suing over a few bee stings :D

ALarsh
08-21-2005, 01:59 AM
Bobby,
Drink 6 beers, take 2 aspirin, and post again in the morning. :cool:
and finish smoking the rest of your weed.

lawnman_scott
08-21-2005, 02:53 AM
And Canada would be a better place for it with attitudes and comments like yours, do us a fovour, and stay south of the border :rolleyes:Ever been to a deli that has those metal #'s you take and they call them out when your ready to be served? Me either, but i was at a hospital with them!!! Guess where........ I find it amazing that you dont hear stories of family members going nuts and getting loved ones help by force at some of these "hospitals". If you want to live in the fairytale that you have good health care, by all means do so, but I unlike most on here actually saw it with my own eyes. We got there at 8 am and left at 9 pm. If I was a millionaire we would have been on a helecopter to detroit or any hicktown upper mich/wis hospital in a second.

Evergreenpros
08-21-2005, 03:21 AM
This is a ridiculous thread. The only helpful info from it is that a epinephrine shot(synthetic adrenaline) will help you long enough to get you to a medical professional. Yes you need a prescription for it, and yes you need to see a qualified doctor to give you the prescription

I guarantee a worker could get workmen's comp benefits for being stung 15 times, or more. Probably get a month off, rehab, full pay, etc etc. I had a worker work for me for 3 days, did a workmen's comp claim (Labor and Industries here in Washington) and got diagnoised with tendeonitus and got full benefits for 90 days. Of course the worker never showed up again.

That homeowner is probably one of the dolts that think you're rich and exploiting the little guy just because you "own" a business. They probably support our workmen's comp system and think it's "aye ok". Furthermore, they probably won't pay their bill because they don't think anyone has the brains to collect from them since all you do is mow lawns.

Yep, sue.

greywynd
08-21-2005, 04:29 AM
Ever been to a deli that has those metal #'s you take and they call them out when your ready to be served? Me either, but i was at a hospital with them!!!
I can't say I ever saw one of these setups here, but I won't say that it doesn't exist. Our system is nowhere near perfect, I never claimed it was. All I was saying that most of us Canucks don't have the attitude issues that some Americans seem to have (I can think of more than one example on this site :blob3: :blob3:

Guess where........ I find it amazing that you dont hear stories of family members going nuts and getting loved ones help by force at some of these "hospitals".
Well, I could see some of your postal workes doing just that, or Bobby and his shovel. :rolleyes:

If you want to live in the fairytale that you have good health care, by all means do so, but I unlike most on here actually saw it with my own eyes. We got there at 8 am and left at 9 pm. If I was a millionaire we would have been on a helecopter to detroit or any hicktown upper mich/wis hospital in a second.
Well, we tend to drag our visitors from out of country along, hoping they go away rather than give them reasonable priced medical care when they need a bandaid on a boo-boo. Longest I ever saw for any emergency treatment was about 3 hours, stitches done etc.....and on our way. (Unless it was someone that had to stay for treatment of course.)
Besides, I thought you had to be a millionaire to visit a hospital in the U.S.?
:dizzy: :dizzy:

topsites
08-21-2005, 05:52 AM

Here is where we may differ....

In my business, to each his own. Let me explain:
When *I* destroy something in the yard through no real fault of my own such as toys that were left out OR the old sprinkler head that wouldn't go back down, then I am NOT responsible.
When my equipment is broken through something other than maintenance reasons (such as a rock or a root) OR I get HURT through no real fault of the customer's, then THEY are NOT responsible.

What is real fault?
Real fault would be if the customer dug a hole and then covered it somehow with the INTENTION that I would ride over it and have a problem as the customer watches from inside the house and has a good laugh.
Real fault would be if I SEE there is a BRIGHT YELLOW garden hose splayed out in the yard yet I am too proud to pick it up and just go mowing right over it as it cuts it into small pieces.
So basically real fault to me is willful, intentional negligence. Something that resulted in damage on purpose and for a reason other than fate or bad luck.

You know, preventable stuff, was it done on purpose or was it an accident?
In the case of the bees, my answer is a simple no, the customer is not responsible and be glad you're not allergic or you would've had to RUSH to the nearest hospital as you could've died within the hour. Hell yeah that stuff hurts but if every LCO sued everytime one got hurt, we'd never get out of court long enough to get any work done and right when you think you got it bad, check out this thread on PAIN -
http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=116039

I've suffered broken bones and all sorts of pains in these yards before but none were really the customer's FAULT. Now even IF the customer KNEW the nest of bees existed, them not telling you about it is still not their fault unless they forgot to tell you on purpose thou I really doubt this would be the case thou in the future maybe relax a little more around your regular customers hehehe

topsites
08-21-2005, 05:56 AM
then your insurances goes up, smart move
;)

No, worse yet, EVERYBODY's insurance goes up.

topsites
08-21-2005, 06:02 AM

Yeah I got stung 4 times by them myself 2-3 weeks ago and it literally feels like they're injecting fire into your skin, I swear it hurts worse than a regular bee sting. I still got the marks on my skin, and hey they nest in the GROUND bobby so when you ride your mower along there is really NO warning.

TURFLORD
08-21-2005, 09:55 AM
Oh brother . :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Are you sure you aren't related to the Woman who sued McDonalds for $10 million a few years ago and won, because they didn't have "Coffee is hot" stamped on the cup. Maybe you should have the homeowner put up a sign that says "DANGER- you are in an area where there may be dangerous insects". LOL.
Man I was thinking the same thing. I say sue those damn bees. Bobby should get one of those Scheiyster lawyers and teach those bees a lesson. If that dumb-@ss lady can get 10, Bobby might get 50. Of course I should get 1 million for this good advice :)

lawnman_scott
08-21-2005, 10:27 AM
Well, we tend to drag our visitors from out of country along, hoping they go away rather than give them reasonable priced medical care when they need a bandaid on a boo-boo.
First MORON, it wasnt a boo-boo, and it wasnt a visitor. It was a miscarraige and she was in more pain than I have ever seen anyone in and bleeding like crasy. I have also heard so many stories about the medical field there that you wouldnt beleive, and everyone else would think I got them from a comedians jokes not reality, so whats the use. You have great medical care, happy? Talk to someone in a small town.

greywynd
08-21-2005, 11:14 PM
First MORON, it wasnt a boo-boo, and it wasnt a visitor. It was a miscarraige and she was in more pain than I have ever seen anyone in and bleeding like crasy. I have also heard so many stories about the medical field there that you wouldnt beleive, and everyone else would think I got them from a comedians jokes not reality, so whats the use. You have great medical care, happy? Talk to someone in a small town.

First of all, I don't appreciate being called something that I am not.

Second of all, those comedy stories must work both ways, but I know first hand of some severe problems/shortcomings with some of the American hospitals/medical system as well, I had an uncle pass away in Florida unnecessessarily a few years back because of poor care, medicatition mess-ups, etc, but there was no way we could prove it from this far away, and of course all of the 'professionals' banded together to help cover it all up.

As far as talking to someone in a small town, would you prefer I talk to myself in the mirror, or someone else in the vicinity? Peterborough, Ontario, which I list as my location, is a town of about 70,000 people, with one hospital. Up until about 3 years ago, it was the same as any other hospital in 'small town' or rural Ontario, or Canada for that matter. We were fortunate enough that it was designated a 'regional' hospital about that time, so it now receives extra funding, support and the like to help support the other hospitals in the region, and also to act somewhat like an emergency trauma unit, although most of the serious cases are still air lifted to a much larger centre, normally Toronto in our case. (I haven't had the misfortune to require this, but my father did about 5-6 years ago when he had a heart attack. I've known some others to require it as well.)

I am curious what hospital that your miscarriage happened at, and am sorry for what happened. From your original post it didn't sound like nearly as serious a problem as it was, I apologize if I came across in a way that I didn't mean to, I was simply poking some light hearted fun at my southern neighbours.

I realize that there are problems with both medical systems, neither are perfect, but, I've never known anyone here that had to declare bankruptcy because of a medical problem. Can you say that? I don't know, if you can, great, but, if you can't, doesn't it concern you?

Mark

shepoutside
08-22-2005, 12:29 AM
We got there at 8 am and left at 9 pm. .

It was a miscarraige and she was in more pain than I have ever seen anyone in and bleeding like crasy.

Soooo, your complaining that she was in for 13 Hours, for something like this? West Palm Hospital, same story, in for 3 days. Not sure what your thinking here :dizzy: It's Quality care in the North, and Quantity care , in the south, I know, I live at both ends. Never waited long for any help at any Hospital, for real emergency care, but know people that come in for colds, and such, wait a while, as they should.

yrdandgardenhandyman
08-22-2005, 01:49 AM

A tough guy like you lets a few bee stings get you down? Like I always say, introduce this customer to the shovel and you won't have to sue.

bobbygedd
08-22-2005, 07:44 AM
A tough guy like you lets a few bee stings get you down? Like I always say, introduce this customer to the shovel and you won't have to sue.
nope, didn't let them get to me. ha, bees, i aint afraid of no bees, i put bees in my cereal. think i got a case?

yrdandgardenhandyman
08-22-2005, 12:56 PM
nope, didn't let them get to me. ha, bees, i aint afraid of no bees, i put bees in my cereal. think i got a case?

Wellllllllllllllllllllllllllll, NO!! :waving:

txlawnking
08-22-2005, 01:04 PM
Got tagged by a bee 2 weeks ago, and a hornet or wasp this past Tuesday. Went right through my glove and nailed my hand, quite a different pain than the bee, as it had my entire hand swolen and itching right up to today.

I'm suing bobbygedd for bringing up the topic as I had repressed the entire memory prior to him posting this.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! :D Howard, I'm got a good laugh outta the repressed memories :D

trying 2b organic
08-22-2005, 01:56 PM
Please, our universal health care is the only thing we have to cling to to feel superior. Don't try to tell a Canadian our health care sucks, they will fight that truth as if thier identity depends on it. (it does) :waving:

lawnman_scott
08-22-2005, 11:17 PM
Please, our universal health care is the only thing we have to cling to to feel superior. Don't try to tell a Canadian our health care sucks, they will fight that truth as if thier identity depends on it. (it does) :waving:
No, you have plenty, really. You dont send rockets to space to beat the russians...... crap like that. You had the brains to get into wwII before us, But I stick to my opinion, the health care is like our Medicare/medicade government run crap.

Grass Busters Inc.
08-23-2005, 04:39 PM
bobby, are you cutting grass or smoking it?

Thats funny :D