PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening Blades

Fubba
08-20-2005, 05:49 PM
What's the best way to sharpen blades without damaging the actual structure and shape of it? I've used a grinder in the past, but I would just like to hear some ideas of alternative ways of doing this.

dfor
08-20-2005, 07:02 PM
To answer your question, personally I don't think that a grinder will damage the actual structure or shape at all.

You'll find alot of info here.

http://www.lawnsite.com/search.php?searchid=478295

South Florida Lawns
08-20-2005, 08:18 PM
Thats all there is to them my friend.

Nosmo
08-20-2005, 11:34 PM
I clamp the blades down on a bench or saw horse and use a hand held belt sander . I use a nail driven into a stud in the wall to check
for balance afterwards.

Nosmo

Cimarron Landscape
08-20-2005, 11:36 PM
I'm a knifemaker, and we use belt grinders.
I've got a cheap $90 craftsmen that I do it with. First I run it on my bench grinder, then go to the belt grinder. You can cut yourself with it if you aren't careful.

gogetter
08-21-2005, 12:46 AM
What's the best way to sharpen blades

Come on guy! Search button, search button, search button!!!!

Fubba
08-21-2005, 01:44 AM
About how long does it take with the belt sander?

Nosmo
08-21-2005, 08:54 AM
With a new belt or one that is not worn out it probably takes more time to clamp the blade down 2-times than it does to sharpen both ends.

This is just a guess but if the blade isn't in bad shape I'd say it takes probably about 30 seconds to a minute on each end. Never really timed it myself.

Nosmo

TURFLORD
08-21-2005, 09:42 AM
What's the best way to sharpen blades without damaging the actual structure and shape of it? I've used a grinder in the past, but I would just like to hear some ideas of alternative ways of doing this.
Any way that works best for you. Belt sander, bench grinder, hand grinder,etc. Just make sure the angle is about 35 degrees or so. When your done sharpening dip it in cold water. That'll help re-temper it a bit.

yardmanlee
08-21-2005, 10:48 AM
I use a air powered tool w/ 3" flap disk 60 grit, it dosent take long and it puts a very sharp edge on the blade. I sharpen them once a week its better than using a grinder and taking too much off the blade they last a whole lot
longer.