PDA

View Full Version : Help with 5-10 acres

glynnm45
08-20-2005, 06:05 PM
I have a good neighbor who wants to renovate/reseed a 5 acre possibly a 10 acre area behind his house into a large lawn with the exception that he also wants the grass to be compatable with his wifes pet horse should they decide to let it onto the area. My question: is there a particular grass that should be seeded considering the horse and where would I buy the seed? Prep work has already started for a Sept. seeding
P.S. He/we live in southeastern Kansas.

GR8LAWNS
08-21-2005, 12:04 AM
Had a friend ask the same question. You need a seed that is endofite(sp?) free, somthing about the horse being in heat or something along those lines.You might suggest doing a smaller area, acre or two with this seed,keep the horse in that area during "that time" and remaning area with a more affordable seed.

Indydirtfarmer
08-22-2005, 06:19 AM
One of the main-stays of my business is seeding pastures. Most seed dealers will carry a "pasture mix", but it is simple to "make".

You want "ENDOPHITE-FREE" fescue. Normal fescues (with endophite) effect the delivery of foals, many times causing them to be still-born.

With the fescue, there is usually some orchard grass, Timothy, MAYBE some alfalfa (I'll get back to that one) some bluegrass, and a mix of clovers. (I'll address that one seperately also)

Fescue's will carry the pasture in hot, dry summer. Bluegrass is MOSTLY for effect Orchard grass and Timothy are the BEST grasses for a horse pasture, but aren't real strong in late summer.

Alfalfa is like jet fuel for horses. Older ones can't handle a lot. Even young horses need to be exersized (HARD) when on a diet with much alfalfa in it. Most experienced horse owners would rather feed alfalfa in controlled ammounts (hay feed) and NOT have it in their pastures.

Clover makes horses slobber if fed in significant ammounts. Not a real "crowd favorite" either. Clover will hang in through hot or dry weather, and will help fix nitrogen into the soil, building it up to help the OTHER grasses, but not popular as a feed....

When I mix my own seed, I use 40% endophite-free fescue, 20% orchardgrass, 15% Timothy 15% Bluegrass, 10% perrenial rye, and 5% mixed clovers. (Rye for quick "effect"....Let's customer see "movement" or growth in a few days....Keeps 'em happy)

Hope this helps.....

muddstopper
08-22-2005, 10:18 PM
Another seed type you might consider is some of the western wheat grasses. They are native to your area and buffalo lived on it for centuries. Most are rhyzominous so they spread, some quite aggressively, and can withstand heavy grazing. They are coolseason grasses and found as far north as the Dakotas and southern Canada and as far south as Texas. Just about everywhere except the southeastern U.S. Different companies have developed new varities that are supposed to make excellent drought/traffic resistant lawns with good texture but lack the dark green color that a lot of other grasses have. Cressed wheat grass is not a native varity but is pretty common when doing a search for western wheatgrass. I dont have any links so you will have to do your own google search

glynnm45
08-25-2005, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the information; I probably will go with a perennial Rye mix. Although, if it was the spring, I would go with Crabgrass.