PDA

View Full Version : Dog holes

BenchMark Landscaping
08-20-2005, 05:23 PM
Hey everyone....this is my first thread....woohoo...I've been reading a while on here...

anyways, thought I'd make my first post about holes that dogs dig...

I have a client that has holes in her yard that were dug by two decent sized dogs...what should I feel the holes with and what type of preventitive measures can I take to keep the dogs from redigging...

I know that this may sound stupid to some of you, but I have tried putting pepper in the holes...thought that the pepper would keep the dogs out...worked for about three hours the client said...

She said she is more than happy to hire me to fill the holes and seed or spot sod as long as I can keep the dogs from digging again...

The dogs are house dogs, but they do go out for a couple hours a day...

any help would be appreciated...

Littleriver1
08-20-2005, 05:33 PM
Fill the holes with the dogs. Cover over, tamp lightly.

BenchMark Landscaping
08-20-2005, 05:47 PM
I really don't think that the client would like that...;)

and also, the dogs don't come around me so I wouldn't be able to get my hands on them anyways...

turfcobob
08-22-2005, 10:09 AM
Dogs will dig but I am surprised they are digging in the same spots? If the owner cannot control the dogs the problem will not go away. But the owner can trim the dogs nails really short and the dogs digging tools will not work so well. I have even heard that if they trim them right back to the quick it will hurt the pups to dig so they quit.

Other wise they can put doggie boots on them..Kinda like muzzles for the feet.

I do not know of a prevenitive unless the people that make the stuff like deer chaser and etc have something.

I know do like we do with our hunting dogs. Put shock collar on them and anytime they start to dig zap them. that is how we train hunting dogs not to stray to far from the hunter.

turfcobob

daveintoledo
08-22-2005, 02:37 PM
but there poop in the holes befor you fill them, they dont like there own poop, usually works, if this does not, then they need to provide a place they are allowed to dig, usualy a sand box, google this subject and you will find these are the most given solutions.....

BenchMark Landscaping
08-23-2005, 12:28 AM
thanks for the suggestions guys...I found in a book I have that the holes should be filled with an organic matter/sand loam mix....and I'll try the poop idea....I'll use that as the organic matter...;)

meathead1134
08-23-2005, 09:24 AM
Hey everyone....this is my first thread....woohoo...I've been reading a while on here...

anyways, thought I'd make my first post about holes that dogs dig...

I have a client that has holes in her yard that were dug by two decent sized dogs...what should I feel the holes with and what type of preventitive measures can I take to keep the dogs from redigging...

I know that this may sound stupid to some of you, but I have tried putting pepper in the holes...thought that the pepper would keep the dogs out...worked for about three hours the client said...

She said she is more than happy to hire me to fill the holes and seed or spot sod as long as I can keep the dogs from digging again...

The dogs are house dogs, but they do go out for a couple hours a day...

any help would be appreciated...

I had this same problem with one of my customers in their back yard. I filled all the holes. The dam dogs dug in the same exact spots, I was scratching my head why would they dig in the same spots???

turfcobob
08-23-2005, 09:43 AM
Benchmark: I talked with a friend about this last night and he said the same thing about their droppings. He said if you put a dogs droppings in the hole toward the top they will not dig there. So go it "Organic Lawn Care" at it's best.

Turfcobob

Remsen1
08-23-2005, 01:53 PM
what type of preventitive measures can I take to keep the dogs from redigging.....

I don't think there is any good way, not any method that I would be comfortable charging for unless it was with NO garauntee. The dogs digging holes is not your responsibility. You can only make repairs. Just like planting plants that rabbits or deer like to eat, there is really nothing we can do to garauntee, especially not a long term garauntee, that they won't be eaten short of putting an ugly fence around the plant.

If you fill the holes and put poop in them, the next itteration for a dog is to dig a hole in another spot. What are you going to do, spread dog manure on the whole dog area? Have fun mowing that.

I'd tell the customer that I could help her with repairing the holes, but I can't do anything to control the dogs behavior.

cariboulou
08-30-2005, 08:17 PM
Im going with the poop idea, its worked for me before 3 times on 3 different dogs.