PDA

View Full Version : Tip Of The Day - 8/20/05

Sean Adams
08-20-2005, 06:39 PM
When creating a curved shaped bed, a great "tool" to use to outline the shape of the bed is a regular garden hose. Lay the hose down in the shape you want and you can paint a line along the hose or even edge directly along side the hose. Makes things a little easier...

Grassboy 101
08-20-2005, 09:27 PM
Great suggestion. May I add, before you actually cut the turf line, try to move your lawn mower around the proposed edge. Amazingly how often it looks gppd to the eye, but is too sharp to be practical.

LwnmwrMan22
08-20-2005, 11:16 PM
Great suggestion. May I add, before you actually cut the turf line, try to move your lawn mower around the proposed edge. Amazingly how often it looks gppd to the eye, but is too sharp to be practical.

You can always tell when landscaping / building is done by people that have no idea how much it's going to maintain a property.

I do a bank where I could mow the whole thing with the 60" mower. Middle of this summer they put in 15 trees with 5' tree rings. Now I've got to push mow 3/4 of the yard.

I'm not about to go out and spend $1000-2500 on a 36" walkbehind for this account until they sign me up for more years.

FFJSV
08-21-2005, 11:08 PM
Sean,

Great tip and it does work well. Grassboy, you are absolutely correct about checking out the maintenance aspect with the mower prior to creating the edge. I created a scalloped border around my pool and it looks great however, I was a little to sharp in two locations for my mower to get with efficiency.

Guthrie&Co
08-22-2005, 11:09 PM
even better is when the novise sprays the outline and the hose too. or when taking measurement they spray your 100ft' tape as well

Guthrie&Co
08-23-2005, 11:40 AM
*novice

typing to fast

treedoc1
08-23-2005, 12:00 PM
I carry 3 lengths of 1/2" white pvc or 1/2" gray plastic conduit along with a few short pieces of rebar.
It makes a nicer bend than the hose and it won't allow a bend that is too tight for a mower. The arcs and radius are smooth and even.
Don't have to worry about the paint getting on the pipe...spray away.

sheshovel
09-19-2005, 01:19 PM
That's a great idea treedoc.Thanks,I think I will use that one!